SOUTH AFRICA: Back To TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS... Another Epic Adventure

Fantastic hunt, love that Buff! Congrats to your Wife!!

A few of the recovered bullets. Been working on handloads months prior and was great to see how they preformed.
Shout out to @Bullthrower338 for hooking me up with some A Frames...
0902220842.jpg

Congratulations to your bride on an incredible bull. With all due respect...your she gives new meaning to the term "Trophy Wife". ;) We should all be so lucky.

Congratulations to your bride on an incredible bull. With all due respect...your she gives new meaning to the term "Trophy Wife". ;) We should all be so lucky.
Appreciate it brother. She can hold her own:sneaky:
Speak with ya soon. Good luck on the honkers!

With the last day upon us before the move to the Greater Kruger area we shifted all focus to locating a good Kings Wildebeest bull. In typical wildebeest style they are always on the move and never in one spot very long. We knew an area where a good bull had been visiting on and off throughout the past week, so with limited time we took a gamble on sticking to that area for the duration. We watched a mixed group of wildebeest filter out of the dense bush into a more open area. This would allow us to close some distance and still stay hidden down wind. Rouan placed the sticks down around 80 yards and with the bull quartering towards us the Mrs took her shot. At the shot the bull’s legs folded and down he went. She took the angle into account perfectly and is one of the better executed shots I’d witnessed over the past week at Tsala.
New phone pictures 2123.jpg

Great Safari and congrats on the beautiful animals!

HH

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Day three dawned and we could feel it was going to be a few degrees warmer so that was very much welcomed. The morning started out pretty typical with us checking the roads for tracks and dragging roads when it was determined it needed to be done.
View attachment 486297

We were making our way to one of the dam locations when two buffalo were spotted in the thickets perhaps 100 yards from our location. From our position nobody could see the buffalo clear enough to know if they were of proper age and such but once we looked at the track everyone was in agreeance, they warranted a closer inspection. The Mrs was getting excited at this point and even though I was bringing up the 6 location I was excited as well. With her 375 H&H in hand, off she went following Herman and Rouan as they snaked their way through the thorn bushes following the buffalo tracks. We followed these tracks from several hours, but they just kept feeding along. Always just out of sight and making sure they stayed in the thickest, nastiest areas they could find.

We kept on with the game of cat and mouse and finally caught a break when the bulls acted like they wanted to bed down. We were caught in a small open area with minimal cover and simply nowhere to move to for a proper look at the bulls. Rouan could see that the one bull’s bosses were nice and solid and by all face characteristics (stubby face, dewlap) would be a proper old bull. However, no one could really see the horns beyond the bosses due to our position and the bull’s position. We had to make a move and it was going to be an all or nothing kind of deal. If they hear, smell, or see any of us the game will be over for sure. Staying as low as humanly possible we all drop back a few yards and make a swing to the low side while trying to keep the already minimal wind in our face. Rouan found a good bush to use as cover and for my wife to shoot from. She was in position for her shot and I was directly to her left waiting. From my position I could see the target bull but there was a small tree right in front of his shoulder. All I could do is wait for the Mrs to shoot and I would touch the right barrel off at the same time. Seconds feel like hours and every sense a person has is wide open as you try to patiently wait for everything to be just right. Boom! The 375 goes off and within a second I follow with one shot from the 470. My wife is quick to work the bolt and has a fresh round in the chamber in record time. I look at Rouan and Herman and they are both smiling and pointing at the ground. At the shot the bull dropped in his tracks. My wife’s shot was true and sure didn’t need any help from me. A few moments later the death bellow is heard, and we all remove our hats to show our respect. Once we verify the lights are truly out on the bull, the hunter can finally place hands on her bull of a lifetime.
View attachment 486301
View attachment 486302View attachment 486303
Bit heavy snout on him, awesome bull. Congrats (y)

With the last day upon us before the move to the Greater Kruger area we shifted all focus to locating a good Kings Wildebeest bull. In typical wildebeest style they are always on the move and never in one spot very long. We knew an area where a good bull had been visiting on and off throughout the past week, so with limited time we took a gamble on sticking to that area for the duration. We watched a mixed group of wildebeest filter out of the dense bush into a more open area. This would allow us to close some distance and still stay hidden down wind. Rouan placed the sticks down around 80 yards and with the bull quartering towards us the Mrs took her shot. At the shot the bull’s legs folded and down he went. She took the angle into account perfectly and is one of the better executed shots I’d witnessed over the past week at Tsala.View attachment 486749
I took one when I was there last year. It is now a beautiful thick rug I just love. Well done! Nothing speaks like a huge smile after taking a great animal like this!

Well done! You had a great hunt with Tsala. I enjoyed my time there last May. Tell your wife congrats on some great shooting.
Bruce

The day has come to make our move to a property boarding the Olifants river and Balule Nature Reserve. The drive from Tsala’s property West was very scenic as we watched the obvious change in terrain and the local flora and fauna.
New phone pictures 2212.jpg

Pulling up to our new home for the next few days was most surprising as the view from the back deck was amazing and the inside would be considered anything but “roughing it”.

New phone pictures 2221.jpg

lodge pic3.jpg

We didn’t waste any time after we downloaded luggage and gear to go for a look see. Rouan informed us that this area held some really nice Waterbuck and Nyala. Lots of game was spotted down in or by the river and we were fortunate to come across several elephant, hippo and one or two crocs while out and about.
Hippo pic1.jpg

Hippo pic3.jpg

Ele pic1.jpg

Ele pic2.jpg

Croc pic1.jpg

We decided to try our hand at fishing with the hippos and of course the only one that caught anything wasn’t me….seems to be a pattern forming.
Fishing pic1.jpg

During one of the afternoon drives, Rouan spotted a Nyala bull that he thought warranted a closer look. Upon inspection it was found to be a good bull to take and with one shot from the Wife’s 375 the bull was down. They really are beautiful animals.

Nyala Pic1.jpg

Rouan proposed the option to take a drive into the Kruger and we gladly accepted the plan. Having never been we figured it was now or never. We stopped at one of the internal camps for breakfast and to walk through the museum onsite. The elephant tusks on display were nothing short of breathtaking.
Ele pic3.jpg

Ele pic4.jpg

Tree Pic1.jpg

We would like to thank everyone at Tsala once again for another amazingly successful trip!

Thanks to all that took the time to read our review and we will hopefully see a bunch of y’all here in Tennessee during SCI. I will make sure to fire up the bronze pots and bring a jug or two of “mountain water”…
New phone pictures 1925.jpg

Congrats on an awesome hunt!
That is a great Buff your wife got! Congrats on your Nyala!

Great report and an obviously wonderful trip. The folks at Tsala are top notch and we hope to get back there soon ourselves.
Couldn't agree more. All around great family and property.
You took a great bull as well if my memory serves correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you