CMUNDY

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RRPC
Just got back from hunting in the Limpopo with Spiral Horn Safaris and couldn't be happier. The first day hunt saw Impala, Zebra, and Wildebeest moving ahead of us then a Wildebeest bull stopped and was facing us. This one I got and it turned out to be a beautifull animal. The following day started the same way, stalking and finding an Impala within range. This one made for a long stalk as he knew somthing was following him. He was another great animal.
A couple of days went by with some stalks that were almost sucsessful but just didn't work out. One time I forgot the safty was on and another was a clean miss. Embarrassing mishaps will happen but I composed myself and got a great Kudu and Gemsbok. The highlight of the hunt was a Girrafe that was an exhilarating experience, they are a very tough animal. These animals I had only seen pictures before and now I had my own.
We also got to shoot francolin some evenings which was alot of fun. I cannot overstate how much fun the entire hunt was as well as time around the fire and the food made this trip worth arranging another one as soon as possible.

watermark.php

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
musta been fun please post some pictures!!

All the best
Ibie

Chris,

I bet you must have had a wonderful time & experience at the Spiral Horn Camp & with your host Louis guiding you , he is a great PH ,gentleman & a friend. Do post the photos & the hunt report.

Monish

Hey Chris,
Congratulations on your animals. Very pleased to hear that you had a great time. Hope you post some photos soon!

here are some of the photos. Louis has some better ones.

chris

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, Thanks for the hunt report and these wonderful pictures! Good to hear that you has a great hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris.

Chris,
Surely you had a good hunting expedition, looking from your pictures. Good quarry. Congratulations.
Popo.

Great looking animals....looks like you had a great time.

Chris,

Congratulations !!!! great bag of trophies you got there. Thanks for sharing .. U using the Ruger ?? What caliber ???

Monish

nice trophies

Really nice trophies, thanks for sharing, that kudu is beautiful.

nd

Great kudu and other trophies! Spiral Horn Safaris provides a great safari. Welcome back! That Kudu is a beast. Louis really has damn big kudu!

Chris,

Congratulations !!!! great bag of trophies you got there. Thanks for sharing .. U using the Ruger ?? What caliber ???

Monish

The Ruger #1 is a .375 H&H and the Giraffe was taken with a Winchester 70 in .458. sory I didn't down-load the pictureof it.

AWESOME!
Great trophies.That is a heck of an Impala.
Chris, I hunted at Buffelsvlei with the Spiral Horn Safaris crew earlier this year and must say this thread has made me homesick.
Your comment regarding the giraffe is spot on (pardon the pun)... they are one tough customer.
Congratulations,
Ty

Your trophies are very nice!

Very nice trophies, can you elaborate on your experience? What were the accommodations? What was the terrain? Did you do a lot of walking or spot & stalk? Did you have to drive to the areas where you hunted or were they right there. What species were abundant? And additional info would be appreciated.

Fantastic trophies, photography, and just a classic rifle in with Ruger #1!!

Very nice trophies, can you elaborate on your experience? What were the accommodations? What was the terrain? Did you do a lot of walking or spot & stalk? Did you have to drive to the areas where you hunted or were they right there. What species were abundant? And additional info would be appreciated.

This was my first African hunt so I don't have anything to compare it to there but the guys are so friendly and welcoming it was easy to relax once your there. The terrain is mostly level and changing from fairly open grassy areas to thick thorny scrub growth.
Most of the time you will spot from the truck and then stalk on foot. If your lucky the animal will let you get close other times you end up spooking it and you walk a good ways to either get it or another animal you stumble on. I'll answer more of your questions soon.

Chris

To answer the other parts of your questions. You do stay and hunt on the same property for certain species and for other you hunt on the nieghbors property (about 10min. drive). There are plenty of Impala, Wildebeest, Zebra,
Kudu, Gemsbok. You will also regularly see Eland, giraffe, wart hog, springbok.
Some Tsetsebee, waterbuk, and nyala. You'll have a nice cabin to yourself and will probably be the only hunter there. The chef prepares the meals, especialy the meats, to perfection. The camp is very relaxed. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg