SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Buffalo & Plains Game Rifle/Bowhunting With Limpopo Big Game Safaris In January 2021 RSA

That sounded like a great hunt and very nice animals!

Did the 300gr Peregrine stay in the Buffalo? They really expand and wouldn’t be surprise. I used the 300 gr on a Buff and Zebra in 2018, great performance.

Curious if you shot the light rifle since you’ve returned and if it was “on“ or possibly something other than H414.

Appreciate you taking the time to put together a detailed report with lots of pictures!

I too was hoping to see the bullet, the skinner went looking for it but couldn't find it. All he found was the little plunger.

I have not shot the light rifle since, I'm just as curious. On the bright side, I actually have a couple pounds of Varget, which is known to be temperature stable to work up a new load.

I too was hoping to see the bullet, the skinner went looking for it but couldn't find it. All he found was the little plunger.

I have not shot the light rifle since, I'm just as curious. On the bright side, I actually have a couple pounds of Varget, which is known to be temperature stable to work up a new load.
Varget should work well with the 150 Barnes.

Ryan—- nicely done on all hunting. Great write up and pictures—- thank you

Thanks for sharing your adventure ! Great Buffalo, WMH!

WOW! An absolutely grand trip! Good for you making it happen! Not sure I am still tenacious enough to go through all that.

On the steenbok, this is what we all should hope for. But, as you said, they can tend to move at just the wrong time. A fine looking trophy! One is still on my list.

Thanks so much for sharing such a grand adventure! I needed this!
Exactly. It is great to hear of a trip that took place. Thank you. Your friend, Brian

Great report, thanks for sharing. Congrats on fine looking critters.
I am leaving for RSA in 3 weeks, Delta/KLM as well. I know broadheads are a big no-no in Netherlands, did they give you any problems with knives/leatherman? Did you have them listed on consent form prior to trip?

Great report, thanks for sharing. Congrats on fine looking critters.
I am leaving for RSA in 3 weeks, Delta/KLM as well. I know broadheads are a big no-no in Netherlands, did they give you any problems with knives/leatherman? Did you have them listed on consent form prior to trip?
I didn't list my pocket knives or Leatherman and nothing was ever said about them through Amsterdam or Paris. They were of course locked in my luggage. I seem to recall looking up knives for Netherlands and what I mostly found was about what could or couldn't be carried. Since they were in my luggage, not on me, and the ones I had are pretty basic pocket knives I didn't think much about declaring them.

Thanks for info,
Preparing to go, with things changing daily, not counting on anything until plane is on the ground in RSA

Fantastic report! Great writing and pictures. Thanks for sharing.

That sounded like a great hunt and very nice animals!

Did the 300gr Peregrine stay in the Buffalo? They really expand and wouldn’t be surprise. I used the 300 gr on a Buff and Zebra in 2018, great performance.

Curious if you shot the light rifle since you’ve returned and if it was “on“ or possibly something other than H414.

Appreciate you taking the time to put together a detailed report with lots of pictures!
@Edge
Here's the first four shots out of that rifle with that load since the hunt. Not perfect, but I hadn't been behind that rifle since then. And the group in January was a lot worse. So, I'd say H414 and Barnes TTSX are a temperature sensitive combo. Live and learn.

20210708_103547.jpg

Recent measurement of my black wildebeest confirms what I thought, it made Rowland Ward by two inches. Minimum is 23.

Screenshot_20211104-071021_Hancom%20Office%20Editor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross