South Africa - CBL "Captive Bred Lion Hunt" progress

Yes you are correct but if bones are supplied the price is down if bones are not legally supplied the price will go up and will make it much more tempting for poachers to take a chance.
Except for one thing. Poachers are not the ones selling to the end client. They'll still get their $100 or so regardless of the end price.

BTW is there a way to edit the Title of the post as it is not in progress anymore and just would like to edit the title to Hunt Completed. I see I cannot edit the post.

Good job on the hunt.

Actually, the original title was misleading anyway. Reading "CBL - 'Captive Bred Hunt' Progress, I thought the topic was the "progress" of new regulations banning CBL hunts in RSA :ROFLMAO:

You are correct! I know on my hunt these Lions were killing game and mine as we were tracking circled us and was tracking us! They are dangerous game not a pet!
The same thing happened on my hunt. I will also say that the PHs were "switched on"!!

The year before, I talked with my PH (the one with me on the CBL safari) about dangerous game. Ultimately, he told me that he considered the CBL lions to be the most dangerous because they did not have the same fear of man.

Where I hunted in RSA, I was told that they typically have 25 - 50 lions free on that ranch. Not all are CBL. A few are problem lions that have been trapped and sold to a hunting operation. I can't verify that. All I know is what I was told 7 years ago.

Ok so here is a quick summary of my hunt and I will then do a seperate post for s full report.

Arrived 2pm on Friday the 24th unpakced and headed out to the range to check rifles and headed out 4pm. Rifles were Carl Gustav 6.5x55 and my CZ550 458 Lott topped with Trijicon SRO reflex sight.
Ammunition was self loaded 160gr Hornady Interlocks for the 6.5 at a very moderate 2400fps
480gr Woodleigh RSN at 2180fps.

Main PH was Frikkie (I'll fill in when he gets to me forgot his surname) with Hans de Klerk joining on the lion when we were on fresh tracks.

First afternoon enjoyed the sights and sounds of the Kalahari have been 4 years since I have been there. The property is 17 000 acres with a camp around the main house and there is a seperate camp for the hunters about 2km from the main house.
Camp is very comfortobale with all needed and not to flashy just the way I like it.

So as we head out for the afternoon Hans told Frikkie that staff needs rations and warties non trophy are on the score if we found.

Arrivale day afternoon 1 ration wartie no fresh tracks or sight of the 3 lions that is currently roaming the property.

View attachment 427634

Day 2 Saturday No tracks or signs again for the whole day manage to bag a monster of a springbuck in my eyes early afternoon. Spotted him not far from the shooting range next to the camp and a 2km stalk with me almost giving up and telling Frikkie to rather that we concentrate on finding lion signs. Eventually the ram walked in an area where he felt safe and the wind was good.

Day 3 Sunday I am wondering if there is any lions on the property woke up extra early Saturday and Sunday to hear any lions roaring in the cool crisp before dawn light. Went out earlier and 7:30 am we found fresh tracks. 9:30 am hot on her tracks with seeing her move from shade to shade. 10:01 am exactly I fired shot one 5 seconds later and 3 shots later all mine she was down.
Distances to first shot 30 paces.

It was unbelieveable after making sure she was down the whole crew let me have my quiet time with her it was surreal emotional and felt like a huge goal in my life has been completed.

View attachment 427636

View attachment 427637

Later the afternoon we bumped into another ration wartie and very nice steenbuck ram that was also on my wishlist.

View attachment 427638

Monday last full day spent looking for more warties with one more to the list and Frikkie managed to bag a jackal just before dark after I botched the shot shooting just over his back.

As a recap the Lions do what they please on the property they are released 30 days before the hunt and also in a group normally 6 that means lion one will be hunted on day 31 but the rest will be out longer and so the process goes on.

De Klerk Safaris as an ex Outfitter and PH gets 5 stars in the way they handle the outfit paperwork is done properly there is no funny extra costs that suddenly pop out and what they quote is what you pay. I obviously look at everything with good inside knowledge but never as a South African local hunter did I feel like a real paying client like I did on this adventure. It was very odd to be treated like any other international client.

Don't go there for a diet food out of this world with some new dishes that the Kalahari hospitality treated me with.

Please note I did not get any special deal and paid full price for the hunt advertised.
I just hope and pray they can keep lion hunting open as I would so wish to be able to take my son one day for his lion hunt.

Congrats on a great lioness! There's nothing quite like stalking in the Kalahari sand!

Thank you for the hunt report @Frederik & the details of it, glade you had a dream fulfilling trip to !

I think this thread has been cleaned up to ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross