SOUTH AFRICA: A Month In Limpopo

Nice write up. Gets me fired up. Headed back to Limpopo in May. :cool:

We have done several auction hunts, and all have been excellent. However, we did our research prior to the bidding.

Kuche is doing our taxidermy. We went to their facility and were satisfied by what we saw. Disclaimer: almost all of our taxidermy will be euro mounts.

Feel free to PM me and I will share my contact info if you want to pick my brain on the phone.

Safe hunting
What were your thoughts on their shoulder mounts? I’ve had all 4 of my other trips done a D&P with @gizmo doing the work but this coming trip (with Kuche) I’ll be hunting mostly repeat animals and letting friends (1st timers) do a majority of the hunting. There are a couple animals on the list that if success I’m considering mounting (like klipspringer). Not sure if I want to D&P an animal or two with the rest as Euro’s and maybe a rug or two.

Awesome story and well put together! The tips you give for first timers is great! Some friends and I will be going in 2024 with Kuche Safaris as my friend got the hunt on a Ducks Unlimited auction. I am curious if you got any of your animals mounted by them or what your choice was.
Also, if you or anyone else you know, or anyone reading this has any experience with these auction hunts that would be great!

good hunting!
I’ve done 2 different auction hunts (2 different outfitters) in Africa, and several here in the US. All have been great experiences, but I echo doing some research before bidding. I’ve also done 2 different Africa hunts, that I’ve booked directly with the outfitters and enjoyed those as well. Both of those were for a Big 5 animal, and one was done while already traveling to RSA with Zero research. @Safari Co. Africa was the outfitter and I can’t say enough good things about James, Welsh, and William. I might’ve gotten extremely lucky, given some of the stories I’ve heard. They’re an amazing operation and great group of guys. I’ve even got a buddy, who’s originally from RSA that’s going to be booking a Buffalo hunt with them.

I think the best thing you can do is go into it with your eyes open, and not have unrealistic expectations. Enjoy the adventure and let everything happen that’s gonna happen. Unlike some others, I don’t require great accommodations. I’m fine sleeping in the mud and dirt if it means better hunting. A whore bath, cooking our own food over a fire or freeze dried meals all all fine with me. I’m there to hunt and whatever is going to tip the scales in my favor I’m willing to do.

Excellent report, Thanks for sharing.

What were your thoughts on their shoulder mounts? I’ve had all 4 of my other trips done a D&P with @gizmo doing the work but this coming trip (with Kuche) I’ll be hunting mostly repeat animals and letting friends (1st timers) do a majority of the hunting. There are a couple animals on the list that if success I’m considering mounting (like klipspringer). Not sure if I want to D&P an animal or two with the rest as Euro’s and maybe a rug or two.
Good morning. I am no taxidermy expert but what we saw met or exceeded our standards. The only shoulder mount we are getting is a bushbuck. Everything else will be Euro's. The monster "waterhog" Mamita shot is getting the skull carved by a local artist. With her "slight" accent, it sounds like she is calling them waterhogs instead of warthogs. :LOL:

Just ask your PH to take you to their studio so you can see for yourself. That is what we did. By the way, stop at the bakery that is just before the studio. They have canned pate' of about every South African animal and it is very tasty!

Safe hunting

How do people get their custom loaded ammo into Africa? Like for vintage rifles?

How do people get their custom loaded ammo into Africa? Like for vintage rifles?
Good morning. It’s no different than any other ammo. Follow airline and host nation rules and bring it with you. Cartridge headstamps need to match the rifle. For example, I only bring brass marked 275 Rigby for my wife’s rifle that is a 275 Rigby. I have never had my ammunition checked on 4 trips but I don’t want to take the risk.

safe hunting

^ this ^

I took factory ammo on my first trip over.. every trip after that has been my own hand loads..

just make sure the headstamps match the cartridge stamp on the rifle (dont be using necked up 30-06 brass for your 35 whelen.. make sure if your rifle says 7mm Mauser that your brass says the same thing (as opposed to 275 Rigby)... make sure its in the correct packaging (most airlines/countries your typical plastic MTM box or any "factory" ammo box will be just fine.. then in a locked hard case of some sort)..

I've had SAPS pull a cartridge or two out of the box and look at the stamp briefly on 1 trip.. but Im honestly not sure he actually read it or compared it to what was on the permit paperwork.. I got the impression he was just going through the motions..

but.. I also dont want to take any risks.. its easy enough to follow the "rules"..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!