SOUTH AFRICA: Beware Mkulu Safaris

Having hunted with 14 different outfitters in SA and Namibia I have seen racism numerous times, it happens. It happens in every country by every race.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Couldn’t agree more.

I’m at work st the moment, but when I get home I think I will post a National New Zealand news video (if I can) of me leading a push back against extremist anti racism protesters trying to silence our ex national party leader.
I am a man who backs up what I say. I fight strongly for free speech. I am very opposed to this new ideology of “all whites are racist” “toxic white males” bla bla.
I’m fact, my strong belief in free speech is why I took no action against Pieter when he said those this. I just didn’t agree.
My issue with it began when I decided his views were most likely the reason for taking action against us by withholding paperwork.
Give me a day or two as I may need assistance and I will post the video of me on National News fighting against anti racism extreamists. and Flat water bill can decide for himself if he still thinks I am an anti racism extreamist. Or a guy who just sees that this case is what it is.

P.S ....and I didn’t even vote for that ex party leader! But I still stood up for him.
As an ex soldier I may not agree with what someone says but I’ll fight to protect their right to say it.
But I’ll also fight to protect myself when those words become actions against me.

I don't know one way or the other if racism was the reason why paper work was never done, but there are many reasons for paper work not getting done, outfitter never filed for permits before your hunt even started, outfitter nearly broke, outfitter not licensed, PH not licensed, outfitter just doesn't care and is looking for the next sucker, or he has a grudge for perceived wrongs ( poor tips, difficult client) or a host of other reasons. It seems that others have had the same problem with that outfitter so it is doubtful to me that they were all victims of discrimination, seems more likely some other possibility.
There is no doubt that you were not done right by outfitter.

I don't know one way or the other if racism was the reason why paper work was never done, but there are many reasons for paper work not getting done, outfitter never filed for permits before your hunt even started, outfitter nearly broke, outfitter not licensed, PH not licensed, outfitter just doesn't care and is looking for the next sucker, or he has a grudge for perceived wrongs ( poor tips, difficult client) or a host of other reasons. It seems that others have had the same problem with that outfitter so it is doubtful to me that they were all victims of discrimination, seems more likely some other possibility.
There is no doubt that you were not done right by outfitter.
Hi Jeff,
I agree with you, this is a very reasonable comment. there can be many reasons.
I think each person he has done this to would be for a different reason.
I have another third party negative report here which I have not posted yet, by a hunter who also had paperwork withheld. He says there was an issue about the trophy quality of a Sable that he shot. In his case possibly the paperwork was withheld over that Sable issue?.

Pieter told me about another hunter who was talking to him as they sat in a hide. He took the shot, then said now where was I? And carried on talking.
Pieter told me how angry that made him. So it is not hard to offend Pieter.

Please all remember I have not stated I am 100% certain my wife’s colour was the reason.
I am just saying that is my best guess based on events that happened.

Can one of the well respected SA operators that are sponsors on AH take a drive to go talk to this Pieter fellow? I understand that it’s not anyone else’s problem but a friendly visit from a fellow operator or someone else willing to help Matt would sure buy someone some great free advertising and a large amount of goodwill on this site and in the industry. As a former Board Member and member of the Colorado Outfitters Association, I have helped a few hunters with issues with other outfitters and some taxidermists. One hunter that contacted me had not heard back or received a Pronghorn antelope mount that he shot 2.5 years ago here in Colorado that was left with a Wyoming taxidermist. I called the taxidermist and left a message saying that I would be driving to Wyoming soon to pick up the Pronghorn cape and skull/horns if the hunter or I did not hear back from him or if he didn’t get the issue resolved. The next day, the taxidermist called the hunter and sent confirmation of shipping the same day. Sometimes someone else in the industry can help a fellow hunter out. There’s nothing like a personal, local visit or contact to get someone moving!

