SOUTH AFRICA: 2021 South Africa (Northern & Eastern Cape) Hunt Report

Great report, pictures and videos. And sounds like a lovely trip. Thank you for taking us with you at least virtually.

I shoot the 139gr SSTs on whitetail here and they shoot better groups than Rem 140gr Core-Lokts, At least in my guns. But not just the 7x57, same goes for 150gr 30-06. I'd blame the scope.
Horse Puckey.

If it was the scope, all ammo would shoot poorly. Each rifle is different from another as to how they will shoot a particular load. Just because the SST shoots well in yours, does not mean it will in Hank's. Ditto the Cor-lokts.

You're right. I just find the SSTs shooting better than most in most rifles. Granted I only tried 7x57 (2 different rifles), 2 different 30-06, and 2 different 308s, and 2 different .300WM. In general I do find the Hornady SST and Interbond bullets in same weight flying very well and to similar point of impact. I also found the Core-Lokts good but grouping worse. Overall I find Hornady ammo the most consistent out of most of my rifles, regardless of calibre and bullet weight. With exceptions (some 168gr .308 silvertips seem to shoot as well). This is of course no proof of what it does in other rifles but "all over the place" would make me wanna check the scope mounting and try many more different loads in that rifle before blaming the Hornadys.

Plus I thought all ammo shot poorly, just that the core-lokts were acceptable. Maybe I misunderstood that.

You're right. I just find the SSTs shooting better than most in most rifles. Granted I only tried 7x57 (2 different rifles), 2 different 30-06, and 2 different 308s, and 2 different .300WM. In general I do find the Hornady SST and Interbond bullets in same weight flying very well and to similar point of impact. I also found the Core-Lokts good but grouping worse. Overall I find Hornady ammo the most consistent out of most of my rifles, regardless of calibre and bullet weight. With exceptions (some 168gr .308 silvertips seem to shoot as well). This is of course no proof of what it does in other rifles but "all over the place" would make me wanna check the scope mounting and try many more different loads in that rifle before blaming the Hornadys.

Plus I thought all ammo shot poorly, just that the core-lokts were acceptable. Maybe I misunderstood that.
I may have said I shot poorly (or at least I felt like I did on some occasions) but there was no question that that one type of ammo shot poorly - even my PH couldn't get it to group. We didn't have that problem with the other brands. While I adjusted the reticle when I changed ammo, they were always small adjustments - nothing to indicate the scope had gone out of whack.

Neither Hornady nor Remington are my 'go to' brands for ammo, so I didn't hold a brief for one or the other. I just wanted a bullet to go where the crosshairs were.

Thanks for taking us along on the adventure! Great fun to read and tag along!

You know, it didn't occur to me - likely because my taxidermy days are behind me. As many will know (because I posted the give-away!), I've been giving stuff away - skins, mounts, buffalo scrotums, etc., only keeping what's really important to me. The space taken up was becoming excessive, and I was just creating a problem for down-sizing (has to happen one of these days) or worse, dying (has to happen one of these days too!).

When you see what happens at my next camp, my reasoning may become clearer . . .
i am going on the identical hunt with Wintershoek. three questions please
1. Did it only take you one day to get the rhino? i know others days you hunted other animals
2. i want to get a great picture with myself in it to then get an artist to convert to oil on canvas just as i did with my lion
3. did you fly into Kimberly airport from Jberg?

thanks!!!

i am going on the identical hunt with Wintershoek. three questions please
1. Did it only take you one day to get the rhino? i know others days you hunted other animals
2. i want to get a great picture with myself in it to then get an artist to convert to oil on canvas just as i did with my lion
3. did you fly into Kimberly airport from Jberg?

thanks!!!
1. It took only one day, but what a day. They generally know (if only for security reasons) where the rhino are, and they try not to dart the same ones too often, so a good one will generally have been picked out in advance. There will be spotters around so they can find it after it's run off - the key is to find it before or soon after it collapses, and give it a partial reversal or at least ensure it's in a position to breath properly, so that it doesn't suffocate. That chase can be wild!

2. Sounds like a great idea. Lots of time to take pictures and I'm not sure I'm supposed to say this, but the vet allowed me to give the rhino the reversal injection (I'll deny it if ever asked!).

3. I flew into Kimberley from JNB.

Not sure who your PH will be, but all of Winterhoek's people are great. If you get John Tinley, say hello to him for me, and ask him why he hasn't found anything else for me to hunt in South Africa. If you get Strauss Jordan, ask him if he's had any further encounters with Ostrich. I had Wiaan van der Linde, who I've know for some years and is the owner, and as down-to-earth fellow as you will meet.

1. It took only one day, but what a day. They generally know (if only for security reasons) where the rhino are, and they try not to dart the same ones too often, so a good one will generally have been picked out in advance. There will be spotters around so they can find it after it's run off - the key is to find it before or soon after it collapses, and give it a partial reversal or at least ensure it's in a position to breath properly, so that it doesn't suffocate. That chase can be wild!

2. Sounds like a great idea. Lots of time to take pictures and I'm not sure I'm supposed to say this, but the vet allowed me to give the rhino the reversal injection (I'll deny it if ever asked!).

3. I flew into Kimberley from JNB.

Not sure who your PH will be, but all of Winterhoek's people are great. If you get John Tinley, say hello to him for me, and ask him why he hasn't found anything else for me to hunt in South Africa. If you get Strauss Jordan, ask him if he's had any further encounters with Ostrich. I had Wiaan van der Linde, who I've know for some years and is the owner, and as down-to-earth fellow as you will meet.
thanks so much!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg