SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Limcroma Safaris September 2021

archer36

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
This was a hunt postponed from 2020 due to the RSA border being closed to Americans. This was my first trip with @Limcroma Safaris but the second to RSA. My first was a rifle hunt. Took Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Impala, and Blesbok in 5 days with one shot each. No hard tracking or dogs needed. I decided to do a Crossbow hunt this time, wanting only three animals. A Eland, Waterbuck, and Red Hartebeest. My Son accompanied me for the experience but not to hunt specifically.
Well to say I had a FULL African experience would be an understatement. Tracking with dogs and by foot over many hours was the case for two animals. I was told a Red Hartebeest would be near impossible to kill so I scratched it off my list. It was an accurate assessment as none made an appearance to the waterholes.
I was totally unprepared to hunt such large animals at such close range with the setup of my scope/crossbow. If you don't know the technicalities of using a Speed Compensating Scope, I won't bore you with the details. My scope was set at 4X which is the appropriate magnification to shoot from 20-60 yds at deer sized game.
It is not the best magnification for shooting animals four times the size of deer. After wounding a Waterbuck, I laid in bed wondering how I can muff up such an easy shot? If I can hit deer at 30 yds, how do I miss a perfect shot at 20 yds. Well I came to the conclusion, I wasn't seeing the whole animal. Also, I wasn't aiming properly for African game, but instinctively aiming center mass or heart shots like on deer. Old habits are hard to break. Long story short, my Waterbuck was found days later.
1632764602824.png

Onto my Eland.
I properly adjusted my scope to 2X after looking over some animals through it simulating a shot. A massive Eland came into the sight window of my pit blind at 15 yds, presented me with a perfect broadside shot. I aimed for the crease behind the shoulder and made a "perfect" shot. The PH video'd the shot and agreed it was a dead animal. Not so fast. We waited about 40 minutes, started to track and found him laying with his head up. The PH was convinced that he would expire if we gave him more time. We went to lunch, got a recovery wagon, and came back around 2 PM. We took up the track again, finding blood the whole way but never seeing him. We gave up for the night and came back the next morning. The Tracker finding blood the whole way. He is found about 40 minutes later.
1632765036223.png

So, I was elated. Having no more animals on my list. I convinced my Son to take a Warthog, should a fine Male present itself. They were very scarce and people at Camp also noted that. But on the last afternoon, a fine Warthog made himself available and my Son made a great 70 yd shot with the PH's rifle. He also joined the "half moon" club.
1632765197043.png

WORDS OF ADVICE
If you hunt large African animals with a Crossbow, use a 1X-2X power magnification or a red dot scope. That's all you need. Your shots will not be more than 30 yds. Forget about all that fancy Speed Compensating Reticle stuff. YOU WON'T NEED it.
Also, listen to your PH. He told me to take the animals "on the shoulder". I was skeptical about that. But, my arrow passed through both animals easily. The arrow I shot the Eland with was recovered about 50 yds beyond the point of impact. This shows how effective the proper arrow/broadhead setup is. I was using a TenPoint Stealth NXT with a total arrow weight of 500 gr. The BH was a 150 gr Slick Trick Crossbow head. It passed through and came out intact. Keep in mind, I avoided any major bones by hitting the crease (all ribs) and not "on the shoulder". But that caused a more difficult recovery. Not hitting both lungs properly.
My experience with Limcroma was fantastic in all respects.
I learned a lot. Sometimes, 45 years of hunting experience can work against you instead of aid you.
I am convinced that should I use a crossbow again, I will not make the same mistakes.
My PH did have an interesting comment though. He said, "that's why the American Indians lost and the Cavalry won the war". LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your safari report! Glad to hear you enjoyed your time at Limcroma.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Great trophies, thanks for sharing. Limcroma sounds like it hasn't changed since I hunted with them back in 2013. They were fantastic.

Actually, we have changed a bit (in a good way) ;)...

We have built an additional lodge (Sable Valley Lodge) that was custom designed to accommodate the many couples and families we host each season. We have also added in excess of another 50K acres of hunting properties that are managed exclusively for our guests to hunt. Additionally, we have more options than ever in regard to non-hunting excursions and activities for our guests to enjoy including guided bio-conservation tours on our own properties.

Thank you for the kind words @vancewalker007...! We would love the opportunity to host you back at camp once again in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.