SOUTH AFRICA: A Lifelong Report!

Keep the story coming @Ike85123. And like @One Day... said, pictures tell a thousand words!

Did your uncle and father serve in North Africa after a pacific tour, or did they just get the itch for more adventure?

Did many Americans try their hands at becoming ivory hunters? I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know!

Keep the story coming @Ike85123. And like @One Day... said, pictures tell a thousand words!

Did your uncle and father serve in North Africa after a pacific tour, or did they just get the itch for more adventure?

Did many Americans try their hands at becoming ivory hunters? I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know!
I really wish i would have paid more attention to their stories. I was young and knew it all. I was a self absorbed teenager. Lol
At 20 i was married with a son and didn't have time. If i would've only knew, my uncle passed away when I was 22 and my dad at 23.
I dont know if alot of Americans became hunters there?
I know my father and uncle went becouse of stories from their dad. My grandfather was a bespoke suit and shoe maker in England. He went on 2 safaris, that was their inspiration. Funny story. My grandfather was 7ft 4in. He became a suit maker because he couldn't afford his clothes to be made.
My Father and uncle both served us navy and cleaned out Japanese held islands in the pacific.
My son gave me the best gift acouple years ago. He somehow found my dadd draft card online and framed it for me.
After the war, they spent 2 years stateside then headed to Africa. My dad returned in the early 50s, my uncle stayed.
My uncle found a curious friend to me. His name was Will, short for Wilhelm i believe. He was a German soldier that came to Africa in the early 50s. He fought the Russians, i think that is the only reason they become friends. Idk, ive never been in war, so a grasp of the true feelings about an ex enemy is something i don't have.
My uncle started working for a import/export company in durban. Mainly bringing in farm implements,garden tools and hand tools.
My uncle always had his eyes on the next hunt. He always employed hunters part time to do deliveries and pick ups. He kept in good graces with them, always had a free hunt lined up.
I know i did more than give an answer to the question you asked. I just felt like rambling on. Truth be told, im hittin the bottle again tonight. My wife has been getting worse, and its all i can do.
Dont worry, im not gonna say a word about hunting. Dont need another episode.
I plan on posting the pics that was asked for, then after proving im not a dam liar, deleting my acct here.
I know my answer about how many ex soldiers was trophy hunters didnt help you. Im sorry, that is all I knowm.

Some of you guys sound like my wife when I get home from being out with the boys with all your questions. Lol. Get on with the story ike some of us here would love to here it.
Sorry, my story telling days are over. Im gonna post the pics, then leave here.
In the words of sgt murtah, im getting too old for this shit !

I really wish i would have paid more attention to their stories. I was young and knew it all. I was a self absorbed teenager. Lol
At 20 i was married with a son and didn't have time. If i would've only knew, my uncle passed away when I was 22 and my dad at 23.
I dont know if alot of Americans became hunters there?
I know my father and uncle went becouse of stories from their dad. My grandfather was a bespoke suit and shoe maker in England. He went on 2 safaris, that was their inspiration. Funny story. My grandfather was 7ft 4in. He became a suit maker because he couldn't afford his clothes to be made.
My Father and uncle both served us navy and cleaned out Japanese held islands in the pacific.
My son gave me the best gift acouple years ago. He somehow found my dadd draft card online and framed it for me.
After the war, they spent 2 years stateside then headed to Africa. My dad returned in the early 50s, my uncle stayed.
My uncle found a curious friend to me. His name was Will, short for Wilhelm i believe. He was a German soldier that came to Africa in the early 50s. He fought the Russians, i think that is the only reason they become friends. Idk, ive never been in war, so a grasp of the true feelings about an ex enemy is something i don't have.
My uncle started working for a import/export company in durban. Mainly bringing in farm implements,garden tools and hand tools.
My uncle always had his eyes on the next hunt. He always employed hunters part time to do deliveries and pick ups. He kept in good graces with them, always had a free hunt lined up.
I know i did more than give an answer to the question you asked. I just felt like rambling on. Truth be told, im hittin the bottle again tonight. My wife has been getting worse, and its all i can do.
Dont worry, im not gonna say a word about hunting. Dont need another episode.
I plan on posting the pics that was asked for, then after proving im not a dam liar, deleting my acct here.
I know my answer about how many ex soldiers was trophy hunters didnt help you. Im sorry, that is all I knowm.
The more info the better!

There’s no need for you to delete your account, no one is going to make you tell your stories if you aren’t comfortable. It’s a pretty decent of gents/gals on here.

I hope your wife makes a turn for the better!

Awesome! Thank you Ike, and we can all dismiss the last few posts that truly do not add anything to the story, and resume your reminiscences :)

In his book A Hunter's Hunter - A Lifetime of African Safari, Robin Hurt tells how he got his first rifle (a Krico .22 LR) at 8, shot his first leopard at 12 with his Grandmother .256 (6.5x54 I assume) Mannlicher, first Buffalo at 14, etc. in the mid to end 1950's in Kenya and I am not aware of anyone questioning him on those. Of course not everyone has Robin Hurt's fame, and this is all wonderfully illustrated with period pictures, and I do not know the realities of rural life in 1970's Rhodesia, and how different, or not, it was from rural life in late 1950's Kenya, but I see no reason to think that Robin Hurt's life experience would be unique amongst this era and this area's youths.

Like sestoppelman I did hiccup in your initial post when I bumped into the 1980 date, but I dismissed it in view of the previous sentence about not being allowed to leave the truck until 15. I assumed that completion of the big 5 automatically implied that it was after you were able to leave the truck, hence after you were 15. Maybe 1990 is the right date? If such is the case, just saying so would go a longer distance that advising folks to go play with themselves in a ways their preacher would reprove of :E Rofl:

All this being said, I stick to my earlier advice in an above post about old pictures ;), and I look forward to seeing them and reading the tale :)

Slightly different from Robin hurt growing up in Kenya back then to the time period ike is talking about, which without going back and ploughing through it again as the sat wifi is on usual go slow is around 1980s I think....and as I said to him I will quite happily apologise..but.....

Sorry, my story telling days are over. Im gonna post the pics, then leave here.
In the words of sgt murtah, im getting too old for this shit !

You already have 760 messages (and 797 likes) on the forum. Time, effort and writing already invested.
It would be bad to leave the forum, just like that. I wish you will reconsider.

Considering the ratio of your messages and likes on the forum (760/797), i would say you have very good rapport with community here, and leaving a forum just because of few comments by very few members, is decision worth reconsidering.

If you are a roughneck as you say you are, I would expect you dont get "offended" so easily. You are supposed to be an internet "pachyderm", hard to bring down. ;)

You already have 760 messages (and 797 likes) on the forum. Time, effort and writing already invested.
It would be bad to leave the forum, just like that. I wish you will reconsider.

Considering the ratio of your messages and likes on the forum (760/797), i would say you have very good rapport with community here, and leaving a forum just because of few comments by very few members, is decision worth reconsidering.

If you are a roughneck as you say you are, I would expect you dont get "offended" so easily. You are supposed to be an internet "pachyderm", hard to bring down. ;)
+1

I would say that @Ike85123 has a few interesting stories to tell us, but is going through a very difficult personal situation, and these stories are not coming out coherently.

Ike, just to take your time, and tell us more, whenever you feel like it.

Wish you the best

An update to this thread.
There wont be any lost or bad picture updates here !
This will happen !
I employed my brothers daughters to go through my dads hangar and find all the photos I need to prove this happened and im not a dam liar !
The hangar is climate controlled, there wont be any excuses !
To continue with a similar story regarding the hangar.
My father has always had an obsession with old aircraft. Before i was born he had 2 corsairs he bought at a scrap auction, part of a p51 and a couple others. He was restoring them at his gathers old farm barn.
Forgive me, im drunk agaim. Might be hard to follow.
For those hhat care or can offer prayers, my sife can use them. The doctor said she is at a bad stage of disease and im not sure what is gonna happen.
Getting back to my dad.
He was never a pilot and never flew anything. He jusr loved the old planes.
I never shared this love, but was happy to learn and help him.
Im not sure when he bought the first planes, before i was born.
But we moveed to arizona in 1977, he brought the planes with him on semi trucks.
He owned a printing corporation by then, sold it amd retired at 61, i believe.
He bought a farm in southwest az and had a hangar build for his hobby planes.
In around 90, same time as my uncle moved back to the states, he sold the farm. He bought a home in paradise valley,az. And a hangar at a nearby airport. He was down to the 2 corsairs and the p51 at this time. The p51 was never finished, and sold in 91.
He originally bought the 2 corsairs, then made one, and spent years to fix the other. As ive said, he was never a pilot as far as i know and never flew anything. He just loved those planes.
My umcle moved back to az in 90, after sa was changing things and getting too crazy for him. My uncle spent about 6mo here, them he and his wife moved to italy. My summer of 90 was a quick hunt, and alot of packing his household from durban. Not much hunting to speak of, thank god. Cause i really dont want to deal with proving that right now ! So hunting stories aside, lets get back on track. My aunt died in italy in 92.
My dad sold 1 of his corsairs like in 93, when my uncle was sick and my dad needed to clear his house out. It sat outside the hangar covered for months. Then finally sold.
My uncle passed away. We cleaned his house out and put everything in the hangar. It was alot. My uncle was very wealthy and had a 6 bedroom home of 9k sq ft. His trophy room/ mancave at about 2500 sq ft.
My uncles other passion was the Toyota land cruiser. My dad hated them, becouse of fighting the Japanese in ww2. I heard several comments of moving them. Lol
After my dad passed away in march of 95, my mother sold the other corsair. Moved all of the her household into the hangar, amd moved in with me amd my forst wife.
I like talking about my father, but this is just explaining.
So in short. I mployed my neices to go through everything. Which is alot. I dont like throwing away money, but dont like to be called a liar either !
I hope you enjoyed more of my family story.
But the truth is, I dont like to be called a.liar. and i want some pics asap !
To those of you that enjoyedy stories. I thank you very much ! Im bad at telling stories, except in person im told.
To those of you that want to deny my experience, i say fuck off.
I will post the pics soon, then I will delete thos acct. And move on with my life.
Im married,have kids,a business owner and a republican! So im pretty much covered for drama for the future !
I will post the pics, then focus on my real life.
I have read this forum for.mamy years. It is a great thing!
I salute you all! Being a hunter isnt always easy in the public eye.
Some of you I have connected with, you are blessed in life ! Ive never seen thos kind of treatment on here. So be real, have a great next hunt !
Those of you who just hate ? Fuck off, that is the best recommendation i can give.
Life is hard and rough. You take it, or you dont get it !
In the words of dave ramsey, kill it amd drag it home !

Awesome! Thank you Ike, and we can all dismiss the last few posts that truly do not add anything to the story, and resume your reminiscences :)

In his book A Hunter's Hunter - A Lifetime of African Safari, Robin Hurt tells how he got his first rifle (a Krico .22 LR) at 8, shot his first leopard at 12 with his Grandmother .256 (6.5x54 I assume) Mannlicher, first Buffalo at 14, etc. in the mid to end 1950's in Kenya and I am not aware of anyone questioning him on those. Of course not everyone has Robin Hurt's fame, and this is all wonderfully illustrated with period pictures, and I do not know the realities of rural life in 1970's Rhodesia, and how different, or not, it was from rural life in late 1950's Kenya, but I see no reason to think that Robin Hurt's life experience would be unique amongst this era and this area's youths.

Like sestoppelman I did hiccup in your initial post when I bumped into the 1980 date, but I dismissed it in view of the previous sentence about not being allowed to leave the truck until 15. I assumed that completion of the big 5 automatically implied that it was after you were able to leave the truck, hence after you were 15. Maybe 1990 is the right date? If such is the case, just saying so would go a longer distance that advising folks to go play with themselves in a ways their preacher would reprove of :E Rofl:

All this being said, I stick to my earlier advice in an above post about old pictures ;), and I look forward to seeing them and reading the tale :)
Eisenhower James was my uncles name.
He knew roger and his son.
Im sure his son new my uncle ?

Damn, this pissing match is almost as much fun as I’ve had in quite a while
Ike ; very sorry about your wives situation. Lots of us have suffered through similar, prayers for u both. I for one believe you and would enjoy more if you ever care to share
But by watching AH for quite a while you shouldn’t be too surprised to have a few bust your balls. Think we’ve all been cooped up way too long

Ike whatever the issue is with your wife I hope its treatable and she gets better....cheers
Thank you, I appreciate it !
She has rheumatoid arthritis and a couple other conditions.
But her pain for the ra is in the red. They said she had 5 to 10 yrs left, 10 yrs ago. We have worked through it pretty good, as far as the previous diagnosis.
But not done fighting for a long shot!!!
Been up with her all night, 740am here. Gonna get a nap. Still have a business to run .

I have been a hunter for many years.
I was a vocal hunter til i was attacked in 2004 by everybody including animal rights groups on fb. I had death threats and and they contacted my family and business contacts.
But here is my story !
It started in summer of 1978. I was 6 yrs old.
My father and uncle went to south africa in 1946 after ww2. My dad and uncle was on a detail clearing Japanese islands.my dad was a 7th son of 8 children. My dad said they wasn't allowed to carry weapons, to not give away their position, the thinking at the time. My dad was given a throwing knife a commando knife and a piano string with 2 hooks. I have heard many stories about the firearms collected. And the strafes of zero fighters. It all scares the hell out of me. I've never known a fuller man than my father . My father was also selected for detail on the us indiana. I heard many stories here about the attack and the sharks. I wish i had the ability to give the real emotional story. I was not given that. My father would never talk about it much. I only learned things when older guys came over and watched and talked with my dad.
But lets go to to summer of 78. Whe. I was 6 i soaked in the knowledge of my family.
My father and uncle moved to Africa in 47.
I arrived at my uncle's house, for summer break. My uncle like my father came in the 40's after the war. They hunted ivory and other trophy for high paying clients. They hunted with some of the best in history.
The stories ive heard about leopard and lion hunts with 303's and a 3006 is is too many to talk about!
My story starts as a 6yr old.
I seen africa at 6yrs old. Too much too soon. It was mesmerizing! A young boy only experienced by the west virginia and arizona wilderness?
It was like a new life !
My father was a hard man. I grew up to the switch and belt. But he was a fair man and a loving father!
My uncle came for a visit in july 1978. My fathers stories collided with my uncles.
I was offered to spend the summer break with my uncle.
I stepped off the plane with a smell never experienced!
Ths first summer i got a kudu at 50in. At 6yrs old. I knew i was hooked!
In 1978 i returned for xmas break with my parents. I went on fabulous hunts, including a leopard blind hunt.
I went on several hunts the next few years.
I was finally out of the truck at 15.
I completed my first big 5, in 1980. Much cheaper then. Just my uncle and paying a farmer.
Well that is my experience up to 16.
I only futhered it, so far.
Im drunk tonight. Im not too good at explaining thimgs.
But i hope it excites you ?
Im 5 for 5 for except for 1 rhino . And 74 for 100 on buffalo. My life goals.
I really hope i dont get grief from this post.
Ive been out of the game for awhile. But hopefully will finish my life list.
Not as cheap as it was before, but hopefully doable.
Im dumb to to guns except what ive used reloading and the normal safari of these days.
But i gladly help any with general questions?
I have faced many animals. Im sure i have more to give, im just haven't been good with words !
@Ike85123
Mate you have led a life many of us could only dream of and fortunate to have lived in those times.
There are a lot of dickheads in the world that condemn hunting and refuse to listen to reason of any kind. They should be ignored the best we can a nd called out for what they really are.
This is an example chronoed of sheer lunacy that has the majority of Australian people laughing at them.
At the moment we have a massive mouse plague in NSW Australia.
The animal rights group PETA want baiting of this infestation that is causing 100s of millions of dollars damage. PETA say the Mice should not be denied the right to food and shouldn't be harmed at all. They are going as far as saying the mice should be caught alive and be relocated. At the moment PETA has no credibility in Australia.
It's the same as t h e majority of animal libbers.
It is a disgrace you have suffered these indignities in pursuit of your sport and I sincerely hope you fulfill your ambitions.
Good luck mate
Bob

Im 48, 49 in nov.
Just seemed so much has changed.

My last hunt was 2014.
Im just not technically literate.
I just know what i know, tics people off.
I can't put in to words what ive experienced.
So some deny me.
But i can't relate. I don't reload or know all the rifles or calibers. So i feel stupid !
Even with life experience. Some look at me like a dumb redneck, cause i dont know specifics or rifles.
I was just never around except was i was around.
@Ike85123
You don't need to know everything about everything. You know what works for you and have seen it work when PROPERLY used. There is no need to feel stupid, you may not know as much as others, you may know more than others but you are just as good as All of them. Be proud of your achievements and revel in the fact you have more LIFE EXPERIENCE than a lot your age.
My son is 16 and an avid hunter, he went to Namibia at the age of 14 to hunt and is proud of the fact he has done stuff some adults will never do. People at our local gun club were talking about what gun to use on Africa plains game. Some of the stuff was a bit over the top.
My son said all you need is a 308. They laughed and said what would you know young'n. He got his phone out and showed them pictures of the game he shot and politely walked away leaving a bunch of red faces behind. Stand tall and be proud mate.
Bob

One really special hunt was when my dad mom and me was taking xmas holiday.
We had a Blesbok, zebra, Wildebeest and a few warthog.
We was in Botswana, just over the border .
We were tracking a herd.
My dad was looking for a huge old buff bull.
But that day we took 7 lions .
Might sound unheard off. Thay is why i dont log my hunts.
We found ourselves in the middle of a huge herd. We was back tracking, then found the lions.
We detoured again, but found the lions tracking us.
It was a special situation.
I will see how the comments go, before i continue this story. Lol
@Ike85123
The hunter becomes the hunted, go on
Bob

Watched out of Africa again a few days ago. Meryl Streep talked about being a "Mental Traveller"

I didn't start my African Adventure until I was around your age, and I sure as heck am not done.

For many years I suppose I was a "Mental Traveller " to Africa as well.

When you mentioned the Indianapolis I had visions of Richard Dreyfuss and Robert Shaw comparing their scars .

Craig

Hey @Ike85123 hope your wife is doing better and you are feeling to continue the story :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!