SOUTH AFRICA: Dagga Boy Anti Poaching Hunt 2016 With Jan Dumon OF Shumba Safaris

gerac

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Benin, Namibia, Cameroon
Outfitter: Jan Dumon, Shumba Safaris
Date: February 20th - 27th 2016
PH: Eddie O'Reilly
Area: Balule Reserve, South Africa (and we added two buffalos on private property)
Calibers: 9.3x62mm & .458WinMag
Ammo: Jan's hand loaded Rhino Bullets

My brother and me saw Jan's anti poaching offering. Since we always wanted to hunt in the private open game reserves with open fences and because of Jan's good reputation we decided to go.

Getting to Jan's place was easy and we arrived at his Lodge in the later afternoon. Quickly fired some shots to see if the rifles are in.

p1070254.jpg

Maybe some words to Jan's camp: It is a nice good maintained camp with really everything you need and even more. To be honest, for my brother and myself, Jan's camp was maybe on of the most luxury ones we ever stayed at.

The dinner was taken together with the family what we enjoyed a lot and the food was really good. Jan's wife organized great hospitality where Jan provided a lot of great entertainment by his stories.

After a great first evening our first hunting day started early. Eddie picked us up every morning. The first morning started with some paperwork and afterwards we picked up on of the wardens and started the hunt.

The first day we saw a lot of tracks and did some stalks but either we just found cows without huntable bull or the bulls just left our area into another reserve.

The next day was more or less the same just without the paperwork.

Since we battled to find a decent bull in the first area we decided to change the area which turned out to be the right decision.

On our 3rd hunting day we saw two decent bulls walking in some hilly terrain on the other side of dry river. While we were making a plan and deciding where they might go next we just found another group of bulls that has crossed the river and slowly moving up the hill. Eddie decided together with my brother to make a circle and to get to the Buffalos before they reach the top op the mountain. As it was my brothers turn I stayed a little behind with the trackers but after a short period of waiting (which felt like forever) we heard a shot and after a while we could hear Eddie that we should come down with the camera.

My brother shot a nice old buffalo bull with deep curls

p1070312.jpg

p1070307.jpg

We got this buffalo very early in the day, the only problem was that it was some distance to the next road. So getting the buffalo out of the bush took a while.

While the boys were busy with skinning we received a call from Jan that on a farm close by an injured Bull needed to be taken down and if we would be interested to help and what should I say, of course we were. So we decided to pause the Balule hunt for the rest of the day and tried to find the injured bull.

We could find the injured bull relatively fast but to get a clear shot on him, turned out to be impossible. We tracked him for the rest of the day and came close a couple of times but the terrain was just too thick to get a good shot at him.

The next morning we decided to start really early to try again the area we hunted the first two days. We knew buffalos where there but they seem to leave very early, so our plan was to get there before they leave. It turned out that Eddies idea was exactly right. While we were on our way to check the first waterhole, we spotted buffalo. So Eddie and myself get off the car and tried to get close to them. Although the stalk was not very difficult it was exciting to be that close to buffalos. Additionally we had some look that the bull we wanted position himself brilliant and one shot in the chest was enough and after running about 20-30 meters the buffalo tumbled and fell.

p1070363.jpg

p1070346.jpg

p1070402.jpg

After taking care of the buffalo we decided to search for the injured bull from the day before. We searched the whole morning but just couldn't find any sign of the bull. While we had lunch on the main lodge of the property my brother spotted the buffalo, dead, killed by the hyenas.

While the owner had some strange attitude to hunting, we were not allowed to hunt the hyena's what was our first choice, the owner offered us to shoot two buffalo bulls on his property for good price.

So we decided to shoot two more bulls which we got on the same day and the day after.

p1070465.jpg

p1070473.jpg

We had a great time with Jan and Eddie and we enjoyed ever second of the whole hunt. Jan and Eddie are two great guys with great humor. Jan and his family create a very comfortable atmosphere and make the whole hunt to an unforgettable experience. Although we have not planned anything yet, I am sure we will return one day to do more hunting with Jan and Eddie.

p1070466.jpg

Attachments

• p1070466.jpg
    p1070466.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 182
  • p1070473.jpg
    p1070473.jpg
    831.6 KB · Views: 175
  • p1070465.jpg
    p1070465.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 211
  • p1070402.jpg
    p1070402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 265
  • p1070346.jpg
    p1070346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205
  • p1070363.jpg
    p1070363.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 228
  • p1070307.jpg
    p1070307.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
  • p1070312.jpg
    p1070312.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bulls!

Very nice, congrats!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Congratulations on taking some nice Buffalo.

NICE! Thanks for the report!

Congrats, a great hunt.

Thanks for sharing !

Great hunt!! Thank you for sharing!!

good time had by all.

Glad you had a great hunt. Congratulations.

Very nice buffalo. Congratulations

Great looking bulls, congrats on a great trip.

You did indeed take some nice bulls!

Thanks for sharing and looks like a great hunt. Can you give me the meaning of what part of the hunt was "anti-poaching" or what that means? Thank you.

MMAL. The proceeds of the hunt went towards the reserve that in turn applied these proceeds towards their anti hunting efforts.

Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you