Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
On my recent Safari in the Waterberg Mountains I brought 2 Rifles. I packed a .243 and a .375 in the same case. I started a recent post about the .243. Both rifles are left handed.

I’ll digress a moment:
I’m primarily right handed, but naturally shoot left and that’s how I’ve been shooting the last 46 years! I shoot well right handed, but it feels a little awkward.

For years I shot a RH Browning A Bolt SS Stalker in 7mm REM MAG with a Leopold VX-3 scope (I bought the scope on eBay- slightly used) with great success. Ive taken up to an Eland and 5 or 6 Elk effectively with the 7MM. It is an amazingly accurate rifle and I shot it with unusual confidence up to 330 yards… That said, I passed on a nice Wyoming mule deer at 400 plus yards, and what would have been a drastic downward angle, because I wasn’t prepared for the distance or angle and didn’t want to risk wounding the buck and/or embarrassing myself by lobbing shots recklessly. Note: my hunting partner on that 2/1 hunt had a go at the same mule deer. He told me he was capable because he regularly shot ballons out to 500 yards and knew this rifle well. So I wait at the truck; then I hear 5 shots go off in less than a minute. He and the guide get back to the truck in short order and I asked what happened? “I missed”, he says… I said “WELL, I COULD HAVE DONE THAT! That’s when I decided to get a long range hunting rifle; in left hand.

After some research, I had Bob Beck at MOA Rifles in Redmond Oregon build me a .300 RUM with a Nightforce Zero Stop scope. I also sent him a new TIKKA .243, a new SAKO .375 H&H, and had him build a .22-250 on a 700 Remington action that had a shot out barrel and damaged stock (I inherited the .22-250). All 3 of the additional rifles sent to MOA are left handed and got fited with Nightforce Zero-stops.

The Tikka got a trigger job, new stock, and accurized along with custom Ammo. I think the .375 was accurate out of the box and got tested out to 500 yards with custom Barnes TSX 270 grains. The .22-250 got fully customized with a new stock, trigger, barrel, coated, and cute muzzle break - because I wanted a threaded barrel, they threw one on.

The .300 RUM Purchase (at the time) came with a shooting school, which ended up being a 2 day class where I was able to hit targets out to 2,000 yards and 1 Mile respectively. I didn’t think this was possible for a hunting rifle, but I’ve done it at 3 different shooting schools and it has been a big confidence booster for me. I also use Range finding Bino’s (Ziess Victory RF) with ballistic solver and a Kestrel Elite Meter at these shooting events. I brought the Bino’s on this trip.

This background info should provide enough info as to why I chose to only use my .375 for the croc and not the other animals on my recent hunt in SA. The .375 SAKO I have now replaced a beautiful RH SAKO .375 Finnbear that has taken several animals very effectively including a Giraffe and Buff and I shoot them both equally well. The .243 is laser accurate and the Barnes TTSX 80 grain is an effective killer! **My opinion and I’m not here to convert or argue. Although, it did dispatch 10 animals this trip or 8 if you don’t count culling some nuisance baboons!

Back to the Croc!

Riaan says the permit is in and we will meet up with his old friend Reinhard at a special place. He also mentions that when we get there I need to re-zero my rifle from the 200 yard zero to 100 yard zero. Wednesday we meet Reinhard at his new house, have a coffee, get aquatinted, and we’re off to change the zero. To be honest, it’s been awhile since I’ve done this exercise with my Zero stop scope, so I watched a video the night before! Custom Barnes .375H&H 270 Grn TSX are expensive, so I didn’t want to be on the bench for too many rounds. At the 100 yard range I pull the cap, back off the clutch screws and loosen, make adjustment, tighten clutch, replace caps, and within 2 shots I’m good! I shouldn’t have had the 3rd cup off coffee and Reinhard’s! I got jittery for no other reason.

BD4D8160-10DA-4CEF-84D5-C54A7C4E0EE9.jpeg

7D0E0BC3-8C33-4D84-87EE-82CBF6ABC302.jpeg

Lots of animals on this vast property. It’s a special place for both Riaan and Reinhard because they both spent atheir youth on this property and have so many memories… Really, it’s their story to tell… So, if you ever book with Riaan at Boseveld Jacobs you can ask him about his father, who is a well known Leopard hunter and author, who also once owned this property. And if you meet and hunt with Reinhard you can ask him about his relationship with this amazing property.

Before we leave for the Croc hunting areas, Riaan reminds me of our previous nights conversation about shot placement.

Ken and I next to a pond we scouted with Riaan and Reinhard. Traces of crocs, but no one home.

199AD95A-B22C-4261-A7E4-E27594295F04.jpeg

After scouting the creek and pond we head back to the truck. On the way back Reinhard talks to one of the ranch hands he sees driving on the same road we are on who reports that two crocs were seen a few miles up the road near a stream and another pond. Reinhard reiterates the importance of being quite and walking softly. He also mentions there are likely more crocs around! And these crocs walk a lot more than most people realize. After ascending a bit we came over a small pass and pull over off the road about a 100 yards or so from a low narrow concrete bridge that also dams a stream.

B609B540-BC63-4E29-B84E-10626D234A64.jpeg
Off the truck and Reinhard takes lead, Riaan behind him, I’m third, Yuri (Riaan’s PH Apprentice) behind me with a video camera, and ,I later learn, Kenny is lagging in the rear! The bush thickens with trees and brush, steps are accounted for, but I can’t see much except Riaan in front of me. We slowly make or way to the top of the edge of the stream bank and stop. Riaan points, I come forward, he says “Nice Croc”! I say where? He points and now I can make out a larger part of a good sized tail on the other side of the stream bank. Just the tail. Reinhard leans in and says “we must quietly” make our way down so you can line up a clear shot, but we must not spoke him”. I’m told to chamber a round, I do so and engage the safety. Riaan tells me “the Croc is right along the bank and to aim behind the smile, but in the middle, to be certain to hit the spine”. He quickly reiterates to “be prepared to immediately shoot again in the spine and one more behind the shoulder”. Honestly, all I was thinking about was where the other Croc was! We quietly make our way down the bank and walk to the right to get a clear view of the Croc and then we stop! Riaan looks back with frustration and says “what the hell is Mr. Ken doing?!” Well, I didn’t realize he is 25 yards back on the stream bank and not “quietly” making his way down! Riaan tells him to “get down here with us!” And gives him the walk soft signal… Which Riaan does with his hands and it translates well enough that Ken makes it down without spooking the Croc... I’m concerned, but not irritated. I’m just thinking about getting a clear shot, getting on the sticks, lining up on target, safety off, and not missing my first shot! And following up on my second! Kenny catches up we all slowly move into position. I’m watching Riaan set up the shooting sticks, (an exercise I seen from him more times than I can remember), as I move slowly towards him, Reinhard is to my left and back slightly Ken and Yuri are slightly back and out of the way. I quickly get the SAKO on the sticks, Riaan to my right, left hand on my shoulder, “you got this, right behind the smile” and now I realize he is a good size Croc! Quickly I get my head down, it’s a close shot (40 yards +\-) line it up, safety off, index finger with light pressure on the trigger, quick breath, and the trigger breaks… No recoil felt… “Great shot” from Riaan as I cycle the bolt, I quickly send another in the same spot. “Awesome shooting Mr. Lino”, “Now another on the shoulder”! The third shot hits the mark and just like that I think it’s done… But it’s not! We have to go over and put one in the brain with a .22LR. This means I have to walk down along the bank, and along side the Croc, and place the .22 rifle barrel in the center of the skull just back from between the eyes and shoot it. Well, the spine is severed and it is lung shot or possibly heart shot, but the jaw is still moving! I did what was required and now it’s done…

87CC80CA-78E1-479A-9A21-41202561518E.jpeg

AB3812D8-E3A6-43C3-B2FC-B7514AD7BBB3.jpeg

FCF282B9-82BB-41A1-9628-62140C52657C.jpeg

This Picture of Riaan is from a video clip seconds after my last shot. A great memory for me!

2DFD2EDD-5AB3-4BE9-B369-F2C7FDB3A812.jpeg

1EFE6B4E-050E-4DE5-8AAB-2CF8D375B34E.jpeg

64441189-E107-40A1-A04B-756247FF44DB.jpeg

The second Croc was just on the other side of the spillway dam…

B0E56808-804F-4BC4-8B7D-34B79358191E.jpeg

It’s hard to imagine Crocs in the mountains at this elevation.

2C37D9C8-C95D-452C-BA34-6686D859B341.jpeg

0486CF1F-E46B-4BB5-AAD6-50D191ACA163.jpeg

Joshua, Reinhard, and the guy that didn’t mess it up!

I had no idea where we would hunt, what the set up would be, or even if I would be successful. I had read enough, or heard enough, about what happens if you make a bad shot and the danger involved in retrieving a wounded croc from a deep river, lake, or pond. I was really fortunate to have this experience in the mountains and to have made some good shots.

902AD406-E99E-443E-9B6E-87F1003CB4E6.jpeg

BA6B99B7-E816-4D84-96AC-701E14DAA126.jpeg

270 Grain Barnes retrieved from the big lizard

63389CD2-0315-4097-AF1B-17247AA698AF.jpeg

Lunch celebration at Reinhard’s house. Lamb chops!

E0A5AF8D-0E6C-4753-991A-03468DB6BB5A.jpeg

Congrats! on a great hunt and thanks for taking us along. Nice croc. I didn't realize they would get up into those mountain ponds and streams. Very different terrain for hunting crocodiles. Very cool!

I'm surprised that crocs are that high in elevation myself! Thanks for sharing an interesting hunt.

Forgive my typo’s and grammar. This post was from my iPhone and took way too long! Sheesh!
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this report, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your hunt and your pictures are amazing!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross