SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: My Latest & Greatest Hunt With Limcroma Safaris!

September 1-10. We met Guillaume in Nashville this winter, or should I say spring it was in the 70's.
We don't have a lot of animals left on our list but wanted to have one more really nice trip. If we don't get our trophies, I would still have a couple to add. We aren't even sure where we will put the trophies that we are waiting for up. We already tore out some ceiling around the stairs for a grand view when you enter our house, and that is full already.
Each room has a theme. One guest room is elk, the other is pronghorn, the den is midwest (buffalo, turkey, deer), our bedroom is mostly African with a touch of deer and elk, the grand entrance is mostly African with a couple of American animals added in. When we have company everyone has heads looking at them, no matter where they go. My dad moved in a couple of years ago for his last few months. He couldn't climb the stairs, so he got the den with a shoulder mount buffalo looking down at his bed.

Sweet! Sounds very nice. I'm still waiting to get any of my African trophies... I still have more on the 'list' than I will get this trip (July 6-16).

Thanks for sharing. Nice writeup. Your smiles convey more than mere words can ever express.

Congrats for a great experience Dan !

Nice buff (y)

Congratulations! Thats is a great trip with great trophies! I admire anyone who goes after dangerous game with a bow! It MAKES you get close which is 99% of the fun of hunting! Thanks for the great pics!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Nice job to both of you. What bows and set up did you use? Can't wait until next year for our trip to Limcroma.

bowfishoholic,

For this trip, I brought my old, beat up Diamond Black Ice. I had it cranked to 72lbs. and I have a 29" draw length. Although a dinosaur by today's standards, it is still the smoothest, most accurate bow I have ever owned. I brought 2 sets of arrows and two separate sights tuned for each set of arrows.

My Cape buffalo arrow was a Grizzlystik Momentum Black 175 cut to 30" with 2" Blazer vanes and a Nocturnal nock. The arrows were custom built by Grizzlystik to have a 26% foc, and weighed a total of 975 grains with the Bishop Archery 315 grain 2-blade right single bevel, forged steel broadheads.

Lisa brought her Mathews DXT at 52lbs. and 27.5" of draw. She also shoots Grizzlystik shafts custom built to 25% foc, at 650 grains of total arrow weight with a Helix 200 grain, 2-blade, right single bevel, broadheads. She got 20" of penetration on a frontal shot on her giraffe with that set-up. All of her other animals were pass-thrus.

My plainsgame arrows where Carbon Express weight forward Hunters, also with a 200 grain Helix broadhead, with an foc at 22%, and a total arrow weight of 660 grains.

I am a real believer in these high foc, heavy arrows and 2-blade single bevel broadheads for maximum penetration. The combinations performed extremely well for us. I have been recommending higher foc, and heavier overall arrows to African bow hunting clients for a while now. I have been impressed with the field results that I have seen first-hand from not only our set-ups but from other clients as well... I am also much more confident with the end result of that "less than perfect" shot which we will all make at some point.

bowfishoholic,

For this trip, I brought my old, beat up Diamond Black Ice. I had it cranked to 72lbs. and I have a 29" draw length. Although a dinosaur by today's standards, it is still the smoothest, most accurate bow I have ever owned. I brought 2 sets of arrows and two separate sights tuned for each set of arrows.

My Cape buffalo arrow was a Grizzlystik Momentum Black 175 cut to 30" with 2" Blazer vanes and a Nocturnal nock. The arrows were custom built by Grizzlystik to have a 26% foc, and weighed a total of 975 grains with the Bishop Archery 315 grain 2-blade right single bevel, forged steel broadheads.

Lisa brought her Mathews DXT at 52lbs. and 27.5" of draw. She also shoots Grizzlystik shafts custom built to 25% foc, at 650 grains of total arrow weight with a Helix 200 grain, 2-blade, right single bevel, broadheads. She got 20" of penetration on a frontal shot on her giraffe with that set-up. All of her other animals were pass-thrus.

My plainsgame arrows where Carbon Express weight forward Hunters, also with a 200 grain Helix broadhead, with an foc at 22%, and a total arrow weight of 660 grains.

I am a real believer in these high foc, heavy arrows and 2-blade single bevel broadheads for maximum penetration. The combinations performed extremely well for us. I have been recommending higher foc, and heavier overall arrows to African bow hunting clients for a while now. I have been impressed with the field results that I have seen first-hand from not only our set-ups but from other clients as well... I am also much more confident with the end result of that "less than perfect" shot which we will all make at some point.
I'm amazed you didn't have to retune you bow with an over 300 grain arrow difference.

I'm glad to see you had success with heavier arrows. I went from 100 grain heads to 125 grain and added 50 grain insert weights giving me 175 grains up front but still only a total arrow weight of 480 grains.

Even with only a 75 grain difference and a slightly stiffer spine I need to retune my bow.

I'm amazed you didn't have to retune you bow with an over 300 grain arrow difference.

I'm glad to see you had success with heavier arrows. I went from 100 grain heads to 125 grain and added 50 grain insert weights giving me 175 grains up front but still only a total arrow weight of 480 grains.

Even with only a 75 grain difference and a slightly stiffer spine I need to retune my bow.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. Obviously I had different yardage marks for the lighter arrows, but no rest adjustment. My Carbon Express arrows were a heavier spine also, so it must have got them pretty close to the Grizzlystiks. I paper tuned both arrows out to 40 yards and they were shooting bullet holes. I didn't question it... I just enjoyed it...I think the fine tuning is more critical for the lighter arrows than the 975 grain arrows. According to the tech experts at Grizzlystik, once the arrow reaches a certain tow and foc, it flies like a dart pulling the arrow shaft rather than the shaft pushing the broadhead. Their assessment not mine, but it seems to be true... The arrow flew like they said it would and penetrated like they said it would. I can't argue with that...

A 480 grain arrow should be plenty as long as you also have a decent amount of foc and the right broadhead.

Yeah, I was surprised as well. Obviously I had different yardage marks for the lighter arrows, but no rest adjustment. My Carbon Express arrows were a heavier spine also, so it must have got them pretty close to the Grizzlystiks. I paper tuned both arrows out to 40 yards and they were shooting bullet holes. I didn't question it... I just enjoyed it...I think the fine tuning is more critical for the lighter arrows than the 975 grain arrows. According to the tech experts at Grizzlystik, once the arrow reaches a certain tow and foc, it flies like a dart pulling the arrow shaft rather than the shaft pushing the broadhead. Their assessment not mine, but it seems to be true... The arrow flew like they said it would and penetrated like they said it would. I can't argue with that...

A 480 grain arrow should be plenty as long as you also have a decent amount of foc and the right broadhead.
I'm planning on using slick trick heads and my foc is in the neighborhood of 18%.

I'm planning on using slick trick heads and my foc is in the neighborhood of 18%

Slicktricks are nasty heads, They perform very well on African game. An foc of 18% with a 480 grain arrow should be perfect shooting 65 lbs or more.

bowfishoholic,

Last time that I went to Limcroma, I was using the Fred Eichler traditional axis. They have the 75gr. Insert. They take the wind very well also. I shot a pronghorn antelope at 35 yds in about a 35 mph wind. Also shot an elk in even stronger wind and passed through with a 46# bow. I am a believer in higher foc also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg