Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
Hunted
North America, South America, South Africa
This hunt was conceived the when I got on the plane to come home from my 2010 hunt with Louis!

africapic21.jpg

My friend Prentiss and I had a wornderful time, hunting and relaxing at Spiral Horn. I have been talking to my wife about taking her on safari. She went thru breast cancer in 2009-2010-- in short it sucked:vomit:. She has been doing awesome. Her last 3 scans have been good and clean, and she has been coming out of her shell. She told me at christmas that she wanted to hunt! You could have almost nocked me over.

We hunted a little in fall, and found a suitable big game rifle she liked ( a blaser r93 257 wby mag). She shoots it like a dream--most of the time--more on that later.

After a 7 hr delay in ATL we were on our way to Joburg. We arrived at 1:30 am and Louis was there to pick us up! Man what a guy!!!! Louis drove us all night to the ranch and we arrived at sun up. After a quick nap-- and some breakfast we were off for our first game drive.

190vb.jpg

The landscape is just how I remember. I love it--its like west Texas with a little more of an accent and more thorns!

308rl.jpg

Right before 4pm Louis jumps out of the bakkie and says to my wife--"grab our rifle Audra". She said do you see a Kudu-- Louis said "no an impala". My wife had come for a kudu, but Louis eyes were as big as silver dollars so she got her gun.

A few min later and a boom! Audra had her first African animal in the salt-- a 25 1/2 in impala--what a way to start off:

209ab.jpg

212xd.jpg

A proud lady

206rk.jpg

A few pic's later and night was coming on fast. We made it back to camp for a sun downer or two--its a hard life!

218uf.jpg

The next couple of days we spent looking for Giraffe and Blue Wildebeest for me. Blue wildebeest have always been tough for me. They like to hold up in the brush and clear shots on Louis place are few and far between. On the 3rd day Louis and I find a herd working thru the brush. We work into position and get a shot at them. He was a nice hard headed ol bull.

Hunting Blue Wildebeest Video

274yi.jpg

341ys.jpg

We drove around the rest of the eve looking for bull Giraffe--nothing! Right before dusk I see something rustling in the brush. David ( Louis appy and board member here) jumps off the cruiser and nabs a pangolian-- It blessed our hunt. What a neat animal:

David:
203p.jpg

352ov.jpg

357s.jpg

The next morning we look for Giraffe again--and low and behold we run into the bull we had been looking for we put the sneek on him ( hard for a animal that can see two stories up). I wacked him with a 416 Rigby and put him down with one shot. Giraffe are tough--and Louis has had them run for a couple of days with holes put in them--when they were not placed right the first time. I was glad to see him go down!

Hunting Giraffe Video

248be.jpg

412a.jpg

With the Giraffe off our back we could focus on Gemsbok, Waterbuck and Audra's Kudu. We spent the next day just stalking and looking. Audra had looks at bulls in the 55 to 58in range on Louis place and just could not get on them. on The 6th day we run into a really nice bull-- Audra got into position and Louis walked her thru the shot. She had a long time( a little too long) and hit the Kudu a little far back. We let it stiffen a bit and went to find it. After about an hr we recovered the Kudu and all was saved. Audra felt terriable--but hey thats hunting-- sometimes it does not run smooth. She got her nice 51 in Kudu none the less:

Hunting Kudu Video

622f.jpg

On the finial day we found me a nice Gemsbok: Made a good stalk--and I put the hammer on him. It was a great way to end a hunt:

Hunting Gemsbuck Video

707xr.jpg

My friend Tip Burns also hunted with us and he took a nice warthog, Blue Wildebeest, and Impala. Louis runs a good camp--and you will have a great time. A few last pics:

Breathtaking sunsets

708bq.jpg

Great food:

428j.jpg

Neat animals

661ct.jpg

A little danger ( Leopard track outside of camp)

652k.jpg

Treating my wife so good she did not want to leave

437rd.jpg

And a satisfied customer--Louis I will be back my friend!

185xx.jpg

If any of you guys out there are thinking about taking your wife-- there are too sides to the tale. On the good side you will never have to hide your hunting fund again. The bad part is the hunting fund--just got cut in half! Louis because of you I will need a wallet transplant soon! :):mad::p

Cheers,

Ed

Attachments

• 661ct.jpg
    661ct.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 274yi.jpg
    274yi.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 206rk.jpg
    206rk.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 190vb.jpg
    190vb.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 412a.jpg
    412a.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 143
  • 622f.jpg
    622f.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 218uf.jpg
    218uf.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 308rl.jpg
    308rl.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 212xd.jpg
    212xd.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 203p.jpg
    203p.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 708bq.jpg
    708bq.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 166
  • 185xx.jpg
    185xx.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 352ov.jpg
    352ov.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 248be.jpg
    248be.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 209ab.jpg
    209ab.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 155
  • 652k.jpg
    652k.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 428j.jpg
    428j.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 707xr.jpg
    707xr.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 341ys.jpg
    341ys.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 357s.jpg
    357s.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 165
  • africapic21.jpg
    africapic21.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 437rd.jpg
    437rd.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 160
505ED,

Great report! By far the best part of your story is the part about your wife's health! The next best part are the great trophies the two of you took. However, there is one correction to be made. Your hunting fund wasn't cut in half, it's that your hunting fund requirement has now been doubled!! :D

Hi Ed

Thank you for a great safari!

You better never leave Audra home ever again, you got a keeper there she is one special lady.

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Ed,

Great report. I really like the mix of videos with the story. Really great.

Audra's kudu is classically beautiful. I love it. Her story in itself is wonderful.

I've always heard of pangolin being good luck, i'd say that is correct!

It's nice to see yet another satisfied hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris and Louis Van Bergen. I leave in 18 days for a 12 day bowhunt with Louis. Another return client ready to go!

Great report 505ED!
Congrats on your fine collection of animals!

That was a timely report you just returned and shared your story with the rest of the
AH family...

The story was great, you have some fantastic trophies and best of all you had a real good time...

Thank you and be sure to go to the outfitter section and place your report for
Louis Van Bergen
Spiral Horn Safaris - South Africa
Cell:+ 27 76 577 6292
safari.spiralhorn@gmail.com
www.SpiralHorn.co.za

Ed & Audra.
Thanks for sharing this fantastic adventure, and most of all, to read that you guys beat the cancer. Good luck in future with life and of cause hunting.

Stay safe and God bless.
Michael

Glad, you two had a great hunt and shot some fantastic animals. Louis is very good at getting pictures positioned! That kudu is very beautiful...and I would have thought it easily would have gone 52+. And I would love to have a monster impala like Audra's! The pictures of your hunt are making home sick for Africa (lol)!

Good stuff! Great trophies, congrats big time!!

Thanks for the report and congratulations for the hunt!

I know what you have been through, my wife beat a kidney cancer a few years back. My advice....enjoy life to the full, you never know what s coming ahead :thumb:

Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

Louis--I dont think I can leave her at home anymore. She is already planning on a back to Africa trip in '13 or '14 and bringing the little ones. She said she needs another Zebra rug, eland, and nyala...Oh boy better break into the Bookers!!!!!

182vc.jpg

Have a great weekend guys,

Ed

Attachments

• 182vc.jpg
    182vc.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for the Great report and congratulations on the Fine Trophy's!!! The Smile on you and your wifes face tells the rest of the story.

Ed

It would be great to have Riley with us as well, I will make her chocolate milk every morning you and Audra can sleep in LOL!

A big thanks to all the AH members for the positive comments it is appreciated!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Great report Ed and Audra !
Congrats.
Ed you should submit that Zebra rug picture for publication in the RSA Illustrated Swim Suit Edition.:laughing:

Ty

505Ed,

Congratulations Audra & Ed !!! you both must have had a great safari with the Spiral Horns , very fine trophies, and beautiful pictures, Louis for sure is a great host and a brilliant PH.
Thanks for sharing ....

Monish

Congratulations Audra and Ed,
I am glad to hear that Audra is doing well.
You had a terrific hunt with Spiral Horn Safaris, and took some beautiful trophies !
From your pictures, it looks like you guys had a wonderful time with Louis, Frikkie, and David.
I look forward to catching up with you and Tip in Texas...or in South Africa.

All the best,
Prentiss

Thanks for this great hunt report ED, enjoyed the pictures as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg