Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Omay), New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
With the dearth of hunting reports due to Covid, I figured it was about damn time I finally posted my report from our 2018 safari with Francois Dorfling of @Umlilo Safaris. I actually put a fairly lengthy photobook together to memorialize the trip, which I'll add after this initial post.

After our first safari back in 2015, we couldn't wait to get back to Africa. This time, the species we were interested in was a bit more specific. Primary goals were giraffe, nyala, and gemsbok. Everything after that is gravy. On our first safari, we hunted the Kalahari in NWP and in Limpopo (hunting report: REPORT). We wanted to try some place new, so Francois' home turf in the Eastern Cape was perfect.

The hunt was a great success. We really enjoyed the mountainous terrain and the variety of concessions we hunted. Lots of wildlife all over the place. We highly recommend Umlilo Safaris, owned by Francois and his brother Johan. They are great hunters, very hospitable, and great friends.

Detailed write up to follow, but here's the highlights:
Outfitter: @Umlilo Safaris
PH: Francois Dorfling, (also did a bit of night hunting with his brother Johan)
Location: Kirkwood, near Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, Republic of South Africa
Rifle: Borrowed a 300 win mag
Species taken: Warthog, Zebra, Giraffe, Nyala, Gemsbok x2, Black Wildebeest, Jackal

full

Attachments

• DSC_0359.jpg
    24.7 MB · Views: 267
full

Prologue

A Return to the African Veldt

The summer of 2018 saw Jen and I leaving South Korea after a two year tour. It was a bittersweet departure, as we’d grown very fond of our lives amongst the Korean people and culture. Already, the summer’s sweltering heat and humidity were pressing in on the Peninsula and a vacation to South Africa’s winter would be a welcome reprieve. As with any move, and especially an intercontinental one, stress levels were high.

We sent our Doberman, Drogo, on his way as freight on KLM airlines. He was headed back to the USA, but the long way, via Incheon to Copenhagen to Los Angeles. Our little lap dog, Lexi, would fly with us on Korean Airlines direct to San Diego. At the check-in counter, the attendant initially refused Lexi claiming some issue with the veterinary paperwork. This brought Jenny to tears which ended up convincing the attendant to afford us some grace and soon enough we were relaxing in the first class lounge.

The flight was uneventful and upon arriving in San Diego, we rented a car and drove to LAX to pick up Drogo. Then it was an eight hour drive to my parent’s place in Tucson, affectionately referred to as their resort! We relaxed here for a few days and then checked Drogo into a kennel. Time for the second half of our trip- to Africa!

Before we departed Arizona, we had an unexpected encounter with some of Tucson’s own wildlife. We’d just dropped Drogo off at the kennel, while Lexi would stay with my parents. While everyone was getting ready for dinner, my Mom let Lexi out in the enclosed backyard. Lexi loves hunting little lizards amongst the rocks and cactus.

All of a sudden, the relative silence was cut by a chilling scream!

We all rushed to the back yard to see what had happened. My Mom was in shock as she recounted the story. She’d just walked to the back door to bring Lexi in when she spotted something that seemed like an out of place rock next to her beach basket. Lexi was on the other side of the backyard, hiding behind a large cactus bush.

The rock was no rock at all. It was actually a bobcat! The bobcat was sitting coolly next to the beach basket, staring intently at her intended dinner… Lexi! With my Mom’s shout, the bobcat turned away and smoothly hopped over the rock wall that encloses the backyard. We quickly bundled up Lexi and secured her back inside the house.

An assessment of the situation lead us to conclude that the bobcat had been watching Lexi for a few days at least. Each time Lexi went outside, Drogo went with her. The first time she went outside without Drogo, the bobcat decided to take advantage of the situation. Luckily, Lexi was saved at the last moment by my Mom’s arrival. Now we know to not let Lexi outside alone!

We flew from Phoenix to Atlanta and then on to Johannesburg. In Atlanta, we enjoyed some time in the Delta Lounge and happened to notice Reba McEntire! I also met and chatted with the CEO of Guns International at the bar. When at the Atlanta Delta Lounge, its always fun to try and figure out who all is headed to Africa on Safari. We’d find out soon enough once we boarded Delta Flight 200. After another uneventful but long flight, we touched down in Johannesburg. 40+ hours of air travel and 10+ hours of driving and we were finally back in South Africa!

full

I arranged for us to spend a night at the Africa Sky Guest House prior to continuing on to Port Elizabeth tomorrow. We grabbed our bags, no rifles on this trip, and met with our driver in the OR Tambo lobby to be whisked away to our lodging for the night. The Africa Sky is a true oasis, a peaceful sanctuary tucked away in the hustle and bustle of South Africa’s largest city. Its always the perfect place to rest and recover after a long flight, spoiled with excellent food, wonderfully comfortable rooms, and lush green gardens inhabited by all sorts of interesting jungle birds.

A short flight the next morning had us in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape Province. On deplaning, we noticed that the plane next to ours was surrounded by police officers armed with submachine guns- perhaps an important politician arriving in town. The Port Elizabeth airport is small and Francois met us at the exit. We were also joined by an elderly couple from Scotland on a cull hunt. Our luggage packed the bed of the Toyota Land Cruiser to the limit and the five of us crammed into the double cab.

full

Umlilo Safaris is located about two hours from the airport. We made our way through town relatively quickly and were then driving through the gently rolling hills of the Eastern Cape. Along the way we stopped for biltong- essential snacks for any African road trip. Biltong is African jerky and comes on many forms to include strips, chunks, sausages, etc. I find the wild game variants always taste best!

On the final approach to the Umlilo Lodge, we turned off the highway onto a side road. At the intersection, we saw some locals selling oranges. Francois related that this fruit is no good, locally known as waste fruit. The main agricultural business in the Eastern Cape is citrus farming. Fruit identified as unsuitable for grocery stores is discarded as waste fruit. The locals frequently gathered up the waste fruit and attempted to sell it to travelers. The good news is that the waste fruit is not actually wasted. Francois and other outfitters in the region have an agreement with the citrus farmers. The outfitters take the waste fruit off the farmer’s hands for free and use it to feed their animals. The antelope love the fruit and Francois suspects it may even help repel ticks. Further along the road, we spotted some monkeys on the side of the road, feasting on some waste fruit. They appeared happy as can be!

full

We reached a gate and Francois pushed a remote to open it. Finally! We’d arrived! A drive along the dirt trail, the final stretch lined with elegant white pillars on each side, led us up to the Umlilo Lodge. We first noticed an enclosed gazebo to our right, situated in the middle of a well-manicured lawn. Francois related that this was a place for relaxation and reading. Usually, no guests took advantage of it, preferring instead to spend their time out in search of Africa’s wildlife!

On our left was the lodge itself. We entered through a heavy wooden door into a courtyard surrounded by the various guest rooms. On the left and right of the entry portal were a laundry room and kid’s play room. Our room was above the entrance, with large glass doors that allowed us to look over the entire valley laid out before us. In the distance, we could just make out a herd of springbok meandering across a large, open plain. Our room consisted of a comfortable queen sized bed pointed towards the glass doors and an en suite bathroom.

full

After getting situated, we went down to the main floor, crossing the courtyard, into the building with the common areas. There was a large bar, actually built by Francois and his brother Johan out of old railroad lumber, with a large, open fireplace next to it. The fireplace was always great in the chilly evenings. Next, there was a lounge area with comfortable leather couches and then the dining room. The dining table was also built by Francois; round, with seating for ten, and a lazy Susan in the middle. Meals are served family style since Umlilo limits the number of guests at any given time.

full

full

All of the common spaces also have large glass doors that open onto a large balcony. The entire lodge is built on a bluff above a dried-out riverbed, with mountains behind and the valley in front. The balcony hangs over the riverbed and affords spectacular views of the valley, wildlife, and sunsets!

full

For dinner that evening, we were joined by some departing guests from England. One gentlemen was a proudly professed royalists while his friend was a staunch republican. Their banter over the latest royal family gossip and politics certainly kept dinner entertaining! Our meal consisted of Nyala stew with a savory rice, pumpkin fritters with a caramel sauce, salad, and lemon meringue for dessert- clearly this trip was going to do nothing to help my waistline! After the fine meal and a few post-dinner drinks, we turned in for a slumber filled with dreams of adventures yet to come in the days ahead.

full

Chapter I

Vlakvark at Dawn

full

Our first morning out hunting, Francois suggested we check a certain valley where there were almost always warthogs rooting about. We drove back into the mountain foothills and turned right into a valley. On our left, amongst the trees, we spotted the heads of a giraffe family, peeking out from the foliage like periscopes. They watched us inquisitively as we rolled by and then returned to nibbling on leaves in the highest branches.

The trail took us back up onto a small plateau, surrounded on both sides by a thick forest of paddle cactus. Throughout, we could see countless game trails winding through the cactus- not an area possible or desirable to stalk into and definitely not a place we’d want to follow up on any wounded game!

The trail began to open up in front of us and we stopped the truck, dismounting and quietly pushing the doors shut behind us. We walked along the trail, which continued down a slope into a thickly vegetated valley beyond. Francois began to glass, resting his binoculars on top of the shooting sticks. Soon, he found what we were looking for- a warthog!

After a detailed description from Francois, I was able to just make out the ass-end of the warthog sticking out from behind a bush. We decided to cautiously move forward, from bush to bush. Francois found a good spot, maybe 70 yards from the warthog, and set up the sticks. I got the rifle ready, but couldn’t see the pig yet.

Then, he emerged from behind a bush and fed out into a small opening, affording me a shooting lane through the bramble. His legs and belly were concealed by the brush, but I could see most of him. With a bit of concern about deflecting the bullet off a branch, I aimed about middle on the warthog and took the shot.

In a cloud of dust, our warthog and some others disappeared in a rush. Francois pointed to a spot maybe 25 yards further away, where another cloud of dust was being kicked up. He assured me the warthog was down and kicking his last. We approached and sure enough, there he was. Warthogs are quintessentially African creatures, one of the ugliest animals you can find, but so fun to pursue as a hunter. This particular warthog sported especially long lower tusks on both sides. Usually, these are worn down or broken off by the pig’s digging and fighting. This warthog’s lower tusks were nearly as long as his upper tusks! A great trophy to start the hunt off with!

full

It was still relatively early in the morning. What additional opportunities awaited us in the hours to come?!

Chapter II

Brothers

full

The two zebra stallions grazed through the brush together, making their way along the side of the hill. A moderate wind had whipped across the plains early in the morning but let up as the sun reached its zenith. The stallions were brothers and had stuck together since birth. They had separated from their heard a few years before, looking to set their own course. From time to time, they would seek out the mares, but that time had passed for now. Together, they formed a strong team. Between them, they could graze and rest without concern, knowing that the other would stand watch against any approaching threats.

Earlier in the day, they drunk their fill at the reservoir on the opposing hill. Since then, they’d worked their way through the valley, past the crumbling ruins of an old farm house, to where they now grazed. The brush on the hillside was thick and their stripes blended in nearly perfectly with the branches and leaves of the low trees.

One of the stallions raised his head from the leaves he’d been nibbling on and gazed towards the distant reservoir. He noticed a truck pulling up and stopping. It was not unusual for trucks to appear at the reservoir, and like the others before it, this one soon drove off the way it had come.

A light breeze drifted through the brush and the two stallions grazed into it, relying on the wind to carry warning of any approaching threats. The wind betrayed nothing and the brothers continued on their way with casual indifference, enjoying the midday sun’s warmth.

On our first safari, now two years hence, my father successfully hunted a zebra on the final day of the trip. The hide now graces their library, a majestic and uniquely African reminder of that wonderful trip. For this safari, Jen expressed interest in hunting a zebra to add to our own collection. Francois took us to a property of his that adjoined the main Umlilo concession, just to the south. At first glance the area appeared relatively flat with just a few rolling hills and an elevated reservoir at the southeast corner. As we drove towards the reservoir, a herd of springbok greeted us by bolting across the road, just in front of our truck. These graceful and energetic antelope, national animal of South Africa and namesake of their rugby team, either sprinted or bounded across. A few pronked, the uniquely springbok behavior of prancing high into the air with straight legs and arched back. As it always seems to happen, these antelope intuitively knew they faced no danger from us and took the opportunity to put on a playful display.

We continued on, following the winding road up to the reservoir. This manmade lake offered commanding views of the property. From here, it became apparent that the property was not as flat or featureless as initial impressions suggested. Instead, deep canyons and valleys offered ample sanctuary for game to disappear into. Despite this advantage, Francois quickly located two zebra stallions on a hillside facing us maybe 800 meters distant. It took a moment for me to find them, a testament to the strangely effective camouflage that a zebra’s black and white stripes offer.

While the straight-line distance to the zebra was not far, that approach would require making our way down into a valley and then back up the next hillside with minimal cover offered for the final approach. Francois decided we’d head back the way we came, making a large looping approach from a completely different direction.

After a short drive, the truck crunched to a stop. Through the low brush, we could make out the remnants of a farmhouse, now mostly consumed by the land. Few walls stood more than shoulder high. Through this ruin, we wound our way in a deliberate approach towards the distant zebra. Admittedly, even though I’m usually very good at maintaining awareness of my general location, I quickly lost track as we snuck around one bush and then another and another.

Francois indicated we should stop and crouch. We’d made it into the vicinity of the zebra, first stopping at 120 yards away, then 80 yards. Francois peered around the corner through his binoculars and confirmed the zebra. They were perhaps 60 meters in front of us, feeding behind another bush. His ability to keep track of these specific animals, animals we hadn’t seen since first spotting them from the reservoir, was truly impressive.

Their continued feeding and general lack of concern confirmed that our approach had proceeded undetected. None the less, we were now faced with a new challenge- how to get to a position for a shot. The direct approach offered no cover and no shot, as the zebra were firmly planted on the other side of another bush, completely obscuring them. After waiting a while to see if the zebra might move, Francois had us cautiously move to another bush to our right. In the process, the zebra caught a hint that something might be up. They gazed intently in our general direction, suggesting they didn’t know exactly where or what we were. This significantly reduced our options for continued approach, further compounding the fact that this new spot also failed to offer any shooting channels.

full

After a while of patiently waiting, a real challenge for me as I tend to fidget restlessly, a serious problem to effectively stalking in close on an animal, the zebra seemed to calm and return to feeding. Francois moved Jen to a new spot, next to a low prickly bush, and set up the shooting sticks. The zebra weren’t offering a shot yet, but at least we could make out their forms and distinctive stripes through the bushes.

As we waited, frustratingly, they moved in the wrong direction, further behind the cover. Francois repositioned Jen again, hoping for a change in our circumstances. Again, the zebra became aware of something suspect and then, they spooked. The two zebra took off running, seemingly having no intention of stopping before reaching Namibia.

I figured the stalk was over and we would reset, looking for a new group of zebra. Instead, Francois took off in hot pursuit, maintaining an aggressive pace. I’d long since lost track of the zebra as Francois lead us down into a shallow gully and then up the other side. We soon stumbled across a herd of cows, lounging in the shade offered by the low bushes. Cows are an interesting bunch. While generally very docile, purely as a function of their size they tend to make me uneasy in close proximity. We carefully wound our way around the herd and promptly stumbled across the two zebra! Again, they took off running and we continued our pursuit.

Emerging from the dense area of bushes into a small clearing, Francois called halt and peered through his binoculars. There they were! He’d spotted the zebra maybe 120 yards from us, past a row of bushes, in another large clearing. We cautiously moved across our clearing, keeping a single, medium-sized bush between us and the zebra. Immediately upon reaching the bush, Francois put the sticks up. Through the cover, we could see the two zebra, with the closer one facing directly towards us.

full

Francois talked Jen through the shot. She would shoot through a small opening in the bush, at the zebra’s chest, just below his snout. Jen calmly lined up the rifle and squeezed the trigger. With a resounding thud, she hit the zebra squarely, sending him galloping away. After only a few seconds, he stopped, wobbled, and collapsed into the grass. The second zebra, also running at this point, stopped and looked back for his companion. Then he ran a bit further and stopping, looked back again. Finally, deciding his friend’s case was hopeless, the second zebra ran off over the horizon.

full

The exhilaration of the successful stalk, combined with loyalty and concern exhibited by the second zebra, made for an emotional culmination to the hunt. We approached the downed zebra with respect and reverence in our hearts, appreciating his beauty and sacrifice.

full

Francois joked with Jen, wondering aloud if she might have some dust in her eyes. Jen respectfully patted the zebra’s flank and brushed dirt and sticks out of his majestic mane. On this, our second safari, we find that the emotion of the pursuit and our love for these fine creatures in undiminished. This is truly what pulls us back to this magical place.

As we prepare the zebra for some photos, a group of five or six cows approach us. They are inquisitive, wanting to inspect the zebra and see what all the commotion was about. It takes some shouting and waving about to keep them at bay. We load the zebra in the back of the truck and head back to the lodge, content with the day’s events and looking forward to a delicious dinner.

Chapter III

Last Light Nyala

full

Before first light, the eastern sky a dull glow of dark blues and purples faded into the black of retreating night, the nyala bull gave a shudder, arching his white dorsal crest and shaking the morning dew from his fur. He stepped from behind the bush concealing his location, to join with the other two bulls in his small bachelor group. The other two bulls were younger, having latched on to the older male, following his lead.

The bachelor group was deep in a canyon, tucked back in the mountain range, a safe place to spend the night. As the first rays of morning sun peaked over the mountain peaks to the east, the bull set off toward the emerging light, with his two compatriots in tow. Each morning they made this trek, from the lightly vegetated mountain canyons to the dense thorn brush of the valley. A group of female and young nyala, stark in their differing appearance, with reddish-brown, almost orange fur and prominent vertical white stripes, moved to their left, headed in the same direction.

full

A dirt road marked the division between the light brush and the thick, thorny vegetation of the valley – a contrast that traced its legacy to a rancher that over-farmed a portion of the land, leaving it drained of nutrients decades later. The group of females and young rushed across, minimizing their time in the open. The bull nyala would not be troubled to pick up his pace. The two younger bulls slipped into the thick cover of thorn bushes as the old bull paused in the road, looking towards the rising sun. In the distance, he made out a plum of dust rising as a dark green truck moved along the dirt road. Untroubled, he turned and continued into the thorns, blending in perfectly with the green and gray brush, vanishing from prying eyes to spend the day enjoying the warmth of the rising sun and the ample vegetation for sustenance.

We’d been looking for and pursuing nyala for a few days now. These majestic creatures, part of the spiral horn family, eluded us on our first safari. The nyala are smaller than the kudu, about the size of a large whitetail buck. The females are smaller than the males and sport no horns. The larger males are a dark grayish-brown color, with vertical white stripes. The white hair on their spines stands up straight when alerted, like a mohawk. Strangely, the lower third of their legs shares the same orange coloration as the females. They sport beautiful spiral horns, twisted into the shape of a lyre and they typically move in groups of either males or females.

full

After spotting groups intermittently and putting a few unsuccessful stalks in, Francois decided to get serious and put in a couple days of exclusive focus on the nyala. We headed to a property just across the highway from the Umlilo lodge, known as Thorndale. The name was apt, as much of the property was thick with impassable thorn bushes. This property was home to large quantities of nyala that followed consistent movement patterns, spending nights tucked away in canyons and days in the thick brush on the slopes of the mountains.

The morning saw us departing early to get to the Thorndale concession and then driving along the main dirt road that lead from the highway west, towards the mountains and lodge. The Thorndale lodge is perched on the face of a lower mountain, overlooking the valley. Already on the approach, we spotted multiple groups of female and young male nyala exiting the seclusion of spurs and draws, tucked away behind the first set of hills, as they transited the road and disappeared into the thick brush.

We followed a pass back into the valleys hidden behind the hills, looking for any stragglers that might not have moved into the thick brush yet. Our investigation of the valley proved unsuccessful, and so we followed a rough and narrow trail right up and over the ridge of the hill that the lodge was built on. From the top, a commanding view of the whole valley, lush with ample vegetation, spread out before us. We could see from this western side of the valley, all the way across to the Umlilo safari lodge, and on to the next chain of mountains east of us. To the north, isolated clusters of storm clouds portended localized rain showers that likely would not reach us. None-the-less, good news for the drought-stricken Eastern Cape province. Prior to our arrival, the news told of severe water rationing with Cape Town at risk of running out of water within weeks. Throughout our safari, we would encounter grim reminders of the drought in the form of bleached and dried out corpses of animals that perished from thirst.

full

Standing tall on the back of the Toyota Land Cruiser, we scanned the landscape laid out before us, searching for nyala. While the brush obscured our views of most game animals, we spotted some giraffe in the distance. Francois suggested we take a look, as there seemed to be a potential candidate for us to hunt. The giraffe’s head and long neck offered an easy reference point and we approached in the truck with ease. Upon closer inspection, we identified the giraffe as a female, possibly pregnant. She watched us with large, curious eyes as our vehicle rolled past.

We were now located towards the northern end of the property, on a set of roads that would allow us to circle and travel through the thick brush. If we spotted an acceptable nyala, we might have to move quickly before they disappeared into the safety of the thorns. Our plan was to spot one crossing the road ahead of us. We began driving and typically only managed to spot the flash of an animal quickly blending into the bushes along game trails too small to follow.

This process continued, repeatedly following the roads, spooking game, with no opportunity at a shot. As the sun began to approach the mountains to our west, with dusk on everyone’s mind, we continued, hoping for our opportunity. As we turned a corner, we spotted a group of four male nyala, with one particularly nice-looking bull in the group. They quickly disappeared like ghosts into the thicket, but this sighting presented an opportunity. We drove down the road at a faster pace, hoping to catch them on the other side of this section of bushes. With luck, we might be there just in time to find them exiting the brush!

As we approached the opposite side of the impassable foliage, hopes were high! We rounded another bend, just in time to see two of the males again disappearing into the bush. Now the sun was starting to get very low, disappearing behind the mountains. As dusk approached, our window of opportunity was quickly closing.

Again, around the bushes we drove, hoping beyond all reasonable hope to find the nyala bulls. The sun was now fully behind the mountains; the sky transitioning to shades of purple. Francois and I stood on the back bumper of the Land Cruiser, ready to dismount at a moment’s notice. We drove the length of brush and saw no movement, no animals. Perhaps they’d bedded down to wait until the safety of darkness. Perhaps they’d changed direction and were heading back towards their sanctuary within the mountains.

We’d almost completed a full circle now, approaching the place we’d last spotted them. As we rounded a tight bend in the road, I spotted the nyala. They’d turned around and were emerging from the bush, right where we’d last seen them enter. This location was particularly fortuitous for us, as three roads converged in a tight “V” configuration with less thick brush where they came together. The nyala were moving across this relatively open area, with only intermittent bushes obscuring our view.

Francois and I quietly dismounted without even letting anyone else know our intention. As the truck continued on at its typical pace down the road, we crouched behind a low bush. Francois immediately put the sticks up and gave me the go-ahead to fire. I picked up the nyala in my scope, sharply quartering away from us and moving towards more bushes. Luckily, they failed to notice our presence and just continued along at their casual pace. My shot opportunity was fading with each step the nyala took away from us, so Francois gave a whistle and the nyala briefly stopped and gazed back at us over his shoulder. The angle was anything but ideal. I calmed my breathing, centered the scope on what I hoped was the spot that offered the optimal angle for the bullet to travel, almost loosing sight of the crosshairs in the rapidly fading light, and gently squeezed the trigger.

full

With the crack of the rifle, the nyala twisted and jumped in the air, wildly kicking in an attempt to flee. I lost sight of the bull behind another bush, but Francois confirmed a hit. I reloaded and we began to follow up. After just a few moments of walking, we spotted the tell-tale dust cloud that indicated the bull had gone down.

full

As we approached, I unloaded and safed the rifle, while marveling at the beautiful nyala. He’d fallen into a thorny bush, appropriate given the namesake of the property. We pulled him free and positioned him. Then Francois called up the truck on the radio. I was amazed at how soft and luxurious his fur was, also much longer than I expected for an antelope species. The bulls horns were wonderfully symmetrical and elegantly twisted near the white tips. A magnificent trophy after two safaris and countless hours hunting.

full

Once Jennifer and the truck arrived, she related that they hadn’t even noticed us get off the vehicle. It wasn’t until the shot that they realized we were gone! With the last fading bits of light before night enveloped the landscape in darkness, we quickly snapped some photos using the truck headlights to illuminate the scene. A great hunt and great conclusion to the day. A short drive back to the Umlilo lodge was all that stood between us and a hot shower and delicious dinner.

Chapter IV

Giraffe – A life well lived

full

The old boy watched as the first rays of morning light peaked over the mountaintops. He took a last drink of water with his long, snake-like tongue and then awkwardly straightened his legs and stood at full height. The old giraffe bull began to slowly walk towards the sunlight, away from the watering hole. Ahead, in the early morning mist, he could make out the long, graceful forms of his herd. Wait. Not his herd. It had once been his herd and he their mighty protector. But as the years passed, he had become older… and weaker. His progeny had grown up and of late, begun to challenge his authority. He’d fended them off countless times, reasserting his dominance, and his back bore the marks to prove it.

A few weeks ago, one had challenged him again. This time, he was not strong enough. The younger bull had beaten on him mercilessly and he’d been forced to flee. Now the herd was no longer his own. Now it belonged to another. The old boy was no longer welcome in the herd. If he got too close, the new herd bull would chase him off – not a lot of appreciation from that son of his.

His days now consisted of following the herd, at a distance. He’d eat what scraps they left behind. He’d watch them to see if they alerted to any danger. But he was not with them anymore. His existence had become a solitary one.

And so it was today. He watched as the herd moved along a row of trees. They were headed to a pile of oranges. He loved oranges. Hopefully, the herd wouldn’t eat them all before he got there. He began to walk, slowly, maintaining a consistent distance from the herd. He wasn’t resentful. Just resigned to his new lot in life. Such is the way of things for old boys in Africa. He thought of delicious, sweet oranges and continued to walk as the sun took a more prominent place in the sky.

Hunting of giraffe in Africa is controversial, both generally and within the hunting community. On the one hand, giraffe populations and their ranges across Africa are generally decreasing. As a group, they are considered vulnerable to extinction by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. Certain subspecies are considered endangered or critically endangered. Despite the concerning population trends and habitat loss, South Africa appears to be an exception to the rule. Giraffe garner significant interest from trophy hunters, which has led South African outfitters to focus on reintroduction and development of self-sustaining herds of the giant ungulates. Our purely anecdotal experience in South Africa found at least one heard of giraffe on any given property. So too on the Dorfling concessions, a large herd of over 20 giraffe prospered. Supporting the conservation of a quintessentially African species like the giraffe through hunting sparked our initial interest in the giants.

full

Within the hunting community, there is mixed commentary on the difficulty of hunting giraffe. When driving by a herd or lone bull in a truck, they typically act unconcerned and uninterested, perceiving no threat. Stalking them is another thing entirely, as we would learn. Colonel Theodore Roosevelt described them as such:

“Its [the giraffe’s] extraordinary height enables it to bring into play to the best possible advantage its noteworthy powers of vision, and no animal is harder to approach unseen. Again and again I have made it out a mile off or rather have seen it a mile off when it was pointed out to me, and looking at it through my glasses, would see that it was gazing steadily at us… There was no use trying to stalk, for that would merely have aroused the giraffe’s suspicions.” African Game Trails

full

Leading up to the safari, I discussed with Francois the idea of pursuing a giraffe. I shared my interest, but caveated with the understanding that I only wanted to hunt an old and dark bull, preferably already separated from the herd. Francois assured me it was possible but would require some looking to find just the right bull. And so, it would.

Our first evening at Umlilo, we set off on the back of the truck to survey the hunting concession where the lodge is located. We drove back into the foothills behind the lodge, past an old abandoned farmhouse. In the hills, the vegetation is much denser that the plains, offering ample cover and concealment for the animals. As we drove the roads, up and down over various ridges, we came to a clearing with an orange pile in the middle. Francois stopped the truck and waited while the sun began to dip behind the distant mountain range to our west. As the shadows grew longer and a grayish-purple hue transformed the landscape, a large family of giraffe emerged from the tree line. Despite their massive size, up to twenty feet in height for large males, this group seemed to materialize from out of nowhere. Their camouflage is extremely effective and in thick brush they can only be spotted by looking for their heads amongst the highest of tree branches.

full

This herd of giraffe consisted of over a dozen males and females. Juvenile giraffes mixed in with the much taller adults. There was even a baby giraffe, maybe five feet tall, that clumsily walked to the food source. The giraffe didn’t approach us too closely, always maintaining some distance from the truck. As the group fed, Francois spotted the herd bull feeding just within the tree line. A massive giant, with the darkest brown patches on his hide and a forehead covered in bumps that are indicative of a mature male. Such a specimen was exactly what I was interested in hunting, but this bull was safe. He was still in clear control of the herd and deserved to stay in charge, sustaining the herd for generations to come with his excellent genetics.

After almost twenty minutes of enjoying the close proximity of these majestic creatures, the herd bull decided it was time to move on. He emerged from the tree line and pushed the other giraffe on their way through the sheer weight of his presence. The baby giraffe required some additional motivation from its mother and was soon stumbling along in that awkward stilt-like gait of giraffes. Just as they had arrived, the herd blended into the trees and bushes, once more becoming invisible to us.

We would stumble across the herd from time to time in the days to come. They watched us pass with an assured nonchalance, knowing they were safe from any persecution. We would see many other giraffe on other concessions too. At Thornydale, from the crest of a small mountain, we spotted an outstandingly colored, large giraffe a few miles distant in the valley below. Further investigation revealed it to be a female -though impressive, at a size similar to most males. Each of these specimens, while wonderful, were not the individual we sought. Early in our safari, we would consider the various herds of giraffe in passing while focusing on pursuing some other game species.

As the days continued, Francois received a message from some farmers located north of Umlilo on the R75 highway. The farmer had a herd of giraffe, but in the last few weeks, they’d noticed that the herd bull was no longer with the group. Instead, he followed the others at a distance. Francois suspected this bull had been kicked from the herd by a younger male. This might be the bull we’ve been searching for. We decided to set out the next morning to see.

An early departure from the Umlilo lodge found us cruising up the highway to today’s concession. Francois indicated out the left window that all the land we were passing was part of the concession we would hunt. The terrain was mostly flat, with some small hills. The area was not as densely vegetated as other areas, with wide open plains and primarily low thorn bushes. A couple of lines of trees broke up the otherwise fairly uniform region.

We pulled into the property after a while and set off on a dirt track. As we drove, we spooked random groups of springbok, sending them galivanting across the countryside at high speed. The trail approached an old, abandoned farmhouse, squat and square amongst the otherwise uninterrupted nature. Francois stopped the truck and pointed to a row of trees almost two miles away. Through our binoculars, we were able to spot the herd of giraffe. They were congregated around a pile of oranges – a feeding opportunity available to game on many farms in the region.

full

Within the group of giraffe, we failed to find the old male we sought. But then, looking further along the tree line, we spotted him. He was perhaps half a mile further back from the rest of the herd. Francois took this to be a good sign. The giraffe bull’s disposition suggested he was no longer part of the herd; instead trailing them for safety and direction to feeding locations while not really being part of the group. After a short discussion, we decided to make a stalk and see what we might find.

full

Before the stalk could begin- the giraffe had already spotted our truck and were casually keeping tabs on us, we needed to move to a new location to enable an approach from a different direction. We made a long, winding loop around the giraffes and dismounted the truck more than a mile past them, covered by the line of trees they’d been skirting. We sent the truck on its way and hunkered down behind a thorn bush.

full

Francois glassed the tree line to see if he could distinguish the giraffe. In the time it had taken us to drive around, the herd of giraffe had moved away from the pile of oranges and were slowly moving away from us. In their place, the old bull was now feeding off the oranges. This presented a golden opportunity for us to approach while keeping him unawares. Francois shared this information with us, as we were blind behind the bush. He cautioned that this would be a careful approach. The giraffe’s head peered above the trees and scanned the horizon for approaching danger. To successfully approach, we would only move when his head was down, feeding. Those would be our opportunities to move from thorn bush to thorn bush, closing the distance.

full

We set off at a stuttering pace, pausing behind bushes to evade the giraffe’s detection. Along the way, we passed many skulls and skeletons of animals that perished during the ongoing drought in South Africa. It was a stark reminder of the harsh realities for wildlife living in South Africa. After about forty minutes of stalking, we came to an old, dried out riverbed. This afforded us a covered and more direct route closer to the giraffe. Our luck was holding up to this point, with the bull still feeding on the oranges and unaware of our presence.

full

The dried riverbed allowed for a much faster approach and soon we’d reached a thick bramble of thorn bushes within a hundred yards of the giraffe. The thorn bushes grew to the edge of the riverbed, allowing us to skirt along their periphery. Eventually, we reached a point that demanded we move into the thorns. Very carefully, both to ensure our silent approach and to minimize blood loss to the thorns, we crept in amongst the thicket. Weaving in and out of bushes, over or under extending branches covered in two-inch long barbed thorns, we slowly approached the clearing with the oranges and with our bull.

full

Suddenly, Francois signaled a halt. Then he quietly and slowly indicated in front of us. We could just make out a few of the giraffe from the herd and one of them was looking right at us. It was a middle-sized juvenile giraffe, gazing at us inquisitively. Very carefully, we made a turn onto a more direct path towards our bull and away from the younger giraffe. He continued to watch as we made our way into the shadows of the thorn bushes.

We reached a small clearing, encircled with thorn bushes that continued to obscure our presence from the bull. As Francois searched for him, he saw the bull had moved on from the oranges. We quickly deduced that the herd of giraffe were, out of an abundance of caution, moving away from us. The old bull had noticed and began to move as well. Luckily, he had not smelled us yet and his pace was slow.

Francois had us strafe to the right, along the edge of the thorns, staying in the shadows. We came to another small clearing and Francois put the sticks up. I slowly moved up and put my rifle on the sticks, but still hadn’t spotted the giraffe.

And then he appeared. Moving along the bushes in front of us, with his neck and upper chest exposed. I flicked off the safety and the bull paused, looking at us inquiringly. I lined up on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger.

full

The giraffe barely flinched and began to move. I put two more rounds in him as he continued away from us, passing behind some bushes that obscured my shooting channel. I quickly reloaded the rifle and we moved out, past the bushes, into the open.

full

The bull giraffe had slowed his pace and was clearly injured. Again onto the sticks, this time aiming at his neck, just behind his ear. I pause, slowing my heart rate, trying to control my breathing, and wait for the giraffe to pause. At the shot, it sounded like a massive crack when the bullet hit home. The giraffe seemed to tumble down on top of himself, crashing to the ground with a resounding thud.

full

We moved up to the giraffe cautiously, as a single kick from their giant legs can kill a man. The giraffe was still alive, but on his last breaths. A final coup de grâce ended his suffering. It only became apparent to me… the size of this animal… after a period of reflection. As the adrenaline of the hunt subsided, I considered the giant. His body was the size of a Volkswagen Beetle, with each leg taller than a man. His long neck extended gracefully to a giant head that now rested peacefully. The coloration of his hide was exceptional and reflected his advanced age, a dark brown spliced by khaki. At the center of each brown spot was a dark, almost black core. His legs and hide bore the scars of a long life come to an end.

full

Now that the hunt was over, the hard work awaits. We called over the truck to see about getting the giraffe positioned for photos. We want to remember this fine animal, to memorialize him. In a way, it makes the creature immortal – appreciated long after his passing. Usually a large tractor is required to move them around, but Francois had other plans. Through some ingenuity, manpower, multiple tow straps, and over an hour of effort, we slowly managed to roll the 3,000+ pound animal over. While adjusting the bull giraffe to properly capture his majesty, Jen was unsatisfied with the position of the head. She went to maneuver it into a new position and was stopped dead by its massive weight. The head was over two feet long and weighed over a hundred pounds!

full

full

full

After photos, the team took to butchering the giraffe on the spot. The meat from this giraffe will go to the local market, providing much needed protein to the local populace. With five men working, the butchering and skinning still took four hours. The men used electric saws to separate the leg bones, while others focused on detailed skinning work with sharp blades. When we opened one of the giraffe’s four stomachs, we found it full of oranges in various states of digestion. The old bull had passed on after a final meal to satisfy his appetite.

full

full

full

As the team neared completion, a truck pulled up. An old man sitting in the front seat observed the giraffe. He was the owner of the farm and terminally ill. He came to see the first giraffe taken on the property. This giraffe’s sacrifice will help ensure that the herd continues to flourish here for generations to come.

Chapter V

Camp Life and Denizens of the Nocturnal Bush

full

While the focus of each day was the hunt, the Umlilo Safari lodge was quintessentially gemütlich, offering a comfortable base to return to after long days on the roads and trails of the Eastern Cape. The lodge is built on the edge of a cliff that overlooks a dried-out riverbed and the rolling plains beyond. It is constructed around a large courtyard with fireplace and couches for relaxing. At the front of the lodge are the common areas: bar, living room, dining room, and balcony overlooking the flats. This building also houses the kitchen. Our room was on the other side of the courtyard, on the second floor. This afforded us outstanding views of the plains, over the top of the common areas, through our large, floor-to-ceiling glass doors. A fresh, comfortable bed greeted us each evening after the day’s adventures and the en-suite bathroom provided all the modern conveniences.

Mornings at the lodge were usually a quiet time. Depending on planned departure times for each group, we may or may not see any other guests. We would help ourselves to a light breakfast and a hot cup of coffee. Then we would fill up the thermos with hot water and grab some instant coffee and instant soup packs for the day. From there, we made our way out to the truck, where the dogs and either Tully or Jani, tracker for the day, greeted us. The dogs were a funny bunch, claiming ownership of whichever truck was theirs. They more or less live on the vehicle and only allowed those on-board authorized by their master.

In the evenings, after refreshing ourselves in our suite, we would join the group at the bar or on the balcony to watch the sun set. Without fail, a delicious appetizer awaited us there: maybe a venison pâté with crackers or a cheese board complimented with delicious biltong. We would enjoy a drink or two and recount the day’s successes and challenges until the kitchen ladies let us know dinner was ready. Dinner was served family style around a circular table. In the middle of the table was another wooden circle with all the food and trimmings that spun so everyone could reach the delicious meal.

After dinner we usually enjoyed some additional libations and stories. On a few lucky nights, Johan took us out night hunting, our objective: bushpig. These pigs seem more similar in size and characteristics to western European keilers or American feral hogs than their African brethren, the warthog. The bushpig has a rough coat of gray and orange hair and sport tusks similar to a Eurasian boar. They travel in packs or individually and are almost never seen in the daytime, preferring nocturnal pursuits exclusively.

Johan set up a few bait sites and we decided to try our luck. As we left the lodge in Johan’s Land Cruiser, the darkness of the African night engulfed our party, the chill of adrenaline rushed through us in excitement and anticipation of what this strange other-world might offer for us to discover.

Our first bait site was at the old, abandoned farmhouse. As we approached, Johan killed the lights and drove on in utter darkness. Then he rolled to a stop and we silently exited the vehicle. All was quiet, all was dark. We get in line and begin the final approach towards the bait when out of the darkness, loud metallic banging and crashing noises split through the stillness, leaving us all on edge. With a curse, Johan informs us that the ruckus was baboons banging and fighting on the rusty old water tank next to the farmhouse. This does not bode well for our chances at this bait site, as the bushpig are unlikely to hang out in the vicinity of these primates.

full

We complete our approach and flick on the spotlight. Sure enough, the site is abandoned. The baits are ingeniously set up, with a large hopper designed to periodically dispense corn. There’s a trip wire on the ground that activates a red light in case there are animals at the site. We head back towards the truck and about halfway there, out of the inky darkness, three kudu cows bolt across the trail maybe 30 yards in front of us. They appear as blurry gray flashes through the beam of Johan’s light.

Back in the truck, we head towards the next spot. As we drive, a jackal appears. Rather than disappearing into the brush, he runs along the road in front of us, enjoying the light provided by the headlights. I lean out the window and take a shot, knocking this African pest out of commission. We drive on to the next bait. No luck on bushpig, but there were many large porcupines! Unlike the North American variety, porcupines in Africa sport quills that are frequently over a foot long. When approached by a predator, they charge backwards at the animal to stab it. Historical accounts suggest that man-eating lions were frequently victims of porcupine quills. The quills, remaining stuck in the face and eyes, left wounds that quickly festered and became infected. The lion, now in a reduced capacity and unable to hunt effectively, would turn to the easier prey of human flesh.

full

While our nocturnal sojourns failed to yield the bushpigs we sought, they were great fun and allowed us to experience a wholly unique ecosystem of creatures rarely enjoyed by safari guests. In addition to the jackal I dispatched, we also managed to bag a springhare. These cute little critters resemble miniature kangaroos. They have long, bushy tales, with short front arms and hind legs that are long and muscular, allowing them to hop along. The nighttime stalks had a unique feel to them, the chill air and strange animal sounds amplifying the excitement of what might appear at the end of the grayish beam emitted from our spotlights.

Looks like you had a great hunt.

Excellent hunt report, photos, and Trophies.

I can sympathize with the Bobcat surprise in the backyard. Here in Tucson, many domestic pets are lost to Bobcats and Coyotes.

Thanks for sharing! I really have missed all the reports we usually get this time of year!
Man giraffes are monsters! You don’t realize just how giant they are when you see them from a distance.

Thanks for sharing and congrats!

What a wonderful report. Well written. I have hunted Thorndale. Love the lodge up on the hill. My own Nyala came from their property as well as a couple of other animals. That bush can be pretty thick in places and plenty of thorns. Interesting area to hunt in. Looking forward to the rest.
Bruce

Chapter VI

Jen’sbok matriarch

full

The vast high plateau lay behind the aging matriarch and her two companions now. They’d made their way down from the relative safety of the high ground earlier in the day. Briefly, they’d passed a group of their fellow gemsbok grazing through a valley. The group was large, but not particularly welcoming of outsiders, and so they moved on.

The female gemsbok paused along a low embankment that surrounded a small depression. From this spot, she looked back across the valley, with its low, rolling hills feeding into the steep slopes that lead back up towards the plateau beyond. She would return towards the high ground as the sun began to set, but it wasn’t time yet. An itch garnered her attention and she cocked her head back to scratch the spot near her hind legs with long, straight horns. The two males with her stayed close, providing the eyes and ears to ensure the small group’s security, while the matriarch made her leisurely walk.

They continued to the next hill but paused in the low ground to feed. The hill was relatively clear of vegetation, but still afforded the gemsbok matriarch a commanding view of the valley from its gentle slopes. She fed on a low bush while her two companions milled about nearby. A truck approached down the main dirt road, kicking up plumes of dust and dirt in its wake. It turned off onto the smaller dirt road that wound around the hill and into the valley beyond. As the vehicle sounds grew louder, the matriarch led her small group away, traversing the hill about halfway up. They headed toward a ridge that would allow them to cross over to the backside of the hill. As they moved, the matriarch looked up at the sun. It was sitting deep in the western sky, nearing the horizon. Sunset would arrive in about an hour.

full

Jen hunted gemsbok on our first safari, in Limpopo province. After getting close to a group of gemsbok at last light, Jen took a shot at a tough angle. As night set in, the search for the hit animal had to wait for the next morning. Ultimately, we were unable to recover the gemsbok, a really tough and unfortunate situation for all of us.

On this, our second safari, Jen planned to also make a second attempt at a gemsbok, or as we affectionately like to refer to them, a Jen’s bok. Early in our trip, Francois suggest we look for gemsbok on the property of a childhood friend of his, Johnny Henderson. Johnny’s property was on the opposite side of the north-south mountain range that the Umlilo lodge butted up against. We were on the west side, this property on the east. As a kid, Francois’s dad used to fly them over the mountains in his plane to get to the Henderson farm. Sadly, this option was no longer available, and we would have to drive- a significant detour to the north to access the mountain pass.

full

We set off before first light on the R75 highway, which would lead us from the Umlilo lodge, through the pass. The morning chill and early hour kept everyone quiet and contemplative as we cruised along the road. With the first hints of sunrise peaking over the mountain tops, the R75 turned east and increased in elevation, approaching the pass. As we crested the apex, the entire valley was visible before us, painted in shades of deep purple and blue and gray, as the sun continued its gradual climb. Much of the valley was shrouded in morning fog, a new experience for us in South Africa, a country usually clear and dry.

full

To our south was a large lake. Francois related that the lake was formed after the erecting of the Darlington Dam. Interestingly, Johnny and his family obtained much of their wealth due to this dam. The Henderson family has traditional Boer roots in farming and livestock management, a tradition that continues to this day. Long ago, the government decided to build the Darlington Dam on Sunday’s River, forming Lake Mentz. Coincidentally, the Sunday’s River flows through the mountains, past Kirkwood. A branch of the Sunday’s, the Kariegarivier, flows through the Umlilo property, with the lodge built on the bluff overlooking one of its dry riverbeds. On building the dam, the government flooded much of the Henderson’s lands. After lengthy court battles, the Hendersons were richly and rightly compensated for the impact of the government’s decisions.

full

Our trip to Henderson’s was ultimately unsuccessful in terms of gemsbok. While there, we did spot ample game, including eland and waterbuck. Additionally, we stopped by their game breeding enclosure and got to see some young sable and a herd of cape buffalo up close. In the herd were lots of females and young males and one, clearly dominant, breeder bull. He will make an impressive trophy once he’s past breeding age; but, for now, he’s safe to pass on his excellent genetics.

As sunset approached, Francois suggested we check in with Johnny for sundowners. I love that word- sundowner. It refers to having a drink with friends around sunset, hence sundowner. It’s a great way to end any day, but especially here in Africa. We drive down to Johnny’s house, a fabulous place built similar to many safari lodges, with a grass roof and large, open-concept rooms. A giant fireplace sits in the middle of the living room with a great buffalo mount hung. The house is actually in the shape of an H, as is the pool, in a not-so-subtle nod to the Henderson name. Johnny is a great guy, very hospitable and friendly. We enjoy our sundowners, before heading back to Umlilo.

With the lack of success at Johnny’s place, Francois decides to take us to another place, also to the north. This time, as we drive along the R75, at the town of Kleinpoort, rather than continuing east, we turn west. The road quickly shifts from pavement to dirt to potholes. Eventually, we arrive at a gate labeled Royal Karoo Safaris. This is Francois’s first time testing out this concession, so we’ll see if the drive was worth it.

full

The Royal Karoo lodge is built at the base of a high and particularly steep set of mountains, with most of the concession encompassing this particular mountain range and the plateau at the top in particular. We picked up a local game scout at the lodge and then headed down the road towards the trail that leads to the top of the plateau. After a short drive, the game scout indicated we should turn right onto a trail.

As luck would have it, on the way to the trail, we spotted a group of gemsbok on a hillside near the bottom. We stopped the truck and dismounted to see if there were any eligible candidates in the group. As we stalked up the hillside, thick with brush, we passed a group of nyala females, their orange fur peaking through gaps in the bushes. While they knew we were there, they didn’t spook, and just casually walked away, blending into the foliage. Luckily, they did not head towards the group of gemsbok we were stalking.

full

Soon, we’d moved within range and could see a large group of gemsbok milling about in the shade. Some were laying down, others grazing. Francois scanned the group and found a good one tucked away behind some thron bushes and a tree. He was facing away from us and we could make out his back and majestic horns extending away from his head. We just needed him to stand up and present a shot, as his current position risked a miss or bad hit if we attempted anything.

full

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, Francois decided to see if we could test our luck and get the gemsbok to react. The time was approaching midday, which meant that if we left the group to their own devices, we might be waiting for four or five hours before they decided to get up. Francois picked up two rocks and hit them together.

No response.

He tried again. Nothing.

Francois gave a shout and hit the rocks together multiple times.

Again, no response from the gemsbok. Clearly, these guys were committed to taking full advantage of their afternoon siesta. We decided to move closer in the hopes of getting a better shot or getting the antelope to stand up

full

We inched along, 60 yards, 50 yards, 45 yards. All of a sudden, one of the gemsbok spooked and took off running. In rapid succession, all the others joined him in a cloud of dust. We’d missed our opportunity. It was time to find a different group of gemsbok.

full

We returned to the truck and followed the dirt road, a set of switch backs leading towards the top of the mountain. After each switch back, the trail’s steepness increased, each turn sharper and sharper. Jen was sitting inside the cab, while I was in the back with Tully and the local scout. Soon, I found myself holding on to one of the metal bars in the truck bed with a death grip. The incline continued to increase! Eventually, we reached a small, sharp switchback that turned into a 45 degree ascent – I wish I was exaggerating. I could feel the front wheels of the Toyota desperately attempting to get traction as Francois attempted the maneuver. Behind us, the edge of the road terminated into a 100 ft+ cliff face. With the tires kicking out rocks from the loose gravel and one of the front wheels unable to maintain contact with the ground at this sharp angle, I suggested to Francois that perhaps this road was a bit too much high adventure.

Francois interrogated the local scout, asking when last a truck made it up this road. The scout explained that the road had been recently excavated with a tractor… no mention of a truck or any other vehicle with four wheels heading up this route. To my relief, we decided to head back down and try our luck at a lower altitude. I might be a big baby, but sometimes, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze!

We returned to the base of the mountain and began driving along the main road, which followed the north-south path of the ridgeline. About a mile down the road, we turned back towards the mountain, intent on investigating some draws that disappeared back towards a cliff face. On our left was a sparsely vegetated hill that the dirt trail wound around.

full

As we rounded the bend, we spotted three gemsbok antelope walking along the hillside, about halfway up. The gemsbok, part of the oryx family, is a majestic beast, mostly tan in color, with a white belly, and a distinctive back stripe on its side and blotched on its face. Both the male and female sport long, straight horns. The female’s horns are actually demonstrably longer than the males, but slightly thinner. In this group of three gemsbok, there were two middle-aged males and an older female, a matriarch. Their beautiful coloration contrasted wonderfully against the tan grassy hillside.

The animals had yet to spook, so we continued on the trail and Francois indicated a bush up ahead. As we drove by the bush, we carefully dismounted while the truck continued on its way. The bush was poor cover indeed, just a lone thorn bush with almost no leaves. The gemsbok were passing in front of us at about 175 yards and Francois quickly set up the shooting sticks for Jen. The antelope caught sight of the movement and quickened their pace. By the time Jen was set, they had disappeared over a saddle near the hilltop.

We decided to see about catching them on the other side of the hill. Mounting back up into the Land Cruiser, we set off at an aggressive pace on a dirt track that didn’t even earn the distinction of “trail.” After about ten minutes of getting jostled and tossed about in the truck, we reached the north end of the hill and turned back onto the main road, headed south. The sun was starting to sink deep into the western sky- we probably had less than 90 minutes of daylight left.

Still no gemsbok spotted, but Francois had a hunch. Since we hadn’t seen them yet, they were likely still milling abut on the hill. By driving past the hill on its western side, we might turn them and push them back towards the east. The plan was to drive to the eastern base of the hill and hike up. With luck, we’d encounter the gemsbok somewhere along the way!

At the eastern base of the hill, we halted. Tully took the wheel and headed back out to the main road. He would act as a bird dog, letting us know if the gemsbok changed direction. Our ascent was steep, but not uncomfortably so, across loose and rocky terrain, interspersed with long grass. Three quarters of the way up the slope, we reached a crude, manmade wall of stacked rocks that appeared to run along the hillside, but who’s purpose was not apparent. We followed this a ways towards the west, past a couple thorn bushes, expecting antelope around every corner. The sky was beginning to take on a grayish hue, with shades of purple, as the sun continued its descent. Not much light left now.

full

With a quick motion, Francois had us halt. Jen and I couldn’t see anything but Francois assured us the gemsbok were approaching. Jen settled the rifle on the sticks and waited for the “OK” to shoot. Francois watched the approaching antelope to try and distinguish which was which. Confirming that the matriarch was still leading the two males around, he let Jen know that this would be another frontal chest shot, as they were walking up the hillside, right towards us. The opportunity to shoot would be very short as they would likely notice us as soon as Jen could see them through the scope.

Sure enough, we first saw horns, then face, and then the chest of the female gemsbok. The oryx immediately alerted, but it was too late. Jen squeezed the trigger and sent a shot right into its chest. With a clatter of dust and rocks, the three gemsbok bolted. We quickly moved forward and spotted them down the hill already. With some haste, as dusk was upon us, we pursued down the hill.

full

The two males were already gone and the female was limping along below us. Jen put another shot into the gemsbok and it ran a ways further away from us. One more shot and the pursuit of a gemsbok, which had taken Jen two safaris to achieve, was finally over. The majestic old matriarch was laid to rest, but she would live on in our memories and memorialized in our home as a mount. A great conclusion to a long day. We made the drive back to the Umlilo lodge in darkness, contented and quietly, each left to their own thoughts.

full

full

Thanks for sharing! I really have missed all the reports we usually get this time of year!
Man giraffes are monsters! You don’t realize just how giant they are when you see them from a distance.

Agreed. And a big male is immediately obvious within a tower of giraffes. The babies, stumbling along clumsily, don't even reach the top of a big male's legs.

Congrats on a nice gemsbok!

Chapter VII

Unrest in the Citrus Fields

full

One evening, Zanelle’s brother and his wife joined us for dinner. He works in the citrus industry and brought concerning stories of recent unrest. The citrus industry dominates the Eastern Cape, with orange and lemon and citrus farms throughout. Even in Kirkland, the small town near the Umlilo concessions, had citrus farming as its predominant source of employment.

In South Africa, they don’t really have protests or demonstrations, just violent riots. During our time there, the citrus workers were rioting, demanding an increase in pay. The government wasn’t helping, making unrealistic promises that the citrus industry could never meet. Shortly after our arrival, we heard news of the rioters setting up road blocks, burning piles of trash and tires. Luckily, these events were centered a few hours west of us.

That evening, around the dinner table, Zanelle’s brother shared that the rioters had broken into some equipment sheds the night before and burned them to the ground. This included two large farming tractors, each worth about a half million dollars. Elsewhere, mobs of workers numbering in the thousands were refusing to work and threating increased violence. The violence frequently focused not just on their corporate masters, but on each other too. Recently, two rival factions emerged within the workers, lead by a pair of brothers. The one brother, desiring to lead the movement on his own, captured and beheaded his brother to exert his dominance and assert his supremacy.

While the situation seemed to be escalating… and moving closer in proximity to us, Zanelle’s brother was confident that things would be resolved soon. The citrus companies had brought in an anti-riot team from the Congo. These men, as he described them, were muscled beasts, hopped up on steroids, experienced in putting down coups and the largest of riots. Each man came equipped with body armor, a shotgun, a sub-machine gun, and a pistol. The rioters had little hope of resisting a deliberate and unflinching force like this, totally focused on dispersing the crowds by whatever means necessary.

Events proved to unfold as Zanelle’s brother predicted. The riots were quelled in the face of the anti-riot team and some concessions from the citrus industry management.

It’s strange really, how even in a country like South Africa, one of the most developed and advanced in Africa, measures like these are necessary. In the absence of an effective police force and an inept and corrupt government, businesses and corporations must take matters into their own hands. The South African safari industry is very good at keeping its clients safe and insulated from such unrest. Despite this, there is an unsettling feeling of the seething discontent and hostility between races that exists right at the periphery of the safari experience.

As if to further highlight this, on one of our final nights, Francois took us into Kirkland to visit his home. It was a Friday night, pay day for all the workers. We drove through the local township, a miniaturized version of the larger townships we’d seen in Johannesburg. In Kirkland, the township is divided into two parts- black and colored. The two races do not mix, despising each other. While the colored population generally gets along with the white population, the blacks dislike everyone, to include other blacks from other parts of Africa. They are extremely xenophobic and tribal, seeing anyone outside their group as a threat.

Francois’s home was lovely, located in the white part of town. It was walled-in, with a main building where the Dorfling family lived, and a secondary building for entertaining. The second building consisted of Francois’s trophy room and a bar. He proudly showed us where he kept the photobook I made for him from our first safari together. Outside was a large garden where they frequently hosted family get-togethers and parties of over 100 people. The next party was for an upcoming Springbucks Rugby match, scheduled for just after our departure.

As we departed to head back to the hunting lodge, the sun was beginning to set. We drove through town, observing mobs of workers cued at the bank’s cash machines from within the relative safety of our vehicle. Francois related that tonight and throughout the weekend the workers would spend all their earnings on drink and partying, making the town extremely dangerous. White families do not venture out on weekends to avoid the inherent danger in large mobs of people fueled with alcohol and drugs.

South Africa is a strange place. Modern in so many ways, and yet, deeply divided and oppressive to each race in its own way. This trip is when it really became clear why the white South African population feels themselves a threatened group, just waiting for the scales to tip in the direction of widespread violence and forced exodus. Francois relates that the white community is rapidly dwindling, as they emigrate to Europe or the United States to escape the risks they face in their homeland. And this is all before even considering the recently approved measures allowing uncompensated confiscation and redistribution of white-owned property, as championed by Ramaphosa.

full

Chapter VIII

A Driven Hunt in the African Bush

full

With Jen’s gemsbok in the bag, we thought it would be fun to see if we could make it a matched pair. Francois suggested we head a bit further afield, exploring more of the Eastern Cape as we went. We planned for a late breakfast along the way, departing the lodge and heading through Kirkwood to the east. The road took us deep into citrus farming country, our path lined with orderly rows of fruit trees and the air filled with a pleasant aromatic blend of oranges and lemons and limes.

On the western edge of the Addo Elephant National Park, we stopped at the Addo Wildlife Lodge for breakfast at their Tangelo Restaurant. The restaurant and lodge are inconspicuous on the side of a dirt road, while hidden behind their gates and high walls lies a very peaceful and pleasant garden with lush and varied plant-life and flowers. Dotted throughout the garden are aviaries for various indigenous birds. We enjoyed a hearty breakfast on the outdoor patio and spent a short while walking the gardens.

Returning to the road, we headed north, towards the mountains. Francois shared that the highway we were on, switch-backing up the steep cliffsides, was originally an elephant path traveled by the past generations of the current Addo Park inhabitants. In his book “Jungle Man,” Major P.J. Pretorius recounts not only his adventures in organizing the sinking of the German warship Konigsberg along the Rufiji river during World War One, but also speaks of his efforts hunting elephant in the Addo area. While lamenting the challenges of hunting in the extremely thick Addo forests, Pretorius did successfully hunt hundreds of elephants there and even managed to capture some baby elephants alive for future exhibition in the zoos of Europe!

As we drove along the park’s border, Francois had us start counting warthogs. The park is fairly overrun by these creatures and is in desperate need of a cull to prevent habitat destruction. Along a short stretch of maybe three miles, we counted over two hundred of the critters, setting a new record! The larger clearings of the National Park were covered in clusters of these quintessentially African animals, so ugly and yet endearing.

Further along our drive, while passing a farm with plowed fields, we spotted two secretary birds. Frequently reaching over four feet in height, these raptors look like large eagles or hawks, but standing on stilts. Their long, heavily armored legs and powerful feet adorned with vicious talons enable the secretary bird to hunt cobras and other poisonous snakes. They generally hunt in teams, stalking along the ground looking for prey to stomp on!

Our drive took us through the mountains, down into foothills, past fields of windmills, into the rolling plains of the wide valley. Shortly before lunch time, we reached the concession where we were to hunt. The terrain was generally flat and only spotted with bushes and trees, except down the middle, where a dried-out river split the property in two. Along the river, dense vegetation provided thick cover for the animals. The terrain gently sloped up in both directions, away from the low ground carved out by the river.

full

We began our search driving through the open fields of golden waist-high grasses. Driving up over the low crest of a small hill, we spotted a magnificent lechwe bull and his harem. The lechwe in the wild exists almost exclusively in Zambia. Here in South Africa, they’ve successfully introduced the red lechwe and found that they thrive, especially in the Eastern Cape province. Not much larger than impala, the lechwe sports impressive horns reminiscent of a cross between a young kudu and a waterbuck. The herd watched us drive by with curiosity before bolting away across the prairie.

Later, a roan bull bounded from behind a tree, his stocky frame carrying him quickly out of our vicinity. Along a fence line, we came across a very large tortoise, about the size of a beachball. He seemed relatively unconcerned with us and we were able to snap some great photos with this fine, old, panzered resident of the concession.

full

Having found no gemsbok to speak of on this side of the dried-out river, we followed one of the paths towards the other side. As we passed the dense bush, we spotted almost a dozen sable lounging in the shade. These majestic antelope, with their sleek black coats and impressive arching horns watched us drive by from a safe distance and didn’t even make the effort to stand up or run away. Seeing these creatures brought back fond memories of our first safari, where we stalked the sable with Francois in the Kalahari.

We reached the far side of the concession and had yet to spot even a single gemsbok. The sun was now fully high in the sky, pushing all the animals into the comfortable shade of the densely wooded area. Francois suspected that this is where all the gemsbok were hiding out. Francois uttered the classic statement of every African PH, “We shall make a plan!” A few phone calls later and Francois had organized a team of beaters to push the game from the forest, effectively making this the African version of a driven hunt!

For a time, we could hear the beaters pushing through the forest, banging and shouting, but no game. And then it seemed as though the forest had reached carrying capacity and all the animals wanted out. A group of impala darted in one direction, some springbok headed in another, and then the gemsbok we’d sought appeared, heading towards the high ground.

full

We quickly took off after them, not wanting to miss our chance. We reached a bush and set up behind its cover. Francois warned that I should be ready for a quick shot. With all the excitement of the beaters disturbing the peaceful forest, it was unlikely that any of the animals would stand still.

Peering around the bush, Francois gave me the signal to be ready. A group of three gemsbok were headed in our direction. I was ready on the sticks, when the first appeared, running. Francois gave a whistle, which slowed him to a trot. Another whistle and he paused by a bush, inquisitively looking towards us. This was his last mistake and with the crack of the rifle, our African driven hunt reached its conclusion!

full

Upon approaching the gemsbok, we discovered that a small portion of one horn was chipped away and a long groove ran down that horn- likely damage from a fight with another male for dominance. I rather liked it, giving the old boy a bit of unique character. He would make a fine partner to Jen’s bok on a double pedestal mount we have planned.

full

Now, all that remained for today was the long drive back to the lodge. Along the way, we tried unsuccessfully to hunt some bushbuck in a farmer’s fields. There were bushbuck females out and about, but no males presented themselves in the failing light. Another time perhaps!

Chapter IX

A Day with the Great Cats, Large and Small

full

For the past few days, the wind had been whipping through the valley, making hunting difficult. Most of the animals bedded up in thick brush during these conditions, making a spot and stalk a difficult affair to say the least. After an unsuccessful morning’s hunt, Francois decided to take us to the Daniell Cheetah Project, essentially a small zoo. The project is actually located just down the road from Umlilo Safari’s lodge, maybe 2-3 miles. On arrival, we first sat down for a lunch of rooster brodje, essentially grilled cheese with a slice of ham and tomato. The sandwiches were delicious.

We also had a look through the project’s ‘padstal’ a combination rest stop and gift shop. Tucked away amongst all the standard knickknacks and trinkets, some very nice knives caught my eye. These knives were made by F Van Wyk, the owner of the project (Review HERE). As luck would have it, one of Francois’s apprentice professional hunters happened to be engaged to Mr. Van Wyk’s daughter. I let him know of my interest in the knives and on the final night of our trip, he brought me a selection to choose from. I selected a hunting knife and a skinning knife, both with giraffe bone handles. We also commissioned another skinning knife with giraffe bone handle for Jen’s dad, Jim.

full

full

Before we began our tour of the project, Francois warned us that many of the employees are volunteers from Europe that generally harbor anti-hunting sentiments. We should try obscure the true purpose of our visit to South Africa from our guide. This was a bit amusing, as both Jen and I were decked out in camouflage jackets and I still had my leather ammo pouch on my belt. Never the less, we refrained from reveling in our hunting triumphs as we surveyed the animals on display at the cheetah project.

full

full

Our tour through the project was very interesting, with all the typical Southern African predator species on display. We saw serval cats, spotted similar to a leopard, but no larger than a house cat. We also saw caracal, the lynx of Africa. These cats frequently hunt birds, catching them in flight. Then came the leopards. The first few were females and young. Definitely pretty animals. The most impressive was an old male that was sleeping in the crook of a tree. He was dark and majestic, muscular and almost stocky. While I didn’t mention it given the sensitivities of our guide, that male leopard cemented my desire to hunt one myself.

full

full

At the far end of the cheetah project, we came to the enclosures for the lions and the hyenas. Two impressive male lions lay lounging in the low grass. The strong wind blew through their manes, making it look like they’d just returned from a session at the hair-dressers. The lions were grumpy though, as it was feeding time, but not for them. Immediately across from them were the hyenas, three of them. These animals lack all the majesty and impact of the lions, yet they too can be appreciated in their own, awkward, way. The hyenas are fed daily, while the lions are only fed twice per week. Interestingly, the hyenas know this and will mock the lions. They pick up scraps of meat and pace along their fence line, in full view of the lions. This gets the lions riled up. Soon we had hyenas on one side of us, lions on the other, all pacing along a single flimsy fence line, separated from us by inches!

full

full

full

full

The tour concluded at an enclosure that housed a cheetah. We were allowed to enter the enclosure to approach and pet the cheetah. The cat was an adolescent, equivalent to a teenager, and relatively acclimated to human interaction. I’ve actually read stories and seen photos of cheetahs semi-domesticated, trained to hunt on command by farmers in Namibia. This cat, in many ways, reminded me of Drogo. Similar in size, she liked to be scratched under her chin and behind the ears.

full

The visit to Daniell Cheetah Project was very enjoyable and a great way to spend an afternoon where the strong winds made hunting impracticable. I will say this though- even with the lions closer than in any American zoo, the experience cannot compare with the exhilaration of hunting a lion with no fences or enclosures and only your rifle and your wits to keep you alive!

full

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross