SOUTH AFRICA: Beware Motshwere Safaris & Outfitters

Bow hunter

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Beware of Werner Lewis he will lie to and say anything just to get your money, I have pictures and emails to prove everything. Don't get suckered into his game there are far better options out there. I would be happy to talk to anyone with question by phone or email. See below

I confirm the list mention is correct as well as the rest of your email. Werner

Sent from my iPhone

On 27 Dec 2013, at 9:34 PM, "Richard (Rusty) Courville" <xxxxxxxxxx@aol.com> wrote:

Werner,

I would like a complete list of animals that I will be hunting for the agreed price of $5,000.00 to include all the dip and pack and shipping from South Africa to the USA. This also includes pick up and drop off at the JNB airport for Kim and myself at no additional or hidden costs. Please let me know by responding to this email if you agree to this list.

1. SABLE
2. KUDU
3. NYALA
4. ELAND
5. GEMSBOK
6. IMPALA
7. BLUE WILDEBEEST
8. WATER BUCK
9. ZEBRA
10. REDHEARTEBEAST

-----Original Message-----
To: Richard (Rusty) Courville <xxxxxxxxxx@aol.com>
Sent: Fri, Dec 27, 2013 12:07 pm
Subject: Re: nimals

Russ.

$5000.00 it includes your waterbuck, redhartbeest and zebra, 21 days all inclusive for you and Kim. No hidden cost. Also include is the animals you must hunt again paid by Sandy. She will also do your dip and pack for free. Excluded is your fright cost to the USA. I shall phone you tomorrow for your credit card details

Thanks
Werner

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Bow hunter,

Sorry you had a bad time but this is an "I told you so" moment. These are unrealistic, below market, prices. $238/daily fee for 2 people, three top trophy animals free, dip and pack free, what am I missing? Was this a donation hunt or something?
Again so sorry you had a bad safari.

Regards,
Philip

Philip, what am I missing here? These emails are more than 3 years old. AND, I don't believe you could do a 21 hunt for $5000 twenty five years ago, let alone now.

Bow hunter,

Sorry you had a bad time but this is an "I told you so" moment. These are unrealistic, below market, prices. $238/daily fee for 2 people, three top trophy animals free, dip and pack free, what am I missing? Was this a donation hunt or something?
Again so sorry you had a bad safari.

Regards,
Philip

Philip,

No we had paid over 20,000 for our original hunt with Motshwere and had a great time, things went south when we received our trophies 8 months later. They were a total mess from burnt off horns to missing horn to some kind of worm that burrowed holes into our trophies. Please read the email that I copied to the post.

See pictures below

Wildebeest.jpg
Sabel.jpg

So you went on two hunts with them?

Yes, when we sent Werner the picture after our first hunt he responded with the email that I posted. if you read the hole email you will see that we were told the 5,ooo were for the cost of the 3 other animals the were to hunt we ended up paying almost 13,000 not 5,000 for the 2nd trip that he states 5,000 no hidden fees.

Did this outfitter do the dip and pack of did another company? If your trophies were taken to a taxidermist for do and pack, that should have been mentioned.

Also, as with all negative posts, there are too many holes in your post. Need the complete story and a response from the outfitter.

Did this outfitter do the dip and pack of did another company? If your trophies were taken to a taxidermist for do and pack, that should have been mentioned.

Also, as with all negative posts, there are too many holes in your post. Need the complete story and a response from the outfitter.

The emails are from the Outfitter to me the only holes in the story are the ones in my animals look at the pictures and no the dip and pack was done by a company that he recommended. Here is another email that he sent us.

Hi Russ

Thank you for the photos. I confirm that you can come and hunt in March/ April 2015.

I also confirm that all the animals on the photos you can come and hunt again. Sandy will be responsible for the trophy fees on those animals. You will pay no daily fees but will be responsible for your airline ticket. Russ consider a buffalo hunt for 2015, I can still do it for $9500, with a 50% deposit. I can still get a tag for 2015 for the price if we pay the tag before 31 December 2013.

Please confirm if the above solution is in order with you.

Merry Christmas to you and Kim!

Regards
Werner

Sent from my iPhone

impala.jpg

Bow Hunter, you have been in on this concern from the beginning. We are missing a whole bunch of details here and you need to fill in the story.

The first email you posted for us is nonsensical to me.

Please post a synopsis of the situation and help us out.

............. we ended up paying almost 13,000 not 5,000 for the 2nd trip that he states 5,000 no hidden fees.

Can I ask why did you pay the $13,000 and not the $5,000 you had agreed to?

Since my last comment was deleted, I will say this....... Werner is a standup guy and treated my wife and I like royalty. This is more a taxidermy or Dip and pack problem. Furthermore, if you agreed on $5,000.00 why in the world did you pay more? It just doesn't make sense to me. Surely you added more animals, did some sightseeing at Kruger, drank several bottles of Dom Perignon, something? Out of hundreds of hunters posted on his Facebook he would be out of business if this was true and common practice. He is in Utah at the show this week, go and see if you can resolve it. I'm sure he will ONCE AGAIN make it right with you. (Providing you are being truthful)

...... (Providing you are being truthful)

It appears the OP requested a quote for D&P and received an agreement for same, if the email is correct.
Therefore, the D&P is the Outfitters issue.

Moth Larvae do not occur in properly processed trophies. They can not live through a proper disinfection process.

I'm not sure if the timing of this post has to do with the appearance of the Outfitter at a Utah show or not. Perhaps it does.

Steve Roberts, perhaps you can ask Werner to jump in and provide his side of the story, since you apparently know him well.

One way or the other, when questions are asked and not answered here it tends to reduce credibility exponentially. :)

Last edited:
Some people are better with tech than others, but...... Ya!

The OP thought he had given us a cogent, thoughtfully documented chronology of all events leading to him being maligned and cheated.

What we all heard was this:

Yeah. I can't make sense of what's been written or shared in this post.

What was the cost of the first hunt?
What went wrong?
Why was there a second hunt?
Tell me more about this outfitter offering $20,000 in troptics for $5k with no day fees and dip/pack included. Fascinating stuff.

The OP thought he had given us a cogent, thoughtfully documented chronology of all events leading to him being maligned and cheated.

What we all heard was this:

What I can't figure out is who does that remind me of.... :E Hmmm:

:A Bulb:

@spike.t

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg