Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
As I was feverishly getting ready for my safari next week I found something unexpected. I was looking for some winter clothes as it will be cold in RSA where I am hunting. As I madly searched the attic I found my old gun case. It happens to be the hard side case I took with me in 1997 on my first safari. Who would have thought the luggage tag would be still attached to this old relic of a case! We flew from Midland to DFW to Miami then business class to Cape Town then on to JNB and finally Port Elizabeth. I still don't know how we got business class. We were upstairs on a 747!

Tag.jpg

I bet that was a long slog. Pretty cool though when you find old stuff like that.

That's really worth saving and maybe even placing in a frame for the wall, especially if you also have something indicating flying upstairs in a 747. I did that on a charter 747 back in 1999. Tons of room if I remember correctly!

That's really worth saving and maybe even placing in a frame for the wall, especially if you also have something indicating flying upstairs in a 747. I did that on a charter 747 back in 1999. Tons of room if I remember correctly!
Good idea

It is definitely cool when you run across something that jogs your memory back to a defining moment in your life. I’m kind of a hoarder of all things gun and hunting related and every once in a while I will find something I forgot about and can’t help but think back to the great memories surrounding it. I think Sierraone has a great idea, maybe shadow box with a few other “africana” items from years ago.
Cheers,
Cody

Amazing that something as simple as a tag serves the same role as a trophy on the wall. I have no doubt every memory of that trip and hunt came flooding back.

It is definitely cool when you run across something that jogs your memory back to a defining moment in your life. I’m kind of a hoarder of all things gun and hunting related and every once in a while I will find something I forgot about and can’t help but think back to the great memories surrounding it. I think Sierraone has a great idea, maybe shadow box with a few other “africana” items from years ago.
Cheers,
Cody
I cannot imagine what you may find some day. You are still finding rifles that you can't remember where they came from!!!

I cannot imagine what you may find some day. You are still finding rifles that you can't remember where they came from!!!
That isn’t a bad thing! Nothing is lost, just temporarily misplaced for a spell.

Phillip, when I saw the photo of your 1997 SAA baggage tag, I was thinking you were going to tell us SAA finally found the lost bag and returned it to you.

I have saved several of those old tags too, hanging on a nail in the garage.

i found an envelope in my safe three years back,3000.00 in it.hows that for being retarded?

"Never go full retard", Tropic Thunder

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!