South Africa Airways Operations Update

I double checked. My flight was on SAA Express, not Safair. They were the substitute for this year.

United has cancelled EWR to JNB flights until June 3, 2021.

From what I've researched, QATAR is now the only game in town for U.S. travelers and that's with a stop in Doha.
There are others like Ethiopian and KLM.

I think SAA had been struggling for sometime, CV19 just brought issues to a head.

Scrummy

I will be flying Ethiopian from Washington DC in mid April to Johannesburg SA and on to Port Elizabeth. Not bringing any rifles and will use my PH's rifles available (7mm RM or 300 WM). I went this route from the get-go as I thought it would be easier for me on my first trip to Africa. Now I'm on my 4th attempt? to make my trip happen.

We are flying Qatar - Boston to Doha to JNB in May, then FastJet to Vic Falls and back to JNB 2+ weeks later for a few days, then AirLink to Port Elizabeth and back 1+ week later, then Qatar back to Boston. All with firearms and reasonable extra baggage fees. Beware AirLink out of Zim to anywhere - 20 kg max luggage. Extra at $10 a kg. Correct. US$10 per kg!!!!!

Uncertainty of flights to and from RSA is the reason I booked through Emirates to go to Harare end of July instead of using my existing vouchers with THY to JNB and back.

Why? We are better off now than what we were last year. We have more airlines now flying with firearms domestically and there are endless options on international flights. United also have the option direct from Newark to JHB.
Agree, things are normalising fast. The more that use these opened up services the better gets. Have you taken a look at SA and Zim covid stats lately? Curves have nose dived, looking good.

We are flying Qatar - Boston to Doha to JNB in May, then FastJet to Vic Falls and back to JNB 2+ weeks later for a few days, then AirLink to Port Elizabeth and back 1+ week later, then Qatar back to Boston. All with firearms and reasonable extra baggage fees. Beware AirLink out of Zim to anywhere - 20 kg max luggage. Extra at $10 a kg. Correct. US$10 per kg!!!!!
Does Airlink charge these prices from JNB to Botswana??

With AirLink, almost every internationalevery flight to/from RSA has different excess baggage charges. 20 kg is the permitted baggage. My wife and I are touring, then hunting Zim, then touring, then hunting RSA, then home. We have 2 carry-ons, three checked bags and a rifle case - over $1000 in excess baggage charges with AirLink to Zim and return. FastJet allows a carry-on and 1 checked bag on their cheapest flight. It is $30 for an extra checked bag. Instead of $1000++, we paid $120. You need to check AirLink's web site for the excess baggage charges for the different countries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg