SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: First African Hunt Cape Buffalo With My Bow

Mnovak

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
We just completed a 12 day experience with 10 days of hunting in Africa with WNhuntingsafaris. The short story, fabulous! This has been my most memorable hunt to date. I apologize, it’s a long post but I think you’ll enjoy it.

We left Arkansas on a late flight, got into Atlanta with a short layover for a all nighter to Johannesburg. There were 5 of us traveling, 4 from Arkansas and one from Michigan. We had another buddy from Michigan who suffered a back injury which didn’t allow him to join us. We arrived in Joberg around 4pm their time the next day. We were met by our outfitter and PHs at the baggage claim. They assisted us through the entire process of receiving our bags, loaded our things into 3 trucks and off we went, headed north to the North West province and Limpopo.

Myself, my girlfriend and Dan from Michigan were primarily archery hunting. My buddy Denny was gun hunting. We all had multiple animals on our target list but for the sake of keeping the post not entirely too long I’ll stick to mine and my girlfriends animals for the most part.

We arrived at the first camp about 4 hours after leaving Joberg. We unloaded unpacked and settled into a vet nice accommodation. We had a late dinner and went to bed dreaming of buffalo and other critters. Cape buffalo with a bow was my primary target animal.

Day 1
My main focus was Cape buffalo with my bow. I wanted to stalk these magnificent animals and get an opportunity to face Black Death with my bow. I took two separate bows on this trip. One for plains game and one specifically for a Cape buffalo My setup for the buffalo was a Mathews Wake pulling 82lbs. A 750 grain arrow setup with a 300 grain broadhead traveling at 246 fps providing 102 ftlbs of kinetic energy! I was in awe Day 1 so different than what I’m used to, we saw a variety of animals but the focus was Cape buffalo. After locating a good herd with a couple mature bulls my PH and I agreed to target a specific old dagga boy in the group. Excitement was an understatement. Myself the PH and tracker set off with the wind in our favor. It was very thick where we were stalking these buffalo and my bow looked less and less effective as I carried it through the bush. 5 or 6 kilometer tracking and we were close to the herd, anxiety raised, heart pumping. To see these huge animals for the first time in close quarters is shocking. Again looking at my bow and wondering if I’ve made the right decision. We stayed on this herd and was working 40 yards of buffalo several times but no shots were offered on day 1.

Day 2-3
I combine these days because it was more of the same, locating the herd and now focusing on a specific old dagga bull that my PH was set on. Other bulls looked wider etc but he assured me that If we could harvest this old bull with a bow it would be a worthy experience and hell of accomplishment!

We stalked over and over, wind swirled on a couple stalks and ended our opportunities. I was starting to feel like it wasn’t going to work. Some time during day 3 we located a group of Sabel, I did want to hunt Sabel so we decided to grab my other bow and stalk the Sabel herd. I learned a little about Africa, take what the bush offers and don’t pass an opportunity presented. We stalked into 42 yds of the bull that my PH had us focused on. The Sable were in a less dense area, we ran out of cover at 42 yds. There were 3 Sabel from the group, 2 laying down an the one bull I was after standing to the right of this group. We couldn’t step around the brush or we would be exposed. My PH said to come to full draw, step out to the left and if I had a shot shoot. I drew, stepped out at full draw 42 yds and the big bull blew, spun on a dime and off they went with me still at full draw. As I let the bow down I again was second guessing my choice of archery hunting Africa.

Evening of day 3 in camp, other hunters have harvested a few animals, I’m feeling like I’m waiting my time. My PH was feeling my stress. Divan, my PH recommended we change things up, we decided to go to a different property and chase some different animals.

Day 4
We start off shortly after daylight, several animals in my list the PH spots 2 nice Nyala bulls and off we go. This property was hilly, more rugged terrain. We get the wind right and work our way up to the flat that the Nyala appeared to be feeding on. We get to 37 yds and this was my shot. The PH points out the bigger of the 2 and confirms he’s a nice one. I get steady, draw my bow and release the arrow. Solid hit l, perfect left to right but a little high. This is where I learn that African animals are tough! I mean they refuse to die! We wait 20 min or so and off we go with the tracker to locate the Nyala. We find the Nyala on his feet a couple hundred yards from where I shot him, we worked in for another shot. This time in very thick cover, no shot. Bumped him. Stalked or followed for at least a kilometer until we finally worked into an area going up a mountain where it was less thick. Worked the wind and took our time to get an ethical shot. 45yds up hill finally a shot. Unfortunately facing us quartering. I took my time drew and sent the arrow, hard hit!! Went in his right front shoulder and came out his left ass cheek. Hitting vitals as I should have the first time. Finally my first African animal down!

Day 5
We go back after the Sabel we missed a chance on a couple days earlier. We locate the Sabel early and make a stalk. We get busted the Sabel seem curious and walk a bit but don’t blow out. My PH tells me this is normal but if we push them or bump them again they will be gone. It’s day 5 of 10 and only one animal down for me. I grab my PHs rifle and shoot my Sable at 100yds. We discussed using the rifle several times but I really wanted to use my bow. I also learned that Africa only gives you so many chances, now I have 2 animals down. We take care if my Sabel and decide to go to a bow blind to sit and see what comes to the water hole that evening. We saw lots of game and I quickly became focused on a Kudu. Several younger Kudu bulls came in, cows and young ones. Impala, a couple Wilderbeast and all kinds of birds and monkeys lol. Finally just before dark a nice mature Kudu bull comes in, my PH says he’s mature. He also says there are bigger bulls, he guessed him to be 53”. He looked huge to me, it’s the evening of day 5. The big Kudu comes in for a drink 28 yds I drew and center punched the bull. Animals ran everywhere, we watched the Kudu I shot run off and drop within eyesight! High fives And hugs, I was pumped! We recovered the Kudu in short order, less than 100yds away.

Day 6
The outfitter wants to travel to the free state camp for plains game, last chance for my Cape Buffalo. We locate the heard late morning. We again stalk the heard and get in close. We are in thick cover, I can see black shadows moving through the bush, I hear them grunting, breaking limbs as they move, breathing, we are close. 7 yds at one point. Good thing I have cotton underwear on, to say I wasn’t nervous would be a lie. We’re trying to locate the big bull or any mature old bull at this point. With it so thick and so many buffalo it was hard to find the one and then work on a shot opportunity. All of a sudden all hell breaks loose, I think I shit myself. It sounded like a freight train going through the bush as the herd took off. Luckily away from us, the PH wasn’t sure if they smelt us but that’s what he said. He said a Buffalo can see you or hear you and you’re ok but if they smell you they are going. Feeling defeated and frustrated we worked our way back to the truck. We make a plan to circle and try to relocate the herd. While driving the PH stops the truck, he spotted a nice water buck. Take what the bush gives ran through my head. We jump off the truck and make a plan to stalk the water buck. It happened fast, we worked our way around and were able to get to 80 yds. It was thick, and swampy and in two leaps the water buck would be in some really nasty thick bush. I swap my bow for the PHs rifle again. I makes quick shot, we hear a crash shortly after the water buck takes off. Big water buck down! We get the truck navigated to near where the water buck fell, tracker using a machete to clear the way. The PH and tracker are working in winching the Water Buck into the truck, I hear twigs snapping. I look behind me and a young Buffalo bull is standing there at 20yds looking at me like I owe him money. I think I shit myself again. I grab the guided rifle that was leaning on a bush as he worked on loading the water buck. I made two leaps with the rifle, through the rifle to my PH as I said buffalo. My PH told me to get in the truck and he wasn’t far behind me along with the tracker. The bull stayed there and acted like he was planning to take the truck on! He eventually left after some hollering, to say I want scared a bit would be a lie. He left we got the water buck loaded and the hell out of there.

Day 7
We are scheduled to leave the next morning for the free state camp. One guy already left the day before for a Lion hunt, we all are scheduled to meet at the free state camp that next morning. I’m up to 4 animals now a Nyala, Sable, Kudu and Water buck. But still no Cape buffalo, Black Death has avoided me and humbled me as I pursue them. We locate the herd later morning of day 7 we do what we had done several times prior, get the wind right stalk the herd and work for a shot. We follow the herd for 5-6 kilometers that day until mid day. We locate where the herd has stopped. We change things up, the tracker recommends that we leave the buffalo because there is a water hole close by and he and the PH think they will water in the evening. We back out and go back to camp for a quick lunch. We decided to sit there bow blind at that water hole bear where we left the buffalo. We get set up in the blind expecting that the buffalo may come to drink just before dark. We see some duiker, and birds. It’s fairly slow then we hear brush and buffalo. They are coming early it’s only 5 o’clock. Before you know it the buffalo funnel out of the bush. Cows, bulls I start counting 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 total and the big old bull comes out. He grunts and pushes others out of the way as he comes into the water. He’s standing at 20 yds but quartered hard away exposing his right side. I’m focused on him and him alone, my PH is coaching me and telling me to be patient, minutes seem like an hour. Waiting for the big dagga boy to turn or move or something. Finally he pushes his way to my right turning almost broadside slightly quartered away. Perfect angle for the shot but there’s another buffalo in the way. I’m patiently waiting for a clear shot, again minutes seem like forever. Finally an opening and it all happened like I’ve practiced so many times. I drew, found my target and release the arrow! The arrow found its mark, the old bull hunched up and growled! He pushed another buffalo aside as he walked trying to determine w what happened. He then trashed and ran sending all of the buffalo running a short distance and staying in a herd. I was shaking from adrenaline, blood was pouring from the bull, I knew my arrow had met its mark. It was surreal, I was excited and yet felt a solem respect for the old bull I had just shot. The bull walked and his herd surrounded him. As they disappeared into to bush we could still see their silhouettes. We heard bellowing browns, the PH said there’s the death bellow, he’s dying. I was excited yet humble and maybe even a little sad. I worked so hard for such a magnificent animal and deeply respected the life I just took. The PH called the guide for a truck to come for us, the buffalo were not leaving. The outfitter has to shoot his pistol and drive the truck into the bush to push the buffalo away. It was an amazing thing to witness. Finally I was able to approach my bull, an amazing old dagga boy that I was able to harvest with one arrow. He was only 100 yds from where I shot him. The load out was a chore, several people witches the buffalo into a trailer. To say he way a C huge animal was an understatement. Huge bosses that were worn smooth in large part due to age. A grizzled scared face and body tell a story of a tough old bruiser if a buffalo!

Day 8-9
We leave early for the free state where we hunted plains games for 2 days at one camp then moved on Day10 to another camp also in the free state. We decided to use whatever weapon needed to be successful for these last two days. Some were shot with bow and others with a rifle, all are valued trophies. On day 8 and 9 I harvested a zebra (gun), my girlfriend harvested a gemsbuck (gun), duiker (gun), 2 Impala a normal (bow) one and a beautiful black one (gun).

Day 10
We move early to our last camp in the free state. My girlfriend harvests a zebra (gun) and a spring buck (gun). I harvested a huge Red Lechwe a Blessbuck and a black Wilderbeast all with a rifle. We ended up as a group harvesting 35 animals.

We had an absolutely amazing hunt and experience. Or outfitter was top notch from the food, accommodations, professionalism and all the way around a great experience. I’ve attached a few pics of my buffalo.

8AD179EB-8398-4B0B-9103-13B444C723DE.jpeg
BD045B72-36BE-4B76-957F-9006D46ED0FA.jpeg
B6A615B5-27BA-470A-A073-387EF49C06A2.jpeg
27373B78-D4DA-4E0D-AC9E-8ECD155B1411.jpeg
1D3B0EF5-7C6D-4DCB-A7EA-8007E1B55131.jpeg
C553DCE8-740D-42E0-B844-966DAA634A3A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats. A bow for a cape? And I am nervous looking to hunt them with a gun!

Proper ol’ bull there! Congratulations!

Heck of a bull and with a bow! Congratulations. Well done.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

A grand old bull, congrats!

Congrats on a great hunt and many trophy animal!!
Story well told !!

Great job! I love the way the old bull is worn smooth. Very nice shooting and way to stay patient.

I apologize for some of the misspellings in my post, I should have proof read my post. I just read back through it now and realized my errors. I’m sure everyone can appreciate my excitement as I told my story. Africa has changed me as a hunter, I’m already ready to go back! Thank you for all the kind words.

Congratulations on a very successful safari, thanks for the report and pictures. Well done.

Congrats for a great hunt !

Loved the story, your patience and a very nice Buffalo as your reward!
Congratulations on all your animals and wonderful trip.

We just completed a 12 day experience with 10 days of hunting in Africa with WNhuntingsafaris. The short story, fabulous! This has been my most memorable hunt to date. I apologize, it’s a long post but I think you’ll enjoy it.

We left Arkansas on a late flight, got into Atlanta with a short layover for a all nighter to Johannesburg. There were 5 of us traveling, 4 from Arkansas and one from Michigan. We had another buddy from Michigan who suffered a back injury which didn’t allow him to join us. We arrived in Joberg around 4pm their time the next day. We were met by our outfitter and PHs at the baggage claim. They assisted us through the entire process of receiving our bags, loaded our things into 3 trucks and off we went, headed north to the North West province and Limpopo.

Myself, my girlfriend and Dan from Michigan were primarily archery hunting. My buddy Denny was gun hunting. We all had multiple animals on our target list but for the sake of keeping the post not entirely too long I’ll stick to mine and my girlfriends animals for the most part.

We arrived at the first camp about 4 hours after leaving Joberg. We unloaded unpacked and settled into a vet nice accommodation. We had a late dinner and went to bed dreaming of buffalo and other critters. Cape buffalo with a bow was my primary target animal.

Day 1
My main focus was Cape buffalo with my bow. I wanted to stalk these magnificent animals and get an opportunity to face Black Death with my bow. I took two separate bows on this trip. One for plains game and one specifically for a Cape buffalo My setup for the buffalo was a Mathews Wake pulling 82lbs. A 750 grain arrow setup with a 300 grain broadhead traveling at 246 fps providing 102 ftlbs of kinetic energy! I was in awe Day 1 so different than what I’m used to, we saw a variety of animals but the focus was Cape buffalo. After locating a good herd with a couple mature bulls my PH and I agreed to target a specific old dagga boy in the group. Excitement was an understatement. Myself the PH and tracker set off with the wind in our favor. It was very thick where we were stalking these buffalo and my bow looked less and less effective as I carried it through the bush. 5 or 6 kilometer tracking and we were close to the herd, anxiety raised, heart pumping. To see these huge animals for the first time in close quarters is shocking. Again looking at my bow and wondering if I’ve made the right decision. We stayed on this herd and was working 40 yards of buffalo several times but no shots were offered on day 1.

Day 2-3
I combine these days because it was more of the same, locating the herd and now focusing on a specific old dagga bull that my PH was set on. Other bulls looked wider etc but he assured me that If we could harvest this old bull with a bow it would be a worthy experience and hell of accomplishment!

We stalked over and over, wind swirled on a couple stalks and ended our opportunities. I was starting to feel like it wasn’t going to work. Some time during day 3 we located a group of Sabel, I did want to hunt Sabel so we decided to grab my other bow and stalk the Sabel herd. I learned a little about Africa, take what the bush offers and don’t pass an opportunity presented. We stalked into 42 yds of the bull that my PH had us focused on. The Sable were in a less dense area, we ran out of cover at 42 yds. There were 3 Sabel from the group, 2 laying down an the one bull I was after standing to the right of this group. We couldn’t step around the brush or we would be exposed. My PH said to come to full draw, step out to the left and if I had a shot shoot. I drew, stepped out at full draw 42 yds and the big bull blew, spun on a dime and off they went with me still at full draw. As I let the bow down I again was second guessing my choice of archery hunting Africa.

Evening of day 3 in camp, other hunters have harvested a few animals, I’m feeling like I’m waiting my time. My PH was feeling my stress. Divan, my PH recommended we change things up, we decided to go to a different property and chase some different animals.

Day 4
We start off shortly after daylight, several animals in my list the PH spots 2 nice Nyala bulls and off we go. This property was hilly, more rugged terrain. We get the wind right and work our way up to the flat that the Nyala appeared to be feeding on. We get to 37 yds and this was my shot. The PH points out the bigger of the 2 and confirms he’s a nice one. I get steady, draw my bow and release the arrow. Solid hit l, perfect left to right but a little high. This is where I learn that African animals are tough! I mean they refuse to die! We wait 20 min or so and off we go with the tracker to locate the Nyala. We find the Nyala on his feet a couple hundred yards from where I shot him, we worked in for another shot. This time in very thick cover, no shot. Bumped him. Stalked or followed for at least a kilometer until we finally worked into an area going up a mountain where it was less thick. Worked the wind and took our time to get an ethical shot. 45yds up hill finally a shot. Unfortunately facing us quartering. I took my time drew and sent the arrow, hard hit!! Went in his right front shoulder and came out his left ass cheek. Hitting vitals as I should have the first time. Finally my first African animal down!

Day 5
We go back after the Sabel we missed a chance on a couple days earlier. We locate the Sabel early and make a stalk. We get busted the Sabel seem curious and walk a bit but don’t blow out. My PH tells me this is normal but if we push them or bump them again they will be gone. It’s day 5 of 10 and only one animal down for me. I grab my PHs rifle and shoot my Sable at 100yds. We discussed using the rifle several times but I really wanted to use my bow. I also learned that Africa only gives you so many chances, now I have 2 animals down. We take care if my Sabel and decide to go to a bow blind to sit and see what comes to the water hole that evening. We saw lots of game and I quickly became focused on a Kudu. Several younger Kudu bulls came in, cows and young ones. Impala, a couple Wilderbeast and all kinds of birds and monkeys lol. Finally just before dark a nice mature Kudu bull comes in, my PH says he’s mature. He also says there are bigger bulls, he guessed him to be 53”. He looked huge to me, it’s the evening of day 5. The big Kudu comes in for a drink 28 yds I drew and center punched the bull. Animals ran everywhere, we watched the Kudu I shot run off and drop within eyesight! High fives And hugs, I was pumped! We recovered the Kudu in short order, less than 100yds away.

Day 6
The outfitter wants to travel to the free state camp for plains game, last chance for my Cape Buffalo. We locate the heard late morning. We again stalk the heard and get in close. We are in thick cover, I can see black shadows moving through the bush, I hear them grunting, breaking limbs as they move, breathing, we are close. 7 yds at one point. Good thing I have cotton underwear on, to say I wasn’t nervous would be a lie. We’re trying to locate the big bull or any mature old bull at this point. With it so thick and so many buffalo it was hard to find the one and then work on a shot opportunity. All of a sudden all hell breaks loose, I think I shit myself. It sounded like a freight train going through the bush as the herd took off. Luckily away from us, the PH wasn’t sure if they smelt us but that’s what he said. He said a Buffalo can see you or hear you and you’re ok but if they smell you they are going. Feeling defeated and frustrated we worked our way back to the truck. We make a plan to circle and try to relocate the herd. While driving the PH stops the truck, he spotted a nice water buck. Take what the bush gives ran through my head. We jump off the truck and make a plan to stalk the water buck. It happened fast, we worked our way around and were able to get to 80 yds. It was thick, and swampy and in two leaps the water buck would be in some really nasty thick bush. I swap my bow for the PHs rifle again. I makes quick shot, we hear a crash shortly after the water buck takes off. Big water buck down! We get the truck navigated to near where the water buck fell, tracker using a machete to clear the way. The PH and tracker are working in winching the Water Buck into the truck, I hear twigs snapping. I look behind me and a young Buffalo bull is standing there at 20yds looking at me like I owe him money. I think I shit myself again. I grab the guided rifle that was leaning on a bush as he worked on loading the water buck. I made two leaps with the rifle, through the rifle to my PH as I said buffalo. My PH told me to get in the truck and he wasn’t far behind me along with the tracker. The bull stayed there and acted like he was planning to take the truck on! He eventually left after some hollering, to say I want scared a bit would be a lie. He left we got the water buck loaded and the hell out of there.

Day 7
We are scheduled to leave the next morning for the free state camp. One guy already left the day before for a Lion hunt, we all are scheduled to meet at the free state camp that next morning. I’m up to 4 animals now a Nyala, Sable, Kudu and Water buck. But still no Cape buffalo, Black Death has avoided me and humbled me as I pursue them. We locate the herd later morning of day 7 we do what we had done several times prior, get the wind right stalk the herd and work for a shot. We follow the herd for 5-6 kilometers that day until mid day. We locate where the herd has stopped. We change things up, the tracker recommends that we leave the buffalo because there is a water hole close by and he and the PH think they will water in the evening. We back out and go back to camp for a quick lunch. We decided to sit there bow blind at that water hole bear where we left the buffalo. We get set up in the blind expecting that the buffalo may come to drink just before dark. We see some duiker, and birds. It’s fairly slow then we hear brush and buffalo. They are coming early it’s only 5 o’clock. Before you know it the buffalo funnel out of the bush. Cows, bulls I start counting 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 total and the big old bull comes out. He grunts and pushes others out of the way as he comes into the water. He’s standing at 20 yds but quartered hard away exposing his right side. I’m focused on him and him alone, my PH is coaching me and telling me to be patient, minutes seem like an hour. Waiting for the big dagga boy to turn or move or something. Finally he pushes his way to my right turning almost broadside slightly quartered away. Perfect angle for the shot but there’s another buffalo in the way. I’m patiently waiting for a clear shot, again minutes seem like forever. Finally an opening and it all happened like I’ve practiced so many times. I drew, found my target and release the arrow! The arrow found its mark, the old bull hunched up and growled! He pushed another buffalo aside as he walked trying to determine w what happened. He then trashed and ran sending all of the buffalo running a short distance and staying in a herd. I was shaking from adrenaline, blood was pouring from the bull, I knew my arrow had met its mark. It was surreal, I was excited and yet felt a solem respect for the old bull I had just shot. The bull walked and his herd surrounded him. As they disappeared into to bush we could still see their silhouettes. We heard bellowing browns, the PH said there’s the death bellow, he’s dying. I was excited yet humble and maybe even a little sad. I worked so hard for such a magnificent animal and deeply respected the life I just took. The PH called the guide for a truck to come for us, the buffalo were not leaving. The outfitter has to shoot his pistol and drive the truck into the bush to push the buffalo away. It was an amazing thing to witness. Finally I was able to approach my bull, an amazing old dagga boy that I was able to harvest with one arrow. He was only 100 yds from where I shot him. The load out was a chore, several people witches the buffalo into a trailer. To say he way a C huge animal was an understatement. Huge bosses that were worn smooth in large part due to age. A grizzled scared face and body tell a story of a tough old bruiser if a buffalo!

Day 8-9
We leave early for the free state where we hunted plains games for 2 days at one camp then moved on Day10 to another camp also in the free state. We decided to use whatever weapon needed to be successful for these last two days. Some were shot with bow and others with a rifle, all are valued trophies. On day 8 and 9 I harvested a zebra (gun), my girlfriend harvested a gemsbuck (gun), duiker (gun), 2 Impala a normal (bow) one and a beautiful black one (gun).

Day 10
We move early to our last camp in the free state. My girlfriend harvests a zebra (gun) and a spring buck (gun). I harvested a huge Red Lechwe a Blessbuck and a black Wilderbeast all with a rifle. We ended up as a group harvesting 35 animals.

We had an absolutely amazing hunt and experience. Or outfitter was top notch from the food, accommodations, professionalism and all the way around a great experience. I’ve attached a few pics of my buffalo.

View attachment 478515View attachment 478516View attachment 478517View attachment 478518View attachment 478519View attachment 478520
Congratulations and thanks for the great story/report. Exciting!
Did the arrow hit a rib or any bone on the way in. Thanks in advance, I have never hunted with a bow. Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettTim

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross