SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: South Africa Disappointment With Steyn Safaris

Ben,

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, and that you are still re-living it all this time later...

I also had a bad experience with an African outfitter that probably would have ruined Africa for most others as well. The difference with me was that I had been an outfitter myself in the sportfishing industry fro many years. My experience in dealing with issues on both sides of the coin gave me a perspective and insight that allowed us to salvage our hunt. We also decided then and there that we were not going to let one bad event affect the many more great experiences we had during our first African safari.

We are embarking on our 5th African safari this August. It will be our 3rd trip with the same outfitter who, in our opinion, is the best in the business. If we had given up on Africa, we would have lost out on some of the very best experiences and friendships in our lives...I do have some concept of how you must feel, but you owe it to yourself to give Africa another chance.

Firehuntfish,

Ben,

I'm very sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, and that you are still re-living it all this time later...

I also had a bad experience with an African outfitter that probably would have ruined Africa for most others as well. The difference with me was that I had been an outfitter myself in the sportfishing industry fro many years. My experience in dealing with issues on both sides of the coin gave me a perspective and insight that allowed us to salvage our hunt. We also decided then and there that we were not going to let one bad event affect the many more great experiences we had during our first African safari.

We are embarking on our 5th African safari this August. It will be our 3rd trip with the same outfitter who, in our opinion, is the best in the business. If we had given up on Africa, we would have lost out on some of the very best experiences and friendships in our lives...I do have some concept of how you must feel, but you owe it to yourself to give Africa another chance.

Firehuntfish,

Very well said. Sounds like we have a lot in common. I had a similar experience in Russia, but we just decided to have fun with it and since we have been back once and looking forward to going again in 2014.

Mike,

I would love to hear some details about your Russian experiences... To me, Russia automatically registers as a destination that is going to be an "adventure" no matter how much research or planning is done...I would assume that you would almost have to expect some bumps in the road on that trip...?

However, Africa, and more specifically South Africa, is a destination that really doesn't have the reputation for logistical complications and/or an abundance of unscrupulous outfitters. I think most here would agree that the vast majority of outfitters in Southern Africa are very reputable outfits who have all the kinks worked out so to speak.....That's why it is so suprising and disappointing to hear of an event so bad that it ruins a client's appetite to ever return.

Mike,

I would love to hear some details about your Russian experiences... To me, Russia automatically registers as a destination that is going to be an "adventure" no matter how much research or planning is done...I would assume that you would almost have to expect some bumps in the road on that trip...?

However, Africa, and more specifically South Africa, is a destination that really doesn't have the reputation for logistical complications and/or an abundance of unscrupulous outfitters. I think most here would agree that the vast majority of outfitters in Southern Africa are very reputable outfits who have all the kinks worked out so to speak.....That's why it is so suprising and disappointing to hear of an event so bad that it ruins a client's appetite to ever return.

I agree, the few bad hunts don't compare to 1000's of successful hunts over the years.

And I too would love an education on Russia hunting.

What a nightmare! I am going to SA for the first time in2015, I sure hope I have a better trip than that. So sorry to hear about your trip. It's funny when I was looking for an outfitter your guy was recommended several times!

What a nightmare! I am going to SA for the first time in2015, I sure hope I have a better trip than that. So sorry to hear about your trip. It's funny when I was looking for an outfitter your guy was recommended several times!

Johnnyblues,

The outfitter that we had the incident with was during my first Safari in Namibia back in 2004. They will remain nameless, because I really see no reason to put them down on a public forum for one incident that I was able to handle on the spot between me, the owner, and the PH...99% of the trip was wonderful, so I see no reason hold a grudge.

Our issue was more with the PH and his "used car salesman" stunt that he tried to pull on us. What he didn't realize is that he was trying to sell to the world champion used car salesman(lol)...Overall, we had a good hunt, took some great trophies, made some lifelong friends & memories, and learned alot from our first African experience.

The outfitter that I recommeded to you was Limcroma Safaris out of the Limpopo in the RSA. Hannes runs his outfit completely different than any other outfitter we have ever experienced. With them, it's very different atmosphere and attitude than we have ever encountered. They really pay attention to the small details that make a big difference in the overall safari experience. They work their butts off to not just meet, but exceed your expectations. You never get the feeling it's ever about the business and money for them. They are genuine, sincere, and enthusiastic with every single client. You will be given the same effort and attention on a 5 day-3 animal plainsgame hunt as a client hunting the Big 5 spending tens of thousands. I say that without exaggeration....That's why I hold Limcroma in such high regard and am proud to recommend them whenever I can. My wife and I cannot wait for our 3rd hunt with them this August... I truly hope you give them serious consideration.

Johnnyblues,

The outfitter that we had the incident with was during my first Safari in Namibia back in 2004. They will remain nameless, because I really see no reason to put them down on a public forum for one incident that I was able to handle on the spot between me, the owner, and the PH...99% of the trip was wonderful, so I see no reason hold a grudge.

Our issue was more with the PH and his "used car salesman" stunt that he tried to pull on us. What he didn't realize is that he was trying to sell to the world champion used car salesman(lol)...Overall, we had a good hunt, took some great trophies, made some lifelong friends & memories, and learned alot from our first African experience.

The outfitter that I recommeded to you was Limcroma Safaris out of the Limpopo in the RSA. Hannes runs his outfit completely different than any other outfitter we have ever experienced. With them, it's very different atmosphere and attitude than we have ever encountered. They really pay attention to the small details that make a big difference in the overall safari experience. They work their butts off to not just meet, but exceed your expectations. You never get the feeling it's ever about the business and money for them. They are genuine, sincere, and enthusiastic with every single client. You will be given the same effort and attention on a 5 day-3 animal plainsgame hunt as a client hunting the Big 5 spending tens of thousands. I say that without exaggeration....That's why I hold Limcroma in such high regard and am proud to recommend them whenever I can. My wife and I cannot wait for our 3rd hunt with them this August... I truly hope you give them serious consideration.
Yes on your recommendation I did email them but have not received an answer yet. I Also have been giving Induna safaris a serious look. Extremely high praise from the references I spoke with.

Is this not the same AB Steyn who has been arrested wth Dawie Groenewald transporting 19 Rhino horns a couple of weeks ago?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg