SOUTH AFRICA: BOWHUNT: Anyone Hunt with Madiakgama Safaris

pappy62

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm looking to bowhunt for plains game with Madiakgama Safaris in 2012. Anyone here hunted with them?
This will be my first african hunt so I want to make sure I have the right outfitter.

Pappy
Just for interests sake. How did you narrow it down to Madiakgama?
Another forum referral?

You a dedicated Bow Hunter?

What are you after on your hunt?

I talked to several outfitters at last years eastern sports show and liked them the best overall. I had planned to go last year but it didn't work out.

I prefer bow hunting but also rifle hunt. I figured bow hunting would also make things easier going through airports etc.

I'm looking for kudu, gemsbuck, impala and warthog. My daughter is looking for zebra, impala, blue wildebeast and warthog.
My wife will also be going along.

Cant give a referal but I beleive Gary Bogner filmed his Zimbabwe bowhunting video there and took many great animals. Of course that was many years ago but if you are considering going it would be a good watch.

I have hunted with Madiakgama. This is a strange outfit. The hunting wasn't bad but you need to know about trophy size. I shot several animals of good trophy size, but I knew what I was looking for and it wasn't my first trip to Africa. I simply refused to shoot immature animals.

There was a first timer there and they had him shoot a young waterbuck bull and a young kudu (36"). He didn't even know what he was shooting and they really took advantage of him.

I shot a big eland bull early in the morning and we went back to the lodge to get help to load him. Brunch was ready when we got back so we ate even though it was getting warm. We went and loaded the bull and came back to the skinning shed and dropped him off. I think it was around 11:00 AM. We then went back out hunting. When we came in that evening, the eland was still hanging and had not been skinned. I raised some hell and they finally got the cape off.

The food was decent and the rooms were clean and I liked hunting with the son, Jaques (sp). Linda, the mom, can use the F word at least four times per sentance and is the cook and sometimes PH (although I don't think she or the daughter Janaline are actually licensed) and is a little bit crazy. Jimmy is the dad and PH, but I only saw him at meal time.

I could have probably overlooked most of this but when I received my capes they were all ruined. They all promised help, including their booking agent, Jeff Frey, but all I ever got from them is lip service. Soon they wouldn't take my calls or return my emails so I wrote them off as someone I would never do business with again.

I know other people who had a great time with them and no problems at all. I do know two other people that hunted with them that ended up with bad capes as well. I wouldn't recommend them especially to a first timer. I also know for a fact they pulled a fast one on a guy with a pen raised lion. He thought he was shooting a wild lion and the Taljaards and Frikie du Toit (sp) convinced him that the lion had come in after their plains game.

If you want more info you can PM me but you really might continue your search for a good outfit. Life is too short to waste your time and money on a second class hunt. I have hunted Africa six times and this is the only outfit that I have hunted with that I would not recommend.

Pappy 62,
With the information jaustin gave you I would run away and look for another outfitter. I'm not a bowhunter and don't have anyone to recommend for you but know there are a lot of good outfitters that will do you right.
As far as traveling through airports with a rifle it's not really that bad and you can do it on your own.

Wow I'm glad I found this place. Thanks for the heads up jaustin.
I guess I'll be looking for another outfitter.

Pappy62,

Get in touch with Willem from Koedoeberg.
He runs a first class outfit and I think he's got some very well priced packages at the moment.
All the best..

Thanks jaustin, that is some critical information!

I would like to recommend CapeHunters suggestion too. And I'll throw in take a look at Spiral Horn Safaris and Leeukop Safari. They bow hunt!

Seems to be a very good idea to stay away from Madiakgama Safaris:)

If you want to hunt in SA, it is no problems at all to bring a gun. I have no experience from other African countries, so I can't say anything about that.
But I am sure other members can tell you how it is.

If you want to hunt with a bow only, you normally need more days than with a rifle.
The best is also to hunt in a place that offers areas with bow hunting only.
If you mainly want to hunt from blinds, make sure they have plenty of blinds in their area/s.

I am going on a 12 days hunt in SA this year myself.
Where the first 7 days will be spot and stalk with a bow only. Then I will see what I will do for the last 5 days:)

Hallo Pappy62
I did send you a pm regarding your planned hunt just want to make sure you got it.
Johan

I'm planning on hunting 10 days. I figure to hunt from blinds first and then maybe try for 1 or 2 animals spot and stalk.

I'm sure that it's not really difficult to bring a gun but I really want to hunt with a bow and if nothing else it will be less paperwork.

I'm planning on hunting 10 days. I figure to hunt from blinds first and then maybe try for 1 or 2 animals spot and stalk.

I'm sure that it's not really difficult to bring a gun but I really want to hunt with a bow and if nothing else it will be less paperwork.

I agree. Much less paperwork and you can always rent a rifle at most outfitters.

Pappy62,

Welcome to the forum, we also have very good bow hunting facilities and if you would like to see some pictures of trophies and blinds please visit our website at News - South Africa Hunting Safaris. I will be more than happy to help with any questions you may have.

Best regards,

Jacques

Hi Jaustin.
This is Jeff Frey, outfitter of Madiakgama Safaris. This is my number: 717 580 5139. We never give our clients "lip service". We have been in this business to long. Call me or ever better, come and see me on Harrisburg show. Anyone that want to contact me about Madiakgama Safari, please do.
All the best

Jeff Frey

madiakamma ? do you have pictures of that place

I have hunted with Madiakgama. This is a strange outfit. The hunting wasn't bad but you need to know about trophy size. I shot several animals of good trophy size, but I knew what I was looking for and it wasn't my first trip to Africa. I simply refused to shoot immature animals.

There was a first timer there and they had him shoot a young waterbuck bull and a young kudu (36"). He didn't even know what he was shooting and they really took advantage of him.

I shot a big eland bull early in the morning and we went back to the lodge to get help to load him. Brunch was ready when we got back so we ate even though it was getting warm. We went and loaded the bull and came back to the skinning shed and dropped him off. I think it was around 11:00 AM. We then went back out hunting. When we came in that evening, the eland was still hanging and had not been skinned. I raised some hell and they finally got the cape off.

The food was decent and the rooms were clean and I liked hunting with the son, Jaques (sp). Linda, the mom, can use the F word at least four times per sentance and is the cook and sometimes PH (although I don't think she or the daughter Janaline are actually licensed) and is a little bit crazy. Jimmy is the dad and PH, but I only saw him at meal time.

I could have probably overlooked most of this but when I received my capes they were all ruined. They all promised help, including their booking agent, Jeff Frey, but all I ever got from them is lip service. Soon they wouldn't take my calls or return my emails so I wrote them off as someone I would never do business with again.

I know other people who had a great time with them and no problems at all. I do know two other people that hunted with them that ended up with bad capes as well. I wouldn't recommend them especially to a first timer. I also know for a fact they pulled a fast one on a guy with a pen raised lion. He thought he was shooting a wild lion and the Taljaards and Frikie du Toit (sp) convinced him that the lion had come in after their plains game.

If you want more info you can PM me but you really might continue your search for a good outfit. Life is too short to waste your time and money on a second class hunt. I have hunted Africa six times and this is the only outfit that I have hunted with that I would not recommend.

wow do you have pictures of your eland ? pictures of where you stayed there we just gave them a deposit ...would like to see what pictures you have of the place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg