Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
STARS AND STRIPES • May 11, 2022

A U.S. soldier was killed Tuesday in a bear attack while training in Anchorage, Alaska, local Army officials said.

Officials at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson said the soldier was part of a small team training in the vicinity of the Anchorage Regional Landfill, the Anchorage Daily News reported Wednesday.

The soldier’s name was withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The 673rd Security Forces Squadron initially responded to the attack, and Alaska Wildlife Troopers have launched a search for the bear within the training area, local media reported. The area is closed to the public.

The type of bear involved in the attack was not identified, but brown and black bears are native to the area.

Putin warned us this was coming...

935A7F89-3D64-450D-A782-B6227E8F89C8.jpeg

No (.429+ cal.) sidearm while adjacent to a landfill where hunting is prohibited in AK?? Bears are nearly everywhere there. Or, did the puny .22 fmj provide little assistance in the killing dep't.?

Last edited:
Sad to hear a serviceman has lost his life this way.

All over the news here.

It's an area to the west of the landfill, not right next to it. It's very wooded.

Too many unknowns at this point for me to make many comments other than there are no shortage of black and brown bears on Joint Base Elmendor-Richardson (JBER). I've seen them both within easy walking distance of dorms and family housing on the Elmendorf AFB side when I worked on base.

You cannot trust Polar or Browns. Their main mission is to EAT a LOT. Picked up several cans of bear spray for my son today, but I'm not 100% confident in it...for when the 454 isn't handy.

Heck! I hadn't heard abut this. Local news is a little hard for me to come by these days.
If he was on duty on the base I'm sure the soldier was not allowed to have live ammo.

Heck! I hadn't heard abut this. Local news is a little hard for me to come by these days.
If he was on duty on the base I'm sure the soldier was not allowed to have live ammo.
They should perhaps modify that policy (like even the CN gov't. did with respect to traveling from the continental US through CN to AK with firearms, even pistols-with the proper permits.)

This happen right after I got back from anchorage. I went for a hike by eagle river which is just a few minutes from the base.

They had seen some bears over the last few days before I got there. What they had seen was brown bears.

This is a real tragedy and very sad to hear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg