SOUTH AFRICA: .243 On Safari In The Waterberg Mountains!

NIGHTHAWK

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
I Booked this trip in January this year at Vegas SCI after my dear friend Steve (he’s in his 70’s) showed interest and finalized it after confirming a New Zealand hunt was not available (at the time) for this year. Side note: most of the NZ outfitters that were there had US reps in their booths and were noncommittal for this year.

Having hunted 3 times in SA with two other outfitters, and hunting most of my desired animals over these previous trips, I honestly had no great desire to go back before I hunted other countries/continents. The exception would be that I knew I would once again hunt with my old friend, and trusted PH, Riaan Jacobs at Boseveld Jacobs Safaris, as well as the opportunity to share that with Steve; I couldn’t say no!

Back at SCI for a moment: Steve and I were both looking for a moose hunt and soon realized most were booked for 2022 and 2023. A moose hunt was a bucket list hunt for Steve and certainly desirable for me! He wanted to go and I agreed to join him. As we made our way through the fairly slow show, we are able to get right in and talk to most outfitters. I also wanted a Spain Hunt, but New Zealand was at the top of my list. New Zealand out, Spain and an Ibex slam was the goal. I also have the desire to extend my stay in Spain and do some touring and sightseeing. I got good info, talked dates and numbers l, but didn’t commit for this year.

Steve and I made our way over to the Boseveld Jacobs booth and sat a while with Riaan and caught up on life’s events! Then we started reminiscing about all our adventures together. Including hunting the free state area, Waterberg Mountains and other areas of the Limpopo. After an extended conversation with Riaan, Steve and I decided to talk to another friend, who has (Duck Creek Outfitters) in Saskatchewan, to line up a Goose and Duck hunt for myself and a few others I’ve hunted there with on two other occasions. Two steps away from the Boseveld booth Steve tells me he would like to hunt South Africa!

Side note: Steve, as well as a large group of North American big game hunters, generally have a misconception of what hunting in South Africa is… Most of you have heard the generalizations! “Fences, flat and unattractive ranch hunts, travel hassles, and most of the general 3rd world problems” that they think will be problematic! Well, I was both, surprised, and thrilled, to hear he now wants to go! Steve is a cancer survivor and up there in age, so I suggested we have a cocktail and sit a minute to confirm his desire. I asked him when the shift occurred? Why South Africa? He said after seeing my reunion and authentic joy when recounting some of the many hunting stories with Riaan, he realized it was something really special that he should experience. Riaan also made the point to him about what “we” as North American hunters tend to spend on a single Elk or Deer hunt with an outfitter and the opportunities in SA for the same or similar costs.

As a practice, I don’t try to convert people. I try the best I can to share my experiences with people who are receptive, and move on if they are not. “Work with the willing”! A brief conversation with Steve convinced me he understood the commitment and was ready to book! We stopped by Duck Creek and I lined up dates for this years Duck and Goose hunt, then back to book our Safari. The evening of our booking, Steve and I both share our plans with two of our friends. Ken, my fishing partner and John, Steve’s hunting partner, both, without hesitation, ask to come along. Ken as an observer and John as a third hunter -now we are four. Next day at SCI (we had 3 day passes) I set it up with Riaan and confirm dates for end of August to September.

Airfare: After a few days of watching prices drop dramatically, we book - cheap at $750. Steve and I upgraded to comfort plus. We flew San Francisco to Atlanta to Joberg on full flights. Comfort + is helpful on the extra seat room, leg room, and the seats recline a little more. Didn’t drink much on the flights. Didn’t sleep much either. Sky lounge on each leg - thx AMEX. Great perk!

Also can’t imagine flying without TSA Precheck and Global entry.

Landed 1 hour late due to toilet paper stocking on our Atlanta flight… Go figure.

Land at Joberg at 5:45pm promptly and we were met by the Rifle Permits.com staff (Sign in hand) at the waiting area to sort out our permits and pick up our rifles. Steve and I had two rifles each per case. Quick and easy! Worth the $150…

As we exited, the AfricaSky Guest house driver (who was coordinated by Henry’s Staff) was already there with our luggage loaded: thanks Ken and John for helping…

One more hunter from the US (Midwest) also staying at AfricaSky joined us on the ride from JNB. A clean comfortable van with a small cargo trailer was promptly loaded. Side note: local “luggage cart collectors” are there to collect the carts and may collect your gear along with the cart if you are not careful! Our driver told them to “stay back and wait!” Keep in mind it is later, dark out and not well lit in the parking garage of JNB. So for those not familiar with this set up, be aware! It’s easy to feel rushed and lose track of something small or critical in a cart, that will be taken away by others, and that could impact your trip!

AfricaSky House staff are warm and friendly, very helpful and comforting. The place is nice and clean with great food and service. A good nights rest and breakfast was the perfect start for our next leg. Henk, Riaan’s brother, was there 15 minutes early to pick us up! I was happy to see Henk as he was on my Buffalo hunt in the Waterberg mountains in 2014. That was a special hunt and day for me! Quick introductions, and a little reminiscing with Henk while the gear was loaded in the new passenger van, and we were off to camp. Henk was my videographer on my Buff hunt. He is also a part time PH.

Image1662834941.766555.jpg
68270944426__80C115A6-8B3B-4626-AC1D-4507E86C0AF0.fullsizerender.JPG

68271029521__FDEE0273-E30C-49C2-8944-9DF113016490.JPG

68271116934__E4C14C36-51F0-4460-8177-D49A8BF96F7E.fullsizerender.JPG

We stopped for some personal specialty items like whiskey and vodka, as well as snacks for the road. The drive is normally 2 1/2 hours without stops. 3 hours later we were stopping in Vaalwater at Riaan’s bar and restaurant the “Bush Baboon” for a beer prior to going to the lodge.

Image1662835188.308038.jpg

After a beer and a few laughs we arrive at camp for lunch. All the meals were amazing and ranged from tenderloin from game previously hunted to beef and lamb! There was a different gourmet meal every night and delicious hot breakfast every morning. Lunch was either grilled sausage or similar in the field and/or sandwiches. One afternoon we had Kudu burritos!

Image1662835321.998008.jpg

Image1662835526.261019.jpg

Image1662835592.387725.jpg

Image1662835630.829903.jpg

Image1662835653.009639.jpg

Image1662835692.339879.jpg

Shortly after lunch, we head out to a Pecan ranch to sight in the rifles. I’m with Drian, another PH who works for Bosveld Jacobs in his Toyota Hilux, which is well outfitted for hunting. Within a 100 yards of entering the gate, a huge Dugga Boy, massive!, I’m told 48”! He is on the neighboring property right next to the fence and pissed! Kicking up dust, shaking his head, blowing and snorting!! He is on a property that is 28,000 acres and available to hunt. He is matching pace with the trucks and quickly spins to greet and challenge the Land Cruiser with Steve, John, and Jacques (PH) who is driving. I was blown away… My phone isn’t handy, but we stop any for a moment. This older bull is kicked out of the heard and terribly agitated and, I’m told, is available to hunt…More about him later.

Sighting in at the 100 yard range.
Both my .243 and .375H&H were sighted for 200 yards. One shot each at the 100 yard range confirmed the 200 yard zeros and I’m good to go. Similar results from Steve’s rifle. Side note: Steve brought a .300 RUM to shoot himself and a 7MM REM MAG for his friend John to shoot. John was not familiar with this rifle and had a difficult time getting the 7MM aligned for a good zero. He thought he may be “pulling it” when he shot. After several shots and some slight adjustments he got what he needed for a zero. **A bigger problem was the riffle permits were in Steve’s name! John wasn’t allowed to travel with or shoot that 7MM anyway. He reluctantly shot his PH’s 300 WIN MAG, but with good success. This permit issue was not a big deal as John quickly adjusted to his PH’s rifle.

Image1662835763.452617.jpg

Waterberg Mountains:

This being my 4th trip to SA, and having hunted a lot of the Limpopo, including a couple times in the Waterberg, as well as the free state, my list of animals were more unique than my hunting partners. I was looking for more of the Tiny Ten, Crocodile, Roan, Tsessebee, Bushpig Boar, Honeybadger, and a few small cats. After sighting in our rifles, we went for and afternoon drive around the ranch to check things out.
Image1662835880.131779.jpg

Image1662835923.574091.jpg

Image1662835961.650455.jpg

Image1662835986.970888.jpg

Monday:

After a 45 minute drive we arrive at one of Boseveld Jacobs concessions; a 25,000 acre pecan farm and game ranch. It is an amazing property with streams, ponds, spring fed creeks and an abundance of game. Several herds of Buffalo and just about all the plains game you can desire. On this particular property I only saw a few Gemsbok…

We saw a heard of beautiful Golden Wildebeest and sat and watched them for a while. I found a nice Bull and decided to take him. First shot at 280 yards with the .243, there’s a decent breeze from right to left, as he was slightly quartering away and I hit him hard in a rib for a lung shot and nicked the spine. He went straight down. Riaan comments at home fast this little gun is and is happy to see the bull go down! I was thrilled myself. I’m shooting Custom loaded Barnes 80 Gr. TTSX (By MOA Rifles).
Image1662836044.796514.jpg

Image1662836071.943969.jpg

Bull loaded and off to the property’s skinning shed. Joshua our skinner, whom I’ve hunted with in 2013 and 2014 stays back to care of the Wildebeest. Patrick, the ranch owner, comes over to greet us and I got acquainted with his two dogs. Not sure the breed, but one of the dogs scratched its own eye so bad that it had two be removed. The other one, called peanut, was a pup with a lot of character, and being a dog guy, I looked forward to seeing him again. We BS for a while. Patrick and I have common work history in the underground pipeline business, so we swap stories and experiences. Joshua stays to take care of the Wildebeest.

Back out to scout the mountain tops for Klipspringer. We get close to one of the peaks in the land cruiser and two Klipspringer appear and then quickly disappear in the bush. A 100 yards up the road we start to ascend the next peak on a fairly steep incline and the truck stops abruptly. One Klipspringer in the road 200 yards up towards the top of the peak. Another in the rocks and brush to our right. Riaan says I must wait because the one in the road was not a shooter. Looking through my Nightforce Scope it is a small target! I
have a 200 yard zero, so I make no adjustments. A flash of fur goes by in my scope and the shooter ram is now to the left of the smaller one still in the road and he is now standing on a rock between bushes . Riaan says shoot when I can. I let one fly without hesitation and it quickly hits center mass behind the shoulder and passes straight through. This all happens very fast! 11:15 and my second animal is down…

Image1662836251.606887.jpg

Klipspringer pictures taken with the Beautiful Waterberg mountains and valleys in the backdrop. We load up and back to drop the Klipspringer off to Joshua. After we clean up a bit and celebrate the good luck we’ve had, it’s time for lunch and an afternoon hammock nap! Lunch is cooked on a brick grill next to a mountain spring fed pond; it was the perfect location! Kudu sausage grilled to perfection on a roll with some chips hits the spot. 1 long hammock nap and two hours later, we’re off to check cameras and bait for a Bushpig and other active night feeders. First we pick up Joshua.

Image1662836339.490907.jpg

Image1662836383.634621.jpg

While we are out we see a big Common Reedbuck ram with three does. Riaan tells me he put in for a permit for me, even though he knows I’ve shot one with him in 2013. He tells me that this is an unusually nice Reedbuck and I should consider it. I do think they are beautiful and give it some consideration and pass -for now…

We see several herds of cow Buffalo with babies and a nice heard of bulls! We also see nice groups of Impala with some black Impala mixed in, lots of Sable, Blesbok, big herds of both Blue and Golden Wildebeest, Kudu, Tsessebee, nice Eland, a couple mountain Reedbuck does, plenty of warthog and Giraffe. Lots of baboon too… Some needed culling!

Image1662836434.782649.jpg

Image1662836490.633869.jpg

Image1662836571.736347.jpg

Riaan and Joshua check the feeder and realize the automatic dispenser is misaligned and they have to work on it a bit… Feeder fixed and trail cam card switched, it’s time to head back for dinner.

Dinner: Kudu tenderloin on the wood grill adjacent to the campfire at the lodge. Mushroom soup, Salad, Toasted bread, pan fried potatoes with onions and seasoning, beer and wine for those that want it… Delicious every night! Not one bad meal this whole trip.

Image1662836604.679952.jpg

Image1662836649.500020.jpg

Tuesday:

Early hot breakfast at the lodge and we’re off to hunt. Tsessebee are the desired target, but on the way out we see the big common Reedbuck. We stop to look at it at 100 yards and I pass again… 1/4 mile up the road and we see the single Tsessebee bull by himself at 250 yards. A bull Riaan has seen before and confirms he’s the one we want! Riaan wants to be closer, but it’s open range with little cover. The bull runs out another 50 yards to 300 yards. We close to 280, I take a couple clicks of elevation, look through the scope, and he’s facing and looking right at us. We wait. I check my bubble to avoid relaxing and canting my rifle. It’s a long wait to get him to at least turn away to be at least quartered towards us! Riaan says he’s still at 280 yards and to put it on the front of his right shoulder and don’t shoot. I try to focus on breathing, I shift the safety off, the bull starts to turn slightly left to reveal a quartering shot, Riaan says take him on the right front shoulder, my finger quickly breaks the two pounds needed to release the trigger. The bullet finds the right shoulder exactly where I aimed, and with a loud “thwack!” he’s straight down! Riaan yells “damn man, that thing is fast”! He says again, “I love that .243!” Smiles, hand shakes, and pictures, then we’re heading back to the skinning shed to repeat the process.

Image1662836753.771167.jpg

While Joshua is taking care of the Tsessebee, we go to look for mountain Reedbuck and check the feeder and bait pile. Driving on this vast property and into the peaks of some of these mountains is amazing. We see Eland and Sable with stunning mountain and valley backdrops. We don’t see any Mountain Reedbuck this pass… The land cruiser handles all the terrain without issue. Ken is clearly mesmerized by all the game he sees and the vastness of the region. He takes a lot of pictures seems to thoroughly enjoy the journey. I normally hunt alone with PH and tracker. I wasn’t sure if I would be nervous or burdened by an observer, but I didn’t express these feelings to Ken. I quickly adjust to Ken’s presence and come to appreciate his company. I was Ken’s apprentice Steamfitter starting when I was 19. We’ve fished together on my boats over the last 30 years and have had many good times on the ocean. This was our first time on a hunt together. Time for lunch.

Image1662836903.775412.jpg

Image1662837065.679709.jpg

Lunch under a big tree is Eland burgers, salad, fruit, and cookies. Another Hammock nap, snoring competition, and I’m ready to hunt! First we’re off to check the feeder for tonight’s hunt. Along the way we look for Mountain Reedbuck, but none of these mysterious creatures can be found.

Image1662836844.755166.jpg

Feeder checked and gut pile replenished, we head to Riaan’s place in Vaalwater to grab night hunting gear. Joshua stays back to process the Tsessebee and take care of some other duties.

Night hunting gear collected and were on our way to the blind for tonight’s hunt. We stop and pick up Riaan’s apprentice (Yuri) (SP?). He’s a big young man with great manners and a gentle spirit. Hard working and focused on doing a good job. I come to appreciate his company and attention to detail. Yuri drops off Riaan and I at the blind and we quickly get set up for the night. Cameras indicate that pigs come in as early as 6:30pm. We get into our warm gear and set up sticks against the brush blind at about 50 yards from the feeder. I have a small pack with some water, power bars, and an assortment of items -including headlight and batteries. Yuri and Ken drive off to wait in the land cruiser a couple miles away.

Image1662837170.021449.jpg

Night comes quick. The stars are brilliant. Living currently, and most of my life, within 25 miles of San Francisco, the light pollution dulls the view of the nights sky! In these mountains I find myself mesmerized by the amount of stars that can be seen! Star gazing is soon interrupted by snorting, grunting, and shuffling of feet through the brush and leaves. Riaan, looking through his FLIR mono, whispers “Bushpig”… I say how many? He shushes me! I sit. He whispers, “big sow with a smaller one behind it”. I see the red light come on and dimly light the area around the feeder. Riaan tells me to slowly stand. I do as slowly and quietly as possible. I can tell by his frustrating exhale, that Riaan doesn’t think it is was quiet enough! Lol! He tells me to get my rifle on the sticks and be ready. My legs are shaky but I’m able to manage getting my rifle up and in position without issue. However, more frustrating exhales follow, but the pigs don’t hear us! He tells me to prepare to shoot when the sow clears, but he first has to confirm the second pig is a boar. I look through the Nightforce and can make out both pigs, but cannot see my crosshairs. Now I’m standing there for what seems an eternity and the pigs are not moving! They are quartering away and feeding. I turn on the illumination on the scope and the crosshairs are now visible against the sow. Now the distance seems further, but I know it isn’t. It just seems like it due to the darkness and my eyes looking at the illumination of the crosshairs. Riaan again tells me to be ready. Within seconds the sow clears. Riaan says wait! He tells me he can’t tell if the other pig is a boar. I can see it’s head is down and it’s quartering away! “I’m ready”, he says “wait”! With a firm whisper… They both get startled by something and run off! He tells me to remain ready. Another pig approaches - another big sow!

I learn later that the red light was “weak” a replacement for the green one that recent failed! The new green light is a couple days out… The red light is not bright enough to help him confirm the boar. An hour later and we are packing it up for the night.

Back to the lodge for a late dinner and plans for the next days Croc hunt!

Image1662837360.249512.jpg

Image1662837302.554081.jpg

Image1662837236.393099.jpg

More to come….

Attachments

• Image1662834304.588180.jpg
    Image1662834304.588180.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 68270944426__80C115A6-8B3B-4626-AC1D-4507E86C0AF0.fullsizerender.JPG
    68270944426__80C115A6-8B3B-4626-AC1D-4507E86C0AF0.fullsizerender.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 98
Thursday August 25th:

The day starts as most do. At breakfast I’m asked what we should look for. I have my heart set on a Mountain Reedbuck. I tell Riaan we should keep looking because he knows they are on both the nearby ranches. But, that’s over 50,000 acres between them!

We have also seen a nice Black Impala Ram and I’m interested.

We get to one of the two mountain ranches, and after some driving in the peaks, we don’t see any Mountain Reedbuck! On the way back down in the tall grass, out in the bigger part of the flat valley, are Impala. Riaan says the shooter Ram is there. They are 600/700 yards out, but he sees enough through his Bino’s to spot it. We drive closer, they move closer to the bottom of the lower hills and rocks. We park away and wait. They move up into the rocks and trees. After a while we see they are coming out and run across the shorter part of this valley. We get to within 380 yards and they start moving across to another area with steeper hills. We wait. We move parallel and they stay within 400 yards. This goes on for an hour or so. Finally, Riaan asks if I want to take the Black Ram at 380 yards? I hesitate and say let me check the Dope. I quickly check through my RF Bino’s and get the elevation I need. I dial from Zero. We have a good breeze from right to left. I dial based on what I can tell from the grass moving closest to the Impala. This happens fast. I’m in my scope now and I have a good rest with the safety on. They start to move (right to left) and the Ram is slightly quartering away. I wait. Riaan says “you need to shoot as soon he stops”. Safety off, he stops, I adjust to just behind the shoulder, wind is still there so I don’t dial for anymore, he is still at 380 yards, I squeeze the trigger, and as I do, he moves forward! That bullet is fast, so I hear and see it hit! As soon as I shoot, Riaan says “HE MOVED, but you hit him”! This doesn’t help my feelings of knowing I should have waited for a better shot! Or at least waited for the heard to settle! Plus, it’s a longer shot with wind! I’m not second guessing my abilities or the rifle, just my feelings about rushing the shot. Hell, I’ve hit targets out to 1,000 yards with more wind. *Not this rifle, but the same set up.

The heard runs off straight into the upper part of the valley and the Black Ram gallops off right and up into the rocks and trees. He’s gut shot and I feel like shit! We quickly close the distance and get set up to finish him at a little over 200 yards, uphill, in the rocks. Except, he’s in the rocks behind some trees. He’s standing broadside, but I just see his head and chest behind some branches and leaves! I want to move, but am prompted to wait. A few minutes later, he steps out enough to put one right on the shoulder and he’s down.

Well, I should have waited for a different shot. Not necessarily a closer shot, but at least one where there was less overall pressure on all accounts. I’ve been hunting long enough to know these things happen, it just didn’t sit well with me! I eventually got over it…

F74FED91-28FB-4CBF-980F-4267B33FBDAE.jpeg

Rocks were fairly steep:
A6E162FE-124A-4E27-A747-BA58BC0EA1ED.jpeg

Second shot dropped him.
542D6DB1-710B-4944-A5F0-328F8BB34FBC.jpeg

It went straight through:
FCFE44AD-A0CA-4762-9782-3F582A44D1BA.jpeg

After lunch:

And after a good Hammock nap…

On our way back out we see the nice Common Reedbuck we’ve seen before. He’s at 300 yards near the stream. Riaan, knowing I’m feeling down, asks me if I want to redeem myself? He also reminds me there is some interest from one of the other hunters in my group. I really think Reedbucks are beautiful and this one was nice and mature. I tell him that I’d like to look for Mountain Reedbuck first. Two hours later and none to be found, we’re heading back down from the top of the mountain. On the way back Joshua spots the mountain Reedbuck laying in the grass at 160 yards out near the stream. We pull the truck over and stop, then 3 ewes run and spook the Ram. He’s at 220 yards now. He stops. A fast set up and he is in my sights, but he is also behind some bushes that are between us. He is on a rise, so I’m shooting slightly uphill and I see enough shoulder to confidently shoot. I let one fly and It finds the mark. The ram is hit in an instant and he is strait down. “Damn!” Riaan exclaims, along with a few other expletives! He then says “I wish I was left handed, so I can buy that damned .243! Of course I tell him it’s not for sale!!

.243 putting in work:
F4D9EC5A-E5B5-4263-8CC6-4B2FF8DCFCB2.jpeg
236A8FCB-0AE1-4C37-9C67-CD59A04C99BC.jpeg

027BBF83-51C6-4EA6-8978-98919B36EF9A.jpeg

It’s a real pleasure to hunt with old friends and younger new ones! Joshua and Yuri make up a great part of this Team!

Friday 26th:

Morning off from hunting to visit the Taxidermist, do some shopping, and have some lunch.

Got 5 of these:
7003EF33-137D-444C-9E63-48535B451A23.jpeg

A Beautiful Carved Buffalo from the a local wood working master:
68F77489-8764-4834-B4E9-413F1B6B37B6.jpeg

Lunch at the Bush Baboon with the whole group:
ACD73DE0-F9ED-4991-AB4D-26F80A26C57B.jpeg

Visit to the Taxidermist (Bull’s Eye in Vaalwater)
21958213-87BE-4759-AA4B-C08AF49C5517.jpeg

Where I got some great ideas about my mounts.
7EEF2088-44D5-405E-9661-9A926D71C00C.jpeg

I made a commitment to have him do all my animals and have them shipped to the states. I’m also having him make a scoped rifle case out of Buffalo.

Got some rest, then we went out for a nighttime Bushpig hunt in another nearby concession.

734EA41E-B334-4928-B283-FAEEE6BDF89F.jpeg

Maybe 60 yards to the gut pile.

Little Dog, big heart!
16A51E15-C180-4052-ADE8-729530FA2F5A.jpeg

Not long after dark, we here pigs coming in, stopping, and eating. I’m told that Badger and Hyena drag pieces out of the gut pile and take them to the bush to eat and what they leave behind the pigs stop and eat on the way to the gut pile.

About an hour after we hear them, a Sow and Boar come in. Sow in front of the boar, so I have to wait! Same drill - Illumination on, stand ready on the sticks and wait until the sow clears! As soon as she clears enough, I take a double lung shot. Barnes 80 Grain goes right through. Boar runs about 50 yards into the thick bush and crashes to a sudden death. The little girl dog comes out, and in short order, she is right on top of him, but now she sounds like 5 dogs fighting to the death! Amazing how she changed when it was time to work…

06B7EED2-E639-4CD4-AEB7-22D146F073E2.jpeg

Last night for Bushpig, so we took the first boar we saw…

Saturday August 27th, Last hunt day:

Last day to get my Mountain Reedbuck! We head out early. As we enter the gate of the big ranch, Joshua quietly says that we should try a spot he remembers seeing a nice Ram… So, off we go.

The road in to this spot is rough! It switches back, gets the Land Cruiser tilted off camber, and it was bouncing the hell out of me and everything else! After a mile or so we finally make are way up to the top and straightened out, come around the bend, and the truck stops… Beautiful open valley with mountains in the background to the left and a draw to the right.

Both Joshua and Yuri (almost simultaneously) point up to the right, up into the rocks past the draw, to a mature Mountain Reedbuck Ram. Of course I don’t see it! It’s 130 yards and behind a tree. So, I get in a better position, get a good rest, and now can see him through my scope and my naked eye.

Still behind the tree but, just enough shoulder showing to take a good shot. Safety off, quick short breath, and I slowly squeeze the trigger. You hear an Instant thud! One that you get from 3250 fps and the bullet goes right through the shoulder. The little Ram takes several steps up the rocks and falls perfectly on a flat section of dirt and rock. And, with the most amazing view behind him…

Looking up the draw:
11B45E70-4BA8-4297-A5D6-69278B278C81.jpeg

Lots of blood!
64CDC66B-4093-496F-BFF7-DFFB0A97E1D2.jpeg

903E9ABB-55DA-4C82-A9AB-7068A46D978C.jpeg
BC08CDEC-6889-45D1-AC96-2CEC758C1B84.jpeg

507AC471-D7AD-48A2-BEF8-0216CCDC66E8.jpeg

Finally..

About The Big Buffalo from the beginning of my post:

It was available to hunt at a premium. He is kicked out of the heard and very aggressive. I passed because I’ve already had this type of experience in the Waterberg mountains in 2014. And, it was exciting and difficult! I had the feeling that my 2014 buff hunt, given the circumstances, would be difficult to top. Plus, I have a big old bull on the wall and not much room for another.

483DA5EA-ED3C-4880-9A92-D29AC2947089.jpeg

B493B219-F989-4F41-A312-E57B0C98ACFF.jpeg

Good shooting and a great hunt, Congrats on some fine trophies. Love to hear how the other hunters did? Nicely written report.
Bruce

Good shooting and a great hunt, Congrats on some fine trophies. Love to hear how the other hunters did? Nicely written report.
Bruce
Thanks Bruce! I tried to make it interesting and informative. I’ve been on this site a while and, regretfully, didn’t post as much as I should. I’ve certainly taken a lot of good information and advice from this great site and its contributors!

Steve and John shot 4 each. Both had Kudu, Impala, Wildebeest, and one had a Blesbok and the other a Gemsbok. The four of us spent 3 days and 3 nights in Kruger. We saw the big 5, plus Hippo, Crocs, Wild dogs, and a Hyena laying 4’ from a Leopard…Good times for sure. I would have rather stayedhunted, but I always feel that way when I get away from it!

I’m heading to Canada tomorrow to Goose and and Duck hunt… East of Saskatoon.

27A19017-D309-4AA8-80B3-0830FAC2D389.jpeg

48F93CED-E29E-430B-801D-C18C87C716E2.jpeg

984F785C-2E7F-43D9-A0CB-9D9C9C719748.jpeg

53CE5CD7-EC3D-4721-A42B-E80599BC1280.jpeg

The Hyena would lift its head on occasion, but I couldn’t get a picture of it. Just part of the body. I was taking pictures by holding my Bino’s up to my iPhone. It was a pretty good distance.

86F497D1-D54D-43EF-A7DF-06F82A15E4DA.jpeg

58DD05F6-C3EC-4DA9-8564-17F123FFEDA2.jpeg

FA667BBE-8642-4011-926F-174395F7FC00.jpeg

0F1C1CE9-DFE0-4687-A252-C6D9BE83B0FB.jpeg

965F331F-F71C-4162-8859-50FFA2C4B2EE.jpeg

Attachments

• 20A1E241-3F0E-4091-9DC4-E915F6E53A68.jpeg
    20A1E241-3F0E-4091-9DC4-E915F6E53A68.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 68
Great report, some great animals and the most important thing, sharing it with friends.

A grand Africa adventure indeed with some grand trophies as well! Thanks for the write up!
I have never used Barnes 80 grain in my 243, but I just might have to try it out!

I have shot a few deer with the Barnes 80 grain TTSX in the .243. Always impressed with the results.
You mentioned that you are hunting East of Saskatoon. That is my home turf. Hope you have a successful duck/goose hunt!
Great report. Thanks for posting.

I have shot a few deer with the Barnes 80 grain TTSX in the .243. Always impressed with the results.
You mentioned that you are hunting East of Saskatoon. That is my home turf. Hope you have a successful duck/goose hunt!
Great report. Thanks for posting.

Here you go!

I Booked this trip in January this year at Vegas SCI after my dear friend Steve (he’s in his 70’s) showed interest and finalized it after confirming a New Zealand hunt was not available (at the time) for this year. Side note: most of the NZ outfitters that were there had US reps in their booths and were noncommittal for this year.

Having hunted 3 times in SA with two other outfitters, and hunting most of my desired animals over these previous trips, I honestly had no great desire to go back before I hunted other countries/continents. The exception would be that I knew I would once again hunt with my old friend, and trusted PH, Riaan Jacobs at Boseveld Jacobs Safaris, as well as the opportunity to share that with Steve; I couldn’t say no!

Back at SCI for a moment: Steve and I were both looking for a moose hunt and soon realized most were booked for 2022 and 2023. A moose hunt was a bucket list hunt for Steve and certainly desirable for me! He wanted to go and I agreed to join him. As we made our way through the fairly slow show, we are able to get right in and talk to most outfitters. I also wanted a Spain Hunt, but New Zealand was at the top of my list. New Zealand out, Spain and an Ibex slam was the goal. I also have the desire to extend my stay in Spain and do some touring and sightseeing. I got good info, talked dates and numbers l, but didn’t commit for this year.

Steve and I made our way over to the Boseveld Jacobs booth and sat a while with Riaan and caught up on life’s events! Then we started reminiscing about all our adventures together. Including hunting the free state area, Waterberg Mountains and other areas of the Limpopo. After an extended conversation with Riaan, Steve and I decided to talk to another friend, who has (Duck Creek Outfitters) in Saskatchewan, to line up a Goose and Duck hunt for myself and a few others I’ve hunted there with on two other occasions. Two steps away from the Boseveld booth Steve tells me he would like to hunt South Africa!

Side note: Steve, as well as a large group of North American big game hunters, generally have a misconception of what hunting in South Africa is… Most of you have heard the generalizations! “Fences, flat and unattractive ranch hunts, travel hassles, and most of the general 3rd world problems” that they think will be problematic! Well, I was both, surprised, and thrilled, to hear he now wants to go! Steve is a cancer survivor and up there in age, so I suggested we have a cocktail and sit a minute to confirm his desire. I asked him when the shift occurred? Why South Africa? He said after seeing my reunion and authentic joy when recounting some of the many hunting stories with Riaan, he realized it was something really special that he should experience. Riaan also made the point to him about what “we” as North American hunters tend to spend on a single Elk or Deer hunt with an outfitter and the opportunities in SA for the same or similar costs.

As a practice, I don’t try to convert people. I try the best I can to share my experiences with people who are receptive, and move on if they are not. “Work with the willing”! A brief conversation with Steve convinced me he understood the commitment and was ready to book! We stopped by Duck Creek and I lined up dates for this years Duck and Goose hunt, then back to book our Safari. The evening of our booking, Steve and I both share our plans with two of our friends. Ken, my fishing partner and John, Steve’s hunting partner, both, without hesitation, ask to come along. Ken as an observer and John as a third hunter -now we are four. Next day at SCI (we had 3 day passes) I set it up with Riaan and confirm dates for end of August to September.

Airfare: After a few days of watching prices drop dramatically, we book - cheap at $750. Steve and I upgraded to comfort plus. We flew San Francisco to Atlanta to Joberg on full flights. Comfort + is helpful on the extra seat room, leg room, and the seats recline a little more. Didn’t drink much on the flights. Didn’t sleep much either. Sky lounge on each leg - thx AMEX. Great perk!

Also can’t imagine flying without TSA Precheck and Global entry.

Landed 1 hour late due to toilet paper stocking on our Atlanta flight… Go figure.

Land at Joberg at 5:45pm promptly and we were met by the Rifle Permits.com staff (Sign in hand) at the waiting area to sort out our permits and pick up our rifles. Steve and I had two rifles each per case. Quick and easy! Worth the $150…

As we exited, the AfricaSky Guest house driver (who was coordinated by Henry’s Staff) was already there with our luggage loaded: thanks Ken and John for helping…

One more hunter from the US (Midwest) also staying at AfricaSky joined us on the ride from JNB. A clean comfortable van with a small cargo trailer was promptly loaded. Side note: local “luggage cart collectors” are there to collect the carts and may collect your gear along with the cart if you are not careful! Our driver told them to “stay back and wait!” Keep in mind it is later, dark out and not well lit in the parking garage of JNB. So for those not familiar with this set up, be aware! It’s easy to feel rushed and lose track of something small or critical in a cart, that will be taken away by others, and that could impact your trip!

AfricaSky House staff are warm and friendly, very helpful and comforting. The place is nice and clean with great food and service. A good nights rest and breakfast was the perfect start for our next leg. Henk, Riaan’s brother, was there 15 minutes early to pick us up! I was happy to see Henk as he was on my Buffalo hunt in the Waterberg mountains in 2014. That was a special hunt and day for me! Quick introductions, and a little reminiscing with Henk while the gear was loaded in the new passenger van, and we were off to camp. Henk was my videographer on my Buff hunt. He is also a part time PH.

View attachment 488364View attachment 488365
View attachment 488366
View attachment 488367

We stopped for some personal specialty items like whiskey and vodka, as well as snacks for the road. The drive is normally 2 1/2 hours without stops. 3 hours later we were stopping in Vaalwater at Riaan’s bar and restaurant the “Bush Baboon” for a beer prior to going to the lodge.

View attachment 488368

After a beer and a few laughs we arrive at camp for lunch. All the meals were amazing and ranged from tenderloin from game previously hunted to beef and lamb! There was a different gourmet meal every night and delicious hot breakfast every morning. Lunch was either grilled sausage or similar in the field and/or sandwiches. One afternoon we had Kudu burritos!

View attachment 488369
View attachment 488370
View attachment 488372
View attachment 488373
View attachment 488374
View attachment 488375
Shortly after lunch, we head out to a Pecan ranch to sight in the rifles. I’m with Drian, another PH who works for Bosveld Jacobs in his Toyota Hilux, which is well outfitted for hunting. Within a 100 yards of entering the gate, a huge Dugga Boy, massive!, I’m told 48”! He is on the neighboring property right next to the fence and pissed! Kicking up dust, shaking his head, blowing and snorting!! He is on a property that is 28,000 acres and available to hunt. He is matching pace with the trucks and quickly spins to greet and challenge the Land Cruiser with Steve, John, and Jacques (PH) who is driving. I was blown away… My phone isn’t handy, but we stop any for a moment. This older bull is kicked out of the heard and terribly agitated and, I’m told, is available to hunt…More about him later.

Sighting in at the 100 yard range.
Both my .243 and .375H&H were sighted for 200 yards. One shot each at the 100 yard range confirmed the 200 yard zeros and I’m good to go. Similar results from Steve’s rifle. Side note: Steve brought a .300 RUM to shoot himself and a 7MM REM MAG for his friend John to shoot. John was not familiar with this rifle and had a difficult time getting the 7MM aligned for a good zero. He thought he may be “pulling it” when he shot. After several shots and some slight adjustments he got what he needed for a zero. **A bigger problem was the riffle permits were in Steve’s name! John wasn’t allowed to travel with or shoot that 7MM anyway. He reluctantly shot his PH’s 300 WIN MAG, but with good success. This permit issue was not a big deal as John quickly adjusted to his PH’s rifle.

View attachment 488376

Waterberg Mountains:

This being my 4th trip to SA, and having hunted a lot of the Limpopo, including a couple times in the Waterberg, as well as the free state, my list of animals were more unique than my hunting partners. I was looking for more of the Tiny Ten, Crocodile, Roan, Tsessebee, Bushpig Boar, Honeybadger, and a few small cats. After sighting in our rifles, we went for and afternoon drive around the ranch to check things out.
View attachment 488377
View attachment 488378
View attachment 488379
View attachment 488380

Monday:

After a 45 minute drive we arrive at one of Boseveld Jacobs concessions; a 25,000 acre pecan farm and game ranch. It is an amazing property with streams, ponds, spring fed creeks and an abundance of game. Several herds of Buffalo and just about all the plains game you can desire. On this particular property I only saw a few Gemsbok…

We saw a heard of beautiful Golden Wildebeest and sat and watched them for a while. I found a nice Bull and decided to take him. First shot at 280 yards with the .243, there’s a decent breeze from right to left, as he was slightly quartering away and I hit him hard in a rib for a lung shot and nicked the spine. He went straight down. Riaan comments at home fast this little gun is and is happy to see the bull go down! I was thrilled myself. I’m shooting Custom loaded Barnes 80 Gr. TTSX (By MOA Rifles).
View attachment 488381
View attachment 488382

Bull loaded and off to the property’s skinning shed. Joshua our skinner, whom I’ve hunted with in 2013 and 2014 stays back to care of the Wildebeest. Patrick, the ranch owner, comes over to greet us and I got acquainted with his two dogs. Not sure the breed, but one of the dogs scratched its own eye so bad that it had two be removed. The other one, called peanut, was a pup with a lot of character, and being a dog guy, I looked forward to seeing him again. We BS for a while. Patrick and I have common work history in the underground pipeline business, so we swap stories and experiences. Joshua stays to take care of the Wildebeest.

Back out to scout the mountain tops for Klipspringer. We get close to one of the peaks in the land cruiser and two Klipspringer appear and then quickly disappear in the bush. A 100 yards up the road we start to ascend the next peak on a fairly steep incline and the truck stops abruptly. One Klipspringer in the road 200 yards up towards the top of the peak. Another in the rocks and brush to our right. Riaan says I must wait because the one in the road was not a shooter. Looking through my Nightforce Scope it is a small target! I
have a 200 yard zero, so I make no adjustments. A flash of fur goes by in my scope and the shooter ram is now to the left of the smaller one still in the road and he is now standing on a rock between bushes . Riaan says shoot when I can. I let one fly without hesitation and it quickly hits center mass behind the shoulder and passes straight through. This all happens very fast! 11:15 and my second animal is down…

View attachment 488386

Klipspringer pictures taken with the Beautiful Waterberg mountains and valleys in the backdrop. We load up and back to drop the Klipspringer off to Joshua. After we clean up a bit and celebrate the good luck we’ve had, it’s time for lunch and an afternoon hammock nap! Lunch is cooked on a brick grill next to a mountain spring fed pond; it was the perfect location! Kudu sausage grilled to perfection on a roll with some chips hits the spot. 1 long hammock nap and two hours later, we’re off to check cameras and bait for a Bushpig and other active night feeders. First we pick up Joshua.

View attachment 488388
View attachment 488389

While we are out we see a big Common Reedbuck ram with three does. Riaan tells me he put in for a permit for me, even though he knows I’ve shot one with him in 2013. He tells me that this is an unusually nice Reedbuck and I should consider it. I do think they are beautiful and give it some consideration and pass -for now…

We see several herds of cow Buffalo with babies and a nice heard of bulls! We also see nice groups of Impala with some black Impala mixed in, lots of Sable, Blesbok, big herds of both Blue and Golden Wildebeest, Kudu, Tsessebee, nice Eland, a couple mountain Reedbuck does, plenty of warthog and Giraffe. Lots of baboon too… Some needed culling!

View attachment 488390
View attachment 488391
View attachment 488392

Riaan and Joshua check the feeder and realize the automatic dispenser is misaligned and they have to work on it a bit… Feeder fixed and trail cam card switched, it’s time to head back for dinner.

Dinner: Kudu tenderloin on the wood grill adjacent to the campfire at the lodge. Mushroom soup, Salad, Toasted bread, pan fried potatoes with onions and seasoning, beer and wine for those that want it… Delicious every night! Not one bad meal this whole trip.

View attachment 488393
View attachment 488394

Tuesday:

Early hot breakfast at the lodge and we’re off to hunt. Tsessebee are the desired target, but on the way out we see the big common Reedbuck. We stop to look at it at 100 yards and I pass again… 1/4 mile up the road and we see the single Tsessebee bull by himself at 250 yards. A bull Riaan has seen before and confirms he’s the one we want! Riaan wants to be closer, but it’s open range with little cover. The bull runs out another 50 yards to 300 yards. We close to 280, I take a couple clicks of elevation, look through the scope, and he’s facing and looking right at us. We wait. I check my bubble to avoid relaxing and canting my rifle. It’s a long wait to get him to at least turn away to be at least quartered towards us! Riaan says he’s still at 280 yards and to put it on the front of his right shoulder and don’t shoot. I try to focus on breathing, I shift the safety off, the bull starts to turn slightly left to reveal a quartering shot, Riaan says take him on the right front shoulder, my finger quickly breaks the two pounds needed to release the trigger. The bullet finds the right shoulder exactly where I aimed, and with a loud “thwack!” he’s straight down! Riaan yells “damn man, that thing is fast”! He says again, “I love that .243!” Smiles, hand shakes, and pictures, then we’re heading back to the skinning shed to repeat the process.

View attachment 488395

While Joshua is taking care of the Tsessebee, we go to look for mountain Reedbuck and check the feeder and bait pile. Driving on this vast property and into the peaks of some of these mountains is amazing. We see Eland and Sable with stunning mountain and valley backdrops. We don’t see any Mountain Reedbuck this pass… The land cruiser handles all the terrain without issue. Ken is clearly mesmerized by all the game he sees and the vastness of the region. He takes a lot of pictures seems to thoroughly enjoy the journey. I normally hunt alone with PH and tracker. I wasn’t sure if I would be nervous or burdened by an observer, but I didn’t express these feelings to Ken. I quickly adjust to Ken’s presence and come to appreciate his company. I was Ken’s apprentice Steamfitter starting when I was 19. We’ve fished together on my boats over the last 30 years and have had many good times on the ocean. This was our first time on a hunt together. Time for lunch.

View attachment 488397
View attachment 488398

Lunch under a big tree is Eland burgers, salad, fruit, and cookies. Another Hammock nap, snoring competition, and I’m ready to hunt! First we’re off to check the feeder for tonight’s hunt. Along the way we look for Mountain Reedbuck, but none of these mysterious creatures can be found.

View attachment 488396

Feeder checked and gut pile replenished, we head to Riaan’s place in Vaalwater to grab night hunting gear. Joshua stays back to process the Tsessebee and take care of some other duties.

Night hunting gear collected and were on our way to the blind for tonight’s hunt. We stop and pick up Riaan’s apprentice (Yuri) (SP?). He’s a big young man with great manners and a gentle spirit. Hard working and focused on doing a good job. I come to appreciate his company and attention to detail. Yuri drops off Riaan and I at the blind and we quickly get set up for the night. Cameras indicate that pigs come in as early as 6:30pm. We get into our warm gear and set up sticks against the brush blind at about 50 yards from the feeder. I have a small pack with some water, power bars, and an assortment of items -including headlight and batteries. Yuri and Ken drive off to wait in the land cruiser a couple miles away.

View attachment 488399

Night comes quick. The stars are brilliant. Living currently, and most of my life, within 25 miles of San Francisco, the light pollution dulls the view of the nights sky! In these mountains I find myself mesmerized by the amount of stars that can be seen! Star gazing is soon interrupted by snorting, grunting, and shuffling of feet through the brush and leaves. Riaan, looking through his FLIR mono, whispers “Bushpig”… I say how many? He shushes me! I sit. He whispers, “big sow with a smaller one behind it”. I see the red light come on and dimly light the area around the feeder. Riaan tells me to slowly stand. I do as slowly and quietly as possible. I can tell by his frustrating exhale, that Riaan doesn’t think it is was quiet enough! Lol! He tells me to get my rifle on the sticks and be ready. My legs are shaky but I’m able to manage getting my rifle up and in position without issue. However, more frustrating exhales follow, but the pigs don’t hear us! He tells me to prepare to shoot when the sow clears, but he first has to confirm the second pig is a boar. I look through the Nightforce and can make out both pigs, but cannot see my crosshairs. Now I’m standing there for what seems an eternity and the pigs are not moving! They are quartering away and feeding. I turn on the illumination on the scope and the crosshairs are now visible against the sow. Now the distance seems further, but I know it isn’t. It just seems like it due to the darkness and my eyes looking at the illumination of the crosshairs. Riaan again tells me to be ready. Within seconds the sow clears. Riaan says wait! He tells me he can’t tell if the other pig is a boar. I can see it’s head is down and it’s quartering away! “I’m ready”, he says “wait”! With a firm whisper… They both get startled by something and run off! He tells me to remain ready. Another pig approaches - another big sow!

I learn later that the red light was “weak” a replacement for the green one that recent failed! The new green light is a couple days out… The red light is not bright enough to help him confirm the boar. An hour later and we are packing it up for the night.

Back to the lodge for a late dinner and plans for the next days Croc hunt!

View attachment 488405
View attachment 488404
View attachment 488403

More to come….
Thanks for the great report! Good stories and details and good pictures!
I use Bullseye taxidermy too, they are excellent and I stay at Safari Sky Guest House and hunt in the Waterberg mountains which is beautiful country. Great minds think alike.
Thanks again for an excellent/exciting report on your adventure. Brian

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg