Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
I've decided I'd like to give bow hunting a try...

I admit however that I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it...

The wife and I joined a local archery club.. and will be taking a 1 hour "into" class next week.. I'm sure I'll pursue additional training (either formal or informal or both) after that as well...

Not knowing a thing, or even whether or not what I picked up is "right" for me.. I managed to grab a brand new Parker Eagle for $99 on fleabay a few minutes ago..

Whether or not its what I end up shooting (assuming I decide this is something I'll actually enjoy), I figured for $99, I really couldnt go wrong.. I know Parker has a lifetime warranty.. and I know this is an "entry" level bow.. but thats really about all I could figure out in the 15 minutes I had to make a bid decision before the auction I was watching ran out..

The bow is "plain".. Ill need everything.. it has no rest, sight, string stop, stabilizer,quiver, etc... I also have no arrows, no trigger, case, or anything else... All I have (in a few days, after it arrives) is a basic bow..

Im a blank canvas..

Anyone care to do a little educating?

Thanks!

Welcome to the world of bow hunting. Suggest you get a basic 3 pin sight (plenty of inexpensive but decent ones out there) a simple rest (maybe whisker biscuit, a wrist strap trigger release and some basic inexpensive carbon arrows like gold tip hunters. I assume you can't set up on your own, so buy at a pro shop and they'll likely install for free. They can also assess the condition of bow and string and fix/replace if faulty. If string is bad probably $100. Also get a d loop and peep. Then go shoot and have fun. I rarely use my bow mounted quiver, even when hunting so skip 4 now to lessen $. Plenty of videos on sight adjustment and tuning. Shoot and have fun. Set poundage at low enough to be relatively easy for now. Enjoy!

I hope the bow you just bought fits you.
When you go for your intro lesson get them to fit you properly.
If it does fit, then get them to do as LeeM suggests. Basic set up and go play.

After you have had some time and flung a few pointy sticks at a target to get the feel try out some other bows to see how they feel, for nothing more than an education.

Archery and Bow Hunting put a whole new twist on hunting. It's addictive and a great challenge to get good enough with the equipment and the ability to get up and close on the critters.

Have fun.

Make sure to get a recommendation for a good bow tech in your area some are just pushing product while others do good work. They can tune it and set it up for you it will shoot better that way.

You will need a release. I suggest getting a good wrist strap release - hard to lose while hunting. I have been through three bows and many arrow upgrades but am still using my original release. You can probably try quite a few out at your local pro shop so if you make sure you get one you like, you can avoid a lot of upgrade expenses.

Yea I second the wrist strap release and buy a good one the first time you won't regret it. I like stabilizers form limbsaver (quieter you can get the bow the less the chance the animal will jump the string)

Heavy arrows will do a lot to silence the noise from the bow and will also help penetration out a lot.

Yea but they slow down the arrow as well so... it's all about balance and what your hunting on that trip.

Yikes! You're making the same mistake I did when I first started.
I too purchased a cheap bow I never tested as my first bow years ago, and that was a terrible mistake. When I added a sight, rest and purchased a release, I shot so poorly that I was crushed thinking I was just terrible. I even had the bow setup at a reputable shop. The problem was that the bow didn't fit well in my hands even after it was adjusted properly. I kept thinking I was the problem, when it just wasn't the right fit.
Bows are like shoes. You need to be 100 percent sure the bow is comfortable for you and the right fit. The way it feels in your hand and how it draws will affect your shooting ability. Don't worry about brand at this stage. Most of today's major brands are reputable and stand behind good products.

My best advice for you is to try traditional and compound bows at your archery shop. See which you'd prefer technology wise first. After that, start trying every bow in the shop. It's a pain for the setup guys, but that's their job. Once you find a bow you love, buy that bow, then accessorize to your hearts content. Releases, sights and rests are all personal preference, but the bow has to be right.
Good luck!

Lrntolive , Hit the nail on the head ....... you maybe able to trade the Parker in if it does not fit you or save it for a fishing bow ( very addictive too ! LOL !)...... Go too a Pro shop get fitted and take lessons ...you will find a bow that fits and shoots right for you . I also found shooting clubs and 3D courses were invaluable for lessons learned . Welcome to my addiction ! Good luck and play safe !
Glen

There are so many brands on the market these days and they are all pretty good, if it was me buying my next bow i would go to the best bow shop in my area and shoot numerous brands of bows and see which one suits me the best. there is a big difference in grip on all of the brands and you will find a bow that just feels more comfortable in your hand that the others. feel how easy they draw and how solid the wall is at the back when the bow is fully drawn, then obviously which one is giving you the most consistent groups.
I find Hoyt to suit me the best but close second is the Bowtech and then Matthews, just bare in mind that these are all high end bows but if you buy a good bow it will last forever and you can easily sell them to buy a new one....

As a rangemaster at a club I can say start at the beginning, learn form and follow thorough before trying to become a pro. Learn good habits first instead of the bad ones. I suggest calling around and seeing if anyone in the shops is a NASP (National Archery in the Schools Program) instructor and have them train you with a Genesys bow. The bow has no set draw length and around 20 lb of draw. It's the 22 rimfire of the archery world. Listen and Learn the basics with it. Optimally I'd say shoot with your eyes closed at 10 feet for a few sessions just to focus on form and follow through properly. After that I see nothing wrong with the Parker as a starter, it appears very adjustable for draw length so it can be adjusted to fit you there. It's like the Winchester 30-30 of archery. It will work and it'll work well, but it won't be amazing. I've shot for 30 years now, if there's one thing I can say is I can pick up any bow of my draw length and comfortable draw weight and within a day I can shoot it well, I just may not like it much. Get it adjusted to your draw length, a 3 or 5 pin sight and peep sight, simple rest, release and arrows. Learn on this and once you know how to shoot well go back into the shops and experiment with better equipment for the bow that works perfectly for you.
Good luck.

I will agree here with the caveat that if you do prefer traditional or recurve bows over compound, the learning phase before you are proficient enough to hunt will be greater - especially with the traditional. As for the different brands, the new bows are all pretty damn good and efficient. It is very easy to find bows over 330 fps IBO rating, which will give you a more powerful arrow kinetic energy and momentum than a lower rated bow than many of the much older bows you can get used.

As for the "mistake" I wouldn't worry too much. You are basically only in $100, but the key is not to get discouraged if you don't like the bow. Try others out as well.

Oh, and if you want a great event to go to for bowhunting practice, shoot the Rinehart 100.

I bought my first bow 3 days before I went to this tournament they held last year in Fresno. We had a blast (me and my 2 daughters, 12 and 9 at the time).

https://www.r100.org/events/2017/3/roanoke-texas-21/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross