SOUTH AFRICA: Beware Mkulu Safaris

Emails between PHASA and myself:

Matthew Meyer complaint
Inbox
x

AIbEiAIAAABDCKCLjMOVsaGSYCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGExOTQ4ZDhhN2Y4YWNlODFhNWRiODQ2ZmVhNWIxOTUzNjU2MDhiZDAwAUA0a9hRF6hsB43OjsFxquEUAkle

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 11, 2019, 9:23 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to info
cleardot.gif

Hello

As discussed im trying to get hold of Pieter Kriel so he can send the documentation for my trophys to Bullseye Taxidermy

Thank you so much for following up on this for me I am at a loss at what to do.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Matthew

profile_mask2.png

Phasa(Info) <info@phasa.co.za>
Jul 11, 2019, 10:40 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Dear Matt,

I phoned Pieter and he promised to have all the documentation ready as soon as he gets back to the office which should be tomorrow.

In the meantime let me know in which province you hunted with Pieter.

All the best.

Kind regards,

cleardot.gif

AIbEiAIAAABDCKCLjMOVsaGSYCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGExOTQ4ZDhhN2Y4YWNlODFhNWRiODQ2ZmVhNWIxOTUzNjU2MDhiZDAwAUA0a9hRF6hsB43OjsFxquEUAkle

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
cleardot.gif
Jul 12, 2019, 2:33 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Phasa(Info)
cleardot.gif

Hi Marianna

Thank you for the update abd your prompt response. We hunted in Roedtan Limpopo Province

Thanks so much
Matthew
cleardot.gif

Attachments area

profile_mask2.png

Jul 26, 2019, 12:50 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good afternoon Matt,

I hope you are well.

I spoke to Pieter again on Monday and he promised to courier the documents with DHL to the taxidermy. He also said he was in contact with you.

Should you not be happy with the situation please let me know and I will forward the details of the provincial official to assist you. As Pieter is not a PHASA member we have no jurisdiction over him and cannot investigate the matter.

I do hope all works out.

cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 26, 2019, 6:46 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Phasa(Info)
cleardot.gif

Dear Marianna,
Thank you for following up on this matter.
Bullseye have told me they will email me as soon as the documents arrive, but at this time I am not aware of bullseye having received the documents.
If It has not arrived by Monday I think the provincial official should be advised.
What power does the official have?
I just can’t believed someone would take clients hard earned money and then sabotage them getting their
Trophies. It has been a life long dream for me and many others to come to Africa.
I have found other people on African hunting forums mentioning Pieter withholding the documents.
In future I will only deal with PHASA members.
Thank you again for your assistance.
Kind regards,
Matthew
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Jul 26, 2019, 8:59 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Morning Matt,

The official should investigate the matter to see what happened.

It is best to book a hunt with a member of a reputable organisation of the country you will hunt in.

I will wait for your email.

Enjoy the weekend.

Sent: Thursday, 11 July 2019 11:24 AM
To: info@phasa.co.za
Subject: Matthew Meyer complaint

cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 29, 2019, 7:19 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Phasa(Info)
cleardot.gif

Good morning Marianna.
It’s Monday now with no word from mkulu so can you please send me the officials details. It’s time to start a complaint.
Also I found other people on a forum called “hunting report” complaining about th exact same problem with Pieter.
One guy had even spent $30,000 US with Pieter and had the same paper work problem.
Kind regards,
Matthew Meyer
cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 29, 2019, 7:22 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hello Carien,
For your information,
Here is my latest can rrespondence with PHASA.
Kind regards,
Matthew Meyer.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Bullseye Taxidermy Carien <info@bullseyetaxidermy.co.za>
Jul 30, 2019, 1:33 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good Morning sir

Trust all is well. I still have not received the paper work and he promised he would send it last week. I am going to phone Nature conservation also and see if they can help, please do not get your hopes up with them. This will be our last resort, then we will have to go to plan B. Again I am very sorry that this has happened to you.
Enjoy your day and I will keep you posted.
Enjoy your day

With Kind Regards
Carien

Bull's Eye Taxidermy
info@bullseyetaxidermy.co.za
+27 14 755 4945
www.bullseyetaxidermy.co.za
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Aug 1, 2019, 12:09 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Morning Matt,

Apologies for my late reply, but we had meetings yesterday and the day before.

You can contact Riaan de Jager - DeJagerR@ledet.gov.za – to file a complaint. I spoke to him earlier today icw another client who has trophies at Bulls Eye Taxidermy and has the same problem.

I am sorry that we cannot assist further with this matter.

All the best.

Kind regards,

cleardot.gif

Thank you for your assistance.
Thank you.
Thank you for your help.
ReplyForward

Last edited by a moderator:
This email chain contains just some of mkulus B/S excuses.

Trophies
Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

Mkulu Hunting Safaris <hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com>
Jul 15, 2019, 7:28 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good morning Matt

Our sincere apology for the breakdown in communication. We changed internet service provider and cellphone service provider at the same time which created more problems than pleasure.

Your paperwork will be shipped to Bulls Eye before the close of business on Friday.

Best regards

Amanda

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 16, 2019, 11:08 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien,
Please see forwarded email from Mkulu....
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Jul 16, 2019, 8:34 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Mkulu, me
cleardot.gif

Good Moring sir

Trust all is well. I have not received anything from them. I will let you know if I do receive something.

Amanda ; Please confirm how you will send the paper work to me.

With Kind Regards
Carien

Bull's Eye Taxidermy
+27 14 755 4945
cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 21, 2019, 9:29 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Mkulu
cleardot.gif

Hi Amanda,
Can you please let me know if the paper work has been shipped on Friday?
Kind regards,
Matthew.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Mkulu Hunting Safaris <hunt@huntinginafricasafaris.com>
Jul 22, 2019, 5:30 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good evening Matthew, we made the shipping company in the nick of time to learn they do not ship to postal addresses. We will have it out first thing in the morning.

We apologise but will have the shipping number in the morning.

Amanda

cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Jul 29, 2019, 9:29 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye, Phasa(Info), Mkulu
cleardot.gif

Hello Amanda,

Has the paper work been sent yet?
We have seen other complaints on forums such as the hunting report about Pieter not sending paper work, and one guy who spent $30,000US who had this same paper work problem.
We are now concerned that is what is happening to us. This is really disappointing as coming to Africa is a dream come true for many people and to have it end in a matter of what seems to be some sort of petty refusal to send paper work for no reason, after taking clients money is very dishonourable.

What is the real reason you are not sending it?

Matthew.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Jul 30, 2019, 2:30 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me, Mkulu, Phasa(Info)
cleardot.gif

Hello

We have not received any paperwork yet.
cleardot.gif

This email chain shows where Bullseye first alerted me to the problem of peiter not sending the paperwork.
You will see that at first I gave him the benefit of the dougbt, and thought it was just because he was out hunting.

Pieter Kriel
Inbox
x

profile_mask2.png

Apr 17, 2019, 10:15 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good day sir

Trust all is well. I need your help please. We have not receive any paperwork from Pieter Kriel at Mkhulu Safaris so I can not apply for your export permits. I have tried calling him, emailing him and texting but no answer. Do you have any paperwork for your hunt? Did Pieter give you any documents? Could you send me copies please if you do have anything?
Looking forward to hearing from you

With Kind Regards
Carien

Bull's Eye Taxidermy
+27 14 755 4945

Matt Meyer <meyerma24@gmail.com>
Apr 17, 2019, 10:59 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien,
Perhaps you could try contacting zander, who is Peiter's apprentice. His property is called Malgas and it is on R519 in Roedtan.
We don't have any paper work.
All we have is the email chain with Mkulu from when we arranged the hunt, which I will forward to you.
Regards,
Matthew.
cleardot.gif

Apr 17, 2019, 11:06 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien,
Would it help if I send a bank statement as evidence of my payment to Mkulu?
I'm a bit worried as I don't understand why the paperwork has not been sent to you.
Regards,
Matthew.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Apr 17, 2019, 11:24 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello sir

Thank you for the email. Do you have a number for Zander? I do not have any contact details apart from Pieters number and he does not answer me. You were suppose to get a white ph register after the hunt, that is one of Nature conservations rules.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Apr 17, 2019, 11:44 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello

Thank you for the offer but that would not help me at all. I will keep trying to get hold of him and keep you posted.
Thank you for your help so far.
Enjoy your day
cleardot.gif

Apr 18, 2019, 4:59 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien,
No, I don't think we got a PH register after the hunt, we had no idea that was required, as this was our first African hunt. And we don't have zander's number.
Hopefully Pieter is just out hunting, and will respond shortly.
Is there a chance I could lose my trophies if we don't hear back from Pieter?
Regards,
Matthew.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Apr 18, 2019, 6:54 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good day sir

Trust all is well. Thank you for your help. I will keep trying to get hold of him. I will try my best to make sure you do not lose your trophies as this is not your fault.
Enjoy your day
cleardot.gif

Apr 18, 2019, 11:52 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Thank you Carien, hopefully he is just out hunt at the moment. and will get back to you shortly.
Regards,
Matthew.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Apr 19, 2019, 9:49 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hello

Yes I hope so to.
Enjoy your weekend
cleardot.gif

May 8, 2019, 8:06 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien,
Have you been able to make contact with Pieter yet?
Or Zander at farm Malgas in Roedtan.
It would be good to have this resolved soon

Thanks
Matthew
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

May 9, 2019, 5:56 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good day sir

Trust all is well. No I have not yet got hold of Zander or Pieter. I have tried all options in finding him but can not get hold of him. I even tried to contact him through his web site but nobody is getting back to me. By law the client is suppose to get a copy of his hunting documents after the hunt. I am still trying to get hold of him and will keep on trying.
Enjoy your day and let me know if you need anything else
cleardot.gif

May 22, 2019, 6:36 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien, I have managed to get hold of Pieter. He has been out of the country. I have asked him to contact you.
Kind regards,
Matthew
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

May 22, 2019, 5:35 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good Morning sir

Thank you so much for your help. I will wait to hear from him.
cleardot.gif

Jun 17, 2019, 11:39 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Bullseye
cleardot.gif

Hi Carien.
Has Pieter got back to you yet, or should I. Contact him again.
Regards,
Matt.
cleardot.gif

profile_mask2.png

Jun 18, 2019, 6:35 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Good Morning sir

Trust all is well. No I have not heard anything from him. Thank you for your help in this matter.
cleardot.gif

Yes, I have emailed Pieter. There is something strange about this negative post. Sounds personal.
This is a valid question Brian,
you were one of the lucky ones, so i can understand why you may be thinking perhaps there was a fight or something that I have not disclosed? That would be a reasonable question to ask.

So since you have raised this point, I have added one more email chain. In this email chain I can prove that prior to pieter doing us over with the trophies, there was nothing personal coming from my end. I was friendly, and chatted with him, even upon my return. Telling him of my plans to also starting doing some father son fishing trips.

Like I keep saying he will smile and chat but if he chooses to do you over for whatever his reasons are, he will do you over by withholding paper work as he has done to many others with a smile as he does it. You may never even learn why he did it to you.

This was the last communication pieter and I had before I l;earned from Bullseye taxidermy that he was actually doing us over.

Springbok skin
Inbox
x

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Wed, Dec 12, 2018, 6:25 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Pieter
cleardot.gif

Hi Peter,
I hope all is well,
We are arrived back in NZ yesterday. Bulls eye emailed me to send their invoice, and the Springbok flat skin was missing from the delivery.
Could you please check to see where it is, and send to them.

I checked out the photos on the SD card as soon as I got home, and they are really stunning! I hope Zander got some suitable photos for his website.
Stay hi to Zander and Wernand for us when you see them next, (I hope I spelt their names correctly) and please forward us Zander's website. It will be great to follow his progress with his property and farm.
Thank you again for the wonderful experience. Even though it was only a couple of days it was fantastic.
Kind regards,

Matt and Alicia.

AIbEiAIAAABDCKPplaCQnbq8UCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGVkNjZlYzE3NzhhNzgyNjA0OWVjMGZhYjFjZmRkY2NiZjNlY2QxNTQwAdcvBV9oHnztJkV2Oul3dXclZOo4

Hunting in Africa <hunt@huntinginafrica.co.za>
Thu, Dec 13, 2018, 1:36 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Welcome home the two of you!

Hope you had a great time over here. Darn, sorry about the springbok skin, will phone Zander in a few minutes.

Just spoke to Zander. He will contact Werner about the skin and get back to me asap.

Thank you for being great hunting companions. It is always a bonus to have friends that are not full of it!

Speak to you soon.

Cheers

Pieter

cleardot.gif

Matt Meyer <XXXXXXXXXXX>
Fri, Dec 21, 2018, 9:43 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Hunting
cleardot.gif

Hi Pieter,

I hope your count down to christmas is going well.

I took Alicia's South African friends husband and daughter out on my boat fishing a couple days ago, got a stack of snapper and gernard for christmas lunch. As well as an eagle ray, and my son caught a bronze whaler shark that we photographed then released. I was so busy baiting everyone's hooks I had no time to drop a line myself. - It got me thinking about doing an affordable father/son type fishing charter.

Have you had any news from Zander about the Skin?

Merry Christmas,

Matt.
cleardot.gif

AIbEiAIAAABDCKPplaCQnbq8UCILdmNhcmRfcGhvdG8qKGVkNjZlYzE3NzhhNzgyNjA0OWVjMGZhYjFjZmRkY2NiZjNlY2QxNTQwAdcvBV9oHnztJkV2Oul3dXclZOo4

Hunting in Africa <hunt@huntinginafrica.co.za>
Fri, Dec 21, 2018, 6:41 PM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Morning Matt

My brother and I finished our last building project yesterday. Officially our count down begins today, finally. Got up this morning and did not know exactly what to do as I was going nowhere, had to prepare for nothing and did not have to pack lunch.

The father son thing I am sure will be something that you should pursue. Of all my hunting packages the father and son sells easiest and most. If you have the gear and the time, it could pay for your fuel and leave something to spare.

Zander picked up the springbok skin but was too late to get it to Bulls Eye, they closed for Christmas. He has it in safe storage on the farm.

Looking forward to having you over again.

Best to Alicia

Regards

Pieter

PS Can I get rid of your thorn branch? Lol

Hate to hear all this happened. Where are your mounts now? Still in SA or in transit to you?

I always look carefully at complaints. An old habit as a former Commanding Officer. Especially complaints by first time posters. This is one of those, and the first one I have seen to accuse the HO of being a racist. Now being a racist is a crime punishable by death in some areas (see Warren vs Magnuson, Portland, OR) so it should not be taken lightly.
Basically, the OP Matt went on a hunt with Mkulu Safaris, and had Pieter as his guide. The OP took along his wife, who he describes as a "coloured" lady from RSA who had lived under Apartheid.
The base problem was loss of paper work on an impala and maybe a springbok trophy. Doesn't really matter.
The OP says his guide Pieter was a "racist". He became "cowardly and vindictive" I was really imbarrased (sic) to eat...there", and "I felt disgusted".
His wife, (Alicia?) was pleased to make Pieter angry by "having to serve a coloured woman" "Pieter was "furious that he had to be polite to serve a coloured woman" (how would they know this was the cause? An intuitive gift?
The OP further states that Pieter looked at them with venom and hatred in his eyes.....
Wow.
The OP then includes an email to the racist guide "thank you for the wonderful experience...although only a couple of days, it was fantastic"
Curious way to describe a dreadful, disgusting experience.
Pieter, the racist, then said "my best to Alicia......thanks for being great hunting companions. and in another post, "Looking forward to having you over again."
Paper work got lost, Pieter should have fessed up. Tough Shxx. Probably hundreds of impala and bok hides everywhere, easy to mix up. But you never know, racists may have a habit of hiding Springbok and Impala paperwork, writing manifestos on the tanned hides. Or on a hunting thread.........read complaints carefully and critically. Wait to hear the other side.
FWB

As the saying goes, always 3 sides to a story. No clue where the truth lies but at this point would anyone take a chance with this outfit when we have numerous outfitters here on AH without any reported issues. I know I sure wouldn't.
Sure hope something changes and you get your taxidermy completed and sorted out.

I always look carefully at complaints. An old habit as a former Commanding Officer. Especially complaints by first time posters. This is one of those, and the first one I have seen to accuse the HO of being a racist. Now being a racist is a crime punishable by death in some areas (see Warren vs Magnuson, Portland, OR) so it should not be taken lightly.
Basically, the OP Matt went on a hunt with Mkulu Safaris, and had Pieter as his guide. The OP took along his wife, who he describes as a "coloured" lady from RSA who had lived under Apartheid.
The base problem was loss of paper work on an impala and maybe a springbok trophy. Doesn't really matter.
The OP says his guide Pieter was a "racist". He became "cowardly and vindictive" I was really imbarrased (sic) to eat...there", and "I felt disgusted".
His wife, (Alicia?) was pleased to make Pieter angry by "having to serve a coloured woman" "Pieter was "furious that he had to be polite to serve a coloured woman" (how would they know this was the cause? An intuitive gift?
The OP further states that Pieter looked at them with venom and hatred in his eyes.....
Wow.
The OP then includes an email to the racist guide "thank you for the wonderful experience...although only a couple of days, it was fantastic"
Pieter, the racist, then said "my best to Alicia......thanks for being great hunting companions. and in another post, "Looking forward to having you over again."
Paper work got lost, Pieter should have fessed up. Tough Shxx. Probably hundreds of impala and bok hides everywhere, easy to mix up. But you never know, racists may have a habit of hiding Springbok and Impala paperwork, writing manifestos on the tanned hides. Or on a hunting thread.........read complaints carefully and critically. Wait to hear the other side.
FWB
Hi flat water bill.
That’s why I have posted the email evidence.

Like I said to Brian.... don’t need to take my word for it,
I have shown absolute transparency by posting the email chains to show my integrity and honesty.
Just a few of many points points you seem to have missed or ignored....
-Bullseye taxidermy talking about 4 clients at that moment in time all without paperwork from Pieter.
-Bulls eye stating Pieter has broken nature conservations rules.
- Bulls eye talking about Pieter ignoring them.
- Mkulu excuses of we’ll send it tomorrow ...tomorrow. Check the dates. That was almost a year ago!
- PHASA commenting on how next time I should choose someone more “reputable” therefore by implication stating Mkulu are not reputable.
- PHASA confirming that pieter is not a member, therefore they have no jurisdiction over him. I would guess that is how he got away with this for so long.

I was also in the military to and I would expect my C.O to read the evidence.
Perhaps you are more motivated by trying to dispel “the race card” as you put and cover for people who call black people “monkeys”
As for the final email chain that shows courteous communication, I posted that to show that despite the racist stuff we remained polite and courteous at all times, and there was no personal stuff going on at our end.
I stated many times we remained polite and courteous as New Zealanders are known for that.
I have also posted links to other forums of others with the same complaint but they had to be deleted as you can’t post links to other websites on this forum.
Read this tread more carefully and you will find my breadcrumbs on how to find those other posts.

Wow.
FWB

I think we should leave the racism part out of the "complaint'. The OP is pissed; I get that. I too find the descriptions of racism a bit melodramatic, but then I have rarely been personally the target of racism (only in Africa and Asia!). The treatment of Pieter's staff, as alleged, is troubling though. But on this bit I will withhold judgment as I await Pieter's response. There is no doubt, though, that a sensitive North American (not sure the OP is either sensitive or North American - a Kiwi? - just using the as an example) might find the way some with white and black African's interact uncomfortable, to say the least. This part of the complaint is necessarily very subjective.

This issue aside, though, there seems to be a valid complaint here. From the email exchanges, this seems a lot more than "paperwork got lost, Pieter should have fessed up." Pieter seems to be negligent at the very least - the first email, from an independent source (the taxidermy studio) clearly says they are waiting on paperwork for four clients and can't get anything from Pieter. Between PHASA and the taxidermy studio, they seem to be unable to reach Pieter generally, but in the few cases where they do, he assures them that the issue will be resolved (by a particular day), then does nothing and goes radio-silent again. I get that PH's and outfitters can be very busy, might not be in the office, might be in the field, might be off the grid, might be constipated, etc., but we've heard this too often on AH. In these cases we seem to have come to what I thought was a consensus - that the hunt covers planning, arrival, the actual hunt, trophy care and delivery. If PH or outfitter can't or won't accept responsibility for all phases of his operation, time to find another one. Telling a client who is the victim of such a PH or outfitter "Tough Shxx" is unreasonable and frankly ridiculous.

So unless the emails provided are fakes, I'm very much with the OP that this has gone on far too long. He seems to have tried to get Pieter to perform what is after all a very simple task, and one which he is legally obligated to do anyway. With no result. I'd be pissed too.

Speaking only for myself, even if Pieter makes this good with the OP, he'd never get my business. There are so many outfitters and PHs who take their responsibilities to clients seriously that there's no point in trying one who doesn't.

............. If PH or outfitter can't or won't accept responsibility for all phases of his operation, time to find another one. ...........

:S Agree:

Yup........totally true, Brick. Matt, one thing is for sure.....your PH Pieter, did not do right by you. The emails make that evident. I hope you get resolution. But a Racist and a potential murderer on your first post? No, I will withhold judgement on that........still, best of luck............FWB

Hi guys,
Flat water Bill seems very focused on the “race card” angle to this thread.
To me this is a side issue mainly mentioned because I think it goes toward explain motive.
Regarding the racism aspect of this, I elaborated at bit on this - I think in reply to Brian.
Perhaps some more detail is needed.
What I am saying is that I have racked my brain during this whole episode thinking why would he have done this? We were polite and friendly despite feeling uncomfortable.
As evidenced in the last email chain.
Despite his treatment of workers and monkey talk etc.
(Bare in mind my wife is also able to translate a lot of the africaans that other hunters may not understand)
I had gone through multiple possibilities in my head to think what I may have done wrong.
It is correct that it is my best guess that racism is the reason, given his behaviour.
No man knows another’s thoughts,
But as I said “I think” it is due to racism given the events that happened. I did not say it is due to racism.
But every thing I said that occurred did occur.
Also to clarify I did not say he has admitted to murdering blacks.
I said he talked about how no one would miss them if you killed them- to be clear that is not an admission to murder.
But it does speak to his attitude to them.

Given the new racial tensions in SA with white farmers being murdered, talk of white land confiscation without compensation, etc etc, I’m am surprised That the race tension aspect of the matter is the hardest part to believe.

Hi Hank2211’
Sorry I’m not quite sure want you were asking about North America?
If you are asking where Alicia is from, she is from South Africa.
Johannesburg born and raised.
So she is very familiar with black white interaction there.
She says even by S.A cultural norms the stuff we have mentioned is over the top.
You have good point that coming from NZ these things are a bit shocking to me. Imari and Europeans generally mix , intermarry and get on pretty well here.
But my views expressed are after talking to her about cultural norms there.
But I do think this is a side issue.

I think we should leave the racism part out of the "complaint'. The OP is pissed; I get that. I too find the descriptions of racism a bit melodramatic, but then I have rarely been personally the target of racism (only in Africa and Asia!). The treatment of Pieter's staff, as alleged, is troubling though. But on this bit I will withhold judgment as I await Pieter's response. There is no doubt, though, that a sensitive North American (not sure the OP is either sensitive or North American - a Kiwi? - just using the as an example) might find the way some with white and black African's interact uncomfortable, to say the least. This part of the complaint is necessarily very subjective.

This issue aside, though, there seems to be a valid complaint here. From the email exchanges, this seems a lot more than "paperwork got lost, Pieter should have fessed up." Pieter seems to be negligent at the very least - the first email, from an independent source (the taxidermy studio) clearly says they are waiting on paperwork for four clients and can't get anything from Pieter. Between PHASA and the taxidermy studio, they seem to be unable to reach Pieter generally, but in the few cases where they do, he assures them that the issue will be resolved (by a particular day), then does nothing and goes radio-silent again. I get that PH's and outfitters can be very busy, might not be in the office, might be in the field, might be off the grid, might be constipated, etc., but we've heard this too often on AH. In these cases we seem to have come to what I thought was a consensus - that the hunt covers planning, arrival, the actual hunt, trophy care and delivery. If PH or outfitter can't or won't accept responsibility for all phases of his operation, time to find another one. Telling a client who is the victim of such a PH or outfitter "Tough Shxx" is unreasonable and frankly ridiculous.

So unless the emails provided are fakes, I'm very much with the OP that this has gone on far too long. He seems to have tried to get Pieter to perform what is after all a very simple task, and one which he is legally obligated to do anyway. With no result. I'd be pissed too.

Speaking only for myself, even if Pieter makes this good with the OP, he'd never get my business. There are so many outfitters and PHs who take their responsibilities to clients seriously that there's no point in trying one who doesn't.
I been really busy at work and only now that I’m home I’ve got a chance to properly read this.
I think you’ve summed it up really well.

Well, just like Amazon reviews it will take 9 or more positive reviews just to offset this one. I think Matt accomplished his goal.

Yes, Tragiclogic.... even more than most AH members are aware. Racism is a crime in South Africa. It can result in loss of license and 3 years in jail....and this has been a recent sentence for even racial slurs. Each time someone says "I am the victim of racial injustice"....then good meaning folks jump to their defense. (Can you think of any other cases here in the USA?) Here, on an initial posting, an individual new to the site, mentioned 4 times that they were victims of racism. Could be. Maybe. I suspect AH members were not aware how serious this allegation is on a public forum. They jumped right to his defense. Never questioning. But the OP knew......he described his close ties to South Africa. He knew this issue could cost his PH everything. License, Freedom, heck, people get killed on the farms for less. Racial issues are among the biggest challenges facing RSA. Learn to be cautious when someone tells you that racism is the cause of losing their springbok cape. It just sounds fishy. Trolling fishy. Wait before you judge. But Matt, I would offer you the same consideration of innocence until proven guilty if you were accused of a crime that could cost you your livelihood, your freedom, or worse. It's the right thing to do. Never rush to judgement. I do believe paperwork was lost. I saw evidence of that...........I believe that part of the story........but "I hope to have you back, my best to Alicia" just doesn't like an evil PH to me........OK, Soap Box rant over: my best to everyone............FWB

PHASA have no "authority" over members or non members. They can only expel a member who goes against there own rules and nothing further than that.

Hi Flat water,
The paperwork wasn't lost. It was withheld. two different things.
How have I jumped to conclutions after sitting in a ute (it think you call them pick ups?) listening to pieter tell us about the stupid monkeys that are sitting in the seat right behind us?
How have I miss understood pieter threaten the cook Michael that he will kill him for looking at pieter as we ate?
Was it a joke? because Michael wasn't laughing.I wasn't laughing Alicia who would get South African humour wasn't laughing. she was shocked.
I won't list it all over again. But it happened full stop.

Since you keep minimising the withholding of paper work as a simple mistake of losing it, here is a cut and paste from another person with the exact same problem from pieter .
Let me know if you want to keep refering to it as simple matter of lost paperwork, and i'll send more.

(NOTE: I REDACTED SOME PARTS TO AVOID BREACHING THIS WEBSITES RULES).

May 1, 2016
Before the ink was dry on our February print issue, Cliff Johnson’s negative report on Pieter Kriel’s Hunting in Africa XXXXXXXXXXXXX in the Email Extra edition had shaken loose yet another complaint about Kriel’s failure to deliver trophies.

After filing an initially-positive report XXXXXX on his 2015 hunt with Kriel, subscriber David Trinchero sent this addendum on January 29, 2016.

“After eight months, I still have no idea where my trophies are. Pieter Kriel stopped responding to me immediately after the final payment via wire transfer went through. I have absolutely no idea of how to get my trophies now. I have sent more than 10 emails and tried calling the number on his website to no avail. It seems like he got the money for my trophies and has disappeared off of the face of the earth. I am truly disappointed and frustrated with the lack of response. When I left Africa, Pieter assured me he would get my trophies sent before the end of 2015 and would keep me posted on their progress. He has done neither. I have tried every avenue now to reach him and find my animals. No responses. I now would NOT recommend this hunt due to the lack of response from Pieter and the question of whether or not I will ever receive my trophies.”

We contacted Kriel with Trichero’s complaint, which prompted an immediate response from Kriel, who promised he would get the missing trophies moving quickly. That was months ago and, thus far no trophies have been shipped.

At this point it appears Kriel has stopped even making promises or excuses. The only two reports we have on Kriel’s operation are now both marred by problems with trophy shipments. Delivering trophies is a critical part of any hunting operation, and we are disturbed by what seems to be Kriel’s inability to follow up and do his job in a timely manner. Keep that in mind if you consider a hunt with this operator. Caveat emptor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross