SOUTH AFRICA: Beware Motshwere Safaris & Outfitters

I wanted to let you know that our safari with Motshwere went extremely well! It was so fun that we want to go back again. The first few days in South Africa, Motshwere planned a tour with a private Motshwere tour bus. We stayed in very nice Pretoria hotel, then traveled to visit Sudwala Caves on our way to Hazyview. We toured Kruger National Park and saw a wide variety of animals, went zip lining, visited an elephant refuge, and visited HBSC a habitat for cheetahs! After this we visited Graskop and a viewpoint named "God's Window." This wide variety of activities was entertaining, exciting, and very well planned. The Motshwere tour guides were extremely likeable and entertaining.

When we arrived at the Motshwere camp I was very impressed with the layout. There is a large circular area around a large firepit to gather and share stories about the hunts. The individual buildings were modern with authentic thatched roofs, which felt very South African and modern. The large dining room, large suites, and layout was impressive.

The hunting was excellent. Our first day I was lucky enough to take a 52" Kudu bull that approached the waterhole at dusk. There had been various animals that first day, but this was the first large Kudu. We had a few days at various waterholes, drove in trucks with padded shooting racks, and spotted and stalked other animals. My wife was able to take a large Waterbuck from a nice blind on Day 3. The last game we needed in our package was a Gemsbok bull. It took us three days of spotting and stalking and sitting on waterholes until we were able to take a large mature bull, Madala. We hunted a full seven days and took the four animals that we had agreed to in our package. I was never pressured to shoot any animals outside my package, but the PH's did point out other nice game to us. The Sable was quite tempting, but I stayed within my package.

The service and accomodations were excellent. The professional chef cooking the meals is very outgoing and prepares the most tasty game I have ever had! He fixed us Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, among other dishes and there were always generous portions of food as well as desserts. We ate like Kings! It was really excellent food and always prepared on time. The buildings and grounds were impeccable. The wash was done once a day, then folded and left in our rooms. I really enjoyed the staff. Werner and his wife and daughter were extraordinary hosts. We were able to go to the skinning shed and watch the skinners dress out the animals. It was very enjoyable and interesting.

I enjoyed Werner and his family very much. They all made us feel quite at home and treated us like family the whole visit. When we were done hunting, we were taken to Lephalale to shop and taken to a great seafood restaurant for a nice lunch, all at Motshwere's expense! This was such a nice gesture and really did make my wife and I feel good. When we didn't have enough Rands, Werner made a special trip into town to exchange dollars for us, so we'd have enough to buy some nice souvenirs. This hunting trip was spectacular in every way! Thank you Werner and Motshwere Safaris!! We are already talking with more friends about our experience and they would like to go as well.

I wanted to let you know that our safari with Motshwere went extremely well! It was so fun that we want to go back again. The first few days in South Africa, Motshwere planned a tour with a private Motshwere tour bus. We stayed in very nice Pretoria hotel, then traveled to visit Sudwala Caves on our way to Hazyview. We toured Kruger National Park and saw a wide variety of animals, went zip lining, visited an elephant refuge, and visited HBSC a habitat for cheetahs! After this we visited Graskop and a viewpoint named "God's Window." This wide variety of activities was entertaining, exciting, and very well planned. The Motshwere tour guides were extremely likeable and entertaining.

When we arrived at the Motshwere camp I was very impressed with the layout. There is a large circular area around a large firepit to gather and share stories about the hunts. The individual buildings were modern with authentic thatched roofs, which felt very South African and modern. The large dining room, large suites, and layout was impressive.

The hunting was excellent. Our first day I was lucky enough to take a 52" Kudu bull that approached the waterhole at dusk. There had been various animals that first day, but this was the first large Kudu. We had a few days at various waterholes, drove in trucks with padded shooting racks, and spotted and stalked other animals. My wife was able to take a large Waterbuck from a nice blind on Day 3. The last game we needed in our package was a Gemsbok bull. It took us three days of spotting and stalking and sitting on waterholes until we were able to take a large mature bull, Madala. We hunted a full seven days and took the four animals that we had agreed to in our package. I was never pressured to shoot any animals outside my package, but the PH's did point out other nice game to us. The Sable was quite tempting, but I stayed within my package.

The service and accomodations were excellent. The professional chef cooking the meals is very outgoing and prepares the most tasty game I have ever had! He fixed us Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, among other dishes and there were always generous portions of food as well as desserts. We ate like Kings! It was really excellent food and always prepared on time. The buildings and grounds were impeccable. The wash was done once a day, then folded and left in our rooms. I really enjoyed the staff. Werner and his wife and daughter were extraordinary hosts. We were able to go to the skinning shed and watch the skinners dress out the animals. It was very enjoyable and interesting.

I enjoyed Werner and his family very much. They all made us feel quite at home and treated us like family the whole visit. When we were done hunting, we were taken to Lephalale to shop and taken to a great seafood restaurant for a nice lunch, all at Motshwere's expense! This was such a nice gesture and really did make my wife and I feel good. When we didn't have enough Rands, Werner made a special trip into town to exchange dollars for us, so we'd have enough to buy some nice souvenirs. This hunting trip was spectacular in every way! Thank you Werner and Motshwere Safaris!! We are already talking with more friends about our experience and they would like to go as well.
thats great sounds like he changed things up for the better .

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really glad we went! We really enjoyed every minute.

2yl61c6.jpg

b9elav.jpg

332seww.jpg

Attachments

• b9elav.jpg
    b9elav.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 170
  • 332seww.jpg
    332seww.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 2yl61c6.jpg
    2yl61c6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
Apart from some minor issues i think everyone that hunted there had a great time, lets see if you feel the same way if your trophies dont show up as expected, think that is the crutch of the complaints.
Are your trophies being dipped and packed with the same company the others went with?

Apart from some minor issues i think everyone that hunted there had a great time, lets see if you feel the same way if your trophies dont show up as expected, think that is the crutch of the complaints.
Are your trophies being dipped and packed with the same company the others went with?
From what I understand, the company that Motshwere uses now is different from in the past. Prior to this year everything was done by a local South African taxidermist and there were quite a few complaints, so they moved to a new dipper and the hunter is encouraged to use the taxidermy of their choice. I have paid the $840 dip and ship fees to the new company, and they have assured me that my trophies will be sent to the U.S. in 3-4 months. I have an agent to handle the shipping into California, and am using a local taxidermist here in Utah. So far so good. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Now back to my story. . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelishaRae

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois