SOUTH AFRICA: Bos en Dal SAFARIS April 12-24, 2023

I hope Robbie is ready for the taxidermy bill! He’s really using up the salt!

4/18
Busy day today.
Gerrit will be gone a few days take care of some business. PH Frikkie will be with me. We mostly rode looking see what we could find that is on Robbie's list and any culls I might could take.
Robbie and Rikus off to another property for Gemsbok and SpringBuck.
They were successful on both!
133cecc8-7497-4263-84c4-11acabded5b0.jpg

621a851f-8a10-4095-a151-fff341f44912.jpg

That is an impressive pig, and your buddy is having a great first safari. Always nice to share an experience with a friend.

After lunch Frikkie and I headed out and did some Impala culling getting 2 females for meat. Both head shots with 6.5.
Have pics but not posting, don't want to offend anyone

Robbie and Rikus off to look for another Kudu. Robbie hit a good bull and was not found this afternoon.
Plan was made for all of us go back in morning with trackers and dog.

4/19
Up and gone by 6:30
We all gathered at area where Kudu was shot. No Blood was ever found and dog did not hit on anything. We spread out and walked grid pattern till noon. No luck.
Went into town for lunch.
Frikkie and I back to main farm, Robbie and Rikus back to area Kudu was shot.
Made a few stalks on some Impala but nothing came together.

4/20
Frikkie and I left out about 7am.
First up was a Jackel we came across.
6.5 at 240 yards did wonders to him
b336a520-11d9-4cc8-a7b2-a3d8f2f53ade.jpg

Up next was another Impala female
6.5 with head shot again!
After all that was dropped at skinning shed we were making way back to lodge and came across a Big Blue Wildebeest. One I could not resist. Plan was made for stalk and I swapped out rifles for CZ 375 HH
Short stalk with a 65 yard quartering frontal. Big Blue headed to salt!
cdc9314d-9636-4d7d-96e6-54d8d444a793.jpg

28 3/4 wide with heavy bosses

4/21
Up and gone by 7am
Me and Frikkie rode, walked and stalked some but nothing came about them. About 10:30am we put stalk on some Impala females. I knew it was a long shot and doped Leupold CDS for 250 yards. Didn't have rangefinder at the time with us. Well shot was a hit. But looked low. She took off and before could get a second off she was pushed out of field into thick brush by a Pincher Impala male. We have her some time before started track. Blood played out and we looked till 1:00. Lodge ate bite and went back looking. At around 3pm we called it. No more blood and not located her.
Robbie also had missed a big Impala twice.
We went range just to verify if guns or shooters. It was shooters, not guns.

Frikkie and I out most of afternoon. Just before dark came across a really good Impala. Made stalk and 6.5 did its job.
We were dragging out and that's when it all went to Hell!
There was some kind of dust,pollen or something I got into I was allergic too!
Before we could set up for pics I started coughing and gasping for air. Frikkie and John loaded Impala and Frikkie rushed me to lodge. I took a quick hot shower to wash off. Didn't help. I was getting worse. Gerrit was back in camp and was decided I needed medical help. He loaded me in Cruiser and off for Rustenburg. I was in and out of consciousness during the trip.
Gerrit phoned ahead for Ambulance Service to meet on the road somewhere.
Normally a 50 min drive was done in under 30 min. When met ambulance and was transferred to it they started oxygen. My oxygen level was down to 61. They started a nebulizer treatment and within minutes I was breathing better. At hospital was given a second treatment along with cortisone and Adrenalin injections. After about 2 hours I was breathing on my own and oxygen level staying in 96-97 range.
Guys this scared hell out of me!
When you can't breath and feel like you are dying from suffocating it's scary.
I want to thank Gerrit again for quick thinking and the ambulance people and nurses at hospital.
Nurse said I was not the first American from USA that has had this happen. She said happens more often than you would think.
I was released and we made our way back to lodge about 11:00 pm. The cook had us a hamburger meal prepared, ate and went to bed.

Here is only pic I got of Impala
IMG_5473.jpg

Wow, glad you are ok Mark. Any idea what it was?

Wow, glad you are ok Mark. Any idea what it was?

They really don't know. Could have been dust that was stirred up bringing Impala out or a plant pollen. It was dusty and very green brush. They had had lots of rain and things where very green.
Nurse said most likely tho the fine red dirt that is there. But don't really know for certain.

They really don't know. Could have been dust that was stirred up bringing Impala out or a plant pollen. It was dusty and very green brush. They had had lots of rain and things where very green.
Nurse said most likely tho the fine red dirt that is there. But don't really know for certain.

That’s crazy! Do you have some OTC Benadryl in case of a reoccurrence?

Sounds like a great hunt!! Thank you for sharing!! Glad you are okay, you never know what's gonna happen. Hopefully it never happens again!

Mark, glad you are ok. Certainly a scary situation to be in. It's nice to be close to quality medical care when the unexpected happens.

You have some nice animals, bushbuck is a great old ram. Warthog is in the 99 percentile. Most hunters will never see, much less get one like him. Congratulations!

4/22
Slept in this morning after last nights episode. Taking it easy this morning. We all headed to Sunflower fields this afternoon for some wing shooting.

WOW! Is all I can say about the field Gerrit had lined up for us to hunt over.
Robbie and Me shot 500 rounds in 2.5 hours. Shot to bird ratio was not great for sure. But we had a blast and fed some locals on the farm that wanted the birds.
We kept 12 to prepare for PHs who said they never keep them. Well you know Texas boys know how to fix doves. That will be in a few nights later.
219ea6db-d068-40e8-a89f-7e7cdc04e9af.jpg

looks like you guys had a pretty wonderful hunt Mark! hate to hear about the medical issue.. but super happy it got resolved quickly and easily enough.. LOVE that warthog.. I am green with envy over that big boy..

I had been taking Benadryl daily as my sinus was acting up. I will be taking an inhaler or portable nebulizer from now on. For just incase.

Thanks for that heads up! My little guy has allergies and I had not put as much thought into this as I should have. Good food for thought!

4/23
Up gone by 7am
Me and Gerrit checking Bushpig baits and cameras. Just mainly riding and looking as I am done on my hunting this trip unless come across something unusual.
Robbie still chasing a big Impala he and Rikus had located.
In for lunch and rest till about 3:00 pm. Hot today and we are getting wore down.

Gerrit and me went and set a trap for a Caracal that showed up at one of the bait sites.
Robbie connected finally on the Impala.
What a great animal

a9f98920-bc38-4e75-a6ab-c05dbcb89bf3.jpg
7d283f43-8f15-4c0c-89ef-5a03916f1854.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like you guys had a pretty wonderful hunt Mark! hate to hear about the medical issue.. but super happy it got resolved quickly and easily enough.. LOVE that warthog.. I am green with envy over that big boy..

Thanks Dave.
I am over excited about the warthog.
Glad we were close enough to medical facilities and Gerrit knew exactly who to call and where to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross