South Africa Air & Airlink

Charlie P

Reaction score
Member of
NRA
I found out this morning that South Africa Airways has severed relations with South Africa Airlink. I was flying to Maun and also back Joburg and Port Eliz. I received notification from nobody but discovered my bookings were canceled when I tried to reschedule. To rebook I need to do so directly with Airlink. The money I gave SA Airways is confiscated. All they will allow me to do is rebook to somewhere else they continue to service.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
I found out this morning that South Africa Airways has severed relations with South Africa Airlink. I was flying to Maun and also back Joburg and Port Eliz. I received notification from nobody but discovered my bookings were canceled when I tried to reschedule. To rebook I need to do so directly with Airlink. The money I gave SA Airways is confiscated. All they will allow me to do is rebook to somewhere else they continue to service.

WOW that’s a rip off!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Not even a thank you very much for tour donation. Nice. :rolleyes:

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
How infuriating! It seems like airlines are being a real pain right now.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
SAA is a cadaver and I wouldn't touch anything that has to do with them. I can't get a refund let alone reschedule for a May flight on SA Express.

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Figured this was going to happen. Used Lufthansa and SAA for our supposed March trip. Lufthansa cancelled the ticket on March 10th but did refund us. Rebooked on the 11th with Delta and then cancelled on the 12th the date we were supposed to fly out to SA. Got that money back also but took a little effort. Now we are waiting for our June trip with Lufthansa. This is a different trip.
Lufthansa cancelled the SAA portion of the trip from JNB to PLZ and moved us to Mango. Wonderful except they don't take firearms. As we are always told it is better to book your trip all on one ticket. Not in this case! We asked Lufthansa to cancel the SAA/Mango portion so we could book with a carrier who took guns. Lufthansa said no we could only cancel the complete ticket. We argued that we had booked for firearms noted multiple times but they said to bad that Mango was our option. June is a long way out and Mango says they are working on permission/licencing to take firearms. At this point we will just wait for 6 weeks and see how things are going. If we can't take our own firearms it won't be the end of the world but almost. Just have to see if things are moving by then or not!! The airlines are losing income hand over fist and are becoming hard to deal with even on common sense issues. I don't need a credit for six months as the chances are I won't be able to use it. If an Airline can't get the job done then give me my damn money back. Their is my rant for 6 days of quaratine.

Newby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, North America, UK, Central Asia
Airlines everywhere are absolutely swamped and fighting to stay afloat.

My dealings withh SAA and Airlink in the route cancellation shakeup were fine. A little different from what I am used to, but fine.

We need to cut a bit of slack to everyone getting crushed by this.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Airlines everywhere are absolutely swamped and fighting to stay afloat.

My dealings withh SAA and Airlink in the route cancellation shakeup were fine. A little different from what I am used to, but fine.

We need to cut a bit of slack to everyone getting crushed by this.

Have an emergency on the ticket buyer's end and see how much "slack" you get. When the carrier cancels a flight you paid for, it's time to get your money back. Other airlines in the U.S. are doing it but not SAA.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Even more bad news....
Checked with my travel insurance......
Because SAA, booked me on Mango instead of Air Link, and I had booked with weapons on SAA, Mango isnt authorized to transit weapons, and most likely will not receive authorization: even though SAA is in bankruptcy and canceled flights....travel insurance most likely will not cover the loss...

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Even more bad news....
Because SAA, booked me on Mango instead of Air Link, and I had booked with weapons on SAA, Mango isnt authorized to transit weapons, and most likely will not receive authorization: even though SAA is in bankruptcy and canceled flights....travel insurance most likely will not cover the loss...
Why do you say Mango will probably not get approved for firearms? Do you have some insider info?

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Hunted
Airlink carries firearms but their schedule is problematic.

Ridge Runner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
East Cape, South Africa
Why do you say Mango will probably not get approved for firearms? Do you have some insider info?

I received opinionated info this morning,'.....that as slow as things move in SA...'; '......Mango's, paperwork for approval to transport weapons is in limbo.....'; '.....and is being further delayed because of the covid19 pandemic....and shutdowns....'.

"Not to get my hope's up that Mango will be approved to transport weapons anytime soon, if ever."

As an optimist, Mango could be approved today or hopefully by the end of 2020. Realistically besides this Coronavirus pandemic has South African politicians ever rushed to get something done?

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
So you know as much as the rest of us!

Bushpig4Ever

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
Mango won‘t allow weapons, never ever. That‘s why I couldn‘t hunt in Zimbabwe at BVC because of SAA‘s strike on November 18. The hunt was postponed to April 13. Again cancelled, now because of coronavirus...

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Never is a long time. I never thought I would have to cancel a hunt due to a virus. I never thought I would have a mandatory quarantine at home. I never thought I would have to spend days listening to stats on every form of media. I never thought I would not be able to take my own firearms on a hunt. I never thought there wouldn't be new hunt reports on AH. Never is a long time no matter how long or short.
Mango won‘t allow weapons, never ever. That‘s why I couldn‘t hunt in Zimbabwe at BVC because of SAA‘s strike on November 18. The hunt was postponed to April 13. Again cancelled, now because of coronavirus...

wesheltonj

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, HSC
Hunted
USA, RSA
Previously, Airlink ticketed under SAA ITA code. The announcement of SAA citing routes cuts stated that Airlink would be ticketing under their own ITA code. If memory serves me correct, ticketed passengers were to have an option for Mango or Airlink but Airlink would be on Airlink ITA code. I have no suggestions as neither airline may be around after the Covid 19 closings.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
SAA is a cadaver and I wouldn't touch anything that has to do with them. I can't get a refund let alone reschedule for a May flight on SA Express.
Wow so much trouble lately!

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Figured this was going to happen. Used Lufthansa and SAA for our supposed March trip. Lufthansa cancelled the ticket on March 10th but did refund us. Rebooked on the 11th with Delta and then cancelled on the 12th the date we were supposed to fly out to SA. Got that money back also but took a little effort. Now we are waiting for our June trip with Lufthansa. This is a different trip.
Lufthansa cancelled the SAA portion of the trip from JNB to PLZ and moved us to Mango. Wonderful except they don't take firearms. As we are always told it is better to book your trip all on one ticket. Not in this case! We asked Lufthansa to cancel the SAA/Mango portion so we could book with a carrier who took guns. Lufthansa said no we could only cancel the complete ticket. We argued that we had booked for firearms noted multiple times but they said to bad that Mango was our option. June is a long way out and Mango says they are working on permission/licencing to take firearms. At this point we will just wait for 6 weeks and see how things are going. If we can't take our own firearms it won't be the end of the world but almost. Just have to see if things are moving by then or not!! The airlines are losing income hand over fist and are becoming hard to deal with even on common sense issues. I don't need a credit for six months as the chances are I won't be able to use it. If an Airline can't get the job done then give me my damn money back. Their is my rant for 6 da\ys of quaratine.
We are all ready to rant thats for sure and airlines are despicable! I've had domestic flights cancelled this week and I am not happy. At least I am quarantined at a beautiful ranch with green grass, a creek that is running, a nice shooting range, and a fairly nice selection of guns to shoot. Anyone want to come out and quarantine with me? Nice whiskey and great shooting opportunities :E Dancing:

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
Even more bad news....
Double check it must cover the loss.

Philip Glass

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
Hunted
I don't agree. Mango is a, how do we say it nicely, a value based airline? That means they don't do anything they don't have to in order to keep fares really cheap. They realize there is an opportunity to get more business due to SAA changes and will get the firearm thing done at some point. This is my opinion of course. I am always an optimist.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuongdinhyen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.