SOUTH AFRICA: An Aussie, Welshman & Texan In Camp With KMG Hunting Safaris

"I still had the desire and time for one more hunt."

Mark, Now that you are at home, how is the desire?????

Markvm, I don't know what you do for a living but you might want to consider writing, excellent read! I have had the pleasure of chasing Nyala in the exact same spot and incidentally using the same viewing platform!
Cheers adgunner appreciate the feedback, just inspired by the experience I think, beautiful country, some hard work and saving ahead next few years, we will be back!

"I still had the desire and time for one more hunt."

Mark, Now that you are at home, how is the desire?????
Hi Neale, as you had warned me its a hunters paradise for sure, still a bit awestruck even though I am home already! I will return, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Diker.............

Congrats for a great experience, Mark.

Excellent animal quality, stunning nyala!

Day 11 – 5th May, Early start up at 05:30, needed to get to the block as first light was just showing. A short drive up the road to the same block as we had hunted the Springbok. As we drove along the entrance into the property we stopped a couple of times to glass the dewy grass flats, we saw a number of Steenbok, both in pairs and individual animals, but they were sharing the ground with Impala and Blesbok so it was going to be difficult to get close to these guys, as soon as the ute stopped, off they would go. We drove into the concession and took the road in a circle to come back to walking distance of the grassy flats we had driven through earlier. We began the walk hoping to come up behind the Steenbok we had seen at first light. We spotted a pair of Steenbok in the open amongst other animals, but they were alerted to us early by their grazing friends and took off at a bolt in the opposite direction. We pursued the pair across a number of valleys and through some treed areas we were hoping they may have gone to ground but not a sign of them. Oli went back for the ute while we continue onto some fresh ground but no Steenbok to be seen. We eventually walked a circle back to the roadway where Oli was waiting in the ute. Oli reported he had just disturbed a Steenbok ram along the roadside about 500m back, we took the road up the hillside behind where Oli had seen the lone animal. We stopped to walk and glass a couple of areas looking down the hillside onto some healthy green flats. The weather was glorious and warming up, we glassed from some beautiful vantage points with magnificent views of the distant escarpments and highlands, catching the occasional sight of Kudu, Impala and Blesbok. It looked like the Steenbok had gone into cover for the day. Martin remarked we are probably passed the best of the day hunting these jumpy little critters. We headed back for a late coffee and an early lunch at the lodge, before an afternoon siesta. About 4pm we prepared to go out after our Steenbok again, Martin thinking our best chance would be at last light given these guys are mainly nocturnal feeders. This time Oli drove the ute while Martin and I sat in the tray to see if we could spot a Steenbok from a better height while trying to cover some feeding areas before dark. We drove the roadways in the concession but only saw a couple of younger animals, one male and a female on another occasion. We begun the return journey hoping we may get an opportunity in the higher open country where we had seen the most animals this morning. Soon we were amongst the flats and getting closer to the property boundary when Martin told Oli to stop the truck, I saw nothing but Martin had seen a ram on our right about 200m away. We got out while Oli and Sharyn continued driving down the road hoping this would relax the ram. We walked in the direction Martin had last seen the animal, there he was, just making a short run before propping and raising his head to see what was going on. That should have been his last mistake. At about 180-200m Martin put the sticks up but at first I couldn’t make him out, there he was, take the shot. You missed high was Martin’s reply, I could make out the dust fly behind the ram. Dam, he was off bounding away like cross between a rabbit and a dog, he disappeared into an area of low tussock, Martin thought he had gone to ground. We walk quickly in a large arc hoping to get around behind the ram while he was in the tussock cover, we stopped and glassed a couple of times, no sign of him. We eventually got around to where we thought he’d gone to ground, no luck we could not see him and the light was rapidly fading. We headed back a little dejected the plan almost worked, when all of a sudden the ram sprung to his feet in front of us, we had walked much further behind him than we thought. He bolted towards the low fence line and roadway. No chance now I thought, Martin had set the sticks up, I rested the rifle but kept watching the fleeing animal make for a line of trees near the fence. I watched the gap on the left side of the tree line waiting hoping he would come out, and he did. The ram was still running to the fence line, I thought he was close to under the fence and gone, but he stopped and look almost broadside slightly quartering. Not sure how far it was, maybe a bit more than 200m to 250m, he was little in the scope at 9x, the 180grn bullet caught him a little above the shoulder and he dropped a foot short of the fence. Martin and I almost raced each other to the ram, as he commented that he’d hoped it was the same animal he original saw as everything happened so quickly in the low light. Wow, the ram was magnificent, I can understand why hunting these little antelope can be so addictive. I was ecstatic with the shot, Martin remarked it was probably my best of the trip. It was an incredible way to finish an amazing hunting trip to the dark continent.
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG

Final Evening and The Round Up – 6th May, There was a relaxed air on the final night in camp, lots of smiles, far more relaxed conversations, everyone was happy with their results I believe, I certainly was. I don’t think it is any mean feat to take in three groups every fortnight and ensure all their personal and hunting desires and expectations are met. Certainly from my point of view and by the looks of the Texan’s and Wale’s camps, on this occasion all expectations appeared to be met but I think likely exceeded. I am sure that the majority of outfitters in the East Cape, South Africa, work hard to and are successful at exceeding the expectations of their hunting clients, and I commend them for that. It has been a lifetime experience for myself and Sharyn, I can’t think of anything KMG and Marius’s team could have done better. All gratitude to Marius who managed the team ensuring not only his group but all the visitors to Mpunzi were treated like kings and queens. A very special thanks to our PH Martin, although half my aged his demonstrated experience, knowledge and hunting skills were first class, I kept up most of the time with the long legged youngster, hopefully he did not find it too frustrating. A great job from tracker skinners Lloyd and Oli who could not do enough of the hard stuff for us. Graham and Michelle who ensured we were kept well fed, warm and very comfortable. Lunches were never too late for Graham to whip us up something and Michelle created some terrific game meals which we appreciated and enjoyed immensely, those deserts were especially memorable, and the rest of the supporting staff were excellent, rooms were always clean and tidied up and washing all done daily.

Would I have changed anything, nothing I can think of, except I would not take my rifle again, although I enjoyed using my rifle and hand loaded ammunition, been able to use a rifle with a moderator has too many advantages to one without. I fear for the future of this magnificent and ancient country and can only hope for the continued hunting traditions which ensure the future survival of many amazing African animals. We will be returning, some hard work and saving should see us returning in the next 3 to 5 years. Marius please keep some good quality, Blue Wildebeest, Hartebeest, Eland, Waterbuck, and others freely available for our return. A visit to Hunters and Collectors Taxidermy and then four gruelling travel legs, 18 hours of air time and we will be home, man we must be keen hunters, is it worth it, my oath it is! Lots of amazing memories and emotions in finishing this trip and writing this account, hope it was not too long winded for you.

All of us
IMG_3996.JPG

The AH team, myself, Sandrat, Marius and Dudders, everyones happy!

IMG_4000.JPG

The hard working tracking team
IMG_4004.JPG

At the gates with my amazing lady who had to put up with my ramblings for the last 14 months!
IMG_3948.JPG

Outstanding write up mate, and some wonderful trophies.

As a fellow Aussie who has just returned from his first safari this week, I know exactly how you are feeling. Awesome, isn't it?? ;)

blacks

Great report. Thanks for all of the details. Nice pics and some very nice trophies. You did well. Bruce

Outstanding write up mate, and some wonderful trophies.

As a fellow Aussie who has just returned from his first safari this week, I know exactly how you are feeling. Awesome, isn't it?? ;)

blacks

Cheers Blacks, it certainly is mate, can only encourage more Aussie's to get over there and live the dream! because nothing compares as far a hunting trips go! great trophies you hunted by the way, excellent Kudu and that old Springbok.
Markvm

Well done Mark.
A great write up and fantastic trophies.

Cheers Blacks, it certainly is mate, can only encourage more Aussie's to get over there and live the dream! because nothing compares as far a hunting trips go! great trophies you hunted by the way, excellent Kudu and that old Springbok.
Markvm

Thank you, mate. Now the anxious wait for our trophies to get to the other side of the world!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you