SOUTH AFRICA: August 2021 Plains Game Hunt With KMG Hunting Safaris

Great report, thanks for taking the time to document it!

I really like your rifle!

Outstanding trip sir. I like how JV2’s pictures add to the overall feel of the terrain and scenery. I am really amazed at how similar it looks to AZ/NM. Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt with us. Please tell us more about your rifle.

As I have seen in every KMG report, awesome trophies! You did well sir! Congratulations on an excellent hunt!

Beautiful hunt and report, congrats on some fine animals taken. BTW, can you give us a bit more info on your rifle, caliber, reloads/factory ammo used. Thanks for taking us along.

What a great hunt. Thanks for posting.
Glad to do it. The information and expertise gleaned from this website was instrumental in providing much of the knowledge required to undertake this safari in the first place. Any success that we managed to achieve has deep roots here on AH.

Outstanding trip sir. I like how JV2’s pictures add to the overall feel of the terrain and scenery.
Yes, he took quite a few photos portraying the hunt, including all of the “action shots,” which freed-up Nick and me to attend to our own tasks. Of course, he also helped glassing for game and thus was a full participant in the safari rather than solely the photographer.

For his part, Nick was meticulous about positioning for the “trophy” snapshots and took the majority of those with his smartphone. Although we razzed Nick about all the various poses and the repositioning, it yielded a number of really nice photos. I also took a few with an inexpensive digital camera. Between the three of us, there were close to 600 photos to sift through after the hunt.

Beautiful hunt and report, congrats on some fine animals taken. BTW, can you give us a bit more info on your rifle, caliber, reloads/factory ammo used. Thanks for taking us along.
Thank you. The rifle is a Sako Finnbear chambered in .30-06 Springfield, and as you’ve probably noticed, it came from the factory with an 18-1/2” barrel and a full Mannlicher-style stock. With the short barrel, it should perhaps be more properly categorized as a “carbine” rather than a rifle, but regardless it shoulders smoothly and it is a tack-driver with a load that it likes. It’s topped with a Lisenfeld 3x9 scope, a first-focal plane optic from a manufacturer which is sadly no longer in business.

It served as my scoped hunting rifle for many years until I switched over to a single-shot several years ago. But it seemed prudent to bring a "magazine rifle" along on an African safari, so out it came.

Although I usually practice (and hunt) with reloads, for this safari I chose to use factory loads; specifically Federal Vital-Shok with 180gr. Nosler Partitions. They do the job and do it well.

Good report. You took some very nice animals. A "proper hunt" as some would say. Its always fun to get that animal thats been eluding other hunters in the past. Good job and thanks for writing about it.
Bruce

You took some fine trophies but none better than your warthog. What a beast.
Really enjoyed your report.

You took some fine trophies but none better than your warthog. What a beast.
Really enjoyed your report.
Thank you. I almost wish that we had a video of the five of us running through the tennis court. But then again, it allows me to relate the story without the constraint of documentary evidence. So it's likely that the tale of taking that warthog will get better and better with each subsequent retelling! :D

Excellent hunting and a great report! Thanks for sharing and congratulations @Troubleshooter !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross