SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo Rodeo In The Kalahari

Great fix by turning the scope but for those of us who like illuminated scopes with 3 turrets, it won't work. I don't have a Sako and probably never will. I like my crf Winchester 70s and CZs.

Re-reasing thread.
I would dtill be shitty, and cussing.
Ive shot a couple of Sako and enjoyed the Sako 85 hire rifle i used in 7mmRM or was it the Swaro scope or supressor?
That one worked but i recently had a dealier in Aus telling me he has seen this issue

Well.....it looks like it will be another long year of waiting to make things right again with the Buffalo. And now that I've sold the Heym 404 and every other rifle I bought since this was written, I guess the Winchester 70 416 will get the nod next time. However, I am going to have the Mcmillan stock sent back to have the LOP increased to 14 1/4" on this rifle. I had it made with the standard 13.5" and I've found that a longer LOP helps with recoil, and the overall feel of a rifle. I put one of those slip on recoil pads that added 3/4" to the LOP and it makes a huge difference in the way this rifle feels.

Well.....it looks like it will be another long year of waiting to make things right again with the Buffalo. And now that I've sold the Heym 404 and every other rifle I bought since this was written, I guess the Winchester 70 416 will get the nod next time. However, I am going to have the Mcmillan stock sent back to have the LOP increased to 14 1/4" on this rifle. I had it made with the standard 13.5" and I've found that a longer LOP helps with recoil, and the overall feel of a rifle. I put one of those slip on recoil pads that added 3/4" to the LOP and it makes a huge difference in the way this rifle feels.
I guess the McMillan is for the M70?
Which model stock did you get? I have a Winchester express coming for my M70 375. I went with a 14 inch length of pull. I sure hope I like it.

I guess the McMillan is for the M70?
Which model stock did you get? I have a Winchester express coming for my M70 375. I went with a 14 inch length of pull. I sure hope I like it.
Wyatt
Yes that's correct. I believe mine is an Express as well. They are very well made stocks.

I agree. The worst part of all of this is, I have a safe full of Winchester and Kimber CRF, mauser extractor/ejector rifles to choose from. The Sako is short, easy to handle, and very accurate. But reliability trumps all of the above.

I read of this syndrome about bullet selection and scope selection quite often.

The Barnes/NP/Swift Aframe/Woodleigh puts 3 shots well under 1.5 inches, but I went with an AMax/Berger because it put 3 shots in 0.5 inches and I'm so much more confident in it. Insert story: bullet didn't adequately penetrate and a rodeo resulted. Moral: the controlled expansion bullets were accurate enough and 99.9% of the time would have penetrated and killed rather than wound.

I scoped my rifle with a 8-32×56 because I shot such small groups with it. Insert story: Most of my shots were in the bush, 8 power was too much to quickly find the animal and I missed countless shot opportunities. Or, getting out out of the truck, I caught the tall turret on the door jamb causing severe damage to the scope. Or, I was dialling my scope and missed the shot opportunity. Or, my rifle won't eject because the empty case hits the 34mm scope. Or, I don't have a solid cheek weld because I have to mount that 56mm objective so high, I missed/wounded the animal. Never saw another the whole trip.

No slight intended against you Toby. I'm just saying it seems sometimes shooters/hunters today make choices chasing the smallest groups or smallest packages or are geared up for long range, rather than what they SHOULD KNOW is what is best because it WORKS.

Last year I worked for a group who hosted first time hunters at a sight in day. I've never seen so many 4-16 scopes in my life, actually that was the first time I ever shot with one. Some sales man in a gunshop must get a bonus based on how many 4-16 Vortex scopes he sells.

All my big game rifles have 2.5-8×36, my coyote rifles have 3.5-10×40 VX3 Leupolds. I have one compact 3-9×33 Leupold on my 308 truck gun. That's me. Biggest scope I would entertain on a big game rifle is a Leupold VX6 2-12. Only if I won the lottery and didn't mind packing the extra bulk and weight around. My friend and PH has a very nice Zeiss scope that is in the 2-12 range. But it is big and heavy.

My point is we have to use what works reliably and not what are frivolous things that don't really matter.

Thus endeth my diatribe.

I read of this syndrome about bullet selection and scope selection quite often.

The Barnes/NP/Swift Aframe/Woodleigh puts 3 shots well under 1.5 inches, but I went with an AMax/Berger because it put 3 shots in 0.5 inches and I'm so much more confident in it. Insert story: bullet didn't adequately penetrate and a rodeo resulted. Moral: the controlled expansion bullets were accurate enough and 99.9% of the time would have penetrated and killed rather than wound.

I scoped my rifle with a 8-32×56 because I shot such small groups with it. Insert story: Most of my shots were in the bush, 8 power was too much to quickly find the animal and I missed countless shot opportunities. Or, getting out out of the truck, I caught the tall turret on the door jamb causing severe damage to the scope. Or, I was dialling my scope and missed the shot opportunity. Or, my rifle won't eject because the empty case hits the 34mm scope. Or, I don't have a solid cheek weld because I have to mount that 56mm objective so high, I missed/wounded the animal. Never saw another the whole trip.

No slight intended against you Toby. I'm just saying it seems sometimes shooters/hunters today make choices chasing the smallest groups or smallest packages or are geared up for long range, rather than what they SHOULD KNOW is what is best because it WORKS.

Last year I worked for a group who hosted first time hunters at a sight in day. I've never seen so many 4-16 scopes in my life, actually that was the first time I ever shot with one. Some sales man in a gunshop must get a bonus based on how many 4-16 Vortex scopes he sells.

All my big game rifles have 2.5-8×36, my coyote rifles have 3.5-10×40 VX3 Leupolds. I have one compact 3-9×33 Leupold on my 308 truck gun. That's me. Biggest scope I would entertain on a big game rifle is a Leupold VX6 2-12. Only if I won the lottery and didn't mind packing the extra bulk and weight around. My friend and PH has a very nice Zeiss scope that is in the 2-12 range. But it is big and heavy.

My point is we have to use what works reliably and not what are frivolous things that don't really matter.

Thus endeth my diatribe.
No slight taken. But, I was using a 300 Gr Barnes TSX, and Leupold 2-7×33 scope, so those things were of no concern. As for the rifle, I chose it because of it being an easy rifle to carry, point and shoot. And yes it is very accurate, but that's hardly a negative in my book. I had also used it on a Buffalo hunt in Australia with good results, so I kind of have a soft spot for it, even thought the design isn't perfect. Since I have turned the scope 45°left, I have now solved the ejection issue, and would trust this rifle 100%. It was my fault for not making the adjustment earlier. In actuality, since I've made this adjustment to the scope on this rifle, I'm considering doing the same on my other rifles intended for DG hunting, as it clears the loading port area, and makes loading from the magazine much easier. So.....I'll chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on.

45? Strange!

Toby, my post was to illustrate that hunters today get distracted by things that aren't that important.

Think of a bird dog that gets distracted by and chases squirrels.

Your choice of scope and bullet are exemplary. I've read that even a 270gr Barnes TSX could be the new buffalo standard.

Did you change your reticle when you turned the scope 90 degrees to the left?

Toby, my post was to illustrate that hunters today get distracted by things that aren't that important.

Think of a bird dog that gets distracted by and chases squirrels.

Your choice of scope and bullet are exemplary. I've read that even a 270gr Barnes TSX could be the new buffalo standard.

Did you change your reticle when you turned the scope 90 degrees to the left?
Yes I did change it to a standard duplex reticle. The scope that was on it had the ranging dots below the crosshairs, which in reality, on a 375 H&H is mostly unnecessary.
I used a 270gr Barnes TSX on the rest of the game on that particular hunt. I actually had one come apart and fail to penetrate on a Lioness at 35 yards. But then I had one offer complete penetration and perfect performance on a very large Eland at 250 yards. So at this point, I plan to stay with 300gr bullets in the 375.

Very strange it came apart on a lioness. Although 35 yards is very close. Still should have penetrated.

I use a 168gr TTSX in my 300WSM. I had a diagonally frontal shot on a blue wildebeest at 200 yds. The bullet hit exactly where I wanted, just barely on the inside of the onside shoulder joint. At impact, the blue hit the dirt and hooves were kicking in the air. Everyone was cheering and slapping me on the back. Next thing I knew, the blue was up and running like a thoroughbred through the bush. What a rodeo, caught him just before he crossed the river. Upon examination, the bullet went through the front of the right lung, then made about a 90° turn straight down, exiting between the front legs. WTF? Only thing I could think of is that the bullet hit a branch (I didn't see any) just in front of the blue and the bullet was tumbling when it hit.

I've used that combo on an eland at 80 yds. Same shot. That bullet was found in front of the off side rear ham in the entrails. How many feet of straight penetration is that? One very sick eland that was dead on his feet. He was going down, but he braced himself. Shot him in the neck to finish him. That bullet we found in the entrails retained weight like a NP as it lost its petals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,