Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
This is not going to be a long report this hunt was organised quickly and I was lucky to tag along.
I organised a Crocodile for a friend of mine with Boela Bekker Safaris.

This was an old croc that decided like a old dagga boy he had his spot and that was it he is going to stay.
Farm owner eventually got a permit and adverstised it.

We arrived Sunday late afternoon in a very wet Hluluwe rained the whole day on an off and during the night about 4 inches. Without a 4x4 we would go nowhere.

Monday, Croc was no show we got a young impala ram as bait and setup up bait on Tuesday morning early.
It took a long time for the croc to show and he didnt want to get out.
We eventually took the shot while he was in the water plan was already in place to fish him out and farmer assured he was the only croc. We were not 100% confident on that but we have only seen the big boy in two days.

Shot was a bit low and he was wounded.
Rest of day and up to 11pm that night we looked for another chance at a shot.
Next day we found the croc to stick only his nose above the water to get air with very long intervalls and eventually connected on his nose with a shot. Then he regurlay came out and we finally bagged him that way with a proper brain shot.

Croc was 4 meters on the dot.

I was rewarded for the deal by my friend telling me that I could hunt a nyala. The bush was intense and extremely thick I took the shot at 20 meters offhand with my 458 lott. Through the leaves I could make out the outline of his head and pulled the shot a bit low and left however he dropped on the spot.

We had to chop open the bush to get to him and while I was closing in on the bull he stood up I handed my lott over to Boela and drew out my 9mmP and fired one shot at its head where he immediatlly turned and I fired one more in his ear with my barrel basically touching his head.

Without the 9mm it would have been chaos. The bush was so thick that the long rifle was useless. We chopped open more bush to take the photo.

I'll add more photos a bit later when time allows.

Krok-2.jpg
Krok-1.jpg
Krok-3.jpg
Njala.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a hunt to remember.
Bruce

Congrats ! Great lizard and very nice Nyala.

Love the area, hunted Mkuze and Pongola.

Frederik, you handle and shoot that Lott of yours like it is a .243! It is evident that you spend a lot of time with your rifle on the range.

Thanks for your visit, I can't wait for the next adventure that is just a few months away.

Thanks Boela, Mid June is around the corner for those management buffalo.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisa56S81

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.