SOUTH AFRICA: Buffalo & Plains Game With Somerby Safaris

Congratulations on a wonderful safari.

So the real question for @Angelo_orygun....

When are you going back?

Great report. You took a heck of a buffalo: great bosses. The black wildebeest is a wonderful trophy. I gained five pounds just seeing the pics of the food.
Congratulations.

Outstanding!
Angelo 2 more beautiful specimens and a wonderful stalk to make it all worth it. I like to thank you for the post and updates that gave me the ability to enjoy your hunt vicariously through you. For the exception of a little bit of rain sounds like this Safari was quite the adventure. Once again thank you very much and congratulations on your stunning animals.
Ps ... also a shout-out to PD and the rest of the Somerby team
BTW sounds like a trip to see Rupert is in-store

Thanks!

PD was awesome, everyone at Somerby was great as well. I even saw Drom on the last night at Sherwood!

I saw Rupert yesterday on my way to the Airport, it’s always a treat to see everything they are working on!

A fine safari Angelo, that buffalo bull is exceptional. Congratulations. I particularly like the wood on your big rifle does the hunt justice.

Thanks Kevin! That rifle was a joy to carry, luckily no major scratches in the stock!!

I don’t know how I missed this report when it was first published, but congratulations to an excellent buffalo @davidg8480 and some fine other species taken! I really like that black wildebeest too :)

Cheers,

V.

Thanks, I certainly will never forget this trip!!!

Well, I made it back to the states. I am currently waiting on my ATL-SLC flight.

The trip back across the pond was uneventful, but long.

I got the full “secondary TSA” inspection at the gate in Johannesburg, every camera lens, electronic device and even my cigar case got swabbed. I guess they weren’t going to take a no from their machine…

Customs/rifles at ATL was easy, there were 5 of us on the flight. The agent that checked my rifles back in was a fan of the 404 and asked If he could see a loaded round. Showed him the slug that I recovered from the Buffalo as well and suggested he join the club!!

I was told by a non-TSA worker bee that I couldn’t use TSA Pre-Check since I came out of secondary inspection (rifle)… the TSA agents were as confused as I was, but I was too tired to argue with the gatekeeper.

I am still processing this whole trip. The people, my experiences and the animals were exceptional. I am truly blessed to have been able to experience the last two weeks.

Great report. You took a heck of a buffalo: great bosses. The black wildebeest is a wonderful trophy. I gained five pounds just seeing the pics of the food.
Congratulations.

Thanks! I was blessed with amazing animals. My PH passed on a lot of stuff and really busted his butt for me.

The food was beyond amazing. Nothing even close to not good!

Angelo welcome back to the States glad you had a wonderful trip. I'm sure on your way back you we're planning your next visit back to the Dark Continent

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Day 3:

We started on the tracks of the Buffalo from the night before, he seemed to be grazing and walking in anything but a straight line all night! After about a mile and a half we bumped him for the first time, and this was a trend that would continue all day - for the next 7.2 miles according to Garmin.

View attachment 461257

On my last trip to Africa I did not get to experience the thick bush, my rifle and arms now have proof of being here. Everything in Africa does bite and scratch! What a day.

We called it at 5:30 and headed back to the lodge, more fun is on the plate for tomorrow.

Day 4:

We went back and tried to find more tracks from our Buff and were fortunate to put eyes on him from the road. After heading up the road farther, a prompt dismount and a quiet walk back down the road, he was gone but we had tracks. Our first bump came about 30 minutes later, and this trend continued for the next few hours as his love for making us follow him through the thick stuff continued.

Eventually we decided to drag the roads and see if he would come out on his own terms as it was proving unfruitful to chase him through the bush mid-day. We never saw him again.

Was a slow day on foot - only 4.6 miles.

Day 5:

Once again we found tracks from our Bull, but the tracks once again went into the thick stuff. Same story, new day!

My PH suggested we go look for other bulls instead of continuing to push this guy all around for another half a day. We would come back when he was relaxed and grazing in the afternoon, pick up on his tracks, and give it another go. I agreed.

We found a few good bulls throughout the rest of the day, many impressive in width, but nothing that was solid in the boss.

View attachment 461258

Then we found a bull that we knew would be worth chasing…. After a short stalk and closer inspection, he was everything anyone could ever want. I heard the words you want to hear from your PH…

I am shooting the 450 grain Woodleigh SN bullets, and damn they make a hell of a smack on buff at 70 yards. I felt no recoil and I think the impact on the buff was louder than the muzzle blast. One bullet behind the shoulder, Buff took two steps, made a wobble and then turned behind a tree. I threw one more into him for good measure. 3 more steps and he was down.

View attachment 461259

Wow. No words to describe the experience! Still processing.

View attachment 461260
Awesome! Congratulations!

Love your Buffalo and the stock on your rifle as previously mentioned is beautiful. Congrats on a great hunt!

For those that had been to Tilodi, the rain has continued since I left.

Here is the creek crossing on the main road near the range:
Image1650375666.711304.jpg

Here is the dam at the back of the pond behind the lodge:
Image1650375692.809035.jpg

HOLEY CRAP .... as I tred throughout different areas and landscapes and I see dry river beds and old wash-outs, I gaze at them with amazement and wonder, what kind of power can do that?
It never ceases to amaze me !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross