Something for the kids? Hunting Video Game

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Thought some of you might find this interesting or humorous.

So my kids are always asking for hunting video games, something I've always loathed. Piles of killing. Unrealistic. Just sending all the wrong messages.

Anyway, we bought a remarkable video game. It's called "The Hunter: Call of the Wild". This is the penultimate game if you want your kids to have a "realistic" hunting experience.

For example:

-In three hours of play, we hadn't shot a single animal.

-We kept blowing stalks and couldn't get close.

-We got winded, sighted, or heard every time.

-When calling coyotes, it took 5 minutes by the watch. Just like in the real world, they wouldn't come in, they circled and winded us.

-If you shoot the first thing in the herd, its always a mediocre animal. Only if you sit still for several minutes praying you don't get seen or winded, does the big trophy start lurking at the edges.

-Kill something...hunting pressure. That area is ruined for a day or two in the game.

-Can calls. Rattle bags. Pop-Up blinds. Scents. Scent eliminator...these are things you work for in the game that cost a fortune.

-Several regions of the world to spend months playing in, from Washington to Africa to Europe.

I'm not much of a video game person, but after watching my kids play this, I'd pop it on late at night, turn on a hunting podcast, and just sit there glassing game for 4 hours...usually unsuccessfully.

This game is absolutely awesome, and the things in the game that happen are all "teachable moments" to discuss with the kids as to why things don't work out. For example, my kid erected a pop-up blind after hearing game calling a half mile away. He couldn't figure out why they'd never come in! Answer: They watched him put up his blind.

Starting the game with soft point .243 gun and bullets? Yep, you aren't going to get any experience for unethically shooting a moose that will not die from that shot. Get a poly .243 bullet and want to shoot a moose? You better be at 20 yards and do a neck shot or you won't get the penetration you need. Shoot a rabbit with a 7mm? You don't get an "integrity" bonus because only a jerk would shoot an animal with the wrong caliber. Wind drift? Bullet drop? Hand shake? Holding your breath too long? Heart rate? It all matters. Kill all the low-quality does in an area ruining it for trophy elk??

Anyway, I can't say enough about the quality of this "simulation" of which I was initially very skeptical. "The Hunter: Call of the Wild" is a great way for a grown-up to blow many, many hours when the kids aren't looking. It's the hardest video game I've ever played, period. The kids love it and it teaches them that same patience, preparation, and good judgment that is relevant to real-world hunting.

Available for most consoles and PC. Costs about $40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg