Sole models/ brands/ materials to look for?

channelkat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mozambique
Any advice on particular boot soles for non-mountainous African hunts? I gather that my PH may not appreciate the loudness of my usual mountain backpacking boots. Something like the Vibram Ripple sole, or Panama sole soft/ quiet enough? or are the famous brands made with supper soft soles, like crepe rubber?

I have EEE wide feet and jacked up ankles, so it tends to be a real pain to find good ones. I was considering having an old pair of jungles resoled, maybe getting a custom warm weather boot built down the road. Before I talk to my boot guys, I thought I'd ask you all!

I'd say just take and wear what are comfortable to you. This past June I wore a pair of Crispy Colorado's unibsilated hikers. Others wore their regular hunting boots from home.

If you are rifle hunting you'll likely be far enough away that a little sound won't hurt. If you are bow hunting odds are you'll be in a blind

I have a pair of Courtney's and they are a very good boot. Built in Africa for Africa. They also come with the "cool factor" built in.

I also have a pair of Merrell Moab 2, wide width, 8" uppers for ankle support, and the side zipper to help get on/off. These have become my new favorite hiking boot. I haven't taken them to Africa yet, but they are going to Namibia with me in May. The military used them in the desert so.....we will see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 8.12.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-21 at 8.12.47 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
As mentioned earlier, get Courtney's from African Sporting Creations. I normally wear an EE or EEE in other boots and these fit great. Make sure to buy the insoles for them as well from ASC. Great boot and great people to deal with. Shipping is usually only a few days.

Courteney ripple sole.
Good point there ☝️. The “tyre tread” sole may be a hark back to when sole’s actually were tyre carcasses hacked out but imho they attract too many small stones and pebbles.
I had to get a pair resoled and i ordered a pair of the ripple soles. I might add I’m quite happy with them.

I've had good luck with the plain Rocky S2V rkc050 (uninsulated, non-steel/protective toe and non-waterproof). Excellent ankle support, long lasting tread and good ventilation.

1679426856583.png

1679426895317.png

In truth there is no real special requirement for footwear other than you be comfortable walking in them for several miles a day. Your regular hunting or even trail hiking boots should be fine. If you really want to "look the part", talk to @African Sporting Creations about some Courtney's.

Good point there ☝️. The “tyre tread” sole may be a hark back to when sole’s actually were tyre carcasses hacked out but imho they attract too many small stones and pebbles.
I had to get a pair resoled and i ordered a pair of the ripple soles. I might add I’m quite happy with them.

Depends what you're doing and where you're going. I have a pair of boots and two pairs of shoes with the ripple soles for around town. They are not safe to wear in rain/ice in the US as they have no traction. Fine for sandy ground in Africa or dry around town use in the States.

The tractor tyre tread is definitely a better choice for climbing gomas and kopis in Africa. Yes, they pick up thorns and pebbles, but that's the all-terrain Africa tread. They are however, terrible in American soft soils as they pick up huge amounts of damp soil and you'll leave a trail wherever you walk in your home with them on. Frustrating to take them off by the door and find huge reverse cast chunks of dirt on the doormat.

In short, they are all built for a given purpose and expect pleasure when used for the right application and misery when you have the wrong sole for the local conditions.

I run Danner Recurves and Irish Setter Hikers. Both have Vibram soles. Anything with a Vibram sole has treated me well. Red Wings, actual Vibrams, Setters, Danners, etc.

I have miles on my Recurves and the Setter Hikers. The hikers I brought to Hawaii and did several hikes in everything from lava rock to absurdly humid and wet jungle. The Vibrams held up. After the lava rock hike my Setters looked like they got dragged behind a truck but held up and the Vibram sole was no worse for the wear.

I wear the Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker boot and love them. I wear them for just about everything. Uninsulated and provide a lot of support.
One thing about boots is that everyone’s foot is different. What fits me well may no fit someone else. You really need to try on several different brands.

The Cleat sole are a good alternative. Stones don’t get stuck and still good grip while climbing Koppies.

IMO nothing wrong with Vibrams, especially if worn a bit. Which means boots will be well broke in.

I have a pair of Belleville AFTW in 11W that works great for me.
Comfortable walking anywhere, mud, sand, snow, shallow water, etc for a full day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.