Can one of the well respected SA operators that are sponsors on AH take a drive to go talk to this Pieter fellow? I understand that it’s not anyone else’s problem but a friendly visit from a fellow operator or someone else willing to help Matt would sure buy someone some great free advertising and a large amount of goodwill on this site and in the industry. As a former Board Member and member of the Colorado Outfitters Association, I have helped a few hunters with issues with other outfitters and some taxidermists. One hunter that contacted me had not heard back or received a Pronghorn antelope mount that he shot 2.5 years ago here in Colorado that was left with a Wyoming taxidermist. I called the taxidermist and left a message saying that I would be driving to Wyoming soon to pick up the Pronghorn cape and skull/horns if the hunter or I did not hear back from him or if he didn’t get the issue resolved. The next day, the taxidermist called the hunter and sent confirmation of shipping the same day. Sometimes someone else in the industry can help a fellow hunter out. There’s nothing like a personal, local visit or contact to get someone moving!
Hi Scott CWO.
There seems to be some movement.
I had an email from Mkulu about 4 or five days ago.
The PH named Zander, that I hunted with (As pieter just drove the Hilux) has contacted me to apologise.
When I hunted with them, Zander was in the process of buying the company, and the buildings on his farm Malgas where we stayed were half way through construction, which is why he was also taking photos of us for his updated website.

every time I have checked the website it had not changed so I had started wondering if the buyout hadn't occurred.

Zander has offered an email apology, and told me he is going to make a post on this forum. which is why I have paused to give him a reasonable chance to write his post.
I'm waiting to see his reply.
Hopefully he will put this right.

I am a bit confused from your last post Zander was the PH not the Outfitter if I read correct, so why all of a sudden its now Zander who has to explain?

Yes there are always 3 sides to every story. But I also believe where there is smoke, there is fire. The OP gave enough evidence to prove all of his claims other then the racism one. And I know that one is used loosely today in North America. So North Americans are a little more sensitive to it. But based on everything else he said being true. And being we are talking about south Africa. I'm not going to pretend like I'm surprised. Slavery ended in the USA over 150 years ago, and Canada never even had slavery. And I've met and heard racist people in my time. And yes racism is far less today then it was in the 70s. And I bet the 70s were better then the 30s etc. But keep in mind, in South Africa the apartheid ended 26 years ago..... That's this generation. Every adult 30+ in age would remember it, most likely would have taken part in it etc. So it will take generations to teach tolerance just like in North America. But yes a lot of people are forward thinking and knew the apartheid was wrong even during it.

Either way OP. I personally would have left out the racism stuff. Yes I believe you that it was probably true. But one a forum like this. If you can't prove it. Leave it out. All your other claims proven by emails would have been enough to tell us this is not a guide we want to hunt with. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused from your last post Zander was the PH not the Outfitter if I read correct, so why all of a sudden its now Zander who has to explain?
Hi Frederick.
I have always hunted on public land alone without outfitters, PH’s fees, or any of that.
I do all my own carrying, tracking skinning, butchering, sausage making etc..
So this is the first time I have paid to hunt, so I have probably used incorrect terminology.
Regarding PH, outfitter etc as we don’t use these words in New Zealand hunting.
Perhaps you could explain the terminology to me?
-Mkulu is the company.
-Pieter was the owner of Mkulu, and mainly stayed in the Ute.
-Zander was the guy that I actually walked around hunting with.
We were staying on Zander’s farm, and he was in the process of building accomodation, photographing us for his website etc.

I didn’t know we were to be photographed for websites etc until we arrived.

All communication has been to Pieter.
The change of ownership must have been recent. I expect to understand more when I hear from Zander.

Basically Zander seems to have bought out Pieter, and is now the owner of Mkulu. According to the email he sent me last week, from the Mkulu email address.
As a courtesy to Zander, I think I need to give him time to reply.

Yes there are always 3 sides to every story. But I also believe where there is smoke, there is fire. The OP gave enough evidence to prove all of his claims other then the racism one. And I know that one is used loosely today in North America. So North Americans are a little more sensitive to it. But based on everything else he said being true. And being we are talking about south Africa. I'm not going to pretend like I'm surprised. Slavery ended in the USA over 150 years ago, and Canada never even had slavery. And I've met and heard racist people in my time. And yes racism is far less today then it was in the 70s. And I bet the 70s were better then the 30s etc. But keep in mind, in South Africa the apartheid ended 26 years ago..... That's this generation. Every adult 30+ in age would remember it, most likely would have taken part in it etc. So it will take generations to teach tolerance just like in North America. But yes a lot of people are forward thinking and knew the apartheid was wrong even during it.

Either way OP. I personally would have left out the racism stuff. Yes I believe you that it was probably true. But one a forum like this. If you can't prove it. Leave it out. All your other claims proven by emails would have been enough to tell us this is not a guide we want to hunt with. Thanks for posting.
Hi Chago,
Although I have mentioned the racism stuff, whether rightly or wrongly, I do strongly agree with you that the word "racist" is used too loosely these days, I think it is often used more to divide us, and silence people more than anything.

To show the level of which i agree with you, do not use the word lightly, and oppose those who over use the word for political gain, or to divide our society, I have added a screen shot , taken from "News Hub" video:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...ree-speech-debate-at-auckland-university.html

This is me at the free speech debate at Auckland University.
Protesters were trying to shut it down by screaming "racist", hate speech is not free speech" etc etc. they forced the speaker off the stage.
Audio doesn't pick it up too well, but I stood up and shouted the protesters down, (you see them looking at me to there right) and I started a chant to get the speakers back on stage to finish what they were saying.
One protester came where I was seated to make a fuss, which you can see me videoing.
(I actually turned up early, and also got video evidence of the "protesters" receiving instructions from the news reporter outside- an hour before it started!)

The screen shot is taken at the time I was demanding the speaker get back on stage and finish what he was saying.
I appear at:
7:18
10:28
and a few other spots and other channels.

So I agree with a lot of what you say.

upload_2020-2-18_9-27-29.png

Hi Chago,
Although I have mentioned the racism stuff, whether rightly or wrongly, I do strongly agree with you that the word "racist" is used too loosely these days, I think it is often used more to divide us, and silence people more than anything.

To show the level of which i agree with you, do not use the word lightly, and oppose those who over use the word for political gain, or to divide our society, I have added a screen shot , taken from "News Hub" video:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...ree-speech-debate-at-auckland-university.html

This is me at the free speech debate at Auckland University.
Protesters were trying to shut it down by screaming "racist", hate speech is not free speech" etc etc. they forced the speaker off the stage.
Audio doesn't pick it up too well, but I stood up and shouted the protesters down, (you see them looking at me to there right) and I started a chant to get the speakers back on stage to finish what they were saying.
One protester came where I was seated to make a fuss, which you can see me videoing.
(I actually turned up early, and also got video evidence of the "protesters" receiving instructions from the news reporter outside- an hour before it started!)

The screen shot is taken at the time I was demanding the speaker get back on stage and finish what he was saying.
I appear at:
7:18
10:28
and a few other spots and other channels.

So I agree with a lot of what you say.

View attachment 330662

Yes I know it's about political divide. And that's a very sensitive topic today in the USA. If you voted for Trump..... You are a racist, bigot, homophobic and whatever else these idiots have thought of. If a cop does his job at all, he is immediately arresting someone because of their race. It's crazy and Now a days that word gets tossed around like crazy. My background is croatian so again very familiar with this political divide. Basically for us, anyone who opposes communism is a fascist and anti semi. Because once upon a time those who fought against communism partnered with nazi germany. So now if you oppose communism for any of the many reasons too, your a fascist and anti Semitic. So I totally hear what your saying. And my wife is half black so I get the feeling you had. But again I wouldn't be surprised by a person in SA using the words and behaving the way you said. To be honest I actually have some understanding because I realize the environment he grew up in. I am not making excuses, but I can understand the ignorance. I have much less respect for someone who shares those same views in North America that has been taught tolerance and respect for everyone since the day they were born.

I can recall on my first trip to SA. We hunted one property where there was a local neighbour who said he was seeing kudu at blank location. He was suggesting to my PH how we should hunt them. My PH being polite was listening to the young man but in his head was letting it go in one ear out the other. The young man was no older then 20. And my PH and both trackers being black. The young man said leave one "boy" over there and drop the other "boy" over here. And have them push towards the hunter. Something a long those lines. My two trackers were men probably in there 40s or 50s. Where I come from I refer to men older then me as "sir". Not boy. Now I'm not exactly known for my ability to keep my mouth shut. So I immediately barked at the young man. Asking him who the hell he was referring to as boy considering everyone in the party was many years older than he was. And he immediately apologized and was saying to me sorry you Americans (I'm Canadian) don't know how local slangs. Truth be told that little turd doesn't even know the meaning of "boy". He's younger then the apartheid. But he's heard this all his life and didn't even realize it was wrong. And again the point of this story. Is I can tell he genuinely didn't realize why I was so bothered by his comment. And it's purely due to lack of education on the topic. As in a generation or 2 from now it will change slowly.

Update: Mkulu and I have resolved this matter.

Zander, The very recent new owner of Mkulu has offered me a Free beginners hunt which would cover the extra flight costs, time off work, and travel expenses we have incurred to get my trophies home.
The New owner of Mkulu has been very easy to communicate with.
In recognition of this fair offer, I have offered to pay for extra animals, and days so that Mkulu can still cover their cost.
I think this has been a good win-win solution, and I would now have no hesitation to hunt with Mkulu again.
Communication with Zander has been good, and I think we are both happy with the outcome.

Thank you Zander for putting this right, despite the issue being created by the previous owner.

Hello all,
I recently made a post :Beware Mkulu safaris.
I am letting everyone know that Mkulu now has new owner named Zander.
The new owner has resolved the dispute I had with the company with a very fair offer.
I have left this final post on that thread:

Update: Mkulu and I have resolved this matter.

Zander, The very recent new owner of Mkulu has offered me a Free beginners hunt which would cover the extra flight costs, time off work, and travel expenses we have incurred to get my trophies home.
The New owner of Mkulu has been very easy to communicate with.
In recognition of this fair offer, I have offered to pay for extra animals, and days so that Mkulu can still cover their cost.
I think this has been a good win-win solution, and I would now have no hesitation to hunt with Mkulu again.
Communication with Zander has been good, and I think we are both happy with the outcome.

Thank you Zander for putting this right, despite the issue being created by the previous owner.

glad to hear you have found a resolution. Good luck to you.

Glad to hear it was resolved, and also that you will hopefully be able to return to africa and have a positive experience and desire to return and enjoy it like is so common when people go.

Even if its after the hunt so you're confident it has been made right 100%, might be worth PMing an admin to have the original post and title edited so that if its dug up down the road, folks can see right in the first post that theres new ownership etc and the resolution so if they run the operation differently it doesnt negatively effect them going forward if it shouldnt

Because once upon a time those who fought against communism partnered with nazi germany.
About 21 years ago I lived in Batina for six months and visited the huge statue on the hill top that towers above the village and the Dunav several times. I fully understand your post and how it could relate to S.A. today.

Hi Scott CWO.
There seems to be some movement.
I had an email from Mkulu about 4 or five days ago.
The PH named Zander, that I hunted with (As pieter just drove the Hilux) has contacted me to apologise.
When I hunted with them, Zander was in the process of buying the company, and the buildings on his farm Malgas where we stayed were half way through construction, which is why he was also taking photos of us for his updated website.

every time I have checked the website it had not changed so I had started wondering if the buyout hadn't occurred.

Zander has offered an email apology, and told me he is going to make a post on this forum. which is why I have paused to give him a reasonable chance to write his post.
I'm waiting to see his reply.
Hopefully he will put this right.
Hi Matt,

Glad to hear you have some good things happening. Will you be able to get the paperwork done so you can get your original trophies back home? Just curious.

Thanks, Scott

Glad to hear it was resolved, and also that you will hopefully be able to return to africa and have a positive experience and desire to return and enjoy it like is so common when people go.

Even if its after the hunt so you're confident it has been made right 100%, might be worth PMing an admin to have the original post and title edited so that if its dug up down the road, folks can see right in the first post that theres new ownership etc and the resolution so if they run the operation differently it doesnt negatively effect them going forward if it shouldnt
Yes,
Thats a good idea. Thanks for letting me know how to change the title, I wasn't sure how.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross