BJV Germany
Hunted
Tanzania, SA, Namibia
watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl,

Congratulations !!! Fantastic trophies you bow hunted....

Monish

Wow wonderful what a hunt! Congrats to you and your patience. You desserve all of those animals...

Congratulations.

Congrats on the trophies. Thanks for posting the pics.

nd

Hello Karl-Heinz

Congratulations and "Waidmannsheil" for the buff and the other fine animals you harvested with bow and arrow.

Frank

good hunting sir!

Congratulations Karl! What area did you bowhunt in Zimbabwe?

Congratulations Karl,
Those are some amazing trophies you took with the bow. Very Well done!

Kind Regards
Marius Goosen

Karl-Heinz,
What some awesome pictures/trophies - all by a bow! Must have been really good tracking.
Give us a hint of you did it. Otherwise, great, well done.
Popo.

Karl, job very well done. Please write a hunting report on your trip when you get a chance. I would love to read it.

Ok, I give You a little report, but beware of my terrible English.

Arrival:
The airport is a corrugated iron hall. The bows I have to unpack. Hillary, the mother of the Junior and wife of the Senior picks me up. It's four hours through desolate light bush on the main road that leads to SA. Then mountains visible in the distance. .We turn into a Sandpat and are after a further hour in the 23. 000 acres hunting ground. All around stand up rock faces which look like small part Eyersrock. The camp is situated on a plateau halfway up one of these massifs. The Land Cruiser has to exert quite as to come up with. The camp is built in the African country-style and the lodges equipped with a waterfall shower each.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Darel and Jonathan, father and son, both PH welcomed me and Don, the guest of North Dakota brings me the rib of a buffalo.He has caught him at 40 yards too far back. He still had the chance to get rid of two more arrows with the result that the buffalo try to took him and Jonathan stopped him with the .458. He goes down in a distance of 8 ft..

watermark.php

First hunting day:
At dawn, I shoot a couple of arrows to the Rhino Block what i I've brought along. Neither can I keep the bow quietly resolved the release cleanly. The first arrow shattered the boulder. The team looks on. Is it the single malt I've brought or smoking my morning pipe ?

watermark.php

Our Tracker Tino looks sitting on the hood, for fresh buffalo tracks.

watermark.php

Then we are on the trail of a small herd. The excretions are fresh but not warm. After two hours cornflakeswalk the herd is behind us. They have noticed us. We break ab.On a path is suddenly a Buff to 70 m. As if he knew what we are hunt with a bow.

watermark.php

After another two hours we are on the belly in front of a herd which draws on an open area directly towards us. I crawl down under a willow bush. Sitting on the heels, I can draw the bow and I have two windows for shooting. The herd is approaching. Only 40 m.

watermark.php

An inquisitive cow coming directly toward me. My situation is very uncomfortable. When she stands before me 5 m snorts short and the whole herd is staring at me. Totally relaxed to rotate it and pull back into the bush.We go home.

watermark.php

2nd and 3rd hunting day
Nothing spectacular.A lot of Pepper Ticks bother me.

watermark.php

We are always close to the buffalo. With the gun I had every day a good chance, but 50 meters is too far for the bow

rd. Hunting day
Slowly I have enough of walk and stalk. If it works today, I will sit tomorrow in one of the many water holes. At 17:00 we break off and walk towards the car. At 18:00 they turned off the light. It is around 17:30 and dusk falls. We just want to leave the bush to a clearing as Tinos, the tracker goes down. About 25 buffalo grazing not 50 m fully acquainted ourselves. The wind suits. A really old Buff is not there. I don't care. I am not a trophy collector and I leave my Trophies here. Physique in a very strong frontal Buff draws me on. Even 40 m - 35 m - 30 m. Then he turns and stand at an angle away from me. The light is critical. Already as it rotates, I draw the bow. He takes a few Steps forward. Fairs I can not. I let fly. I don't know where I have aimed and if I had centered my peep. Determined I have pushed the trigger hard. The impact of the arrow I could only see because the fletches are neo orange.....and this impact was bulls... Too far back, and worse still too high. I take the .458 Win and try to give him a kill shot. But the buffalo is now in the middle of the herd. It's all a dark mass. Darrel calms me and say, this was a good shot. I don't believe it. PH always say „ good shot“.
I see nowhere something orange. After 50 m, the herd remain undecided. Tinos whispers Your Buff is down. I don't believe it.. Then Darrel also confirms. "You get him. I kneel down and see orange between the legs of the herd. I still have the .458 and we approach cautiously the herd. As soon as he comes up I'll give him the rest. The herd sees us coming and staring at us accusingly. My buffalo is still on the ground. A shot is not possible. The other buffalo are all around him. If you experience this you feel sad. We leave the herd and come 1 hour later returned with the car. Still watches over the herd her dead member. We need to sell them.

watermark.php

watermark.php

My shot was not good but also not really bad.. The direction diagonally across the body voted. The arrow has two overlapping rib on one side and a solid rib on the other penetrated.The Silverflame remained intact.

watermark.php

For those interested my set up:

BT Destroyer 350 70# really IBO: 350 fps (some more as the most older bows with 80 to 90 #)

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl- Heinz,
What an interesting insight into your hunting expedition. Very nice pictures indeed.
Once again congratulations.
Popo

very fun hunting safari! :)

Thank you Karl. I enjoyed the report and photos greatly. Your English is just fine.

Fantastic stuff! Well done sir.

An experience that you will never forget. Congratulations!

- browningbbr

congrats very nice

What a great hunting experience! Thanks for the pictures and hunting report! Beautiful lodge!

As I told you, CONGRATULATIONS... Don't be to hard with yourself, your shot was perfect if not the buffalo will not die. Far back as your shot, is a perfect shot as the one I shot in Mozambik, the first shot was high and too far back but this arrow cut the liver and the lungs and was fatal...

You deserve this animal and you can be proud of it, your patience and your training make the difference and the bow was enough strong with this equipment as we can see...

Big congratulation for you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg