Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CPT, Cavalry US Army, Retired
Hunted
South Africa, MO, CO, SD
Not sure I understand the uproar - I have been taught that if I harvest an animal, the local village(s) receive the meat, so this is already being done. Is the issue that the meat would be sold, vs. given away? How horrible that someone would make money!

Outrage! South Africa law could put elephants, giraffes on dinner table

Express.co.uk:

The proposed amendment has been put out to the public for comment, a phase of the process that is due to close at the end of June.

Angela Didiza, Minister of the DALRRD, has posted a web page for institutions, organisations and individuals to comment on the proposed amendments – of which 24,252 people have participated so far.

THE PROPOSAL

SOUTH AFRICA is deliberating over a radical review of their Meat Safety Act that wildlife activists fear could “pave the way” for elephants, rhinos, giraffes and every animal listed for human consumption. The South African government first announced the proposed amendment to Schedule 1 of the Meat Safety Act 2000 back in February, which is yet to be implemented.

Wildlife campaigners and officials fear the law change could enable animals to be eaten by humans in the future. Some speculate it may be part of a broader plan to add more creatures to the menu and to launch a rare meat industry for international markets.

There are additional concerns that the suggested alterations could put endangered species at greater risk, cause additional problems for anti-poachers and in a worst case scenario potentially increase the risk of zoonotic transmissions.

DETAILS

Questions have been raised about new proposals made for The Meat Safety Act due to potentially troubling wording that appears to suggest all animals – including endangered and threatened species – could be fit for human and animal consumption.

While the act presides over the “safety of animal products” with respect to abattoirs, import and exportation, and safety schemes, government officials and wildlife campaigners fear the worst.

They are concerned by the inclusion of 33 wild species – including rhinos, giraffes, elephants and hippopotamuses – that appears to make it “legal” for animal “slaughter, consumption, import, export and sale”.

It also stated that the act “applies to all other species of animals not mentioned including birds, fish and reptiles that may be slaughtered as food for human and animal consumption”.

Read more at Express.co.uk

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-1.21.08-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2020-05-30-at-1.21.08-PM.png
    147.3 KB · Views: 253
Last edited by a moderator:
I should imagine the uproar as the average express reader in the UK wouldn't realise people eat these animals. Because there is not any at there local supermarket next to the chicken.

I accompanied my PH/owner/outfitter to the local meat store with a couple huge tubs of meat from the animals we killed.
I'm fairly sure it was sold and eaten by the locals.

People have been eating all species for thousands of years. Everything we shoot in Africa goes to the locals in one way or another. I don't see where this amendment is going to change much of anything except to give the antis another excuse to soil their undies sniveling.

When ever I read anything from a British web site , which talks about meat consumption , fire arms or hunting ... I always anticipate that I will get extremely angry , just by reading their snow flake filth . A few days ago , a British " Man " ( I use the term " Man " loosely ) wrote an article about how barbecues are symbolic of " Male Chauvinism " .

I wish I was joking . But it is true .

Mean While ... I will keep grilling up my cheetal venison Sheekh Kebabs . Any visitors are welcome to try .
IMG_20200324_174220.jpg

Last edited:
When ever I read anything from a British web site , which talks about meat consumption , fire arms or hunting ... I always anticipate that I will get extremely angry , just by reading their snow flake filth . A few days ago , a British " Man " ( I use the term " Man " loosely ) wrote an article about how barbecues are symbolic of " Male Chauvinism " .

Mean While ... I will keep grilling up my cheetal venison Sheekh Kebabs . Any visitors are welcome to try .
View attachment 353149
*points and laughs at whoever wrote that "article"*

Major, they're just bitter that one of the biggest American cookout/barbecue days every year is all about how we geared up to kick them from our country and succeeded. It's not a symbol of male chauvinism. It's a symbol of our boot going very soundly up lobsterback buttocks.

View attachment 353149

Not meaning to derail this thread, but those look delicious.

I would love to have a separate thread on cooking game meat in your country's style.

*points and laughs at whoever wrote that "article"*

Major, they're just bitter that one of the biggest American cookout/barbecue days every year is all about how we geared up to kick them from our country and succeeded. It's not a symbol of male chauvinism. It's a symbol of our boot going very soundly up lobsterback buttocks.
This made me laugh , Webley . You remind me a great deal ... Of myself , back when I used to be younger . No political correctness in you . I like it !

In most places in South Africa, the game animal belongs to the landowner or the concession owner . Typically it is either used by him or sold (just like Europe). Those game animals go into the math that makes outfitting and PHing work. In areas where concessions are purchased (leased) from tribal communities (parts of Zim, Moz, Nam, and Tanz) the community "owns" the animal and gets the value of most of the protein.

Not meaning to derail this thread, but those look delicious.

I would love to have a separate thread on cooking game meat in your country's style.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Chukar . I absolutely ADORE incorporating game meat ... In to my regular diet . It has kept me extremely healthy for the last 80 years ( By the Grace Of God ) . Since I also own a chain of restaurants ... I frequently get to experiment with incorporating game meat , in to different dishes .

In Bangladesh ... We have at least 8 different types of kebabs , which is made by utilizing game meat .
IMG_20170829_212721.jpg

This is Tandoori Quail , prepared by @Kawshik Rahman . We shot them with 2.75 inch Winchester 32 gram 12 bore # 7.5 bird shot cartridges ... After flushing them out of the hay fields with my dogs .

This made me laugh , Webley . You remind me a great deal ... Of myself , back when I used to be younger . No political correctness in you . I like it !
Not very much, no, but to insult barbecue is an insult on three hundred years of tradition here in my homeland.

In seriousness, the traditional Southern barbecue is one of the great equalizers down here. A barbecue master can be a man, a woman, black, white, brown, red, yellow. You will have award-winning recipes for sauce that have not changed in a century alongside award-winning recipes that were created last year. Smoking techniques, dry and wet rubs, everything to do with cooking barbecue is a mainstay of Southern tradition, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find any true Southerner of any color, race, or creed who wouldn't agree that nothing can bring a community together like a good old-fashioned pig-picking. Except, of course, for those who don't eat pork, but that's not a problem. Barbecued chicken, beef, turkey, game, there's something for everyone. Even a vegetarian can enjoy the sheer amount of side dishes and "fixins" you'll see on the menu. Barbecue is part of life here and it's taken seriously in some circles, as seriously as chili is taken in the American Southwest and Texas, or as seriously as deli food is taken in New York City or pizza in any number of Sicilian/Italian-dominated communities.

There is a typical stereotype of an American backyard cookout being dominated by the man. The man runs the grill, the women run the sides. The men stand around, chat, and drink beer while occasionally tending to the meat while the women do all the "real work". In my family, at least, the only part of that that is true is that my uncle is in charge of the grill. He always has been, or nearly always. But everyone else is expected to help out, male or female, unless you're a guest (and even then the guests will have brought something for the spread and will help out anyway, because we're Southerners and that's how we do). And the amount of work needed? Is kept to a minimum because we've had many years to perfect it to a science so that everything is set out and ready right on time with the least amount of difficulty.

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would consider barbecue, whether the typical American "cookout" or any of the international varieties of the same or the Southern pig-picking barbecue or any of its international relatives, any kind of "chauvinism" in either definition of the word. If it is jingoistic and overly patriotic to celebrate our national holidays in a typical way that we've done for decades, then it's no business of Britain's if one of those holidays is the commemoration of our independence. And if it is bigoted towards a particular sex how we do it, then that's the fault of those individual families if anyone and not with the tradition at large.

I'd invite any Britons to come down to the South and experience either one firsthand. I think many of them might be surprised at what they find, and go home with a new appreciation of what you can do with pork...

Not very much, no, but to insult barbecue is an insult on three hundred years of tradition here in my homeland.

In seriousness, the traditional Southern barbecue is one of the great equalizers down here. A barbecue master can be a man, a woman, black, white, brown, red, yellow. You will have award-winning recipes for sauce that have not changed in a century alongside award-winning recipes that were created last year. Smoking techniques, dry and wet rubs, everything to do with cooking barbecue is a mainstay of Southern tradition, and I think you would be hard-pressed to find any true Southerner of any color, race, or creed who wouldn't agree that nothing can bring a community together like a good old-fashioned pig-picking. Except, of course, for those who don't eat pork, but that's not a problem. Barbecued chicken, beef, turkey, game, there's something for everyone. Even a vegetarian can enjoy the sheer amount of side dishes and "fixins" you'll see on the menu. Barbecue is part of life here and it's taken seriously in some circles, as seriously as chili is taken in the American Southwest and Texas, or as seriously as deli food is taken in New York City or pizza in any number of Sicilian/Italian-dominated communities.

There is a typical stereotype of an American backyard cookout being dominated by the man. The man runs the grill, the women run the sides. The men stand around, chat, and drink beer while occasionally tending to the meat while the women do all the "real work". In my family, at least, the only part of that that is true is that my uncle is in charge of the grill. He always has been, or nearly always. But everyone else is expected to help out, male or female, unless you're a guest (and even then the guests will have brought something for the spread and will help out anyway, because we're Southerners and that's how we do). And the amount of work needed? Is kept to a minimum because we've had many years to perfect it to a science so that everything is set out and ready right on time with the least amount of difficulty.

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone would consider barbecue, whether the typical American "cookout" or any of the international varieties of the same or the Southern pig-picking barbecue or any of its international relatives, any kind of "chauvinism" in either definition of the word. If it is jingoistic and overly patriotic to celebrate our national holidays in a typical way that we've done for decades, then it's no business of Britain's if one of those holidays is the commemoration of our independence. And if it is bigoted towards a particular sex how we do it, then that's the fault of those individual families if anyone and not with the tradition at large.

I'd invite any Britons to come down to the South and experience either one firsthand. I think many of them might be surprised at what they find, and go home with a new appreciation of what you can do with pork...

Here is the " article " in question .
https://www-standard-co-uk.cdn.ampp...last-bastion-of-male-chauvinism-a4462756.html

What a pathetic waste of living space ... This Rob Rinder is .

I don't know how they do it in Britain but I've never seen anyone get fawned over for manning the grill. At most it's just a "Good job on the food, it tastes great!" which is just politeness. I myself am always slightly critical of any of my favorite recipes to make, even when they turn out as perfect as I can get them.

I refuse to take seriously any article wherein the phrase "potty-poo" is used. This Mr. Rinder sounds like someone I wouldn't want to be around. I was joking that it was Britons being bitter; his article proves that's what he really is. If he hasn't been patted on the back for preparing some time-intensive meal for his friends or sought approval from his ex-domestic partner for the same, then he's a marvelous hypocrite.

I’ve only been to South Africa but they on sold meat there. Al of the Antelope meat was classed as Venison. Venison is harvested and sold through supermarkets and butchers.
As Redleg said those animals belong to the landowner. I don’t think I saw any domestic type livestock. Eg I did not see sheep or cattle being farmed or grazed as the primary stock on the places I went too.

They provided meals from the prime cuts of the animals from their enterprise. No problem, I got to try something not found in my country and not available on the export market.

If and where South African operators harvest any game i believe it can be on sold locally. I don’t know the processing regs etc.

I believe they could manage larger animals on the property provided they have a certificate of adequate enclosure for this.

That Rob Rinder is a pathetic example of a human. With that effeminate smirk on his face he doesn't look very bright and his blathering just reinforces it. Maybe he's still smarting because a bunch of hick Colonials stomped his ancestors red rosy arses and drove them out of OUR country in ignominious flight.

Very little people know this but one of our "big" national parks have a complete abattoir built to process a number of elephant carcasses a day. When they used to cull elephant back in the day that meat from the elephants were processed and then sold / distributed to less fortunate people. I cannot find any problems with this and I believe it is an excellent way to make sure nothing is wasted. Especially when there is a overpopulation of certain species!

Locals and ourselves have been consuming game meat for centuries and for some people that is the only meat they know! The journalists that write articles like this just shows the world how absolutely clueless they are. Unfortunately there is a lot of people in this world that does not know our country or continent Africa. Should they ever come here they will have a culture shock of note!

Plenty of BBQs take place in UK so not sure why you getting so wound up... :D....am sure there are plenty of left wing girlymen in usa who probably think it's chauvinistic as well..... They are a growing breed unfortunately..... :E Doh::D Beers:

One of the best ways to protect an animal species from extinction is to put them on the menu.

They on the menu in other African countries I promise you.... And they haven't needed any government putting them on a list......called bushmeat and usually poached....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg