Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
P&Y, SCI, Ovis, WSSBC
Hunted
Canada,USA,Mongolia,RSA
Good times with the family on safari. I have been lucky enough to gone on safari before, this will be my families first time over sea. The day before we were to leave, highway was closed do to a forest fire. there was a little sprinkle of rain that night witch knocked the flames down, the highway was open with a pilot truck.the flight over is always fun with a stop in Frankfurt then onto Johannesburg. Pick up from Sarel grab the guns and away we go. Four hour later we are at camp, lunch then site the guns in get ready for the hunt to begin.
IMG_3689.jpg
John's first african animal 54" not bad to start.
IMG_3770.JPG
Mahlia's first african animal, one shot with her 7mm-08.
IMG_3811.JPG
Mahlia wanted one for her room this will be the only hunting thing in her room.
IMG_3459.JPG
That was day one every had a great day.

Congrats to the family! Great start. That kudu is going to be tough to beat!

ChrisPy,
It looks like you and the family had a great hunt, I look forward to the rest of the report and pics. I'll be hunting with Cruiser Safaris September 10 - 23. Heading to Joburg in 24 days for a photo safari prior to the hunt with Cruiser Safaris and then it's on to a lioness hunt with Loodt and Pieter after the 14 days with Cruisers. 26 days in South Africa, I can't wait!
Mike

Great trophies.

Huntermn15 man 26 days.....all I can say is wow!

I like that Kudu!

Very nice, what calibre is your daughter using? I'm thinking about what rifle my daughters can use when we do our trip in a few years time.

Great trophies.

Huntermn15 man 26 days.....all I can say is wow!
CAustin,
I figured I'd schedule my first trip like it might be my last. Photo safari first, to get the eyes seeing Africa, trip to the taxidermist, on to Cruiser Safaris, rest day, lioness hunt, rest day, back to Alaska. I'm sure it's going to go way too fast. I'm hoping we may cross paths in Joburg while we're both passing through. I would love to meet up for refreshments and stories.
Mike

Very nice, what calibre is your daughter using? I'm thinking about what rifle my daughters can use when we do our trip in a few years time.

Just re-read the post, was a 7-08. That's what I'm going to use for my daughter.

I got a 7mm-08 for John when he was 10, now Mahlia uses the gun. the kids have shot moose, deer, bears, stone sheep, mountain goat, and now Africa it has been a great little gun

ChrisPy,
It looks like you and the family had a great hunt, I look forward to the rest of the report and pics. I'll be hunting with Cruiser Safaris September 10 - 23. Heading to Joburg in 24 days for a photo safari prior to the hunt with Cruiser Safaris and then it's on to a lioness hunt with Loodt and Pieter after the 14 days with Cruisers. 26 days in South Africa, I can't wait!
Mike
That looks like a good trip. Shoot the rooster on the first night it likes to start crowing between 1-2 in the morning. Every thing went great for us we did have 2 PH to make things go smooth.

ChrisPy;
Saw your family's photos on Cruiser's facebook page; looks like you all had a great time!!! I hunted with them last year, and that stupid rooster was there back then, and his timing was off last year as well.....damn thing crowd all night the first night and kept everyone up!! I'm surprised that nobody has turned him into "Cordon Blue" yet!
Looks like Hans was one of your P.H.s? He was my P.H., and I was truly impressed by his skills........

ChrisPy,
Thank you for the tip on the rooster. Like Mr. 16 gauge, I too saw the photos of your safari on the Cruiser Safari FB page, again congratulations on a great trip and wonderful trophies.

ChrisPy;
What load/bullet weight did your daughter use to take that zebra? My daughter talks about going with me next time and taking a zebra, but the smallest I have is a .30-06.....I have a 6.5x55 Swede, but I'm thinking that is a bit small for zebra. I think the recoil of the 06 might be too much. I noticed in the one photo it appears that the rifle has a muzzle break? Is it a Ruger 77? Sorry for all the questions......

ChrisPy;
What load/bullet weight did your daughter use to take that zebra? My daughter talks about going with me next time and taking a zebra, but the smallest I have is a .30-06.....I have a 6.5x55 Swede, but I'm thinking that is a bit small for zebra. I think the recoil of the 06 might be too much. I noticed in the one photo it appears that the rifle has a muzzle break? Is it a Ruger 77? Sorry for all the questions......
for Mahlia's 7mm-08 was factory Nosler trophy grade 140r AccuBond, I could not find any to load. i shoot my animals with the 7mm-08 had know problems, make the shot count. Hans was my PH we had a lot of fun many laughs. Hein was John's PH they did well,that was John's first time with out dad there by his side he did well and grew as a hunter
IMG_4972.jpg
Hein and John were putting the moves on some gemsbok and red hartebeest when this guy showed up.
IMG_0753.JPG
Hans and I saw this bushbuck in the morning it was still dark enough i could not get a good look. I know he had a bent horn that was all. we were walking the river that evening when this guy came out and gave me a good look, i liked how polished the tip was so he is coming home.
IMG_3939.JPG
saw two groups of ostrich standing a round in the morning, we were looking for waterbuck so we will come back in 3-4 hr and get one no problem. Some one did not tell the ostrich. After chasing the first group out of the country, we went after the other group that still took some time but we made it work. When i told Mahlia we were going on safari the first thing she told me was she wants to shoot a ostrich
IMG_4019.JPG
Brenda spotted this warthog first, he only went a short ways and laid down so I took that as I give up come and take my home. These warthogs are very entertaining at the water hole or out and about, I could go on a warthog safari and bring home ten.

Great trophies ... and I am certain, memories for all. 54 inch kudu ... I want to be your son when I grow up!

Great trophies ... and I am certain, memories for all. 54 inch kudu ... I want to be your son when I grow up!
Johns kudu is bigger than mine, hold on a minute I have never shot a kudu. The things we will do for the kids

IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_5352.JPG
This was a couple good days for John. He is 16 so he does not talk much, he had lots to say on these days

Great trophies - I'm glad to see some posts about Crusiers Safaris, my father, brother and I are heading to Crusiers this time next year. Keep the pic's and the stories coming, 362 days until take off I can't wait.

Good trophies so far, congrats !

we did go on some side trips starting with Pilanesberg National Park. It is nice to see a park that is not full off t-shirt shops like at home
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4465.JPG
this is at the one and only restaurant what a view
IMG_4505.JPG
IMG_4507.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you