Some things can never be bettered?

Good leather hunting belt with cartridge holder, pouches, hunting knife
Leather backpack
Leather rifle and shotgun slings
Leather bino strap
Leather boots
Cotton hunting clothes
Wool socks
Barbour waxed field jacket (colder weather)
LL Bean cotton safari/hunting jacket (light jacket)
Flask with livation of choice (good vodka or whiskey for me)

If you couldn’t tell, love the smell and feel of good leather, old fashion hunting apparel, and good booze :)
We are on the same page fastrig.

We are on the same page fastrig.

Getting things ready for my first trip to Africa in April. Looked at my old leather belt, slings, etc. and they are definitely more than a bit worn out. Probably from me not taking quite as good of care of them over the years, them getting thrown in a box in the hot garage, etc. Just bit the bullet and ordered a whole new hunting kit from Els and Co. out of South Africa. Should be here sometime in November or December, early Christmas present :)

...Just bit the bullet and ordered a whole new hunting kit from Els and Co. out of South Africa. Should be here sometime in November or December, early Christmas present :)

I know it is a bit late now but @African Sporting Creations carries all the Els gear. You'd have it in a week. ;)

I am a fan of their stuff.

BUctk5kl.jpg

Attachments

• BUctk5kl.jpg
    BUctk5kl.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Getting things ready for my first trip to Africa in April. Looked at my old leather belt, slings, etc. and they are definitely more than a bit worn out. Probably from me not taking quite as good of care of them over the years, them getting thrown in a box in the hot garage, etc. Just bit the bullet and ordered a whole new hunting kit from Els and Co. out of South Africa. Should be here sometime in November or December, early Christmas present :)
You will not be disappointed Fastrig, they are the best. They supply to Westley Richards and Rigby too. I use their canvas and leather slings and the 9 compartment cartridge holder. What are you going to hunt? Using what rifles?

You will not be disappointed Fastrig, they are the best. They supply to Westley Richards and Rigby too. I use their canvas and leather slings and the 9 compartment cartridge holder. What are you going to hunt? Using what rifles?

Going to Limpopo province in South Africa for Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, and Impala. Taking either a 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R, haven‘t decided which yet. Everyone highly recommended Els and Co. and they were so helpful and responsive to my questions....their staff is lovely with infectious smiles, wonderful story about their company.

My Lovely Spousal Unit
Filson Wool
Merino Wool
My .375 Ruger Alaskan in Hogue overmolded stock with Leupold 2.5-8x33
My GSP
M-1 Garands
Mausers
Standing knee deep in 105mm tank cannon cases in the tank turret
The first cup of coffee in the morning
Glocks
Wiggy Boots
A book on safari hunting
Watching the sun come up in the deer woods
Eberlestock Halftrack
.30-06
.495 A-Square
.35 WAI
.358WIN
Hearing "Class Dismissed!"
My Soldiers seeing me coming at the PX and spacing themselves out for 100 yards just to get me to salute 25 times
Being asked three times by my NCOs to resign my commission and become an NCO
Maxpedition Mongo versapack
Placing medals on my Soldiers, and new rank on their collars
Searching for my duffel bag for 20 minutes to finally discover that my men had lugged the damned thing to my barracks room for me.
Finishing a rifle build

I will probably think of some more...

It is where the hunter feels more alive than ever. There is no money in the world that can pay for those moments.
Many a hunter has become a casualty of being addicted to that feeling. Like all things, best in moderation.

a ) Spanish side by side shotguns
b ) .458 Winchester Magnum
c ) Eley Alphamax LG shells
d ) Nosler Partitions
e ) Hornady copper clad steel jacketed meplat nosed solids
f ) Check dress shirts ( because they are effortless to keep clean in the field )
g ) Case chrome vanadium carbon steel trapper knives
h ) Silk suspenders
i ) Cream flannel dress trousers
j ) United States military surplus army boots
K ) Tweed sport coats
L ) Felt bush hats
M ) Budweiser beer
N ) Salt beef sandwiches ( because they keep very well on hunting trips )
O ) Coleman’s Mustard ( because it keeps very well and goes excellently with game meat which is cooked and eaten in the field )
P ) Enfield 1917 actions
Q ) Military style floor plate release configuration on dangerous game rifles
No to the mustard and Budweiser, plus ... in my country men wear braces and women wear suspenders!:D Otherwise, right with you.

No to the mustard and Budweiser, plus ... in my country men wear braces and women wear suspenders!:D Otherwise, right with you.
@ZG47
Thank you so much . Yes , I first learnt that suspenders are called “ braces “ in the United Kingdom and Australia sometime in 1978 . In the United Kingdom and Australia , “ suspenders “ are used to refer to the garments which hold up ladies’ stockings .

And yes . Some people find English Coleman’s mustard to be far too pungent . It is a bit of an acquired taste , I concede .

@ZG47
Thank you so much . Yes , I first learnt that suspenders are called “ braces “ in the United Kingdom and Australia sometime in 1978 . In the United Kingdom and Australia , “ suspenders “ are used to refer to the garments which hold up ladies’ stockings .

And yes . Some people find English Coleman’s mustard to be far too pungent . It is a bit of an acquired taste , I concede .
I am actually in New Zealand. We have a great deal of fun with the Aussies over names. In NZ Durex is a condom brand. In Australia Durex is a clear adhesive tape. Many a young Australian lady has entered a local office environment and innocently asked for the ‘Durex’!

Was surprised that Els doesn’t offer a good leather field backpack, had to source that from a quality leather company here is Texas. I know most don’t in Africa, from what I’ve read, but I carry my pack when I go to the field. It isn’t large or full/heavy, actually it‘s pretty light, but there are certain things I just like to carry with me as I’ve had way to many times when I needed one of them and had to hike back to the truck to get it, go without, or jerry-rig something. Know Africa is different with all the staff helping out, but I like to be self-reliant if something goes south.

Was surprised that Els doesn’t offer a good leather field backpack, had to source that from a quality leather company here is Texas. I know most don’t in Africa, from what I’ve read, but I carry my pack when I go to the field. It isn’t large or full/heavy, actually it‘s pretty light, but there are certain things I just like to carry with me as I’ve had way to many times when I needed one of them and had to hike back to the truck to get it, go without, or jerry-rig something. Know Africa is different with all the staff helping out, but I like to be self-reliant if something goes south.
Courteney does a very nice one Fastrig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg