Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Just got back in KC getting a little rest before drive to Manhattan. Cell phone battery only works when plugged in so pictures will be downloaded when I get hom. It was a very exciting hunt and walked 8 to Ten miles a day. Full report and pictures coming.

P1010157 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome home! Can't wait to read your report and see your pictures!
Rest up and have a safe drive.

+1

Awesome, looking forward to it!!!

Can't wait to hear more about it!!

Glad you made it back safe and looking forward to the hunt report!

Looking forward to hearing about & seeing pics of your hunt.

Good stuff. Safe final leg.

Welcome back, you got my attention!

Finally rested up and have downloaded pictures from my camera. We started the journey from KC to Dallas and then to
Doha Qatar. Qatar airlines is a very nice airline. We flew on a new 777 and they served plenty of food and drinks. We had a long layover in Qatar and was offered a free hotel room but not having been there before we thought we would hang out in the airport. We checked out the shops and found a nice bar to have a few beers with comfortable chairs. By the time we found our gate for the flight to Joberg the eight hour layover actually went by pretty fast. I think I was to keyed up to sleep. We than got on the flight to RSA and when we arrived we were met by a driver who toke us to Serapa. We didn't have to shot our way out of town but I did notice a large amount of police by the airport. About a third of the way there our driver got pulled over by the police for speeding. I don't know why everyone was passing him. They stuck him a 100 rand which he paid on site. Must of been break time for the police. We finally arrived at Serapa what a beautiful place. Glad to be there after the long journey.
P1010177 (1).JPG
P1010136 (1).JPG
P1010137 (1).JPG
P1010134 (1).JPG
P1010127 (1).JPG

I'm back got detained by a five gallon bucket of tomatoes. The next morning we went to the range to check the 416 ruger. A couple of shots and it was right on at 50 yards. I could not tell much difference between it and my 375 ruger both are the Alaskan model. Pule the PH said it was right on and it was. Anita stayed in camp the first day to get over the jet lag. We checked out some water holes and toke up some fresh tracks. We finally caught up with the buff and he was standing in some thick brush. Jumped out at about 30 yards and was gone. I'm starting to find out that these guys are real sneaky. We followed a few other tracks but never caught up with them. The first day logged about five miles than went back to the lodge for some nice lamb pie. The next morning was up early for a nice breakfast of bacon and eggs. Anita went today and We had Herman for the driver and Albert was our tracker. We had a few good stalks that were busted by eland zebra and wildebeest. I'm seeing these buff use everything to their advantage. We finally got on about four buffs and two were shooters. Pule got me within 30 yards and a young bull came out of the brush. We stood there waiting and waiting. He finally made us and took off and the rest came out and followed him no shot. Looks like the old boys used the young one. The second day put in 8 miles. Pule had a mile checker. The third day up early again and I'm finding out buff hunting is a little tougher than I thought. We were back on the track again and we had a little more wind to work with. We finally had things go our way and got within 25 yards of a nice bull. Pule said take him on the shoulder. I got on the sticks and a small bush was in between me and the buff. Pule said to shoot but I thought if he would take one step he would be in the clear. He jumped and took off. I guess I should of shot though the little bush because he was gone in a flash. I felt kind of down after that. Went back to the lodge for lunch. We went back out later in the afternoon and got on some more tracks. It was getting pretty late in the day and we finally caught up with the buff at about 40 yards. pule said take the one on the left on the shoulder the 416 went off and the buff sagged with the shot just like on the tv shows. He ran about 20 yards and I shot again. I was pretty sure it was a hit. Pule said he knew the first shot was a good one. We tracked them into some thick stuff and the other bulls would not leave and it was rapidly getting dark. Jacques and CJ come with Bullet to help us it was completely dark by then. After much discussion it was decided to wait until morning which I was more than happy to do. They all assured me that he would not go far and the other bulls would leave him behind and he my even be dead. That night the lions were really noisy and I started thinking euro mount. Well day four we were up early and Pule, Francois, Albert, Herman, Anita, and Bullet the wonder dog toke off. Francois had a 416 rigby and Pule had a 500 nitro double. Albert found the track and within a short distance we found the buff standing in a clearing. I put a shot into his chest he staggered backwards but would not go down I put another round in his chest and he dropped. He let out a long death bellow. After much congratulations it was picture time and I had to admit it was the toughest and best hunt that I have ever had.

P1010160 (1).JPG
P1010149.JPG
P1010157 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Leonard!

very nice buff and it sounds like you had a great hunt. Congrats

Glad to see bullet is back in action.

Nice buff! Congrats on the hunt!

This only confirms my desire to go hunt Buffalo! Well done!

Wow! One fun sounding hunt and one fine looking Cape buffalo! Congratulations!

Nice Buff. They are such awesome creatures to hunt!

Congrats sir!!

The rest of my hunt was going to be spend looking for a duiker or a blue wildebeest with a nice hide for a rug. The duiker was going to be tough as we only seen them a dusk and the didn't just stand around. Driving around we did see some nice animals including sable.
P1010185 (1).JPG
P1010188.JPG
P1010193 (1).JPG

After all the times the blue wildebeest messed up our buffalo stalks they we're becoming harder to fine and were real spooky. Pule finally spotted areal old bull laying down. We drove on by and stopped to make a stalk into the wind. We got within a 100yards and set up on the sticks. After a while Pule decided to make a noise to see if we could get him to stand up. He stood up but all we could see was his head. Finally he toke a step forward and I let him have it. It was a good hit and he took off. Pule to get his dog Simba some work so he got Albert and Anita to bring him up to the site of the shot Off he went and he found the wildebeest dead he had ran into a tree. Simba attacked him and pretty much toke the credit for the kill. He was a very old management bull but had a nice bridled hide. He will make a nice rug. Never did get a duiker but seen a ton of steenbuck. I feel I had a very good hunt with a first class outfit. We ate great steaks and as Pule said we may run out of bullets but never beer.
P1010212.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.