Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AFGA, AHEIA
Hunted
Alberta, Florida, Eastern Cape of South Africa
Great report, pictures and videos. And sounds like a lovely trip. Thank you for taking us with you at least virtually.

I shoot the 139gr SSTs on whitetail here and they shoot better groups than Rem 140gr Core-Lokts, At least in my guns. But not just the 7x57, same goes for 150gr 30-06. I'd blame the scope.
Horse Puckey.

If it was the scope, all ammo would shoot poorly. Each rifle is different from another as to how they will shoot a particular load. Just because the SST shoots well in yours, does not mean it will in Hank's. Ditto the Cor-lokts.

Milan

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alberta, RSA
You're right. I just find the SSTs shooting better than most in most rifles. Granted I only tried 7x57 (2 different rifles), 2 different 30-06, and 2 different 308s, and 2 different .300WM. In general I do find the Hornady SST and Interbond bullets in same weight flying very well and to similar point of impact. I also found the Core-Lokts good but grouping worse. Overall I find Hornady ammo the most consistent out of most of my rifles, regardless of calibre and bullet weight. With exceptions (some 168gr .308 silvertips seem to shoot as well). This is of course no proof of what it does in other rifles but "all over the place" would make me wanna check the scope mounting and try many more different loads in that rifle before blaming the Hornadys.

Plus I thought all ammo shot poorly, just that the core-lokts were acceptable. Maybe I misunderstood that.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
You're right. I just find the SSTs shooting better than most in most rifles. Granted I only tried 7x57 (2 different rifles), 2 different 30-06, and 2 different 308s, and 2 different .300WM. In general I do find the Hornady SST and Interbond bullets in same weight flying very well and to similar point of impact. I also found the Core-Lokts good but grouping worse. Overall I find Hornady ammo the most consistent out of most of my rifles, regardless of calibre and bullet weight. With exceptions (some 168gr .308 silvertips seem to shoot as well). This is of course no proof of what it does in other rifles but "all over the place" would make me wanna check the scope mounting and try many more different loads in that rifle before blaming the Hornadys.

Plus I thought all ammo shot poorly, just that the core-lokts were acceptable. Maybe I misunderstood that.
I may have said I shot poorly (or at least I felt like I did on some occasions) but there was no question that that one type of ammo shot poorly - even my PH couldn't get it to group. We didn't have that problem with the other brands. While I adjusted the reticle when I changed ammo, they were always small adjustments - nothing to indicate the scope had gone out of whack.

Neither Hornady nor Remington are my 'go to' brands for ammo, so I didn't hold a brief for one or the other. I just wanted a bullet to go where the crosshairs were.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina

Woodcarver

Bronze supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA Benefactor Life, Ducks Unlimited Life, RMEF Life, NAHC Life
Hunted
USA (CO, KS, TX, WA, AZ, TN), Alberta, Canada
Thanks for taking us along on the adventure! Great fun to read and tag along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketotrinsl

Latest profile posts

when is my donation due?
trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!