Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ABO, SCI, SABA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
I have just returned from an incredible hunting trip to the Northern Cape Province, I have spent the last week hunting with FM Safaris situated in Grootdrink just outside of Upington. An incredible expanse of pristine é›»uine veld of some 16, 000 Hectares (nearly 40,000 Acres). The only times I ever saw a fence line was on the day of my arrival and departure, operated by the Kriel family who consists of Dr. Peter Kriel, his charming wife Lynne, his son Roland Kriel and his partner Marie. A more professional, courteous and friendly group of people you are not likely to come across, they treat each and every client of theirs like royalty, which is not surprising as FM Safaris is a popular hunting destination of the Saudi Royal Family. Although many people may have the pre conception that the Northern Cape or Kalahari is an endless expanse of dry and featureless plains nothing could be further from the truth. Through intense fauna and flora management the Kriel's have created what can aptly be called an oasis in the heart of the old country. I was personally astounded to experience the incredible diversity of terrain and wildlife present on FM Safaris, Steep rock strewn mountains frame the open salt plains and Swarthaak thickets, whilst deep gulley's and high rolling red dunes present ample stalking opportunity. As far as species are concerned there is more than enough to choose from the 23 species to satisfy even the most stringent of trophy hunters. Especial care had been taken to establish indigenous species and one can easily see what great success this is. Massive herds of Gemsbuck and Springbuck (Common, Black & White), (Cape) Kudu, Red Hartebeest, Blesbuck (Common, White & Yellow), Roan, Sable, Waterbuck, Nyala, Ostrich, Steenbuck and Duiker to just name a few thrive on FM Safaris.

On a personal note, I had the great fortune to take amongst others a cantankerous old Blue Wildebeest Bull and an absolute once-in-a-lifetime Gemsbuck Bull that with a longest Horn length of 43 3/8 and a score of over 103 would make the new SCI Archery (Compound & Crossbow) World Record as well as be under the 15 biggest Kalahari Gemsbuck ever taken in South Africa. (Keep an eye on the future editions of the African Outfitter Magazine and African Hunting Gazette for the whole story.)

I have been very fortunate to have hunted on a great many properties and countries throughout Africa in my career as hunting writer and can honestly state that a better hunting operation and outfit than FM Safaris I have not seen. The service, quality and professionalism are absolutely first class. Outfitters and hunters are welcome to get in touch with the owners directly either through having a look at their website, F M Safaris- Hunting excellence in the Kalahari or by sending an email to Dr. Peter Kriel at kalahari@fmsafaris.co.za Local hunters and Outfitters are welcome to call them at Mobile Phone Numbers, +2783 264 8725 / +2783 702 9339 / +2779 503 4524.

Attachments

• FM Safaris Main Lodge.JPG
    FM Safaris Main Lodge.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 371
  • FM Safaris Main Gate.JPG
    FM Safaris Main Gate.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Gemsbuck - FM Safaris.JPG
    Gemsbuck - FM Safaris.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 355
  • FM Safaris Cruizer.JPG
    FM Safaris Cruizer.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 319
  • Blue Wildebeest - FM Safaris.JPG
    Blue Wildebeest - FM Safaris.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 374
INGOZI

Fantastic trophies, thanks for sharing, your Gemmy is a record class head.....

Monish

Thanks for posting your hunt report INGOZI.

My pleasure Jerome. Thanks for the opportunity.

nice hunt report sir :)

Thank you ibie

My pleasure ltm0807

Thanks for the report Ingozi, that is an awesome gemsbuck.

nd

Thank you sir, here are a few more pics of the trophies taken.

Attachments

• 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 281
I can't say enough how great of a Gemsbok you were able to take. Congrats!!!!

Thank you so much sir, I sincerely appreciate it.

Beautiful Gemsbuck. What distance did you shoot from and can you give us info regards your crossbow?

Thank you sir, I took the Gemsbuck at 40 yards by ambushing the bull next to a trail, the wildebeest was stalked and taken at 51 yards. The Impala was at 42 yards and the Springbuck 33 yards.

I had recently hurt my shoulder and chose to use the new 2010 Tenpoint TurboXLT 180# on this hunt. I used Easton 2219 Crossbow Hunter Bolts tipped with my trusty 130gr 4-blade broadhead.

It is not as easy as one migt think, I had to limit my shooting range to just 50 yards because of accuracy (stalking conditions and shooting offhand) whilst I can comfortably shoot out to 80 yards with my compound.

Thanks again for the kind words,

Engee Potgieter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg