Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Two things I just learned about using my cell phone while traveling to South Africa from California using Verizon cell service.

One: my iPhone 12 will work without getting a new sim card. It will txt, email and make calls via travel pass plan. It’s about 20$ per day. I spoke with a tier 2 technician who explained this to me. Some Verizon customer service people don’t know this

Two: I just used my phone via WiFi while I traveled to and from South Africa. I turned off my cellular data in the general settings area. I used what’s app to talk to, send pictures and txt everyone.

When I got my bill they charged me an extra $100 bucks, the reason is on iPhone 12 and above they have another setting that must be turned off to. All the way at the bottom in settings it says WiFi assist???? If on it will find cellular data and use it. So crazy. They did take that $100 off my bill.

Also you must turn on roaming as well and your phone will capture cellular data from around the world.

I hope this helps. It would have been Nice to know my phone would have worked when I was in Cape Town.

E5F8DB1C-5BEB-490C-B14B-CEAE48761742.jpeg
87A0CC1E-3C06-48DE-87E7-49B76060A5B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Verizon and was curious as to how that would work when I travel to Namibia next year. Thanks!

Great info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.