SOUTH AFRICA: Bos En Dal My First Safari & A Great PH Outfitter Experience

bls72bmw

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Growing up in the Midwest, I've been White-Tail and Pheasant hunting plenty of times. But as a kid I had always loved reading the adventures of the true African Gents- Capstick, Hemingway, Roosevelt, the list goes on. However, I always realized these guys were pros (and wealthy) and real African Hunting was never going to be for me.
Well, fast forward 30 years and one day while reading "Field and Stream" the article was titled: African Plains Game Safari- Less Cost Than You Think!". From that point it was my new desire that I could realistically achieve!
Did a lot of searching on the forums and came across a small outfit in RSA, where the gentleman who owns the land, is the outfitter and is the PH all himself- Gerrit Jv Vuuren. I read a couple reviews on Africa Hunting about two folks that had hunted with him, but there was not a lot of info. out there. After contacting the two gents who had hunted with Gerrit, and Gerrit himself, I was sold. Bos En Dal is new in marketing to overseas hunters- he doesn't go to conventions or shows just yet, but is slowly (smartly) growing the business. Long story short, I booked my hunt and then had an anxious wait!
Fast-forward to last week-I land at JoBurg and as I walk out of customs there is a big tall guy with huge grin and a Bos En Dal sign! One thing I liked in the interim is that as a new comer I know I pestered Gerrit with endless questions (reading one too many Boddington books will do that...and he answered all my questions in a timely manner and was very in depth in his answers. Now that I've actually been on Safari, I look back now and think some of my questions were just plain odd!)
I only booked a 5 day hunt and added an extra day on to allow me time to adjust. But one thing that my PH did was always allow me to hunt- we started off on the first day just taking a stroll, walk and stalk, just to stretch my legs really is what I was thinking. Well, just as I get going we step right into a herd of impala about 200 yards off, Gerrit says "I see two nice large males in there, let's see if we can get in closer"...... wind just shifted, they turned a bit, we stalked around to the side, and just as we go to approach from a different angle as we turn our heads the other way- TWO Wildebeest! And at this point I think to myself "WOW! I'm really doing it!!!!!"....we take a quick look and the Wildebeest are young- but how neat it is to have the different game all around. So as we try to out maneuver our impala the wind shifts and they sprint off. Just as I think we're done for the night, as it is getting late, our tracker turns and silently indicates, with a whispy outstretched hand- 2 nice warthogs about 50 meters off to our left on the back side of a tiny creek bed. STICKS UP! My rifle rests up in the sticks and we both watch as they disappear as they see us too. As my disappointment mounts, one more, a big old fellow, runs into the picture and turns to faces- almost as a challenge. Gerrit leans over and whispers in my ear, with his Africaans-laden English, "that's a nice one, take him if you have the shot". Don't need to tell me twice, safety off- Boom! First trophy of my trip!
11 1/2" Warthog, Gold Medal on the PHASA scale!
I can't say that every day was as dramatic as that- but I can say that every trophy I took WAS as dramatic as that! I don't know what they're "putting in the water" over there, but my Impala was 25" and my Blue Wildebeest was 27.5"- both PHASA Gold Medal Scores-
Not being a great writer, I wish I had a better way with words to describe the days we spent together. I really enjoyed my time with my PH, getting to meet his beautiful family and friends, and the time we spent together. We all know these guys have a job to do, and that job is to make the client happy. But my impression were that Gerrit was a true hunter- this was not his job just to pay the bills, but he really enjoyed himself being out in the bush and having fun. I caught him smiling to himself a lot- you could tell he enjoyed his work and was putting his heart into it.
Other impressions of the hunt were very positive. We spent a day pigeon/dove shooting as well as the traditional "guniea fowl off the bakke" shoot. Lots of fun not to be missed. In fact the pigeon shooting is something I had never done before and was one of the highlights of the trip. I never got the feeling I was in a corporate "churn and burn" operation. There was no pressure to take extra game (I opted with his 5 day starter package that is priced quite reasonable and was within my budget). The food every night was amazing- the guest house was nice and clean, ample beverages and a tradition Braai every night, and really just a ton of all around fun.
There were lots of little extras in this package that when added up made a big difference to me. Transfer to/from JoBurg was included, we stopped for lunch a couple days at nice restaurants, I was taken to the Taxidermist and shown the entire operation on the taxidermists day off, billtong all around- etc. I know these things are all part of the operation, but what I'm trying to say is I never felt that my outfitter was trying to pinch a penny or two here or there. Even though I came on a small beginner package I was never treated as a small client. I think that is something that you get with a family type operation as this. All heart- and when the business does well they do well- they realize that and just have a good time with their work. My PH supervised each trophy taken, the skinning and the salting. The Zebra was to be made into a rug that we discussed beforehand so he personally supervised the skinning and caping to ensure I was happy with exactly what I wanted- nice touches that made me smile. Another nice touch; now that I'm home he is following up with me on each item we discussed- my PHASA medals, importation paperwork completion, and is monitoring the email chain between myself and the taxidermist to ensure everything is done properly. It's the little things that really make a difference. As a first timer it takes my mind off being pre-occupied with how the trophies are being handled and finalized.
I've never been on an African hunting trip before- but I definitely will again. The cost of hunting trophies in Africa v. the US is very telling. An African Safari is definitely a do-able trip for most folks.
Anyone with questions about the operation or thinking about this firm please feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number if you'd like to chat. I would (and already have) recommend Bos En Dal to my friends looking for a great experience in an African hunt.

Impala14wGVJ.jpg

Sticks1.jpg

Wildebeest15.jpg

Zebra6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bls72bmw,

Great trophies taken. I can see the smile on your face.

One trip is not enough to Africa.

Thanks for the report.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

Looks like you had a fun 5 days.Some great trophys taken with a good company cant bet that.just think when you get back and your hunt is longer all the fun you will have.great report.

bls72bmw
nice write up .
sounds like your very happy with your choice on the outfitter , and the animals you were fortunate to take are fantastic
thanks for sharing your memories with us
so when are you heading back over to gods country???

Really cool experience.... thanks much for taking the time to share your trip!

Looks like you had a great first safari. Nice looking animals. Bet you'll go back. Bruce

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

It's always nice to read a report from someone who is genuinely sharing an appreciation of their experience.
Those small details do matter and it shows.

Congratulations.

Great report and photos. Having that first safari go well is a huge factor in the decision whether to return to Africa.... and it certainly looks like you will be back!

Thanks for the detailed report. I am glad you had an amazing experience.

Congrats for the good time and very nice trophies, and thanks for sharing !

You're wrong about your writing. Good writing describes a seen and how the author feels and that is exactly what you did very well. Your excitement was obvious.

Thanks for the great reprt!

Thank you for posting your hunt report and sharing your trophies and journey in Africa with us!

Good hunt report. The excitement comes across in the way you write. Great trophies too!........Your hooked now, it won't be your last trip!

Growing up in the Midwest, I've been White-Tail and Pheasant hunting plenty of times. But as a kid I had always loved reading the adventures of the true African Gents- Capstick, Hemingway, Roosevelt, the list goes on. However, I always realized these guys were pros (and wealthy) and real African Hunting was never going to be for me.
Well, fast forward 30 years and one day while reading "Field and Stream" the article was titled: African Plains Game Safari- Less Cost Than You Think!". From that point it was my new desire that I could realistically achieve!
Did a lot of searching on the forums and came across a small outfit in RSA, where the gentleman who owns the land, is the outfitter and is the PH all himself- Gerrit Jv Vuuren. I read a couple reviews on Africa Hunting about two folks that had hunted with him, but there was not a lot of info. out there. After contacting the two gents who had hunted with Gerrit, and Gerrit himself, I was sold. Bos En Dal is new in marketing to overseas hunters- he doesn't go to conventions or shows just yet, but is slowly (smartly) growing the business. Long story short, I booked my hunt and then had an anxious wait!
Fast-forward to last week-I land at JoBurg and as I walk out of customs there is a big tall guy with huge grin and a Bos En Dal sign! One thing I liked in the interim is that as a new comer I know I pestered Gerrit with endless questions (reading one too many Boddington books will do that...and he answered all my questions in a timely manner and was very in depth in his answers. Now that I've actually been on Safari, I look back now and think some of my questions were just plain odd!)
I only booked a 5 day hunt and added an extra day on to allow me time to adjust. But one thing that my PH did was always allow me to hunt- we started off on the first day just taking a stroll, walk and stalk, just to stretch my legs really is what I was thinking. Well, just as I get going we step right into a herd of impala about 200 yards off, Gerrit says "I see two nice large males in there, let's see if we can get in closer"...... wind just shifted, they turned a bit, we stalked around to the side, and just as we go to approach from a different angle as we turn our heads the other way- TWO Wildebeest! And at this point I think to myself "WOW! I'm really doing it!!!!!"....we take a quick look and the Wildebeest are young- but how neat it is to have the different game all around. So as we try to out maneuver our impala the wind shifts and they sprint off. Just as I think we're done for the night, as it is getting late, our tracker turns and silently indicates, with a whispy outstretched hand- 2 nice warthogs about 50 meters off to our left on the back side of a tiny creek bed. STICKS UP! My rifle rests up in the sticks and we both watch as they disappear as they see us too. As my disappointment mounts, one more, a big old fellow, runs into the picture and turns to faces- almost as a challenge. Gerrit leans over and whispers in my ear, with his Africaans-laden English, "that's a nice one, take him if you have the shot". Don't need to tell me twice, safety off- Boom! First trophy of my trip!
11 1/2" Warthog, Gold Medal on the PHASA scale!
I can't say that every day was as dramatic as that- but I can say that every trophy I took WAS as dramatic as that! I don't know what they're "putting in the water" over there, but my Impala was 25" and my Blue Wildebeest was 27.5"- both PHASA Gold Medal Scores-
Not being a great writer, I wish I had a better way with words to describe the days we spent together. I really enjoyed my time with my PH, getting to meet his beautiful family and friends, and the time we spent together. We all know these guys have a job to do, and that job is to make the client happy. But my impression were that Gerrit was a true hunter- this was not his job just to pay the bills, but he really enjoyed himself being out in the bush and having fun. I caught him smiling to himself a lot- you could tell he enjoyed his work and was putting his heart into it.
Other impressions of the hunt were very positive. We spent a day pigeon/dove shooting as well as the traditional "guniea fowl off the bakke" shoot. Lots of fun not to be missed. In fact the pigeon shooting is something I had never done before and was one of the highlights of the trip. I never got the feeling I was in a corporate "churn and burn" operation. There was no pressure to take extra game (I opted with his 5 day starter package that is priced quite reasonable and was within my budget). The food every night was amazing- the guest house was nice and clean, ample beverages and a tradition Braai every night, and really just a ton of all around fun.
There were lots of little extras in this package that when added up made a big difference to me. Transfer to/from JoBurg was included, we stopped for lunch a couple days at nice restaurants, I was taken to the Taxidermist and shown the entire operation on the taxidermists day off, billtong all around- etc. I know these things are all part of the operation, but what I'm trying to say is I never felt that my outfitter was trying to pinch a penny or two here or there. Even though I came on a small beginner package I was never treated as a small client. I think that is something that you get with a family type operation as this. All heart- and when the business does well they do well- they realize that and just have a good time with their work. My PH supervised each trophy taken, the skinning and the salting. The Zebra was to be made into a rug that we discussed beforehand so he personally supervised the skinning and caping to ensure I was happy with exactly what I wanted- nice touches that made me smile. Another nice touch; now that I'm home he is following up with me on each item we discussed- my PHASA medals, importation paperwork completion, and is monitoring the email chain between myself and the taxidermist to ensure everything is done properly. It's the little things that really make a difference. As a first timer it takes my mind off being pre-occupied with how the trophies are being handled and finalized.
I've never been on an African hunting trip before- but I definitely will again. The cost of hunting trophies in Africa v. the US is very telling. An African Safari is definitely a do-able trip for most folks.
Anyone with questions about the operation or thinking about this firm please feel free to PM me and I'll give you my number if you'd like to chat. I would (and already have) recommend Bos En Dal to my friends looking for a great experience in an African hunt.

View attachment 26236

View attachment 26237

View attachment 26238

View attachment 26239

Thanks for the kind words my friend. We did had a blast!!! See you again in maybe a year or two.

Best Regards

Congratulations on your first African hunt. You have some nice trophies. Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

As you mentioned. Gerrit is a great guy.

Yes, it made it home.

Customs didn't like your dirt. They washed my boots. There is something satisfying in watching a government employee wash your boots. I just wish I had stepped in more manure.

All the best.

Awesome hunt and great report and trophies thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the great hunting report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber