SOUTH AFRICA: A Return To Eden...(*2014 With Leopards Valley)

rnovi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, HFMA, and a Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Hunted
South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
June, 2014. The plane lifted off the ground, wings spreading high above the City of Angels marking the beginning of the first leg of a great journey halfway around the world. I held my wife’s hand, mostly out of habit…partly to keep it out of trouble. A ding sounded, seatbelts clicked off and tray tables slammed down in synchronicity throughout the plane. JFK was 6 hours away plus a few minutes for time zones.

Africa’s Port Elizabeth stood half a world away with a stop in JFK and Jo-burg. A dream I visited once what seemed a lifetime ago. A dream that was destined to be different this time right from the start.

My friend and hunting partner, Kevin, had passed away. ALS had taken him from our lives far too soon. Kevin was many things - a phenomenal shot, thoughtful, friendly at the right time of the day and borderline sociopathic during others. Most of all he tolerated me as a friend. This was a trip we had planned together. We weren’t done with Africa. It wasn’t done with us. I patted the bag under my seat. No, we weren’t done yet.

My wife squeezed my hand, reached over and dropped the shade and leaned the seat back. I smiled, looked on her loving face and gave her a kiss.

Leopards Valley lay ahead with Dave and Nikki preparing another wonderful experience for us. New animals were in front of us, begging a hunt and a prayer from Diana. Mother Africa does not give up her treasures readily though.

I was fresh for this hunt, 44 years old and six months off an Alaskan Goat Hunt. I was in shape. I wasn't innocent to her wiles. My PH, Craig Done, had been warned. We were going to hunt. Hard.

No...Africa was not done with me yet. And I not done with her.

The plane ride though...yeah, she had her way with us.
2014  - 1.jpg

28 hours later...
2014  - 3.jpg

Last edited:
Our plan this time was just a little different. On our first trip we had planned 10 or 11 days in country. We front loaded the hunting and ended up spending the last three days sightseeing.

This time, we planned a couple days of sightseeing first followed by 7 days of hunting and a couple days on the end just to make sure we had adequate time for everything we thought we wanted to do.

We checked into the Brooks Hills Suites hotel, just a short hop outside the Port Elizabeth airport. We had a couple of luxuries this trip - a meet and greet, pre-filed firearms and documentation, a car (!) waiting for us. I can't remember the price of all that but it wasn't much and it really made life easy.

We checked in, handed our rifles over to Management, settled into the room.

And then did the right thing. We went out for a proper dinner.
2014  - 4.jpg

2014  - 5.jpg
2014  - 6.jpg
2014  - 7.jpg

We've found no need to suffer on vacation.

Last edited:
The started bright and earlier with a magnificent breakfast that I wish we could see in American hotels.

But not, the Marriott just don't play that way...not with plates and trays of sausages, eggs in several ways, fresh tomatoes, a dozen cheeses, cold cuts...All compliments of this guy.

2014  - 8.jpg

Did I mention dark rye breads, fresh jams, I mean, look at those golden eggs.
2014  - 9.jpg

At 9am a familiar beat up Toyota Hi-Lux Diesel rolled up and two of our favorite critters greeted us with big wags and kisses. Fury, all piss and vinegar when tracking, was just a bundle of love waiting for us.

2014  - 10.jpg

At our request, we had asked Craig to take a day to drive us around some of the local sights. We found ourselves on the beach at the Wreck of the Sacramento.

https://www.belvederecottages.co.za/blog/post/the-wreck-of-the-sacremento/

The Sacramento was the pride of the Portuguese fighting fleet in the 17th Century. She ran aground just off Schoenmakerskop outside Port Elizabeth on 30 June 1647 in foul weather. By the time she hit the rocky coastline, she had a badly damaged rudder and her sails were in tatters.

2014  - 11.jpg
2014  - 12.jpg
2014  - 13.jpg

It was lightly chill in the air...perfect for a stroll on the beach.

2014  - 14.jpg

It was great to stop, smell the roses, and let the jet lag fade. Port Elizabeth is a lovely place to be.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Our next stop was a local game park, pretty much right in the middle of PE.
2014  - 16.jpg

Mmmm, Nyala...

2014  - 17.jpg

Kitty Kats!
2014  - 18.jpg

Really? I think the results might be hilarious!
2014  - 19.jpg

NBA Player wannabes! (*I do love Giraffes. What a crazy critter and I love to watch them run.)
2014  - 20.jpg

In all honesty, I felt rather bad for the animals in the park. A few were very old, knock-kneed, thin hair, moving as slow as he could. I don't know how to say it but I just cannot understand how the anti-hunters think this is somehow preferable. Being penned, dying of starvation as your teeth wear down of age, nothing but being put on a decrepit misguided display which isn't support by enough tourism to be viable?

After a day in the car, my wife and I took a walk on the Beach.

2014  - 21.jpg

This guy was great. We chatted with him a while about his work.
2014  - 22.jpg

Is it a dog? Or a cheetah.
2014  - 23.jpg

or is it just a foreboding of the walking that lay ahead of us?

:D Pop Popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois