SOUTH AFRICA: Adroda Safaris Hunt Report

I want to thank your Photographer for ensuring your report had excellent images to help your story along!
Relayed to her, she says thank you! I should have rented the 300mm Pro lens for this trip with the area so wide open. The 40 - 150mm Micro 4/3rds Pro lens she has is portable for walking all day but a little lacking in reach this trip, she did her best!

Relayed to her, she says thank you! I should have rented the 300mm Pro lens for this trip with the area so wide open. The 40 - 150mm Micro 4/3rds Pro lens she has is portable for walking all day but a little lacking in reach this trip, she did her best!
Always hard to pack enough lenses to meet every situation. She did a good job

Day 8 – Wednesday 16 June 2021:

The cold wind from the evening before continued through the night and it was cold climbing out of bed in the morning. Michelle snuggled under the covers even further and decided she would just stay and sleep in today. We had been pushing hard with the long trip down to Umkomaas Valley for the Nyala on Monday and the long day we put in yesterday. I thought about sleeping in myself, for a split second! For the morning’s hunt, there won’t be any pictures!

Repeat from the day before, head to the farm we visited yesterday. We started glassing the hillside where the sun was shining and there they were, a herd of Mountain Reedbuck! Nestled into a depression where they could soak up the sun and stay out of the gusty cold winds. We were over 1000 meters from them, how do approach them for a shot as they are positioned where an approach from the top would be very difficult without spooking them and they had a good view of below. Plan formed, we would circle around to our right and drive up to the base of the hill along a fence line. They won’t be able to see us due to the curve of the hill and then we would try and move back left. The only danger, if we could see them they could see us, and we weren’t sure of the distance from where we could take a shot except it would be long.

Let’s give it a go and we begin to execute our plan, as we approach the fence line a Common Reedbuck jumps up out of the flay and bounds out in front of us and tries to jump the fence and gets himself high centered! After a few struggles he falls back onto our side and parallels the fence to the right. Though for sure he was going to bust the Mountain Reedbuck. We start off to our left and only make it a few yards before we can see the Mtn Reedbuck and they are watching us closely. I slide out the downhill side of the truck, grab my tripod and 300 Wby, the wind is howling.

I get set up and have a decent hold, Adrian has lasered the range at a tad over 400 yards. I can make this as I dial in the range on the elevation dial and promptly miss high and left, try making an adjustment but still missing by a mile twice more as I can see the bullet splashes in the rocks as they put some distance between us. They finally have had enough and disappear up over the hill. I’m really disappointed in my shooting.

I probably added too much elevation for the steep uphill angle and the heavy gusty wind just kicked my butt. Feeling pretty low as this may be my only chance at a Mtn Reedbuck as they were hard to find. Adrian had explained to me earlier in the trip there used to be a very healthy population of Mtn Reedbuck in the area but over the past few years had become harder to find. At the same time, the number of Vaal Rhebok had gotten much higher. Interesting, I wonder with the number of Jackals we had been seeing if that was a factor?

We went around the mountain and came in from the top hoping to have another chance but nothing. Adrian and I walked the entire mountainside seeing if they had found another place out of the wind but nothing. Sukkie ended up picking us up at the other side of the property boundary and we headed back for brunch. The thoughts starting to creep in, would I be able to complete the Reedbuck/Rhebok Slam?

After a hearty brunch we needed to come up with a plan for the evening, we would be shooting relatively close to a farm house, cattle and horses. Adrian had a Howa in .243 Win with a suppressor but had a night vision sight installed for night hunting. We sorted through his parts to install his scope but came up short, we would have to make a trip into town to visit Shannah’s father who was an avid shooter.

I thought for a minute, why don’t we use my Zeiss scope that is also mounted on a rail from the 6.5x284 Christensen Arms and install it on the 243 rail! I had the correct wrenches in the kit I brought along and in minutes we had it mounted. We made some adjustments to the scope and had it sighted in and ready to go, about 1 ½ inches high at 100 yards which should put us just a little low at 200 yards, the ammunition would be 100 gr Winchester Power-Point. The trigger has a long long pull, not like the crisp Triggertech’s I have in both the 300 and 6.5x284, but it will do! Adrian was expecting shot ranges to be less than 100 yards, keep that in mind!

IMG_8930 243 Win rotated.jpg

High grade ammo!
IMG_8931 243 100 grain Ballistics.jpg

Ballistics Table for the 100gr Power-Point

We position ourselves on top of a small hill overlooking the corn fields and flay surrounding us, it’s a little early yet but a few Reedbuck were starting to emerge.

IMG_6653 Glassing for Reedbuck.jpg

My team (Sukkie, Adrian and Michelle) looking for Mr Big!

I’ve nestled myself in amongst some boulders catching some of the sun’s warmth while watching a nice buck on the neighbor’s side of the fence feed along the edge of the flay and corn field. Adrian and Michelle were a few yards away from me chatting like kids at the school lunch table. I can only catch bits and pieces of the conversation as the wind was gusting along but there was a Buck and Doe that had gotten up on an adjacent property, 1300 meters away. Adrian was trying to point out the area to Michelle to see if she can get a photo and then enlarge it to have a better look.

Adrian’s now excited, he’s a big one! Big deal, I thought, unless they are coming our way I’m just going to stay nestled down in my warm spot! Minutes are passing away as the sun is getting close to the horizon, and I hear “they have jumped the fence”. All ears now! Here is what Adrian and Michelle had come up with prior to the pair jumping the fence but they never share with me:

IMG_6636 Reedbuck in the distance.jpg

Reedbuck in the distance - see red circle

IMG_6636 (4)_Distant cropped.jpg

The Reedbuck Male

We race back through the rocky field, jump in the Cruiser, head down the hill and enter the far pasture thick with blackjack thorns, we hesitate for a minute while Adrian thinks through his plan and Michelle snaps a couple photos of Wattled Cranes out in the adjacent pasture approximately 400 yards away.

IMG_6639 Wattled Crane cropped.JPG

Wattled Crane Pair

IMG_6640 Fully Spead wings.JPG

Wattled Crane with wings fully spread

Time for a quick note on the Wattled Crane’s. They stand 5 to 5.5 feet tall, a wingspan of 7.5 to 8.5 feet and weigh about 8.5 pounds. They are the largest Crane in Africa, the tallest flying bird native to Africa and are known to inhabit wetland areas in alpine grasslands.

Back to the hunt, the Reedbuck have bedded down in the thick blackjack and we are not exactly sure where. The belief is they will drink out of the pond at the base of a small hill at the end of the pasture before heading to the cornfield to feed. Adrian believes our best plan is to drive along the fence line and hike up the hill to try and spot them. Common Reedbuck will hold tight as long as they think you will pass them. We arrive at bottom of the hill and begin climbing up the side, we don’t make it more than 50 yards and the pair spooks and head directly away from us. Michelle is on her toes and gets a shot with her camera.

IMG_6602 Reedbuck running away.JPG

There goes our Big Common Reedbuck, hitting high gear away from us!

I scramble up to a boulder, sit down and rest the rifle on my offhand as I watch the pair get farther and farther away as Adrian keeps feeding me distances 160, 180, 200 yards. The wind is strong but almost dead in my face, nothing to worry about. They stop and look back but I need the doe to move out of the way as they pick their way along, he’s clear and I take the shot with a sound of a soft hit coming back. Hit him too far back, he stands facing away and then slowly walks away. We wait to see if he will lay down. He slowly heads left into a thick stand of blackjack and is in a shallow depression and I don’t have a shot. Patience, stay with it, keep calm. After a few moments we can see him moving from right to left but there isn’t a shot, now 240 yards away, one more step and I can see his chest and send the round.

Michelle is videoing the entire sequence and here is the second shot, you can see the gas exiting the muzzle. We originally spotted him from the far hill in the background of the photo.

IMG_6598_Moment(2).jpg

Shooting position

I watch him immediately collapse through the scope, followed by the thud of a solid impact. Fist bumps all around as we finally have our Common Reedbuck! The sun has set and we need to get some pictures, I’m about to start walking towards him and Adrian says we must drive or I’ll be covered from head to toe in blackjack seeds!

What a stud as he is heavy, tall horns and with great amount of forward curve! It was worth waiting as we had passed on so many Common Reedbuck over the past 7 days!

IMG_6657 Our Common Reedbuck cropped.jpg

Finally, our Common Reedbuck!

IMG_6660 top down view of Reedbuck.jpg

Top down view

IMG_6627 Ruger taking a nap.JPG

With his job done, Ruger takes a nap while we snap pictures!

IMG_6622 looking back to the hill.JPG

Looking back to the shot location on the hill and the last rays of the sun

Looking back to the hill where I took the shots from, believe it was the first large boulder on the left side of the hill. Both of the 100 grain Powerpoint bullets completely penetrated the Reedbuck, impressive performance from the .243 Winchester at distance. The Reedbuck measured out at 16 1/4” for those wondering, Roland Ward minimum is 14”. Wonder how many bucks we passed up that were over 14”!

IMG_6663 Braii Tonight.jpg

We finish off the night with a Braai as Shannah supervises Adrian's cooking :)

Last edited:
Great reedbuck. Congrats on a wonderful trophy.
Bruce

Awesome reedbuck, congrats!

I can’t believe all those fine fine trophies! And you certainly did your part at those longer shots! Lots of vast distances there. Well done sir!

Well done!

Congrats on a fine reedbuck ram.

Day 9 – Thursday 17 June 2021:

We head back to the farm where I had missed the Mountain Reedbuck hoping they would be back on our side of the mountain. Interesting cloud formation over the hills.

IMG_8885 UFO cloud cropped.jpg

“UFO” cloud

The clouds have moved in by the time we reach our hunting area and its grown windy and cold as we glass and search for Mountain Reedbuck.

IMG_6669 Day 9 cloudy and cold.jpg

Raw morning with the sun’s rays trying to come through

We can only find a group of Vaal Rhebok.

IMG_6674 zoomed Vaal.JPG

Group of Vaal Rhebok, male is lower left

IMG_6689 cropped flower.JPG

Still flowering in the Winter

All the animals seem to be hunkered down and we have gotten a bit of a chill. Time for some coffee and an early lunch in the town square. We are roughing it this trip!

IMG_8888 Fancy Coffee cropped.jpg

Fancy coffee

IMG_8890 Lunch cropped.jpg

Great sandwich for lunch!

Adrian ponders the plan for the afternoon and decides on a new property we haven’t hunted where there may be a Mtn Reedbuck. We arrive at the farm and begin the jolting ride up a two track to reach the high hills.

IMG_8891 Still heading up.jpg

Up Up and Away
Heading steadily upward to reach the highlands. Michelle is able to grab some shots of a Secretary bird that is “only” ~200 yards away!

IMG_6699 Secretary Bird Cropped.JPG

Secretary Bird

IMG_6702 cropped naked shins.JPG

Secretary Bird, long stilt like legs

IMG_6707 cropped secretary on horizon.JPG

On the horizon

We top out and begin looking and see a group of Vaal Rhebok on the crest of the hills, of course we have been seeing Vaal Rhebok everywhere since I had already taken one!

IMG_6714 Vaal on horizon cropped.JPG

Vaal Rhebok keeping an eye on us from above

We stop and glass some of the open areas, big country up here.

IMG_8892 Open country cropped.jpg

Wide open country

IMG_8894 cropped yellow flowers.jpg

More flowers in the high country

yellow flowers close-up.PNG

Close up view

We begin heading over to the next deep valley to glass and spot Eland! Four bulls together soaking up the sun in the nook of the tallest hill.

IMG_6730 Eland resting cropped.JPG

Eland bedded

We bail out of the truck as I load the 300 Weatherby, snap the bipod into the Spartan fitting and sit down with my back against the tire. I’m steady but the biggest bull is covered by one of the smaller ones, far back to the right. Adrian gets a laser reading, 450 yards. I’m steady and locked-in but want to get closer if possible. Adrian and I backtrack back the way we have come and are out of sight of the Eland due to the small depression. We hustle over to the next hill and walk down to where we can see the bulls, now 300 yards away as I dial in .9 mils.

IMG_6733 Eland standing cropped.JPG

Eland aware and nervous
I get set up on the tripod, by this time all the bulls have gotten up, the big bull still covered by the smaller one. Shuffling my feet to get a solid hold, I step on Ruger who starts crying and the smaller bull in front gets nervous, tail swishing back and forth quickly as it steps forward and gives me an open shot at the big bull facing directly towards me. Ruger gets under my feet again and yips while Adrian grabs hold of him as I tell him I’m clear and taking the shot as they are about to bolt. Michelle is still back at the truck at 450 yards and is filming it all with her Olympus.

Here is the you tube video link of the shot:

I can see the impact of the bullet in the center of the chest and the shockwave as it ripples through the eland, they all turn and run, round the corner of the hill and disappear as the big bull leads the way. Adrian and I race after them but they are gone from sight and we can see for hundreds if not a thousand yards. I can see a woodcutter that is working on removing an invasive species in the next valley, he points to the direction the animals traveled. I yelled to him “how many” hoping the wounded eland had gone down over to his side of the valley. Woodcutter holds up 4 fingers and points in the direction of travel. I’m sick to my stomach.

Here's a sequence of stills from the camera frame by frame, Michelle was 450 yards away and the resolution is not quite good enough to actually see the bullet impact point. Big bull, 2nd from right.

1_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(2) zoomed.jpg

Right before impact

2_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(3) zoomed.jpg

Impact as the dewlap is sucked into the chest
3_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(4) zoomed.jpg

Next frame

4_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(5) zoomed.jpg

Next frame
5_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(6) zoomed.jpg

And next frame
6_IMG_6736_Eland Shot short version_Moment(7) zoomed.jpg

Beginning to spin away

Adrian finds a few drops of blood as he heads back to the truck, I stay on the track and follow a few dozen yards looking for the minute drops but don’t make much progress before Adrian brings the cruiser around. Sukkie immediately picks up the spoor and we follow a few drops of blood, Ruger is hot on the trail until we hit the neighbor’s fence. We must call and see if we can get permission.

It takes a bit and Adrian sorts it out and I can catch bits and pieces, we are good to track it, but who gets the money for the trophy fee? You have got to be kidding me…

Adrian and Ruger follow the track while Sukkie, Michelle and I find a gate and travel down a long ridge in the cruiser along a fence. Adrian and Ruger meet up with us and we figure they have gone over to the lake below us that also has some thick woods on one side. We hop over the fence and start down the hill but Sukkie whistles and waves at us from a couple hundred yards away, as he had continued along the fence looking for spoor. Adrian is now toting the 243 Win and quickly heads downhill to Sukkie as Michelle and I head back up the hill to cross the fence by a couple of posts near the Cruiser. I needed some water in a bad way as it had gotten very hot and I was feeling the altitude. I slug back a bottle of water and hear a shot from the suppressed 243 and take off as fast as I could without breaking an ankle. I cover perhaps 400 yards and round the side of a hill and see Adrian holding the 243 on Sukkie’s shoulder.

The four Eland bulls are down below us mixed in with a herd of cows! I’m huffing pretty hard and go past them a few yards as I wasn’t going to shoot over their heads. I sit down and try to find the biggest bull. There he is, I can see a sizeable hole in his dewlap/chest junction as the scope is bouncing all over the place, the eland is moving almost broadside from right to left. I squeeze off a round and the group takes off, I’ve overshot thinking the range was much longer than it was in reality. Adrian later tells me they were around 350 – 375 yards away. I shoot again and a third time as he begins to climb the next mountain and we can see the eland high tailing around the side of another hill into the distance. Adrian takes off after them as Sukkie and I circle around back to the truck.

Where is Michelle, she’s usually just a few yards behind us? After a few moments she rounds the side of the hill, she has twisted her ankle and is slowly hobbling towards us with a grimace on her face. Back in the cruiser, we head back up the fence line and cross back into the original land owner’s property and glass some of the deep ravines and wide plateau in front of us. Visibility is at least 1500 yards from our vantage. We glass and glass as time goes by, we motor forward to the head of a valley.

We can see Adrian and Ruger two ridges over, Sukkie thinks the Eland may have gone around the hill and says he is going to walk over the top of the next plateau and see if he can catch a glimpse. I walk over to the head of the ravine and find a good place to sit, this is a natural funnel, maybe they will come up this way if Adrian pushes them. There are many side ravines and hidden creases in this valley, maybe they have holed up?

It takes Adrian and Ruger a solid hour to get back to me and they both are parched. He has been following the Eland spoor and blood, the eland had passed within a few yards of me but must have done so before Sukkie, Michelle and I made it back to our vantage point. They sure covered some ground in a short time.

We were able to refresh a bit and follow the spoor uphill until they passed through an open gate in the fence line where it appeared the tracks split, with one track going left and the other tracks leading up a ridge of hard rocky ground to the right. Light was fading quickly and we made one more loop around the mountain, glassing into the deep ravines before it was too dark to see. It was a long drive back that evening and I was just sick with the thought of losing an animal.

We all watched the video of the shot over and over, it looks to be a good shot. We have dinner that evening and retire to bed. I watch the video on my ipad over and over, zooming in over the impact frames. What had gone wrong, did the 200 grain Accubond over-expand even at 2500 fps or was it deflected by hitting the base of the dewlap? It wasn’t a good night’s sleep.

That’s a terrible way to end a hunting day especially on something like an eland bull then all night to replay it in your mind. Did you have an opportunity for a second shot straight away or could you not see them again from position where you shot? I hope this cliffhanger has a good ending.

Eland are big tough animals. My only lost african animal was an eland. Bullet hit a branch on its way to him..... Hopefully you are able to find yours......
Bruce

That’s a terrible way to end a hunting day especially on something like an eland bull then all night to replay it in your mind. Did you have an opportunity for a second shot straight away or could you not see them again from position where you shot? I hope this cliffhanger has a good ending.

At the shot, the four bulls dipped partially below line of sight before appearing and then rounding the hill. I didn't want to shoot the wrong bull and held off on sending another round.

Day 10 – Friday 18 June 2021:

I’m up early before anyone else as usual, I need to get my head right after yesterday’s $hit show. The weather is awful as I step outside with my coffee, heavy fog. Not good for trying to spot an eland at long range. Adrian walks up from the house and we are talking about the fog and decide to wait a few minutes to let it lift before heading back up the mountain to look for the eland.

Adrian’s phone rings and I hear a one-sided conversation. A couple of guys waterfowl hunting down on the valley floor have spotted a lone eland moving slow on the side of the mountain, very close to where we lost the track yesterday evening. The eland would walk towards the stone fence row but wouldn’t jump it and had bedded down. We race off thinking there’s a good chance this is our eland!

We find the waterfowl hunters and they point up the hill, sure enough, there’s a big bull eland up there. We watch him for a bit and he doesn’t look to be going anywhere and with the sun coming out, may just bed down and soak up the sun. He’s too far to make out if he is our eland or any bullet impacts. We mark a couple of scraggly trees at the top of the hill, one of those is familiar and we know where to go and make a plan. We thank the fellas and head around the hill and begin the climb as we did yesterday.

We are able to drive the cruiser to the fence line that would lead us down the hill and come above the eland.

IMG_6748 to the eland cropped.JPG

Heading towards the Eland

We cross the fence and begin a slow walk over the crest of the hill and spot the eland the same time he spots us. He should have been one “bench” further down the hill but must have started walking up the hill along the fence line while we were bashing our way back up the mountain. I hear “that’s not him, that’s not our bull from yesterday, he’s a big bull but one horn is a bit crooked”. My heart sinks at the words.

Adrian asks, “Do you want to try for this one?”

I step a few paces forward for a better view and place the rifle on a fencepost, place my crosshairs on the bull following him, he goes to the right, then changes direction, takes a few steps downhill and circles to the left, never stopping.

IMG_6750 on the fencepost cropped.JPG

On the new bull
My mind is racing, I have a wounded eland somewhere and I must continue looking for him. Another thought quickly surfaces, I might as well shoot this one as he’s a great bull and then continue looking for the other one. The bull never stops moving and I’ve lost faith in driving an Accubond through the bull except for a complete broadside standing shot behind the shoulder. I’m thinking maybe if he stops broadside before jumping the fence and I’ve got a great hold, but he never hesitates and is over in a bound without hesitation.

I follow him as he proceeds up the hill to our left as Adrian gives me yardage updates. No, I’m not going to shoot him moving and he continues trotting and eating up the yards. What a gorgeous mountain eland bull.

IMG_6752 eland 1 cropped.JPG

IMG_6753 eland 2 cropped.JPG

IMG_6754 eland 3 cropped.JPG

Eland bull trotting away

We continue the search for the wounded eland, covering many miles but without any sign. A group of vultures is circling on the other side of the hill and Adrian takes a quick walk, could it be our eland? The vultures are coming from all over and have formed a vortex of birds from low to the ground to as high as you can see.

IMG_6770 vulture vortex.JPG

Vulture vortex

Adrian returns, no, the birds are just riding the thermals as they break up and scatter. We’ve covered a lot of ground this morning and I’m pretty bummed. We drive the same path as we did the day before, maybe he’s holed back up in the nook they were in yesterday. We start heading that direction but nothing except some Vaal on a far ridge.

IMG_6757 Vaal on the next hill.JPG

Vaal on next ridge

IMG_6760 Vaal buck keeping an eye on us.JPG

Vaal buck keeping an eye on us from behind a rock

Adrian’s glassing the opposite mountain, “there are mountain reedbuck on the front of the hill”. He and Michelle work on getting a photo with the camera to try and assess the ram but they are 1300 yards away, will need to get closer to tell if he’s a shooter.

On the way over to the Reedbuck hill, an Oribi ram makes an appearance.

IMG_6771 Oribi Ram cropped.JPG

Oribi Ram

We drive around towards the opposite hill and drive up the steep backside. Michelle’s foot is still tender from the day before and she stays in the truck while Adrian and I begin the walk out the long ridge. We reach the end but the Reedbuck have vanished. The wind is blowing pretty hard and we begin searching the down hill side. We don’t go more than 50 yards and they jump up and blow out, running down the hill as fast as they can go over the steep rocky ground. I’m up on the tripod as Adrian calls out the range, 160, 180, 200, 220 as I dial in additional elevation. “He’s a good one, just wait, they will stop…240 yards”. The buck slows to a stop but a doe is in the way, he turns and takes a few slow steps to the top edge of a steep drop heading severely away from me and comes in the clear. As this is going on my mind is telling me if he takes two more steps over the edge I won’t see him again until they come out on the flat below which will be 300 yards plus.

This will also be a good test for the Accubond as I send the round knowing there should be plenty of penetration from the 200 grain bullet. I may mess up the offside shoulder as it exits but the taxidermist will have to fix it. I can see the impact through the scope and the buck doesn’t go down. I’m shocked. He takes another step, wavers and goes down from the initial shot and is over the edge. I had placed the crosshairs at the junction of the right rear hip and body with a line to the opposite front shoulder.

Adrian radios Sukkie who brings the cruiser around the hill with Michelle who is still nursing her sore ankle. They were surprised at the call as they hadn’t heard the shot!

What a gorgeous little mountain antelope and I’ve taken the Reedbuck/Rhebok slam, last half of the last day. Bittersweet with not recovering the eland bull.

IMG_6806 cropped Mtn Reedbuck.JPG
IMG_8909 cropped full body.jpg

Mountain Reedbuck on last half of last day

IMG_6792 Ruger Photo Bombing.JPG

Ruger photobombing again and watching to make sure I don’t make off with HIS Reedbuck!

IMG_8898 view to top of hill cropped.jpg

Shot taken from the top of the hill, not a speck of cover!

View back up to the top of the hill from where I took the shot. The Mountain Reedbuck is a nice representative animal we worked very hard for, meeting the Roland Ward minimum of 6 7/8” with one horn and the other going 7 inches, will look great as a shoulder mount. The tips of the horns are surprisingly sharp!

On the way off the mountain, Adrian notifies the farmer we had taken a Mountain Reedbuck but couldn’t locate the eland. The farmer was going to send some of his farm workers into some of the ravines and lower level thickets to see if they could find him. One of the other farmers where we had hunted said he would also drive up over the weekend to see if he could locate the eland. One month later and the eland still hasn’t been found.

I have a suspicion the bullet pancaked upon entry and never entered the chest cavity. Take a look at the 200 grain Accubond recovered from the Mountain Reedbuck that had stopped at the far shoulder scapula without breaking it. Such a small lightly built animal without full penetration from a heavy for caliber bullet. The rapid expansion increases the frontal area and reduces the penetration, I wonder if they core is pure soft lead.

The performance is also erratic, from full angled penetration breaking the off shoulder on the Nyala at close to 2800 fps to not fully penetrating on a Mountain Reedbuck at 2575 fps. I may be done with Accubonds in Africa, I don’t like to be limited on shot angles. I would rather have full penetration at almost any angle and have them run a few yards versus the erratic performance. I’ve also included Nosler’s expansion profile for the Accubond below.

200 grain Accubond images, bullet retained 168 grains equaling 84% weight retention.

IMG_9676 bullet side view.jpg

IMG_9678 bullet top view.jpg

IMG_9679 bullet bottom.jpg

Not much shank left on the recovered 200 gr Accubond @ 2575 fps impact

AccuBond+Bullet+Mushrooms.jpg

Accubond expansion from Nosler’s website

Back at the farm, Adrian lets the hounds loose in the yard and they do laps burning off energy, until they noticed the open tailgate on the truck! In they go, thinking they are going hunting! Here’s a short video clip.

We had saved the backstraps out of the old fallow buck and prepared one of my venison dishes to share with Adrian and Shannah. Venison pepper steak (without a lot of peppers as Memory had used them for dinner the night before!), we may have all had seconds!

IMG_8951 Wife in her happy place cropped.jpg

Michelle pouring herself some red wine before dinner!

IMG_6839 Bon apetite cropped.jpg

Bon appetite!

IMG_6841 plated cropped.jpg

Plated Venison Pepper Steak

Ruger was so exhausted from eight days of hunting he could hardly move, poor old man! Yes, that’s him wrapped up tight in the blanket with his nose sticking out!

IMG_8954 Ruger exhausted cropped.jpg

Worn out Ruger

Final thoughts:

Adrian is an excellent young PH and I can highly recommend Adroda Safaris for any type of hunt in Southern Africa. From free range plains game to high fenced hunting he has it covered. He also hunts dangerous game to include Elephant, Hippo and Cape Buffalo from Zimbabwe to Mozambique as well as South Africa. He treats his hounds well and his specialty is running leopard with them, hopefully one day I can experience a leopard hound hunt!

His lovely fiancé, Shannah, was a wonderful host, Michelle and I enjoyed her company immensely! Memory, Sukkie and Patrick took very good care of us from having a fire going when we returned, taking great care in skinning/caping the trophies (I hung out in the skinning shed a bit!) to over feeding us with some wonderful dishes.

Well done Adroda Safaris! :D Cheers:

I’ll be posting Part 2 of our 2021 African adventure in the coming days, a cruise down the Zambezi River for 6 nights!

@Edge that was a fantastic hunt and a great report. You got some cracking trophies and held out for big animals.
I know how you feel about the eland. I lost a big kudu in Namibia and it consumed my thoughts for some time. Another good reason to go back.
Adrian is the real deal and a few of my Aussie friends have hunted with him and gave glowing recommendations

Great story, warts and all - thanks for taking us along.

Absolutely great hunting report @Edge ! Loved your writing style and you did get some amazing trophies! I know that fallow deer are not native, but your story sure gives me appetite to try for one in Africa. And too bad about the eland, I also looked at the video multiple times, and could not really find fault with the shot. Could it be that because the animal was facing you head on, that the bullet went in between the lungs and also missed the aorta? It does look a tad high.

and a big thanks to your wife, for all the pictures provided to liven up the story :)

Great report!

Sorry about the Eland but like you I have found them to be incredibly tough when a not so perfect shot is made on them. You did whatever you could to locate him afterwards.

That is hunting and if one hunts long enough a hunter will experience the loss of an animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you