SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Off Season Wanderings....

Just showed the video to my son who Marius had tried to get on an animal with his bow. I didn't tell him about the thread, just showed him the video. When he saw it he blurted out "he better not have missed, that was a big jump! Tell him I am teasing him! He would have hit it with a Hoyt" :D

Just showed the video to my son who Marius had tried to get on an animal with his bow. I didn't tell him about the thread, just showed him the video. When he saw it he blurted out "he better not have missed, that was a big jump! Tell him I am teasing him! He would have hit it with a Hoyt" :D

Tell him when you stand and pee, you can shoot a Mathews. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got back 3 days later to try and close the deal. As I mentioned earlier, I chose the warmest day to try and make sure I would have the best chance to run into him at his preferred waterhole. This way, I should get a clean shot, and hopefully this time, the animal will be in a relaxed state.

As we got there around 06:30, we found a breeding herd in the waterhole already. This was much earlier than I expected them to be close to the water. He was not part of the breeding herd, so we decided to have a look if we could find him on foot.
After covering some ground, we eventually ran into him feeding on the opposite side of the valley. There was no way that he had already been to the waterhole, and be back in that position by that time. That was a little comforting. I made half an attempt at a stalk, but that was duly ended by a pair of Giraffe who wasn't too happy with this figure of leaves moving around. Animals react to other animals, and a lot of animals watch Giraffe closely for any sign of danger. I have noticed animals change their demeanour by simply seeing a Giraffe staring in a certain direction for an extended amount of time.

The two bulls hung around for a while watching the Giraffe. I was roughly 60 yards behind them. It was getting warm, fast. For a moment I thought that I had a chance to close the last 20 yards, but had barely gotten to around 55 yards when they started walking into the thicker brush. The wind wasn't great at that stage, blowing from behind me, but at an angle. If the Sable was 12 'o clock, the wind was going to 10 'o clock, so not in my favor at all. The way they walked off, was certainly not from winding me. I figured out that they were heading for the waterhole. They probably had 400 yards to go. Time to get moving and get into position.
I called for the truck and met them on the road, and basically did a tuck and roll into a position that I had scouted on the second time I came to look for the bull when I got rained out. During that trip, I took the time to prepare a few natural blinds, where I could sit, depending on which direction the wind was coming from.
We sat for roughly 20 minutes when a lone bull walked in. This could have been the second bull with my targeted bull. I could only move once his head was behind brush or down for a drink, but got into a shooting position for when my chance would arrive. It was only a matter of time.

Here is the lone bull that walked in, but not my bull:

Attachments

• 2021-02-16 (5).png
    2021-02-16 (5).png
    748.5 KB · Views: 86
After a further 30 minutes after the first bull came in, my targeted bull decided to make an appearance. The range that I had worked at, was to the water's edge. That was where I was going to make my move. His head would be just below the ground level from the erosion, which would give me the time to draw my bow without being noticed.
He stood on the bank for a few seconds, which was further than I wanted to shoot. Certainly in range, but this was the 3rd time I had made the trip, and with the string jump still in my mind, I wanted to be sure.
How he picked us out of that scrub, is still a mystery to me. We had some cover, in the shade, face masked and "ghillied" up, and he still managed to "feel" that something wasn't quite right. In the video below, he's looking in our direction at something that seems out of place, and giving us a snort. This was effectively the end of this plan, and the start of my blood pressure rising. I think you can hear me say "No" after his snort.

I have to say, it is great to see the Red Billed Oxpeckers making a comeback to our area. You can see a few on the Sable bull. As far as I know, the farmers in the area started using an Oxpecker friendly dip to treat the cattle for ticks, and it must be working. The population of Oxpeckers have exploded which is great to see.

Attachments

• 2021-02-16 (6).png
    2021-02-16 (6).png
    766 KB · Views: 80
He is giving you a real run for your money. Clearly an educated bull.
Bruce
I think he had bad memories from the Ghillie. Didn't like that pattern, but wasn't hanging around to see what was going on.

This is great description of hunt, and excellent illustration by using video.
(y)

The bull didn't go too far from the waterhole, and all that I can think of, was that he wasn't too sure what disturbance he had seen. He knew something was wrong, but still had not actually identified us. I found him with two other bulls roughly 100 yards away from the waterhole. They weren't feeding, but weren't standing around either. Almost like they were looking for a place to settle down under some shade from the midday sun.
I kept some cover between us, and managed to sneak up to them. Left my shoes in the road.
I never had a range but the bulls were moving, and I still had not identified my bull out of the bull that I could see through the thick brush.
I saw one bull clear a gap, then another, and expected my bull to follow them. Instead, my bull walked out from nowhere, roughly 7 yards in front of me. Now, I don't know many bow hunters with a 7 yard pin, but I drew my bow, and still trying to be completely silent, leant around the bush and tried get a low aimed shot off. At that range, you are almost looking through your peep, and trying to look down your arrow shaft at the same time. He carried on walking away from me, only offering a Texas Heart shot, and did this until he melted into the next clump of bushes.
Still in my socks, I sneaked closer. It was one of those moments where you spot an animal, and you actually surprise yourself. All that I could pick up in the shadows, was a change in the texture through my binoculars. I got to a range of 22 yards, and could see a swoosh of a tail which confirmed my suspicions. No shot.
I picked up two bulls roughly 5 yards apart, and then one that was in the thickest of places. With the mid day heat, came swirling winds, and I imagine they must have caught a scent or saw something that they didn't like. One bull lead the way on a hasty walk, with the others following. Again, they only went another 100 yards or so. At this stage, it was close to 100 deg F. They didn't want to expend too much energy, and was preferring the shade created by the canopies.
I found the bulls once again, and after some observation, I could see that they would almost mill around. Stand in one spot, then rotate. Sometimes there was a shot presented, other times there was brush in the way roughly 5 yards or so in front of the target animal. With the rifle, one could thread it through. With my bow shooting ever so slightly flatter than a 9,3 x 62 ;) , it was a difficult feat. With the target still 5 yards away, the the arrow would still be a couple of inches above point of aim on its way to the target. Some patience was required. Eventually my target bull moved, and was facing in our direction. Range was 30 yards. Shooting with the setup I am using, penetration was never an issue. Now or never.

You can hear the thwack of that arrow!
Bruce

I am not moving before epilogue!

...With my bow shooting ever so slightly flatter than a 9,3 x 62 ;) , it was a difficult feat...
I feel like someone is going to start working on a new QR optic/pin system because of this line ...
“9,3 to Archery in under 3s with perfect zero every time” :LOL:

You said you were going to complete the story tonight?

Mark.

I like intrigue, not a long lasting endeavour:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross