Something neat fell out of an old Jim Corbett book (Man-Eaters of Kumaon)

Ardent

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada (British Columbia, Alberta), Mexico, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Limpopo, North Cape), USA
http://www.morrisonarms.com/2015/06...a-time-capsule-mystery-by-way-of-jim-corbett/

I’m a sucker for old editions of hunting, exploration, and adventure classics, and having torn through WDM Bell I’m revisiting Jim Corbett with Man-Eaters of Kumaon, this find coming to me for $10. Corbett doesn’t receive half the credit he deserves and is likely my favourite classic non-fiction writer, his genre so focused to what he actually knows, his prose distinctly English and well organized, and his story telling curtly modest. He was, a man of the Empire. I could go on about his writing and books all night, I write this however to bring up an odd surprise that literally fell in my lap on board a plane this evening.

I purchased the book online from a bookseller with no information on its source, and I had suspected it was unread as I began it. The dust jacket shows its nearly three-quarters of a century worth of wear, however not a page is torn, worn, creased, or crimped. Soon after beginning to read the book, I found that I was wrong in my assessment. As I turned to page 33, I had to chuckle as a small time capsule fell into my lap. A ticket from the Philadelphia subway, stamped Tuesday, July 23rd no year (July 23rd, 1946 was a Tuesday, the year of print for the book I have, could be a later year though it seems likely), some apparently Polish postage stamps, and most curious a photo of a young man with a distinct widow’s peak and strong gaze in an industrial setting, I presume a ship or similar installation with outdoor light available.

I’d like to see what can be gleaned from this items, as my curiosity is too aggravated to let it be. Did the young man serve in the war? Was he a Polish immigrant to the US? To whom did the book belong, and where did it go? There are no notes, names, stamps, or marks anywhere I can find, neither on the books or the items. This is a real stretch, how far can it be taken? Likely we’re already here, but I wouldn’t sleep if we didn’t try. I’d like to find out who the young man with the gaze that cuts through time is… wouldn’t you? I feel quite lucky to have fallen upon a story within a story.

Attachments

• IMG_2369-e1434004080663-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_2369-e1434004080663-768x1024.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_2368-e1434004024929-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_2368-e1434004024929-768x1024.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_2372-e1434004188442-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_2372-e1434004188442-768x1024.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2367-e1434003912497-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_2367-e1434003912497-768x1024.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
That it is! The odds are astronomically against learning anything about the fellow, and perhaps the best part is always wondering anyhow.

I think I see a ship cap stand or wench in the background. The man appears to be a sailor perhaps merchant marine working shirtless which was often the case in extreme heat. July 1946 inPhiladelphia would have been hot and muggy thus no shirt.

Indeed a fellow elsewhere pointed out it appears he's standing under a gravity lifeboat davit, with the keel of a lifeboat visible above, and standing beside a steam recovery winch.

Yep and the fact that he is under the boat and the type pants he is wearing makes me think merchant marine sailor.

World War Two had ended the previous year to the train ticket, August in 1945, but it could have been a wartime picture taken. I'm still thinking merchant marine.

I love it! Great book and a great mystery!

I don't think a person would carry a picture like that of themself. Perhaps it was a family member sent on in advance of their arrival so they could be identified. A cousin, brother or friend? A meeting or reunion on the dock? Where does that subway line take us? The evidence of that rendezvous tucked away in the book until it is delivered to a seller as part of a consignment from the estate of its owner. The life lived, the adventure endured.

Is there anything on the back of the picture to hint at where it was developed? Maybe a stopover on the way?

No unfortunately, all blank, and great points CAustin. Worth checking the rail lines and where they went for sure Pheroze.

I have purchased quite a few older books and have found surprises in quite a few of them and it is always fun to try and to find out any information that you can with what you found.

Great find along with a great book.

Good find! Its always interesting to find these gems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!