SOUTH AFRICA: Dangerous Plains Game Safari With KMG Hunting Safaris

.............. Frustration on my set in and I decided to shoot the largest pig in the middle of the bait station. Problem was the boar was off to the side at this point and I managed to drill the largest piglet in the sounder and a smaller one standing behind it. I was pissed at myself and for letting all of Marius's hard work fly out the window. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.

I feel for you. Sizing critters up in the dark is an acquired skill.

Tough deal getting a twofer when it's not the one you want. Sorry to hear about it. It will just get better..... Bruce

The first official hunt day is an early start at 0430 in order to be in the field with the predator control guy, Mr. Ford and his caracal pack by 0600. Marius and I arrive on time and are patiently waiting for the dogs to strike a trail. Plan is to stay close to the dogs until the dew burns off around 1000 and then hunt the same concession area for bushbuck. The resident bushbuck have been barking for several mornings at a suspected caracal in the area but by ten no trail is struck and we're off to the low fence cattle ranch land to scan for bushbuck coming out to sun. A couple of small Rams are spotted along with several females and right before we break for lunch a good shooter crosses the top of a ridge but gets behind enough brush to prevent a decent shot by the time we get into position. He eventually moves off to the thick stuff and we break for lunch and grab a burger in Port Alfred. We ate right next to this place that I'm sure Brickburn remembers from his travels last year.
image.jpg

Here's a pic of an unusual praying mantis found on the ranch.
image.jpg

After lunch we took a short nap by the marina and headed back to meet up with Mr. Ford and his son for another go after a bushbuck. We stalked along a quiet valley at the base of a granite bluff and spotted several bushbucks feeding at distances from 5 to 60 yards. I had set my standards rather high before the hunt and Marius was doing his best to get me in the 14" plus range. One of the Rams at 15 yards was a mature 13" which I should have taken but it was the first day of a ten day hunt so I passed. Towards early evening we move back to the big pasture hunted that morning and spotted several more small Rams and quite a few oribi. We hunt until dark and head back to the lodge for dinner and a good nights sleep, last night was a restless one having dreamed about bushpig all night after my screwup in the pig blind yesterday evening. Tomorrow we change things up and head out for waterbuck, the cat man will continue to run his dogs and call us if they strike the caracal.

Good luck & safe travels.

After sleeping in yesterday Sandy joins us for the hunt, Marius says we need her for luck along with wearing my new KMG hat that's been absent the previous two hunts. We arrive at the concession which is a huge property that Marius says runs all the way to the ocean on the other side of the mountains. The property has several hundred acres of meadow across the front which transforms to scattered thorn brush before changing to nasty thickets of hell. Large herds of blesbok, Impala, waterbuck, zebra and ostrich are feeding in the open areas along with more warthogs then I've ever seen in one place. As my luck would have it the wind is in the wrong direction for an easy stalk and were forced to circle in a wide loop and then crawl 500 yards to reach our quarry. Luckily this property is void of jumping cactus but had enough grass burrs to make up for it. We're finally in position for the short bipod and I lineup on a nice waterbuck slightly quartering to me. From a sitting position the shot feels good and the bullet thump from the suppressed 300 Win mag sounds like a solid hit. At the shot the big bull lunges forward and disappears behind some brush. Marius and I give chase and around the next set of trees there he is facing us at 60 yards, the sticks go up and as I thumb the safety forward too fast he hears the click and takes off. Marius called for assistance from Flex and Rigby as he had seen blood dripping from the Bulls nose and was confident of a lung shot. There was blood present where he had stood but we could never locate anymore after several hours of searching by us our tracker and two other farm workers. The dogs trailed over and over the same trail for quite a long distance but we never recover the bull or found anymore blood. During the course of driving throughout that part of the ranch we attempted several Impala stalks and one on a mountain reedbuck without success, at the rate I'm going this is going to be a long ten days. We break for lunch at a wonderful place called the Stall that has the most wonderful meat pies we've ever had. After lunch it's back to the farm, I'm in need of a confidence builder and tell Marius to put me on a good Impala. After glossing several herds we have a successful stalk on a nice ram with massive bases that measure 6.5" in circumference, what this guy lacks in length he makes up in mass. The shot enters just behind the left shoulder and the bullet is found under the skin halfway down the neck on the opposite side, he drops straight down on impact.

image.jpg

Now that the monkeys off my back we're back after waterbuck before dark. Same as this morning with the cooler evening temps animals are everywhere coming off the slope thickets to feed in the meadow. After a long winding stalk through warthog, zebra, Impala and waterbuck we spot the big ram we're looking for. After easing into position for the proper shot and for him to hopefully exit the trees the way we need him to all the stars finally align. The shot is a good solid double lung hit and I'm able to get a second round in him before he disappears in the thickest camel thorn patch I've ever run through. It's now time for Flex and Rigby to show their stuff and they perform flawlessly. They bay him up but the vegetation is so thick we keep making too much noise trying to locate him for a follow up. The dogs finally wear him down and he is finished. Man what an animal, just what I was looking for an impressive 30" monster. Life is good!

Brick, Turd says hi.

image.jpg

.............. We ate right next to this place that I'm sure Brickburn remembers from his travels last year.
image.jpg

You didn't get a meat pie! o_O Crazy man.

Trophy hunting at its best is passing on the ones that are close even on the first day. It is a hard pill to swallow some days though.

Friday day three finds us headed to Marius's Nyala property where his old lodge was located on the Great Fish River. After meeting the farm staff and signing the necessary release forms we head down into the main valley and game is abundant. After a short walk down the main road we spot a large herd of Impala at a waterhole with several nayala bulls making their way to join them. Everything is bunched together and as they move off together we start a stalk down from our higher elevation vantage point. We're on the sticks several times but can't get the shot at the correct bull and everything heads off down the canyon through the thick cover. It's off to the other side of the ranch for some glassing at several places including one of the lodges located on the property. Kudu, Impala, Nayala and warthog are abundant. Late in the morning we spot a large mature Nayala bull headed down the opposite slope from where we're parked into a thick brushed ravine. We grab the gun and sticks with the intention of closing the gap before he disappears. After a mad dash of five to six hundred yards it's obvious he beat us to the brush line at the bottom of the dry creek bed and we slow our progress to a snails pace trying to get close enough for a shot without being detected. As we work our way to the bottom Marius spots the first of a least five Bulls held up in the thick brush at the bottom. There's one on the right at thirty yards two or more straight ahead at less then ten and at least two on our left at 15. They dam near have us surrounded, now we play the waiting game. We're finally busted by the group on the left, the one we wanted was straight ahead and less than five yards when all hell breaks loose, this was a fun stalk. It's an adrenalin rush to get that close no matter what the outcome. It starts to drizzle as we head back to the ranch headquarters to grab a sandwich from the box and we're intertaned by a female warthog and babies that live in the front yard. After lunch is finished we head back to the main valley below the ranch house where the first Nayala were spotted that morning. Marius and I slipped along about one third of the way down the canyon face below the main road and spot a heard of Nayala feeding along the opposite ridge slightly below us. He's concerned retrieval from where they are might not be possible. After a quick phone call he's assured enough help is available for recovery if needed. Marius sets me up on the short bipod sticks and tells me not to break the shoulder, he's hoping if I lung shoot the bull he'll run in the right direction for a shorter recovery distance. The hits good on the mark but the bull only walks forward a few yards and starts to wobble and he's down for good. Now the fun begins. After the help arrives Sandy and I take the truck down to bottom of the river valley while the recovery team bails straight done the canyon face and up the other side. Thank god for good help.

Nayala is located about halfway down the face of the ridge opposite side of the first canyon.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nyala feeding on same ridge where mine was taken
image.jpg

The Flex and Rigby playing fetch with a friend while the skinning is taking place.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
Day four Sat April 30, we awake to rain but hopefully it will clear by mid morning if we're lucky. Marius has us headed to his main bushbuck hunting farm this morning and the plan is to stay the evening and try for another bushpig. The farmer has a sounder on bait that was originally set up for Mark to hunt but he killed his on the way to the lodge when they stopped to hunt Impala. As we enter the property blesbok and zebra are seen in good numbers. Marius stops the truck at his favorite vantage point overlooking several large cattle pastures and a huge hillside with broken tree lines for cover.
image.jpg

The above pic is from a different day at the same location, this morning it is misting rain and overcast with rainbows forming and ending three hundred yards from us straight down in the valley below. I should have taken pics but didn't. Lots of warthog, kudu, nayala and waterbuck along with bushbuck ewes. Late in the morning after the clouds break we start the see bushbuck ram activity but all the ones close enough to stalk are young. Lunch is eaten in the truck as rain showers continue off and on until early afternoon. Marius goes for a short walk around the upper hillside from our stake out and calls us (Lindelle the tracker and myself) on the radio to bring the truck around from the other side, he's spotted a good ram. We park the truck a safe distance from his location and approach on foot. Across the canyon from our us is three bushbuck rams mixed in with a heard of nayala, these guys are right at three hundred yards from us and at a higher elevation. We need to get closer but Marius has never tried to cross the ravine in front of us before. I say I'm game and off we go! To say the going gets tough would be an understatement, the vegetation is so thick we have to belly crawl through the lowest points of the creek bottom and backtrack several time to get through. Then it's all uphill from there. Too many eyes and noses present, we're busted before we can get a shot. At the top of the ridge there is an opportunity on a mature 12" ram, I pass again. This will probably bite me in the butt before weeks end. I'd tried to prepare for this trip by walking 5-6 miles a day 5 to 6 days a week for the past three months and had dropped about 12 pounds in the process. Walking at sea level on payment will not prepare you for the Eastern Cape, this country wasn't made for pussyfoot's. Late in the afternoon we try another stalk on two Rams that have been sunning themselves for the last hour but to far away to judge horn size. They are located just below the thicker tree line on the ridge line in the pic above. The vegetation is just too thick for an approach and we head to the farmers house to discuss the bushpig blind. Turns out the wind direction is wrong for the hunt as the blind is set up for the prevailing winds and the current disturbance moving through has the winds all wrong. We still have time to pull this off......I hope.

I know that hillside well and agree with you that it is not for pussyfoot's.
In the bottom of that drainage you will give blood freely.
Looking at those lines of trees it appears you should be able to waltz around with impunity. Not going to happen.
That slope looks slight from the pictures vantage point as well. It's not.
A spotting scope would come in handy for some long distance judging. :)

Great report so far - I really like that waterbuck. Impressive animal.

Great report so far - I really like that waterbuck. Impressive animal.
Thanks, waterbuck has been my nemesis for three safaris but not anymore.
Still haven't forgotten that Brickburn shot the big one I'd been chasing in Botswana a few weeks after I left.

Day five, today we stay put and play peek-a-boo bushbuck on the home farm. What I wasn't expecting to see this morning was a hugh cape buffalo on the opposite canyon face looking our direction. Tick bird and all perched on top of his hard bosses. He just seemed a little out of place stuck on that steep slope instead of on flat ground where I expected to see one. As luck would have it the camera was in the truck so no pics available. We pass on a super nice 4" plus duiker, we're still determined to get my bushbuck in the salt. After moving up the canyon face to several different viewpoints Sandy spots a bushbuck ram that Marius says is worth taking but he disappears behind some thick brush and the waiting game starts. From time to time we catch a glimpse of him as he feeds along ever so slowly. A spot is cleaned off for me to lie slightly downhill on a rock face in a good prone position. At one point two jackels trot down the road below, it's their lucky day we're fixated on the bushbuck. Here's a pic of me in position with Rigby trying to anchor me down.
image.jpg

This position was held for almost two hours before we broke away for lunch leaving our tracker Lindelle with a radio to let us know when he decides to move. This is the first hot lunch we've had at the lodge all week and its a winner, one of the best meals I've eaten the whole trip. Hot fried bread fill with ground venison, tomatoes and cheese. I stopped at two before busting my gut. Just as we finish a call on the radio let's us know the ram is stirring from his location. Once again I'm flat out on the ledge for another hour waiting for him to clear and offer a shot. It's a clean miss even though I thought the rest was rock solid. The ram slowly turns and heads back into the brush only to reappear just below where he entered. located in the shadows we can still see the white markings on his neck and my second shot breaks his back and he's down. Upon retrieval we all realize there were two rams and we're victims of the old switch-a-roo. I now have a very nice bushbuck flat skin which I really wanted anyway if we were lucky enough to back two rams. Marius is upset with himself but the fault lies with me for not making the first shot on the larger one. I only have myself to blame, he's done an outstanding job all week. Pic below of canyon bushbuck was taken from.
image.jpg

Today is Monday and suppose to be the day of our charter fishing trip but it's cancelled due to poor weather, funny how things work out sometimes for the best. The caracal pack was rested over the weekend but is back in the field this morning. As we head back to the main bushbuck concession this morning we get a cell call from Mr. Ford stating the dogs are on a hot trail this morning and we need to get there quick. The farm we're headed to is already in the right direction we just need to swap guns with the UK group and take the 308 instead of the Win Mag. We were both headed to the same location originally so the swap is make and off we go. The dogs can be heard in the distance when we meet our man and we're off on foot at a fast pace. Running down the wet creek bank and on round stones the size of softballs is recipe for disaster but we make it to the dogs in one piece cross the creek and scamper up the slippery canyon face to where the dog handler is waiting. I trade the rifle for their old double 12 as the only shoot I have is about 40 feet up in thick vegetation and all I can see is a six inch patch of hair. At the shot all hell breaks loose and down comes the cat right in the middle of everybody. She hits the ground and takes off but dosn't go far. The rest of the day our buzz phrase is "we got a caracal"

Me after the shot, my grin says it all.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back to bushbuck country for the rest of the morning, none spotted this morning but we were visited by a herd of nayala within five minutes of setting at a waterhole, Marius says the owner told him the wild elephants had made this hole over the years digging in the spring during dry years.
image.jpg

Rowland Ward grasshopper
image.jpg

Thanks, waterbuck has been my nemesis for three safaris but not anymore.
Still haven't forgotten that Brickburn shot the big one I'd been chasing in Botswana a few weeks after I left.
You mean him...;) I think you did just as well in the trophy department.
IMG_1466.jpg

Ouch, on the switcheroo, for both of you. It's easy to do.

Nice cat. Nothing like hearing the hounds run.

Congrats.

@Sand Rat great report so far. Congrats on that caracal!

The rest of the morning is spent searching for my phantom bushbuck. The views are beyond anything I could have imagined.
image.jpg
Mid afternoon we head back towards the lodge for a try on a springbok before darkness sets in. Word is the bush pigs were back on the bait pit last night at around eleven according to the trailcam so maybe I'll have another chance after all. We have chances just before dark on several nice springboks but we're busted or I'm to slow on the sticks each time. I did have the thrill of having three herds run by us at the same time, one to our left, one to the right and the last one sweeping across the front. I was standing there thinking this is awesome. Here's a pick of the KMG Special Ops Team waiting to be called into action.
image.jpg

After we return to the lodge I'm kicking my shoes off and thinking about a shower before supper when Marius ask what are you doing we're headed out to spotlight you a Genet. Oops, I get my game face back on and off we go. Within twenty minutes on the back of the truck with Gramham driving and Marius on the light our quarry is spotted at thirty yards on the ground in the edge of the brush line. One shot from Marius's 12 ga O/U and we have our second cat of the day and a great day it's been. Old Stumpy only has three feet but I could care less, it will add character to the mount.
image.jpg

Tuesday finds us back on the bushbuck trail hunting a massive concession that has a small live river running through it with a high granite bluff along one side. We stop at several different viewpoints and on the forth one spot the largest ram of the week. It takes a while for him to pull his head out of the brush to judge his size all the while standing broadside. Once his head clears and we get a good look he immediately turns facing us head on. At a distance of 300 yards he appears to be at least 17". I'm laying prone on the canyon face waiting for him to turn and offer a clear shot when he just disappears into the brush for good. I have just seen the ram of a lifetime! Marius is beside himself, he claims it would have been the largest ever taken at KMG.
Waiting for the ram to turn.
image.jpg

Moving to another spot we catch these two stinkbulls in full mortal combat. We were able to catch part of it on video but sorry to say can't get it to transfer from the camera to the IPAD. They were going at it just like a National Geographic video.

image.jpg

We have one more chance at a nice ram just before dark but I make too much movement and noise repositioning from the canyon rim rock and it's a missed opportunity. No bushpigs at the bait pit last night so no blind sitting tonight.

It was the only opportunity this week to hunt the concession we were at yesterday so Marius takes us to a new place this morning for yet another try. We see five or more rams this morning with two nice shooters but they are running chasing ewes or each other and won't stay still long enough for a shot. The pigs were back on bait last night so we head back to the lodge early to work on the blind before dark. Sandy has decided she'd like a black wildebeest and a zebra so when we spot two big wildebeest Bulls on the way to the lodge we quickly collect her and head that direction. After a short stalk Marius has her on the sticks but when he tries to stop the bull it halts behind enough brush to prevent the shot. He breaks and runs the opposite direction but stops on a ant hill to look back facing directly into the sun. The sticks are repositioned and one shot later Sandy has her old dagga boy wildebeest.
image.jpg
image.jpg

We sit in the pig blind for four hours tonight but the pigs are a no show. The amazing thing is tonight I can see perfectly through the night vision with no problems. If they return again I'll be ready.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg