Magnificent rifles from a grand period!
As a teenager I looked for a time for a Martini conversion in 219 Donaldson Wasp. A dream varmint rifle IMO.
Looking forward to your hunt report!

I absolutely loved reading through this safari, thanks a lot for taking us along on your adventure and this was a very fitting end to your trip.

The 303 will speak again in the future I am sure! :)

Thank you, @VertigoBE - I try to "take" the reader along with me... glad you enjoyed. Yep, the .303 will indeed speak again. I'm having some work done to it (build up the front sight, chamber cast, and a couple other small things) and I'll have plenty of time to experiment with it prior to my next safari.

Hi Tom.

I read somewhere on this forum you mention you have a 1897 Farquharson in .500cal?..Are there any pics of the rifle this on this site?

I don't remember, but I'll take one or two right now. Voila’.

CBBC16FF-E3CA-4D56-9E63-4AA0C77D8161.jpeg

36C6F453-D571-480B-91E7-8044431B6547.jpeg

CE90156C-E98C-4C86-BD17-FDEE92C3D2B6.jpeg

Last edited:
..Yaeh...

Thats what I am looking for.

Thanks for sharing :)

I read you would take it to Africa on buffalohunt. It will do it if groundcontrol will do it too..:LOL

Just went through your book collection too..

@rigbymauser - before it goes to Africa, it needs a couple tweaks. The trigger is quite heavy--probably over 10lbs--and the striker spring a bit weak to reliably ignite primers. I also want to have different heights front sight made so I can alternate between 500 BPE loads and 500 NE. It's certainly a beautiful monster, though!

I am a "500" guy. I like the .500BPE as I see them as the workhorse caliber of the victorian sportsman. I know the .577BPEs too but they were often build heavier. A .500BPE can be carried all day.
I have an artical with a guy who take a .500BPE to africa shooting leadbullets at some 1700 ft/sec taakeing down buffalo. I will post here later. Gotta go find it.

Thanks!!

@rigbymauser - that's a fantastic article, thank you so much for posting it in its entirety. That 70-something Varget load sounds like a very versatile one. I can't wait to begin experimenting with this rifle.

Excellent report, trip and animals. Thanks for sharing with us!

Lovely report. Superb writing and some exquisite rifles. Thank you for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.