Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
We’re hunting with Tim and Teri from Louisianna, US. They currently live in Nigeria and booked a 10 day plains game hunt with us. Tim and I discussed his wish list prior to him booking and the idea was that he would book two hunts across a 10 month period in 2017 and 2018. That would enable him to get excellent trophies and have a relaxing hunt spread over two years. On his initial list is eland, kudu, gemsbok, nyala, sable, red lechwe, impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck and red hartebeest.

Tim’s using my 7x64 shotting 170gr Pro Am rounds and also my .375 Ruger for eland, hand-loaded with 200gr GS Custom bullets.

Day One

Whilst Teri and Lindsay took one of their soon to be regular nature walks, Tim, Mitchell and I set off in search of lechwe at the foothills of the Winterhoek mountains. Got this beautiful lechwe bull after a long stalk. Later that afternoon we connected with a large group of bachelor impala rams. Snuck up to within 100 yards. Tim made an excellent frontal shot to down a big impala ram.

imgp6779_copy.jpg

imgp6783_copy.jpg

Day Two

Sable day! We hunted in open karoo area and we soon spotted a sable bull walking diagonally across an acacia thicket. Leaving Mitchell at the truck, we began a precarious stalk. Tim’s first shot missed but the four subsequent shots put the sable bull down. Sable are tough animals! All four shots grouped just a little back from the shoulder…

We looked for a big kudu that afternoon. No luck.

imgp6801_copy.jpg

Day Three

Looking for an eland today. Gave Tim the 101 on eland shot placement. Glassed through a herd of ten eland but no big bulls. Spotted two lone blue bulls moving over a ridge. Walked round the ridge and stayed with them as they browsed along the slope. Struggled to get within comfortable shooting range. Eventually they slowed when they joined a herd of females. 230 yards out, Tim put the GS Custom exactly where you’re supposed to and the bull ran 70 yards before toppling over. Bullet exited through both lungs. A world class eland bull and a great hunt!

imgp6812_copy.jpg

Day Four

We travelled north to hunt a concession for the next 3 days. A massive cold front hit the Eastern Cape and it was snowing in the mountains with gale force winds when we arrived. Set out and later that morning spotted a gemsbok herd taking shelter against the wind. Sneaked closer and had to hold still as a herd of blue wildebeest moved between us and the gemsbok. Waited for a half hour before we began the stalk again. Got to within 260 yards before we ran out of cover. Stayed low and tried to get even closer. The gemsbok spotted us and began to run. The lead one was a good one and as she paused Tim shot her. Great trophy.

That afternoon we watched a solitary blue wildebeest descend a mountain slope and we hiked to a position below him. Shot him on last light, Tim again doing an excellent job behind the rifle.

imgp6827_copy.jpg

imgp6833_copy.jpg

Day Five

Lindsay and Teri spent the day in Graaff Reinet, visiting the Valley of Desolation and shopping. It was cold and the hunting was difficult. Had a chance at a waterbuck but we chose not to try a 50/50 shot through some light brush.

Day Six

The sun came out and as expected the hunting was terrific. Got a red hartebeest early in the morning. Another longish shot which Tim managed to pull off. Carried on hunting and bumped some zebra in thick shoulder height brush. Tried stalking them through the brush but we were too low. Waited as they climbed over a hill giving us a shot. Tim made a quartering away shot on a young stallion to get the “medium size” rug Teri wanted.

That afternoon we snuck up on two waterbuck bulls grazing on the long mountain grass. Two shots and Tim had a very nice waterbuck bull.

Headed back to our main lodge after a great three days of hunting.

imgp6855_copy.jpg

imgp6847_copy.jpg

imgp6861_copy.jpg

imgp6873_copy.jpg

Day Seven

Visited Port Elizabeth today. Teri and Lindsay did a guided game drive in the Addo Elephant Park and we met up with them for tea. We’ve enjoyed the day off but are super pumped for kudu hunting tomorrow. Little nervous though, as always we expect kudu will be the toughest one...

Attachments

• imgp6873_copy.jpg
    imgp6873_copy.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 153
  • imgp6861_copy.jpg
    imgp6861_copy.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 157
  • imgp6847_copy.jpg
    imgp6847_copy.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 173
  • imgp6855_copy.jpg
    imgp6855_copy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 184
  • imgp6833_copy.jpg
    imgp6833_copy.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 153
  • imgp6827_copy.jpg
    imgp6827_copy.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 158
  • imgp6812_copy.jpg
    imgp6812_copy.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 176
  • imgp6801_copy.jpg
    imgp6801_copy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 160
  • imgp6783_copy.jpg
    imgp6783_copy.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are really stacking them up. Some good trophies there. Sounds like your hunter can shoot pretty good and that is always a plus. Eland looks very nice. Congrats Bruce

They did well! Congrats to the hunters!

There are some awesome trophies there. Well done Victor. Your client will be happy with them.
As Bruce said, it sounds like he shot well. All has to do with how the PH guides, right???
At this rate it will not be long before you will need to rebarrel your 7x64 and 375R.
Congrats all round.

We’re hunting with Tim and Teri from Louisianna, US. They currently live in Nigeria and booked a 10 day plains game hunt with us. Tim and I discussed his wish list prior to him booking and the idea was that he would book two hunts across a 10 month period in 2017 and 2018. That would enable him to get excellent trophies and have a relaxing hunt spread over two years. On his initial list is eland, kudu, gemsbok, nyala, sable, red lechwe, impala, blue wildebeest, waterbuck and red hartebeest.

Tim’s using my 7x64 shotting 170gr Pro Am rounds and also my .375 Ruger for eland, hand-loaded with 200gr GS Custom bullets.

Day One

Whilst Teri and Lindsay took one of their soon to be regular nature walks, Tim, Mitchell and I set off in search of lechwe at the foothills of the Winterhoek mountains. Got this beautiful lechwe bull after a long stalk. Later that afternoon we connected with a large group of bachelor impala rams. Snuck up to within 100 yards. Tim made an excellent frontal shot to down a big impala ram.

View attachment 200725

imgp6783_copy.jpg

Day Two

Sable day! We hunted in open karoo area and we soon spotted a sable bull walking diagonally across an acacia thicket. Leaving Mitchell at the truck, we began a precarious stalk. Tim’s first shot missed but the four subsequent shots put the sable bull down. Sable are tough animals! All four shots grouped just a little back from the shoulder…

We looked for a big kudu that afternoon. No luck.

imgp6801_copy.jpg

Day Three

Looking for an eland today. Gave Tim the 101 on eland shot placement. Glassed through a herd of ten eland but no big bulls. Spotted two lone blue bulls moving over a ridge. Walked round the ridge and stayed with them as they browsed along the slope. Struggled to get within comfortable shooting range. Eventually they slowed when they joined a herd of females. 230 yards out, Tim put the GS Custom exactly where you’re supposed to and the bull ran 70 yards before toppling over. Bullet exited through both lungs. A world class eland bull and a great hunt!

imgp6812_copy.jpg

Day Four

We travelled north to hunt a concession for the next 3 days. A massive cold front hit the Eastern Cape and it was snowing in the mountains with gale force winds when we arrived. Set out and later that morning spotted a gemsbok herd taking shelter against the wind. Sneaked closer and had to hold still as a herd of blue wildebeest moved between us and the gemsbok. Waited for a half hour before we began the stalk again. Got to within 260 yards before we ran out of cover. Stayed low and tried to get even closer. The gemsbok spotted us and began to run. The lead one was a good one and as she paused Tim shot her. Great trophy.

That afternoon we watched a solitary blue wildebeest descend a mountain slope and we hiked to a position below him. Shot him on last light, Tim again doing an excellent job behind the rifle.

imgp6827_copy.jpg

imgp6833_copy.jpg

Day Five

Lindsay and Teri spent the day in Graaff Reinet, visiting the Valley of Desolation and shopping. It was cold and the hunting was difficult. Had a chance at a waterbuck but we chose not to try a 50/50 shot through some light brush.

Day Six

The sun came out and as expected the hunting was terrific. Got a red hartebeest early in the morning. Another longish shot which Tim managed to pull off. Carried on hunting and bumped some zebra in thick shoulder height brush. Tried stalking them through the brush but we were too low. Waited as they climbed over a hill giving us a shot. Tim made a quartering away shot on a young stallion to get the “medium size” rug Teri wanted.

That afternoon we snuck up on two waterbuck bulls grazing on the long mountain grass. Two shots and Tim had a very nice waterbuck bull.

Headed back to our main lodge after a great three days of hunting.

imgp6855_copy.jpg

imgp6847_copy.jpg

imgp6861_copy.jpg

imgp6873_copy.jpg

Day Seven

Visited Port Elizabeth today. Teri and Lindsay did a guided game drive in the Addo Elephant Park and we met up with them for tea. We’ve enjoyed the day off but are super pumped for kudu hunting tomorrow. Little nervous though, as always we expect kudu will be the toughest one...

Very nice to read this. Looking forward to the hunt for kudu now

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Magnificent trophies, good shooting all around and a memorable trip for sure.

Tim and Teri are neighbors of mine, here in Lagos, Nigeria and Tim and I work together. We've been getting emails from Tim during the past week. This was his first safari and I think he's already booked a return trip. Safe to say he had a great time and more importantly, his wife enjoyed it too!

Well the smiles kind of tell the tale on that end.

Tim got a great kudu this morning. Unfortunately the big nyala avoided us although we put in a great stalk on a good bull only for us to be busted by some kudu. The end of a great hunt here in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Look forward to seeing Tim and Teri again next year.

imgp6875_copy.jpg

Attachments

• imgp6875_copy.jpg
    imgp6875_copy.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 122
Tim and Teri are neighbors of mine, here in Lagos, Nigeria and Tim and I work together. We've been getting emails from Tim during the past week. This was his first safari and I think he's already booked a return trip. Safe to say he had a great time and more importantly, his wife enjoyed it too!

It's a small world. Tim mentioned there were some hunters working in Nigeria with him. I expect you'll be enjoying some fresh venison over a braai soon :).

There are some awesome trophies there. Well done Victor. Your client will be happy with them.
As Bruce said, it sounds like he shot well. All has to do with how the PH guides, right???
At this rate it will not be long before you will need to rebarrel your 7x64 and 375R.
Congrats all round.

Got nothing to do with the PH mate. He's just the bloke who carries the sticks and serves the beer afterwards :)

No seriously Tim's shootings was outstanding. It was messy at times but he never gave up and kept shooting . Not easy to shoot a big calibre like a .375 well but when you can there are so many more options. When I saw how well he shot the eland with the .375 Ruger he just stuck with it. That rifle with the light GSCustom is hell on wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois